Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 1 wont run anymore

alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
So I used to be able to play the sims 1 on my pc just fine. But I had to take it in the shop and lost everything. So today I decided to reinstall the sims 1 and it looked like it was ok. But after it installed it didnt run. I tried everything. I reinstalled it and still nothing. So then I tried to install it on another pc. But this time it didnt even launch the installation process. So it might be the disk. But how does a disk go from working fine to not running at all? It worked before. I dont understand this. Im really upset. I want to play the sims 1.
my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3

Comments

• hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    are you running it on windows 7? i made a post fixing an issue you *might* have.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/856809/windows-7-players-who-cant-get-sims-1-to-play-again-solution#latest
    i hope it helps! happy simming!
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • roman2886roman2886 Posts: 702 Member
    I tried too make sims 1 run on my laptop it used too work before but it never worked again.
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    If you got Windows Vista through 8.1, Microsoft has released KB3086255 that prevents the game from running.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • roman2886roman2886 Posts: 702 Member
    @WinMacSims3 i have windows 7 through xp.
    @roman2886 If you have Windows XP you can play without problems. The Windows versions where The Sims won't run are Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1. The reason The Sims likely doesn't run anymore is due to an update known as KB3086255, this update is said to prevent games that use SafeDisc and that includes The Sims.

This might depend on your computer, some could run it but some people can't. If you can't play it, it's likely that KB3086255 is installed.
  • annarboltonannarbolton Posts: 18 New Member
    please help! I went to install the sims complete collection and everytime I go to play it it says access denied please login with administrative privileges....ive never had this issue please help
    edited April 2016
    please help! I went to install the sims complete collection and everytime I go to play it it says access denied please login with administrative privileges....ive never had this issue please help

If you have Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.1 and you're getting the Access Denied error message, it's most likely you have update KB3086255 installed. In order to play The Sims, you will have to either remove the update, find a fixed Sims.exe file or do a workaround.

Workaround to the issue (This will not work on Windows 10): Open Command Prompt as an Administrator and then type the possible commands:
    To disable the driver's service, type:
    sc config secdrv start= disabled

To set the driver's service to manual, type:
    sc config secdrv start= demand

To enable the driver's service (and to set it to automatic), type:
    sc config secdrv start=auto

To manually start the driver's service, type:
    sc start secdrv

To manually stop the driver's service, type:
    sc stop secdrv

In my case, I typed in sc config secdrv start= demand and then sc start secdrv and I was able to play The Sims.

This might depend if your computer is fully updated or not, sometimes the game might start but sometimes it won't start. In my case, my Dell XPS 410 with Windows Vista Home Premium wouldn't start The Sims until I typed some commands in Command Prompt. This workaround will only work on Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.1.
    i tried several of those commands and when I hit enter in the command prompt it says access denied...and the games still not running...I have windows 8.1
    i tried several of those commands and when I hit enter in the command prompt it says access denied...and the games still not running...I have windows 8.1

You have to run Command Prompt as an administrator. You can tell that you are running it as an administrator is that the window title will say Administrator: Command Prompt rather than Command Prompt.

To run Command Prompt as an Administrator, there are two ways:
    • Press the Windows key or the Start button, type cmd in the search box, right click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator. Click Yes at the UAC dialog.
    • Right click the Start button or press Windows Key + X, and then click Command Prompt (Admin). Click Yes at the UAC dialog.

omg it worked I fixed it thankyou so much! im so happy lol
    actually oh wait its not working a thing popped up that said "game cannot be started because the graphics card doesn't support thousands of colors exit now.... :(
  • MeadowThayerrMeadowThayerr Posts: 239 Member
    Does anyone know if there's a fix for Windows 10? I have the complete collection, and I've kind of been wanting to play it lately.
    Hello there, I'm Haleigh!
    It's MeadowThayerr with 2 Rs because someone beat me to the normal way.
    My Sims Website | The Kennedy Legacy ✓ | The Deepwater ISBI | The Disney Name Game
  • Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    edited April 2016
    Does anyone know if there's a fix for Windows 10? I have the complete collection, and I've kind of been wanting to play it lately.

You have to download a modified version of the Sims.exe that forces the game to run without the disc. It's not perfect but it fixes the problem. Windows 10 has a lot of compatibility issues with older games, especially ones that require security checks for discs.

