Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Various Ways to Play Sims 3

cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
Often I am guilty of making the assumption that most people play the way I do. Then I see a topic on these forums that shatters that illusion. So I'm curious to find out the various ways people play the Sims 3.

What towns do you play -
1. mostly EA towns with the population as is?
2. mostly EA towns but add to, remove or alter some or all of the population?
3. CC towns?

What kind of households do you play -
1. EA townies and NPCs?
2. CAS created sims, either your own or downloaded?
3. CAS created sims with one or more EA sims added to the household?

What is your play style -
1. rotational, playing each household in town in turn?
2. mostly a single household but occasionally switching to other households to check up on household members who have moved out?
3. strictly a single household except maybe in the initial setup of your town?

I play EA towns with populations as is, EA town with slightly altered populations and EA town with the whole population replaced and CC towns which often require generating the whole population. I play CAS created households with occasionally EA sims added to it. I mostly play single households but in multi-generational games I have switched households to check up on family that have moved out (very infrequently). Even when I have created every sim in town my main focus is my household.

I thought of another area I'm curious about.

Do you play with supernaturals? If so do you limit a game to only certain kinds? If you don't play with supernaturals do you alter the EA townies who are or do you remove them?

I often play with no occults in my towns but when I do I limit the kinds of occults in any one game. I've played a ghost game - been there done that. I've played a werewolf game - been there done that. I often play with vampires but when I'm not planning to have one in my household there are no vampires in the town. None of my games have IFs, aliens, zombies or plant sims. I started a game with a genie before I moved to my new computer and plan to play one again. I haven't tried witches or fairies but plan to one day. May try a merfolk but I'm not all that enthused. I have changed occult sims to non occults and have removed them completely in games where I want no occults.

Comments

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    The first time I ever booted up Sims 3, coming from a Sims Freeplay background, I deleted all the townies and started making my own (cause that's what you do in Freeplay). My plan was to copy my Sims Freeplay town with a town full of my own sims. I have yet to complete that task. Came here to ask a question and started wondering about these 'townies' everyone was talking about and started playing them! So:

Three main games:

1) Legacy play in Sunset Valley with my founder who married Morgana Wolf. Their descendants marry townies.
    2) Townie game in Sunset Valley where I play the townies until their lives have played out then switch to another household of townies (aging off) and,
    3) My own sims in Elmira City, an unpopulated CC world that I am slowly filling.

No supernaturals in my game. They're disabled in options. If I see them any town I make them human. :)
    And what a lovely positive thread. Thanks :)
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Towns

I either play EA worlds with the population as is, or I play CC worlds and use NRaas SP to rapidly immigrate residents. I generally don't fuss over the existing population except to maybe move some out of houses I'd like to play in.

Households

A little bit of everything. I don't create sims from scratch in CAS anymore. I've done that twice though. I have downloaded a bunch of sims and used them to set up households in the household bin for NRaas SP to use as genetic sources for immigration. I occasionally use those downloaded those sims and pick traits appropriate for whatever I'm trying to do in a new game.

Mostly though I save to the CAS bin interesting sims I find in the worlds I've played or born to my active families. Then I'll reuse them in other games. Sometimes they'll marry NPCs, sometimes not. Twice I've played an existing EA sim in the world they come from, and once I saved 2 EA sims to the bin and recreated them as a couple in CAS for a new game. And once I took an offspring of on active family to a new world (via Traveler) and married in an NPC.

Play Style

I don't rotate to other households at all. The rest of the town is pretty much on their own and serves as a backdrop for my active family. I recently tried to set up Traveler connected worlds so I could rotate between 2 different households in 2 different worlds. But I found promised wishes of the original family wiped on rotating to the original world, which is a deal-breaker for me. Luckily I backed up the save just before I moved part of the family to the new world and I'll return to that save someday to continue playing the original family. (Essentially I forked the save and won't be playing it rotationally).

Supernaturals

I don't mind supernaturals in my towns at all. But since I tend to enable NRaas SP immediately on starting a new world I generally don't get any unless EA created them that way. I would like more supernaturals in the worlds I do play; I'll have to figure out how best to achieve that.

