Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was it always this hard?

So today I installed the sims 1 on my laptop and it installed fine but because I have windows 10 it wouldn't load. No biggie, I found a youtube video that helped me and it worked! I had my three daughters help me create our sims family. They're all 10 and younger. Anyhow we buy a house and I remember the cheat rosebud; from my sims 1 days when I was a little older than my oldest daughter. In the first five minutes, our house is in flames because of the genie. It burns everything in the whole room because we forgot a fire detector. Silly me. I hardly use them in the sims 4. Anyhow one of our sims dies. We exit the game without saving and try again, but it just feels like we're trying to keep them happy 24/7. It's so hard for our sims to do anything besides eating, sleeping, and going to the bathroom because their needs drop so fast. Was it always this hard? I don't remember because it's been years since I've played. I like the random phone calls though and the house fires. I like that you never know what's going to happen, and all the sims are really interesting.
Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24

Comments

• auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Also, the social drops so fast and talking to sims doesn't really raise it fast enough. Plus it's hard to gain any relationship with the other sims.
  • SuicidalSpidersSuicidalSpiders Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited September 2017
    Yes, it was always that hard. lol That's why it was so fun; you felt more invested in your sims because it took so much effort to take care of them.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yep, it was hard, and back then I didn't even know the cheats! because I had internet (dial up) sometimes and months or a year without etc. I was lucky to even get to go to The Sims site as much as I did.

You have to stack points. Like for eating, a better fridge, a better counter, a better stove, more skill points all add up to getting full and lasting longer.

Better furniture offers better comfort etc. Better stuff for fun offers faster filling of the fun motive. It's all about trying to get better stuff so you have time to live. But just when you think you have the hang of it, and get them scheduled an event will happen that will make you have to go down a different road, lol. You can see from TS4 how watered down the game has really become. I bet you can go to the store and not worry about your Sims in TS4, lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JessPlaysJessPlays Posts: 58 Member
    Yep it is hard. Accidentally killed my sim in the second episode of my LP lol

If your interested :)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLswkUxPnNQ385aMp_qEwoBSOiFjVRni1L
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It is hard, but I like the challenge!

The thing I've found hardest s caring for babies. I've never had so many taken away as I have recently. Definitely the hardest babies in the series.
  • CringecrewCringecrew Posts: 150 Member
    I never played the original Sims but I'm not planning too!
    latest?cb=20060827184625

@JessPlays I'll have to check it out! :) I haven't even tried caring for a baby yet. I'm still trying to get used to taking care of two sims. Things are definitely easier in the last few sims games.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Oh, yes. It is Still hard. XD

Social is the hardest for me in that game... and never talk on the phone, they seem to always loose friends that way. Takes so long to get friends. :cry:
  • boykinater18boykinater18 Posts: 237 Member
    That's what I loved with the sims 1.
    Yes, it was always that hard. lol That's why it was so fun; you felt more invested in your sims because it took so much effort to take care of them.

I definitely felt more invested in the original sims. If you messed up, there were consequences and I liked that.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I bet you can go to the store and not worry about your Sims in TS4, lol

I've definitely left the room and didn't worry about my sims on Sims 4 at all. I don't know about going to the store lmao.

• JessPlaysJessPlays Posts: 58 Member
    > @auroraael14 said:
    > @JessPlays I'll have to check it out! :) I haven't even tried caring for a baby yet. I'm still trying to get used to taking care of two sims. Things are definitely easier in the last few sims games.

Thank you, i hope you enjoy :) Sims 1 sims are soo hard to look after! I dont even know how child me managed to play the game lol
    I've left my sims to go to another room and when I come back they're all okay. I remember when I was younger and playing the sims 1 I accidentally left the game running so I could do something for my mom and when I came back everyone was dead. :( I don't have to worry about that in the sims 3 or 4.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I've left my sims to go to another room and when I come back they're all okay. I remember when I was younger and playing the sims 1 I accidentally left the game running so I could do something for my mom and when I came back everyone was dead. :( I don't have to worry about that in the sims 3 or 4.