I think you'll find this thread helpful:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/848531/help-getting-the-sims-complete-collection-to-run-on-windows-10/p1
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
    edited April 2016
    @Nikoa if you have Windows Vista through Windows 8.1, it's also useful. Even if you don't have Windows 10 like I and @MeadowThayerr do, a Microsoft update prevents The Sims (as well as other CD-ROM games such as SimCity 4) from working. It's possible to avoid this if you have SimCity 4 downloaded from Origin, GOG.com, or Steam but in The Sims' case at this point, bypassing the CD-ROM requirement is the only way to play The Sims on Windows 10 as well Vista-8.1 with KB3086255. This isn't the first time Microsoft broke a game.
  • LadyIvy09LadyIvy09 Posts: 4 New Member
    The Sims 3 Trouble shoot aug 5th 17 Case with ea support 32495508
    At this point over 7 hours of troubleshooting
    With 6 calls 4 agents and 2 supervisors (got the same 2 agents twice)
    Rude treatment by 3 agents and one of the sups even to go as far as to accuse me at the start of the call when I said the agent did not even ask me my name the sup said I did not allow him. The same sup refused to help me and even said on the call he was to busy too help me. he told me he could give me the corporate info after I asked for it then after I told him good cause I was going to report him and the last agent he told me he could not find the info so not only did that sup lie to me but he also set the wrong exceptions and was unwilling to help a long standing customer.
    I have been suffering with this same issues for over a year now I call we try all the steps we can find online even got to their 2 for help and support. I’ve been promised many times for them to reach back out to me with answers and resolutions and no one ever does and this goes on each time for about a week of me calling many times a day every day for a week till I get tired of all the fighting and give up for a few.
    I’ve have uninstalled reinstalled factory reset the Mac and more all other games from the origin client work just fine including sims 4 with all the expansion packs I own for that game. We have tried every possible ts step I know of including this new step thats been out for longer then I have been fighting with this issue and no one has ever even brought up these steps and now I’m stuck in the process. Below is all the steps I’ve tired and where and why I have stopped and called back in.

Basic info yes all expansion packs have worked on the Mac before on the current os
    Os is up to date (screen shot can be provided of os info)
    Im not a noob at ts for sims 3/4 or most tech issues I work at apple so I have a very good understanding so please do not speak down to me or make me report myself.

I have screen shots of all errors I have gotten today
    No cc or mods installed into sims 3 during the troubleshoot

Error with just the sims 3 base game installed no expansions installed is when opening the sims 3 game from origin launcher I get a error saying the game is still downloading even though the game has been full downloaded and installed with entering the product code. When I first got this issue it was with the expansion pack ambitions not the base game.

Steps tried for troubleshoot
    Reset origin using tool sims 3 error changed from game still downloading to unexpected error
    Link provided by the agent
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Unknown-Error-issue-in-Sims-3-in-El-Capitan-Sierra/m-p/5794065#M6381
    Pulled up the link read over the article and then tried these steps first before messing with the files on the Mac
    Used this site to provide me the install order of the sims 3 expansion packs
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/the-sims-3-installation-order/

uninstalled sims 3 base game using sims 3 uninstaller then reset origin again
    Reinstalled sims 3 after reset set
    After reinstall the game launched and was abled to update the game through the sims 3 launcher
    Was able to open and play sims 3
    Installed world adventures was prompted for another update updated and launched the game
    Game opened and was abled to be played
    steps provided by last agent
    To install high end Loft stuff pack and got the downloading error again from origin
    But then the patching files shown up for the launcher so I hit to patch sims 3 to see what happens after the patch was complete the sims 3 launcher shown up and hit play to enter in the game was able to enter the game and get to the menu screen went back into origin after closing sims 3 to relaunch sims 3 to see if I get the other error and I did hit play now to see if the game would launch again even after the error I was able to get the sims 3 launcher up and open.
    Install ambitions to see if the game gets worse or fixes the error during install of ambitions got a validation error saying the sims 3 version installed is more recent the expected and ambitions can be incompatible completed the install of the expansion pack and got the download in progress error again hit play now at that point fi got the sims 3 unknown error occurred and hit ok the sims 3 fully closed on me at this point went to the link provided by the agent
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Unknown-Error-issue-in-Sims-3-in-El-Capitan-Sierra/m-p/5794065#M6381
    Then proceeded to follow the ts steps provided Go to Applications > Sims 3> right click on Sims 3 and hit show package contents. started to follow all the steps provided until I saw that the person who wrote this walk through has more of the packs installed and could not follow all steps to a t due to me doing a step by step install process to narrow down which expansion packs are having the issues. At this point I’m contacting ea games to see how to proceed from this point.

When requesting a call back on the site got the confirmation on the site but not the email and never got a call back after 15 mins of waiting and the site saying a wait of 0 mins. Went back and requested a call back started speaking to a woman she kept telling me what she could not do and not options of what could be down I found work arounds to send all the info I typed out to make it easier to help me and she could not be bothered to read what I sent. I then asked for a sup and the line went quite I then waited on the phone with dead air for over 10 mins and then the call completely hung up on me. This is the second time Pamela Camille B. Has hung up on me when asking for a sup. went back to the site requested another call back got a guy i told him i would like to speak to a sup due to all the issues i have had and agents hanging up on me when asking for a sup. (Im on a land line with a full clean connection so it is not a call drop).
    the agent
  • LadyIvy09LadyIvy09 Posts: 4 New Member
    then refused to let me speak to a sup telling me ive already spoken to a sup and that he could not longer help me and hung up on me so after hours of no help or answers im reaching out here for answers on my issues and also for it to be known the extermly bad service i have been given by the staff of ea games.
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    @LadyIvy09
    you're posting in the wrong section of the forums
    this thread is about The Sims 1, not about TS3

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Mmilner1Mmilner1 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey guys so I uninstalled that weird windows update KB30 blah blah blah. Played fine all day yesterday. Woke up to play again, and it won't come up when I click the game. What should I do? And no, the weird update did not come back onto the computer, I checked.
    PLEASE HELP
  • SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    Have you fired it up as admin?
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory