Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Superstar/Showtime?

Is it just me or have all the EPs/GPs that we've had so far been gradually progressing towards making Sims into celebrities?

I'm thinking specifically of the new career paths in CL, and also the clubs in GT which would lend well to a 'fan club' scenario. Given that most of the EPs/GPs so far have focused more on introducing these extra career paths/progression paths (Vampires) do we think it's likely that they will bring out a Superstar/Showtime EP soon that would tie it all together really nicely? Or is that too much to speculate...
Origin ID: ExxCee

Comments

• Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Mmm... maybe, but EPs are taking forever. Pets are probably going to be the next EP and then I'm thinking seasons. If we are lucky and get two EPs this year, maybe I would expect a SuperStar EP.

Maybe this time it could be some sort of GP and hopefully if they make a superstars it will be more like the sims 1. In my opinion that was the best superstar EP
    21mbz47.jpg
  • ExxCeeExxCee Posts: 353 Member
    I totally agree - Superstar was great. From what I've seen, Pets does seem the most likely next one, but I was thinking a Superstar-style EP might be likely given that most of the groundwork is already there. Perhaps it could be integrated so the careers such as social media/PR/politics/entertainer could have another dimension where you gain celeb points as you work your way through promotions? I imagine it being about as much work as Get to Work was, which is why I think it would be an EP rather than a GP but I don't know... I haven't been right on a single prediction so far!
  • vessmevessme Posts: 492 Member
    ExxCee wrote: »
    Is it just me or have all the EPs/GPs that we've had so far been gradually progressing towards making Sims into celebrities?

I'm thinking specifically of the new career paths in CL, and also the clubs in GT which would lend well to a 'fan club' scenario. Given that most of the EPs/GPs so far have focused more on introducing these extra career paths/progression paths (Vampires) do we think it's likely that they will bring out a Superstar/Showtime EP soon that would tie it all together really nicely? Or is that too much to speculate...

I've been wondering the same thing. I hope it does. I think there is good framework in place for Superstars or Showtime. I would lean more in preference of Superstar than showtime. Superstar was one of my favorites from the Sims 1 series.
    tumblr_nc81zxn8g31qa6q9uo1_500.gif
    ExxCee wrote: »
    I totally agree - Superstar was great. From what I've seen, Pets does seem the most likely next one, but I was thinking a Superstar-style EP might be likely given that most of the groundwork is already there. Perhaps it could be integrated so the careers such as social media/PR/politics/entertainer could have another dimension where you gain celeb points as you work your way through promotions? I imagine it being about as much work as Get to Work was, which is why I think it would be an EP rather than a GP but I don't know... I haven't been right on a single prediction so far!

That's a great idea. It would be cool if sims could also get famous cause of other careers like politics and maybe they can use a points system to get benefits and negative things for being famous. Kind of like the vampire system but with being famous.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • ExxCeeExxCee Posts: 353 Member
    Ah see? Now if that is the way TS4 is heading, i.e. more emphasis on the progression gameplay, then this could really work - and I think with the way that Superstar was set up, there is a lot of room to make it work very effectively. A combination of the Vampire ranking system and the Get to Work/Get Together gameplay would be amazing - gain celeb points (or rankings, like in restaurants) for kissing babies and being seen at hot spots; lose celeb points for scandals such as trash plants in your front yard and being a noisy neighbour...

I'm not sure if we'll see it this year, but I'd be surprised if it isn't on the horizon. I just hope they give it the same thought and attention as the Vampires GP.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    It could be a GP. Next expansion is still unsure, but probably Pets.
  • PuffpglitternosePuffpglitternose Posts: 39 Member
    These are all amazing ideas. I hope the gurus look at these threads once we have the "core" things people want (i.e. pets, seasons, generations, and university). It'd be nice to see a very unique idea come from someone in the community on these threads become a great pack in the future.
  • Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    @Orchid13 I know! Superstar was so much fun! It truly was a testament to how sometimes less is more.
    Jprp83 wrote: »
    @Orchid13 I know! Superstar was so much fun! It truly was a testament to how sometimes less is more.

Yeaah!!! I miss sims singing jingles!
    21mbz47.jpg
  • TrixieLocaTrixieLoca Posts: 116 Member
    Superstar was by far better than showtime, it holds a place in my heart when I think back to me gaming in the early 00s but I have to admit I did enjoy show times cas items so kitsch!
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Superstar was my favourite expansion for TS1.
    I really hope it makes a comeback! Showtime didn't quite cut it for me.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    My Sims are waiting to become celebrities <3:D
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I don't think we'll get a specific Superstars/Showtime pack - we keep getting the things that were in it, like singing and partying themes, bit by bit. At most we might get some kind of jobs expansion.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • TJKazuha09TJKazuha09 Posts: 74 Member
    If we are about to have superstars, i want the previous song in sims 3 can be sung again... with their unique voice.

i totally sang OOGIE OOGIE OO all the times
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Mmm... maybe, but EPs are taking forever. Pets are probably going to be the next EP and then I'm thinking seasons. If we are lucky and get two EPs this year, maybe I would expect a SuperStar EP.