And why so many think TS4 is nothing but a TV show that plays itself. No way you can go to the bathroom and leave TS1. And pretty lucky if you try that with TS2. TS4 just go on to bed, it will be fine. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Yeah TS1 was hard. But just get the science table and let it all go. Also, the ghosts are fun cause they'll really, really, really freak your sim out. So no big deal if some of them die, it will just make your other sims more miserable. Trying to get them to survive and not taking your eyes off them for too long is pretty much the biggest TS1 challenge :D
    I honestly like the challenge I just wish that it was a little easier to gain relationships with other sims. Keeping your social up is hard when you play a single sim and then getting that sim to make friends, keep their motives up, work, and still have time to do something fun is exhausting. I finally was able to get one friend and he moved in, and now I have two sims that need friends for their careers. I don't remember how I did this when I was little especially when I didn't even know mods existed then. I use to play for hours non-stop too. I also save a lot because at any moment something could happen.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    I still remember hitting the 100 days mark- getting the bits of Maxis Info. It did help with the mini install game of TS2. :lol:
    I don't remember the answers any more. :(
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Oh, yes. It is Still hard. XD

Social is the hardest for me in that game... and never talk on the phone, they seem to always loose friends that way. Takes so long to get friends. :cry:

I never understood that. You call to chat and they would get offended?! That was definitely at the top of my annoyance list.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    Oddly it used to not feel so hard for me then when I was younger but now it's harder probably where I'm used to TS4 now.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The game is hard...but so worth it!
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    I don't remember The Sims 1 being hard, except...
    1. Marriage proposals. Can't say yes on an empty stomach! :smile:
    2. Talking on the phone.
    3. Friend requirements for jobs were crazy-high.
    4. Superstar expansion... Your higher-level jobs have a random element, so you always have a chance of failing, and losing fame.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I had forgotten how hard it was. I only recently installed TS1 on this computer for the first time. I had it on my last one but I've had this one for 2 years now and decided to finally install it for nostalgia reasons I guess. I had some of my old family files on an external drive. I loaded them up and I just could't do it. I had 2 household members die in a fire within seconds of loading and I was like "Well, alrighty then". Their hunger drops so quickly its insane. It's like they spend most of their waking hours eating and then it's time for bed. I used to play TS1 a lot years back but compared to now I can't imagine how I did it. I didn't use mods or cheats back then either but I am thinking about it now if I decide to launch it again.
  • MorticiaBlack7MorticiaBlack7 Posts: 130 Member
    It's not the sims 1 that is hard, it's the sims 3 and especially the sims 4 that is so easy that it gets boring - and - we got so used to it that anything more demanding than that seems 'too hard' for us now. And I'm saying this being a mid-twenty adult who spent hundreds of hours playing the sims 1 as a kid who has had no experience with video games back then, if you get what I'm trying to say.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    The Sims 1 is a much harder and different game because it originally only was meant as a small sidegame to the SimCity where the focus was a little more at the sims who lived in the houses than upon the city and its economy. So TS1 was targeted at the older and more experienced gamers who usually played the SimCity and TS1 had a low budget because EA didn’t really expect it to sell very well.

But to EA’s surprise especially very young teen girls loved TS1 even though they usually never had played the SimCity at all. Therefore TS1 got a lot of EPs which EA hadn’t planned at all because the sales numbers for TS1 and its EPs were huge and way above what EA even in their most optimistic moments would have expected.

For those reasons TS1 became a game which was quite hard because it was targeted at older gamers and with cheap primitive outdated graphics which made it look like something from the beginning of the 1980s and the EPs became quite difficult for EA to make and for us to install (it didn’t even have a chance to work unless we installed them in the right order and even if we did it often didn’t work in our first attempt).

So TS1 had a short lifespan of only 4 years while all later Sims games have had a lifespan of 5 yrs. But already TS2 got a much bigger budget and instead was targeted mainly at about 13 yrs old girls. Therefore all later Sims games have had much better graphics and a lower difficulty degree than TS1 had ;)
  • ari100ari100 Posts: 74 Member
    Yeah the Sims 3 was a little too easy, and the sims 4 is just ridiculous. I have never played a game other than the Sims that present no challenge. I don't think you can really call it a game anymore, it's just a reality Tv show (and not a good one). I used to be so proud of my achievements in sims 1, but also sims 2 as well. The only thing you need to actually try hard with in the Sims 4 is if you want to kill your Sim.