Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feeding kids (in high chairs) is a nightmare!!

ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
I have the parenthood pack and its way too complicated to take care of toddlers in certain situations.

First it was a nightmare to get two adults to pick up two toddlers and place them in high chairs. Either the parents were too slow and gave up trying because the toddler always wanted something to eat thats nearby or I managed to get one toddler into a high chair and then another adult came and put the toddler down on the floor. Then I managed to get both toddlers into the high chair but giving them the available food I prepared is difficult aswell. It worked for one of the two toddlers tho. But then another adult came and picked up the EATING toddler and placed her on the ground aswell... just to pick her up again... to put down again... to put up again...to put down again... So both toddlers sat down on the floor ON THEIR OWN and ate.

This happened right after both toddlers woke up with a full energy bar. After all this both were already down to 50%. Sometimes getting them into a bath is equally difficult. Putting them to bed on the other hand is easy.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    Yeah, that's why I try not to use the highchair a lot. When I do, I make sure to quickly cancel all the adults actions and send them off to play on the computer or something so they'll be preoccupied and won't have any time to take the poor starving kid away from the food :(
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    High chairs and those bear seats are equally inefficient. A smaller chair and children table would be much better. Toddlers could have prepared food ready. No need for adults to constantly intervene. Or just stop interfering of a toddler just got placed in high chairs... Its frustrating that these things wont get fixed.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Yeah you make a great point OP. The high chairs just don't work. The pick up and put down, is just exhausting. I'm playing the 100 baby challenge and feeding the toddlers has just been so time consuming. Once I learned that toddlers could grab their own plate of food, I was so happy. I just don't even have a high char now. I just leave food out for them to grab. So much easier for my Sims and for me...
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I quit using the high chair when I put the toddler there to eat and instead of eating they cry wanting out or knock off the food so I just let them get their own food and eat while they watch TV.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    Yep, it's much easier just to let the toddler fetch its own food and eat. They are far more competent at feeding themselves than their parents are at feeding them.
  • maicemaice Posts: 167 Member
    I put a Bakers Display Case in my toddlers' bedrooms. Now all the adults congregate in there, too :)
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited September 2017
    It can get a bit frustrating when one sim puts toddler in chair and then toddler asks another sim to let them out before you've gotten the chance to even set the food down. I usually try to distract the adults that didn't put toddler in chair just so they won't take them out. I hope they fix this soon.
    Post edited by aprilrose on
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    You need to put the Toddler in the chair and then give them their food, without taking them out of their chair again. It's a nightmare getting it all in the right order.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • KarliaKarlia Posts: 310 Member
    Whenever I put a toddler in the high chair some other sim instantly runs to pick him up! In fact, the other sim does this even when the toddler has food in front of him or is eating and the high chair has such a high autonomy priority that all the sims on the lot will attempt to take the toddler out of the high chair and so cancelling the action is a chore. The high chair really needs a tweak so that sims only pick up toddlers when they're crying.
  • JackieGoOutsideJackieGoOutside Posts: 33 Member
    I wish you could just give them their food or drinks without being in the high chair. It would make things so much easier.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I was at breaking point with triplets. Those poor kids got hungrier and hungrier and I got social worker warnings. It was because one parent would put the toddler in the chair and the other would take them out over and over again. It wasn't only hunger, but because their other needs were dropping like crazy too because the parents would do this musical high chair thing and they wouldn't get fed. Then to top it off, they were never in good enough moods to learn skills. High chairs are banished in my households now because it's too aggravating. Bad enough with one but triplets really tested my patience.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Yes. This.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I'm currently playing my game juggling two toddlers and I think it would be nice to have like a toddler table that adult sims could place their food down on or we could drag food to table and toddlers can just sit at the table. It might be less of a headache that way.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    I wish you could just give them their food or drinks without being in the high chair. It would make things so much easier.

You can - sort of. Although the parent cannot give the food directly to the toddler, if they put it on a counter or table, you can just direct the toddler to take it and eat it. I usually put an armchair somewhere nearby, for the toddler to sit on while eating. It beats using a highchair any day.

• fidelis_x0fidelis_x0 Posts: 74 Member
    I'm so happy it's not just me. High chairs alone make toddlers extremely frustrating
  • ExxCeeExxCee Posts: 353 Member
    Zasz wrote: »
    I have the parenthood pack and its way too complicated to take care of toddlers in certain situations.