Maybe this time it could be some sort of GP and hopefully if they make a superstars it will be more like the sims 1. In my opinion that was the best superstar EP

EPs are taking the same amount of time they've always taken.

If Pets (or whatever's next) doesn't get released until November, then I'll agree with you, but until then, City Living's the sole exception and all other EPs have had a 6 month gap between releases.
    wJbomAo.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

If Pets (or whatever's next) doesn't get released until November, then I'll agree with you, but until then, City Living's the sole exception and all other EPs have had a 6 month gap between releases.

It was 8 months between GTW and GT, and 11 months between GT and CL. No EP gap has been at 6 months yet.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member

It was 8 months between GTW and GT, and 11 months between GT and CL. No EP gap has been at 6 months yet.

It's still 2 EPs a year, just like it's always been. There's no need to be pedantic.
    And I said that CL was the exception.
    wJbomAo.png
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I gotta be honest and say I'm not wild about the concept.

For players that like a game grounded in reality, supernaturals and the like are bad. Celebrities are a gray area too since such expansions often mean EVERYONE'S a celebrity and it's no big deal; they've never really nailed it with having sims treat celebrities like a big deal, or with making it difficult to achieve.

For players that will gladly sacrifice reality for gameplay, like myself, supernaturals are welcome. We haven't really seen any amazing celebrity gameplay though, to be honest. To me, being a celebrity has always just meant you get attention, free stuff and loads of money for doing practically nothing, which I personally find rather dull.

Doesn't mean they couldn't get it right eventually, but I wouldn't be surprised if this idea finds itself at the bottom of the priority list for those reasons.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    edited March 2017

No.

It's still 2 EPs a year, just like it's always been. There's no need to be pedantic.

Ummm... just like @luthienrising the gap between each EP has been longer. Maybe you are confusing TS4 with TS3 or maybe you are thinking GPs count as EPs, but we haven't had 2 EPs per year. This year is gonna be 3 years since TS4 came out so if what you said were true we would at least have 5 EPs by now
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member

That's not technically true. TS3 did release two EPs a year but that was because there were two EP teams at the time. (Which did cause a lot of issues apparently coding wise)

@DeservedCriticism I'll agree that in TS3 the celebrity system wasn't exactly all that great. I really wish they would've made it more difficult to become a celebrity. I have sims becoming celebrities from doing absolutely nothing. (Kind of like another "famous" family that somehow is famous of doing nothing but we won't go there).

Superstar was definitely the OG EP for sims wanting to become famous. It was challenging to climb the ladder and to get to five full stars. And when you did manage to get there, you had to work to stay there. Kind of like RL where you don't go to work your performance does falter.

OP: I do hope we get a fame or superstar EP/GP for the game. I just hope that they make it so not every sim can become a celebrity like in TS3 and that sims will need to work hard at becoming famous.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    I hope we get SUPERSTAR/SHOWTIME next year with bands that have lead singers. I really want this for TS4.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I gotta be honest and say I'm not wild about the concept.

For players that like a game grounded in reality, supernaturals and the like are bad. Celebrities are a gray area too since such expansions often mean EVERYONE'S a celebrity and it's no big deal; they've never really nailed it with having sims treat celebrities like a big deal, or with making it difficult to achieve.

For players that will gladly sacrifice reality for gameplay, like myself, supernaturals are welcome. We haven't really seen any amazing celebrity gameplay though, to be honest. To me, being a celebrity has always just meant you get attention, free stuff and loads of money for doing practically nothing, which I personally find rather dull.

Doesn't mean they couldn't get it right eventually, but I wouldn't be surprised if this idea finds itself at the bottom of the priority list for those reasons.

Did you play Superstar? That is one of the hardest EPs ever, it was no small feat to get to celeberty status and once you did, other Sims treated you as so, so much so, you no longer could just 'talk' to another Sim, your conversations then consisted of 'do you want my autograph' and other fan related (maybe three) sentences. The celeb could no longer *(your controlled Sim) have a conversation at all because they are a celeb.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I would love a superstar remake! I was not a fan of showtime. It never really felt like you were famous and the street performing was a chore. I loved how the sims 1 did it where it was basically an active career and you would be able to do new things ( like make adverts, use the recording studio and make music videos) the more you gained stars. It was fun as you could always go back and stick to just one thing you liked to de best after you got 5 stars. Also the tram stopping outside your house and sims getting off to take pictures was cool, so was the obsessed fan and the fact there was only 1 NPC paparazzi you had to impress to get him to take your pics unlike the sims 3 where several paparazzi would hang around outside your house all creepy.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Well we do have the Careers, entertainer, Net celebrity and politician So it seems to be going in that general direction. I just hope they make it a little harder to become a celeb in this series rather than the super easy way in TS3. :wink:
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited September 2017
    We have entertainment careers, but none of them turns you into a famous celebrity the way Late Night and Showtime did in Sims 3. Even being a politician doesn't affect you much outside of your job. When you use your entertainment skills, you get tips, but that's not the same as getting up on stage.

A kind of combo of those two would be great. And time wouldn't be wasted programming Vampires or Showtime's feeble attempt at going on tours. Add in another city world that's focused on tourism and clubbing and it'd be a great start.

It feels important, although not as important as perfecting Seasons.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.