I play with my actives as supernaturals from time to time. I'm currently playing a family of mermaids, and previously was playing a family of plantsims. My 2 games before that were mostly aliens. I never use IFs though, and most every family I play has at least one alien abduction baby. I've played fairy sims, and a long game with witches. I briefly played a vampire sim in a game, and mummies in another. I haven't really played a werewolf sim nor a genie. And I disable the zombies. Oh, I've done a household of mostly plumbots as well. Only one simbot though. I did have a ghost teen for awhile, but brought him back to life once he aged up to YA.

The only time I've ever removed occult states was when I thought university was being taken over by vampires. I had my active sims create a bunch of Potent Cure Elixirs and ran around the town curing vampires for a term.
  • Doctor_VikterDoctor_Vikter Posts: 247 Member
    edited September 2017
    Towns I mostly play:
    EA Towns and CC towns
    Population is usually altered as the game goes on

Households I mostly play:
    My own CAS created Sims with EA Sims (townies) sometimes in the mix

Play Style:
    I'm a bit sporadic with what households I play and really depends on my mood. I can focus on one household for months then all of a sudden switch and forget about that household for awhile.

Supernaturals:
    I play with quite a few Occult Sims, mostly my own which I try and portray more as monsters of science rather than the supernatural but I generally leave some of the generated Supernatural townies in game. I actually have never played a game with a Sim as a mummy and played very briefly with the Mermaid lifestate just to see what it was about. I mainly have Werewolves, Vampires, and Wizards/Witches. One main Sim of mine is a fairy but that's mostly it.

I did download a Zombie Apocalypse mod for Sims 3 for giggles a few years back. It was fun for awhile until I really couldn't communicate with anyone after they all were turned into the living dead.
    sK2U2Wr.png
    Art by Pirate-Cashoo
    ||Steam || Origin: Z0mbie_Cakez ||Art Blog ||
    Editing Tutorial
    SimblrTwitter
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I play with my actives as supernaturals from time to time. I'm currently playing a family of mermaids, and previously was playing a family of plantsims.

That would be fun to try! I've never played a mermaid or a plantsim. I guess I don't consider them supernatural? So very much still to do with this game. :smiley:

• jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    Towns Played--I mostly play in EA worlds that came with EPs. There are several store & user-created worlds that I'd love to play in. I haven't bought any store worlds though, because lame adult life :p gets in the way, and I hardly ever get to play anymore. I do use NRaas SP, so new families are constantly moving into empty houses because of that mod.

Kind of Household--I often create a single sim, usually YA but sometimes as a teen with parents. I then find a townie for them to date and eventually marry, since I usually play families.

Play Style--I usually play a single household, but that's because I haven't had the chance to learn a good way to play rotationally and how to switch active households...like I said, I don't get very much time to play these days, but I love to when I get the chance.

Supernaturals--I don't tend to create supernatural sims. They're not something I'm really into, but I enjoy seeing them in the towns and having my sims befriend and interact with them.

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I mostly play in Sunset Valley, although I have played in other worlds and have been fortunate to have been gifted three worlds in the past few months. I totally annihilate the SV residents and fill the town with sims of my own making with the occasional made over townie from SV and other worlds.

I generally start with one or two of my own sims and play generational saves. Although I concentrate mostly on the active family, I meddle a lot in the affairs of the residents. I never switch households although my finger is in every pie! I know every sim born in my town and will nudge them (using MC) towards each other if I think they will make a good couple or break them up if I think their relationship is leading nowhere and won't produce children for my town.

I haven't installed Supernatural so am limited to vampires and ghosts. I generally don't like either in my town but will make an exception if I feel like playing a vampire as the active sim. One of my recent saves is a vampire and ghost couple who have had several children.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Here's mine.

TOWNS -I mostly play in custom worlds that come unpopulated though I'll not turn down playing an EA world starting in an empty save file version.I tend to populate manually and am very heavily Modded.I've got games in Gibsons,Winfield,Oak Leaf,Glenvale County,Evermore Falls,Deery Meadows and Storybrook County already populated with sims I play.I've got Sunset Valley2 still not yey populated as I was setting the town up.

HOUSEHOLDS -I play a lot of different kinds of households and my social workers come in as playable households to help families in trouble.Sims can be created or EA ones saved to port into a new town.

PLAY STYLE -I mostly play TS2 rotational though sometimes play a single houshold for a shorter story.I also have legacies going with multiple genertaions planned and a 100 baby challenge in Storybrook.I will als play focusing on a family or a few families and switch other families as story progression to play them in that role and pretend the changes were made by story progression.

SUPERNATURALS -I control how many and what supernaturals get into my towns as I populate manually and do story progression on manual mode using the NRaas Mod version.I will allow any type in though some only in small numbers.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    I don't use mods or CC.

Towns: I own all EA store worlds and all EPS; my most-frequently played are Sunset Valley, Midnight Hollow, & Aurora Skies.

Households: It depends on the save/my mood/the position of the sun in the sky, but I lean toward:

1) a single Sim, created in CAS by me, with aging disabled and a specific goal in mind (ie career progression or LTW);

2) modified legacy-style play, which I start with premades~ aging is enabled and born-in-game heirs marry townies.

I rarely switch between families as I actively work to keep my Sims out of social groups and I don't have that control if I'm not playing them.

Supernaturals are always disabled in my towns and I almost never create them or play premade ones. The only Supernatural Sim I play is a witch, and she's a single Sim created in CAS by me with aging disabled; I don't like them in legacy play due to the lifespan difference (they outlive their human counterparts and it messes with their reputations (there are only so many times you can buy Clean Slate when you play on Short lifespan).
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    What towns do you play -
    3. CC towns?
    It's always option 2. I don't think I've ever removed any of the population, but I usually add to it. I love seeing lots of townies around.
    I've installed some beautiful player-made towns and am planning to install more, but haven't played a long-lasting save in one yet!
    1. EA townies and NPCs?
    Almost always option 3. I start with a single sim I create, and have them marry a townie.
    I love adding other people's CAS created sims as townies, but I never played any of them as active.
    2. mostly a single household but occasionally switching to other households to check up on household members who have moved out?
    Always option 3. I have no interest in rotational playing.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2017
    What towns do you play -
    1. mostly EA towns with the population as is (and my sim's family or sims I put in there because they are going to play a part in my sims' lives)
    2. mostly EA towns but add to, remove or alter some or all of the population
    3. CC towns

1. EA townies and NPCs
    2. CAS created sims, either your own or downloaded
    3. CAS created sims with one or more EA sims added to the household

4. Sims born in my game (offspring of selfmade sims obviously ;)) and CAS created sims

1. rotational, playing each household in town in turn
    2. mostly a single household but occasionally switching to other households to check up on household members who have moved out

3. strictly a single household except maybe in the initial setup of your town

Do you play with supernaturals?
    Absolutely, love them <3! I do have all life states in my world disabled though, I don't want a town filled with witches, fairies, vampires and werewolves. Mermaids I always cure, using Mastercontroller.

Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    What towns do you play -
    3. CC towns?

I play all of the above. It depends on the story I'm telling as to which town I will use. I love exploring player made worlds and used those frequently when my sims go on vacation.

2. EA townies and NPCs?
    3. CAS created sims, either your own or downloaded?
    4. CAS created sims with one or more EA sims added to the household?

I usually make my own sims, singles or families. I usually pair them with sims I've made or sims I've downloaded from friends in the game. I rarely play EA sims, but, did enjoy playing Christopher Steel and Annabelle Oinksomething (ghost) recently as a change of pace.

I play rotational to keep the story flowing among the sims I make. I'm learning to add other worlds via travel to my saves so I can play sims in other worlds and have them mingle with each other.

I love Supernaturals and I have them in all my games even if my sims that I am playing are not supernaturals. I think it just adds to the fun for me to see some of EA sims become werewolves and fairy's etc. I do limit the number with the settings in my mods.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Thank you all - @ZeeGee , @TreyNutz , @Doctor_Vikter , @jordand , @Mikezumi , @TadOlson , @lauravonawesome , @PalmArrow , @CravenLestat , @JoAnne65 , @bekkasan - for sharing about how you play Sims 3. It's really such a great game that there are so many ways to play and also gives the opportunity to be creative making or tweaking sims, lots and towns and writing stories.

I did get some ideas of things to try, especially using potions to change occult states that @TreyNutz and @CravenLestat mentioned. I did do that to create a werewolf in my "Girl Who Cried Wolf" story but I usually use NRaas MasterControl and Story Progression mods when I change the population in my towns. Going around using elixirs sounds like fun. :)
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited September 2017
    What towns do you play -
    3. CC towns?

Tend to add my own CAS types to the town in addition to the population all governed with NRAAS mods.

2. EA townies and NPCs?
    3. CAS created sims, either your own or downloaded?
    4. CAS created sims with one or more EA sims added to the household?

Haven't been able to figure out rotational play without plumming up my main household so once the game is in motion, the family is all I play. The rest of the families pretty much do whatever they want. I haven't got all the expansion packs yet, and Supernatural is one that I don't have, so I don't currently have supernatural characters in my game. And more likely than not, when I do get it, more than likely it will be mostly werewolves...just for comedy.

Unlike LGR, I find the werewolves amusing... (getting a concussion as a result of inappropriate sniffing...is the height of hilarity...in my juvenile mind trapped in the body of a 47 year old).
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2017
    "What towns do you play?"
    Mostly EA towns with the population as is. Sometimes I play custom worlds as well.

"What kind of households do you play?"
    I start out with EA premades, my own, or downloaded and then the born-game sims marry whoever I see fit.

"What is your play style?"
    I stick to one household. In the last year or so, I've been playing challenges on normal lifespan. NRaas: Story Progression keeps me in the loop so I can still keep an eye on how the town is progressing. I've been wanting to try out rotational but not anytime soon. I have other plans that will probably take me more than a year to complete.

"Do you play with supernaturals?"
    I do play with supernaturals occasionally all though some of them I don't bother with like mermaids. I don't allow supernaturals to run wild throughout the world. If a premade is an occult by default, I keep them that way.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • SmilinSimsSmilinSims Posts: 560 Member
    Reading all this makes me jealous! I still have all of my old Sims games - but they're for windows. Now I am a Mac user... Oh how sad I am (although, I do love my Mac!)
    Do you want to WIN the new Sims 4 Laundry Day Stuff Pack??? To WIN you MUST be subscribed to my YOUTUBE channel Watch contest video for rules!

acrehk.jpg

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    I could do just about anything.

I play Supernaturals. I have all Supernaturals turned off in options and prefer to make my own Supernaturals in CAS and use mods to guarantee hybrid babies. So far my born in game hybrids are still babies or children. My favourite supernatural is the genie as genies are so useful. Then I like fairies because they look pretty and witches are just fun. I enjoy werewolves too but avoid vampires as I tend to kill them too easily.

I have several Sims 3 folders in My Documents. They are each set up for specific games and may contain no third party custom content up to almost 8 GB of third party custom content.

My households may contain any number of Sims from 1 to 50+ depending on my plans for the particular game.

The 50+ household was set up specifically to get some nice wedding shots. I vowed never again but have done it a couple of times now and will probably do it again at some stage. No plans for it right now though.

Wedding_Groups001.jpg

I tend to prefer Sims I make myself but I do play townies.

Occasionally I might play an existing pre made household.

Mostly I will allow my own Sims to develop a relationship with a townie or homeless sim and eventually, if all goes well, add them to my Sims household.

I'm most familiar with townies from Sunset Valley but am making an effort to get to know Sims from other worlds. Favourites are Christopher Steel, Gobias Koffi, Gage Briody, Shark Rackett, Sam Sekemoto, Kara Carter plus a few others. I've played a lot more of them than that in various bames over the years.

Shops_K6_Garden_Floor.jpg

I only played Kara Carter once and she was my tester sim when I made Carter's Corner Store which I have on the Exchange. I often place it in my games as I now have lots of items in it that I like to use but are only found in BuyDebug. It just makes it easier than going into buy mode to get things my sim wants for their home.

Shops_K01.jpg

I have one game based on a single sim who had 15 children. She happens to be the second household I ever made in the sims 3 and I have used her in many different games over the years. I always like to see how her babies turn out.

Here is a family tree of one of her daughters in my current 'Big Game'.

Hannah_Hansen_FT001.jpg

I add Sims to games using various worlds by several different processes.

I have a large library of households I made over several years. This is somewhere around 400 households. I have most of them saved as Sims3Pack files so they can be installed into any new Sims 3 folder when needed.

Occasionally particular Sims may appear in several households in my library. Mostly the households are individual Sims but there are a lot of groups of 8 young adults. These Sims have usually been previously played and they have skills and careers.

I take households from my library and add them to worlds thereby giving me a few familiar Sims in a new world. I may rotate between households.

If I accidentally add two households of 8 young adults to a game and find that one of more of them are in both households I will usually change the name and appearance of one of them and make them related - brothers or cousins. I once made a set of three ghost couples to give a pair of my sims parents and grandparents to link them up as cousins when I found I'd placed the same sim into the game twice in two different households. I have several pairs of brothers in my 'Big Game' who were initially the same sim in two different households that I placed into my game.

My 'Big Game' is based on my sim and her 15 children.

Patience001.jpg

I have added numerous households from my library. I have used mods to move households to multiple worlds in the same game. I gather groups of young Sims from various households and worlds together in a boarding school to allow them to learn skills in batches and they also gain close friendships with Sims they may never have met otherwise. I've found this livens up my worlds as they grow up and visit and otherwise interact with their friends.

My boarding schools evolve. I recently built a new one in Chocolate Cake Island.

This is an early version of it.
    BoardingSchool002.jpg

I first started building the boarding school while I had the game in Dragon Valley.

It gets added to by each sim who lives there for a while. It eventually became too resource hungry and I've abandoned this building for now and have built a completely new boarding school for Chocolate Cake Island.

This is the new boarding school building in Chocolate Cake Island
    BoardingSchoolFarm001.jpg

I chose Chocolate Cake Island as it is a medium sized world and is empty. I want my boarding school to be there and nothing much else. I rotate sims of all ages through it from all households in all worlds I have in my game. I'll be adding extra worlds as I go along. The worlds I currently have in my game are Legacy Island III, Sunlit Tides, Hidden Springs, Moonlit Falls, Barnacle Bay, Lucky Palms and Dragon Valley plus all three World Adventure worlds. I have had them living in other worlds before I started using Traveler mod to have them in multiple worlds. Previous worlds include Sunset Valley Second Edition Final, Twin Towns, Dragon Valley.

My households in the Big Game can be any size. When playing the boarding school they are usually around 24 Sims as that is the number of Sims Portrait Panes displays but I don't always limit them to this number.

I currently have two other Sims 3 folders set up for two very different games.

The game I'm currently playing is specifically to try for badges. I got the badge to fight 3 sharks yesterday. My sim in that game is a single sim living alone in a one sim household. She's in Isla Paradiso to hopefully get me the badge for uncovering 5 islands.

I have another older game that I will continue to play where the household has grown. It now has a few sims in it. Can't remember exactly how many - they include a witch I've copied across from my Big Game, three Genies and 5 human Sims. They have since had babies. These babies are now aging up (I use cake when I'm ready as I have kept my ageing on but to maximum ages). The two little genies are the eldest. Their mother is a genie and father is Salty Seaworth. Then the witch decided to plant two forbidden fruit and both of them turned into plant sim babies. They are also children in my game now. Next the witch cloned Triton King and little Terry King is still a toddler but will age up soon (with cake). One of the two male sims in my game got abducted (a common occurence). They were in France at the time. This abduction resulted in a pregnancy and this introduced Pennie to the game. She is his alien daughter. Somewhat later the other male in the household got abducted in China and he also had a baby girl. These girls are full aliens.

Elaines_Birthday003.jpg

This household was originally made to get me a badge to make a lot of elixirs. They made the elixirs but didn't trigger the badge. I subsequently learned this badge doesn't work with occults and most of them are occults.

You can see a few of their elixirs in this pic - they are in shelves all around the room.
    Dianna010.jpg

They were originally based on Isla Paradiso and I am making a series of videos for You Tube called The Isla Paradiso Bunch. It is all about this household.

They have discovered all islands in Isla Paradiso, made huindreds of elixirs, and completed most of their life time wishes. One of them has got to level 10 in the lifeguard career. They have visited all worlds in World Adventures and have completed all but one tomb. That one tomb is glitched and in spite of numerous attempts it keeps dropping out so I'm going to do the tombs all again with a fresh sim at some stage.

This is a link to my channel if you're interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuW44b3uCMtCSaq4gwC8EZg

It is my first attempt at YouTube and I'm still learning how to do it.

This household of sims is currently moving around various worlds. My plan is to showcase one of my own builds in each of these worlds. This is partly because my Showcase thread in Creative Corner has recently mysteriously been deleted. I don't plan to replace it.

They have so far lived in Sunlit Tides, where they showed off my Sweetie Treats Roller Coaster. It is a build where my goal was to use as much as possible from the Katy Perry Sweet Treats stuff pack.
    Haley002.jpg

This roller coaster is also in Chocolate Cake Island in my Big Game.

The next world they moved to is Hidden Springs. They have my Green Fun Park, another roller coaster, to show off in Hidden Springs.
    Green_Fun_Park001.jpg

I started aging the toddlers up so I could have a range of ages to use the various objects in my fun parks.

I have left them there for now and started a couple of new games.

I recently started a fresh Sims 3 folder for a new game and a new series of videos based on a crazy idea I had. It is still evolving. It is about my McFluff family consisting of one human and 17 cats. They are all in one household.

The purpose of this game is to make a series of videos. But the first video isn't up yet due to a technical failure of the free software I'm currently using. I'm also in the process of getting a room ready to set up a new compute I've recently purchased. When that is all set up I'll buy some new software and start afresh with the videos. Videos take me a lot of time to make and I think my time would be better used by finishing the set up of this new version of my computer room. Hopefully I'll have it all up and running in another couple of weeks.

This is my motor bike riding human who lives with the 17 cats.
    Gertie_Greene001.jpg

And finally, I have another game recently begun. It consists of a single sim household and my goal is to get badges for revealing 5 islands. She is in the lifeguard career and has recently got to level 10 in that career. She's rescued about 23 Sims from drowning and has to rescue 35 to reveal an island. She has already revealed 2 other islands and has to gain two more levels in diving to find a fourth. Then I will decide which will be the fifth island. There are a few possibilities as there are 8 islands to reveal. This badge didn't trigger for me when the large household found all 8 of them because it requires a single sim to do the finding and in a multi sim household they randomly get credited with finding the islands.

Over the years my play style has changed. Before mods - pre Sims 4 release - I avoided family play mostly. This was due to family trees breaking. I generally had households of 8 young adults with free will and I watched what they did in huge houses filled with temptation. I rarely interacted or even saw the townies.

Then I moved on to building and I have several builds on the Exchange. These include a few houses and roller coasters plus a couple of other things. I also have a few sims including some fairies. All of my fairies have the last name of Flower - so I can identify them as fairies easily in my library. There is no CC in any of my Exchange items as I hadn't put any cc onto my computer while I was putting things up onto the exchange.

When I set my new computer up and install the game on it I might make a few more CC free sims on it before I add my CC to it. Otherwise I'm not putting things onto the Exchange any more as I'm having too much fun with my cc and mods now and don't want anything to inadvertently get cc attached to it when I load it to the Exchange.

Now I have CC in my game I use as many worlds as possible from different makers incliding all store worlds.

I play whatever type of game appeals to me at the time and have several Sims 3 folders set up on my computer so I can choose what goes into any particular game. If I find I want something I haven't installed yet - I go get it and install it.

So, as I said at the start of this long piece of writing - I could do anything when it comes to the sims. There are a lot of things I haven't done and there are things I wouldn't like to do but that can change.

It isn't completely impossible for me to suddenly decide to stop playing altogether. But I have too many plans for that to happen soon.

Happy Simming
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Towns

I mostly play EA towns and I tell myself either that I'm not going to alter it or I'm only going to alter it a little. But I started adding a ton of people because I love my towns to be super busy. I think It was to the point where there was always someone walking down the sidewalk and every where you went, even at like three in the morning when I thought my sim would be alone there were sims. Before I used mods my game would start killing off people. I'll add as many lots as I can (that unroutabe terrain :weary: ) and then put in even more community lots like parks, clubs, restaurants. Then of course I'd also add more houses and redecorate them and the already existing ones. I love for the sims of my town to have many options.

I have played a few CC towns but I absolutely love Riverview, Sunset Valley, and Moonlight Falls. I even like Bridgeport, even though I hate the water color there and need way more room to add lots. I wish we'd had more EA city worlds.

Households

I rarely ever play premade households or premade sims nor do I download households or sims. Only if I don't have time to create my own sim(s) and I want to get a quick feel of a new world do I play one of the premade family. I prefer my own sims. The households range between one to twelve sims depending on what I have in mind. I have to use mods but I love big households!

I'll even create my own townies sometimes and add them in the town I'm playing with my main sim(s). I tend to get attached to my townie sims and play their households for a bit instead of my main household(s). Mods also help with that as well because I like for some of my townies to already have some experience like certain levels or skills, maybe a degree, a few relationships, a job, and a bit more money so they'll fit in. I like that for my sims too depending on how I plan to play them.

Playstyle

Uh... well I don't play every household but I play quite a few, my main household(s) and my townies households on occasion. I like to be the puppet master for my main household(s) and occasionally dabble in my townies lives. I like for my sims to be friends not just with my townies but with some of the EA townies too so sometimes I'll go and check on EA townies but the most I'll do with EA townies is have them date one of my own townies.

I do go and check in with sims that aren't part of my household anymore. In my case I check on my sim(s) parents and siblings. I work backwards from time to time when I create sims and think, 'I would love to have their mom, dad, brothers, and sisters in tow too. Let me create them!' It can be a headache but it's so cool having them in the town together. Mods also help with that too, thankfully.

I do play supernaturals occasionally. Sometimes they'll be my main household. I think I have one save right now with a vampire, a werewolf, and a witch. Sometimes I'll be playing one of my households and then decide to make a new save where they're all vampires, or they're all werewolves, or just have them being whatever supernatural being I feel fits them. It's cool, and werewolves are my favorite, but I don't do it often. I like the different occults in my town so I don't alter them or get rid of them. There are usually not enough for me to always notice a supernatural being somewhere but enough where I'm pleasantly surprised when I see them. I like my towns full of a variety of sims.

I also like my sims, my townies, and the premade sims having pets and walking around with them. A big, full, diverse town or city is my favorite.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    What towns do you play -
    2. mostly EA towns but add to, remove or alter some or all of the population
    3. CC towns

2. CAS created sims, either your own or downloaded

My sims style is kind of like British movies. I just keep placing the same actors in different roles. I don't like using EA's sims, and I really don't like making sims either. Fortunately, I have a lot of nice born-in sims that I just use over and over. When I want to make new sims, I randomize and then change the face until I have an interesting look. The look can be beautiful, neutral or ugly, it just has to have that certain something.

2. rotational, playing each household in town in turn

I make the seasons as long as possible. I set the aging to where l day = a year and then I turn the aging off. Once a sim year the aging gets turned on unless I'm inpatient for things to progress.

My worlds tend to have wacky rules. Nearly every world is predominately supernatural.
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    What towns do you play -
    2. mostly EA towns but add to, remove or alter some or all of the population? But I also have a few CC towns that I sometimes play.

(It's usually even between the two.)

I only play with Supernaturals if I'm playing in Moonlight Falls or Midnight Hollow, otherwise, I don't really touch them and I always make sure to uncheck the box in Options that adds them to the world so that my game doesn't lag so much.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    More creative and interesting ways to play. Thanks for your responses @Nikkei_Simmer , @Karritz , @ApparentlyAwesome , @AthenaOnyx and @LunBeauty . I like that each of us have found the play styles that fit us, each unique but with many similarities. :)
    SmilinSims wrote: »
    Reading all this makes me jealous! I still have all of my old Sims games - but they're for windows. Now I am a Mac user... Oh how sad I am (although, I do love my Mac!)

I started playing Sims 3 on an Imac back in early 2010. In fact it was because there were only 2 games in the store for my new Imac that I ended up getting and playing Sims 3. It's been some time since I stitched over to windows but I loved my Imac. When did the Sims 3 updates stop being available for Macs? I know when I switched over the other way I brought over my sims, lots. etc. I did start new games though.
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    @cwaddell glad you liked my response! Half the challenge to the sims is figuring out how you like to play it, and then you're all set.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    What towns do you play?"
    I have played EA towns, but mostly I prefer CC towns as I like smaller worlds, I guess I just like being able to see what is going on in all the towns and large town confuse me. But I do play them sometimes, I like Sunlite Tides, Lunar Lake and Sunset Valley, but would rather play in CC empty worlds.

"What kind of households do you play?"
    I have played EA sims in the past with Sims 1 and 2, but in Sims 3 I made the Dexters and started the A-Z challenge and made it to Zackery, I went to sims 4 as it just was released after Zackery. so I then made the Dexters there. I am now back in sims 3 and continued with my Dexter Family continuing with Dewey Dexter named after his ancestors. I have a tablet with the whole A-Z family with the Dexters.

"What is your play style?"
    I somehow cannot let go of the Dexters, I love that family, so that is who I am playing with, I do not play rotation, as everyone lives in the house. I only have one child with each generation and when they marry they stay in the same house. I do move them around from worlds to worlds, Or different houses. I always put the same sims from EA worlds in my town, they seem to have become old friends, I have special ones I use. I do change up the generations as sometimes they are poor and sometimes they are rich. My sims do not work or go to school. I like playing that way. I have played a single player in the past, as a Artist challenge or Writer challenge only living what they earn by painting or writing.
    Right now My Dexters are new and I am playing in RFLongs Lonely Island IP. I love this world and it has dive lots. they are on a house boat and I am playing, naturally my A-Z challenge along with a challenge to rebuild the Island, I have named it Newfound Island. My sims are stranded in a houseboat on the island. I already made all the lots, residential and commercial, I then deleted them all and now my sims will rebuild them. I have made a rule that they must pay $5000 to add a commercial lot and $3000 to add a residential lot with sims. I might change the price depending on how fast they can earn money. I want to keep it a little challenging.

"Do you play with supernaturals?"
    I do not have supernatural as I do not play with supernaturals, I do like Aliens and Robots, but have not played them for awhile, although my Dexters will be traveling someday to Into the future to meet there future relatives.

I love that everyone plays different, that is the fun of Sims 3. I guess it is my hobby and time passes so quickly. I have always loved the sims and never tire of them. One of my grandchildren gave the sim when it first came out as a Birthday present and I have never stopped playing. I guess I am addictive. I now have a 16 yr old great granddaughter of the granddaughter who gave me the sims. how amazing. Yet no one in my family plays the sims and non of my friends. I talk about them and they just tolerate me.:D
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I play with EA worlds, never used any other worlds, some do look amazing though.
    I don't touch the population.

The only time I play with EA's households is when I get a new world and want to get a feel of playing in the world before I create my own house holds. I never play with pre mades behomd that. They occasionally marry my sims but not often.

Play style wise it depends on my mood- I mostly play one house hold but I do like playing rotational. I'm kind of used to not playing rotational in the sims 3 now so it doesn't bother me anymore. I can play rotational but I prefer playing one house hold.

Supernaturals? This will sound strange. Despite owning the super natural pack I've barely played with them. I've never created one in CAS and I turn them off. I do want to play with them, it's on my to do list but I'm having a lot of fun with my current games.