First it was a nightmare to get two adults to pick up two toddlers and place them in high chairs. Either the parents were too slow and gave up trying because the toddler always wanted something to eat thats nearby or I managed to get one toddler into a high chair and then another adult came and put the toddler down on the floor. Then I managed to get both toddlers into the high chair but giving them the available food I prepared is difficult aswell. It worked for one of the two toddlers tho. But then another adult came and picked up the EATING toddler and placed her on the ground aswell... just to pick her up again... to put down again... to put up again...to put down again... So both toddlers sat down on the floor ON THEIR OWN and ate.

This happened right after both toddlers woke up with a full energy bar. After all this both were already down to 50%. Sometimes getting them into a bath is equally difficult. Putting them to bed on the other hand is easy.

Yeah my toddlers get a bit dizzy with all the upping and downing, too. I've taken to playing with single parent/single child families for ease because otherwise it's just a logistical nightmare and NOBODY gets to eat the freakin' animal crackers!
    Origin ID: ExxCee
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    When I first played with them I had an adult, teen, child and toddler in the household. I was trying to have them all sit round the table and eat at the same time which meant I would put the toddler in the highchair and then before the adult had given them the food, the teen would be taking them out, it was a nightmare. But this past week I've been playing with 2 adults and 2 toddlers without any problems. I realised that if I click on the highchair and click 'give food' then they put the food down first before putting the toddler in so the toddler doesn't then ask an adult to pick them up. Sometimes I will make the other adult go off and do something else because I don't trust him but so far he hasn't taken them back out.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I almost never have this issue actually. But one thing you can do is turn on full autonomy except for the selected sim. That way toddlers won't cue up any other actions in the meantime. Also, cancel whatever your toddler is doing while your sim puts food on their highchair (because your sim won't go pick them up if they're doing something else, it's pretty clear their workaround to multitasking problems from toddlers was to remove multitasking almost entirely for them) and make sure you don't leave food out on the table or something. If you can't or don't want to avoid it I'd try using that setting I mentioned above as it really helps to stop that issue from occuring.
  • HaimonaHaimona Posts: 136 Member
    It can be frustrating. I leave food out for them so they can grab what they want :)
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I agree. :D
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    Haimona wrote: »
    It can be frustrating. I leave food out for them so they can grab what they want :)
    I tried that and I got some interesting results.

I started in the kids room by using a low hight table, two bearseats and pancakes. It worked for some time. Then the kids started to get addicted to running downstairs into the kitchen where a lonely bowl of plasma fruit on the counter was sitting. I removed the food from the kids room and tried to feed them as described in the topic. So back to the previous method.

Its interesting how the game responds to new locations when I send the kids there. I have a balcony in the 1st floor right next to the kids room. I placed the food there and half the time they still want to grab the plasme fruit from downstairs.

Its the same with toys. I had them in the kids room at first, then placed some on the yard. They ignored the other toys on the other side of the yard and I cant find out why. Its like figuring out how the game works and then it turns around and reinvents itself.
  • JackieGoOutsideJackieGoOutside Posts: 33 Member
    > @FKM100 said:
    > You can - sort of. Although the parent cannot give the food directly to the toddler, if they put it on a counter or table, you can just direct the toddler to take it and eat it. I usually put an armchair somewhere nearby, for the toddler to sit on while eating. It beats using a highchair any day.

Yeah, I know. I just would rather prefer being able to give directly rather than having to direct my toddlers to get it. They also want drinks a lot and you can't get them at all without the highchair. It's just a really weird design choice.
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I'm glad toddlers can pull out a plate and eat in any chair. The highchair is a huge pain, I'm just going to burn all mine lol
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• RavennaRavenna Posts: 58 Member
    I can sometimes get high chairs to work, but I have experienced the nightmare of my two parent sims picking up, putting down, picking up, putting down, picking up, putting down, and then the notification "You need to feed your dang kids!" Like I'm trying!

lol

Since my sims have 5 kids, I usually have my main sim making breakfast at 4am (she's a vampire and doesn't need to sleep) and then I just set food out for everyone, even the toddlers (2 of them). Toddlers run up the stairs, grab food off the counter and jump on the couch. Good enough for me.
    Check out my stuff on the Sims 4 gallery under the ID 'RavennaSanguine'
  • angelw744angelw744 Posts: 19 Member
    It really irritates me when a sim puts food down to a toddler in a high chair and then immediately takes them out or another sim does it, I try to cancel the action but the sim still carries it out even though its cancelled (they also do a load of other things that are cancelled, including running to the other side of a lot or sitting down and eating food even though I cancelled the action before they make it to the fridge !) it's a really big thing that shatters the immersion for me and it makes it difficult for me to enjoy this game.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top