March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My builds - Jude525

Comments

• Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Thank you everyone.

@Mpart I checked out your stuff too and like your style. I especially like the diner and auto repair. Are the cars in the auto repair up on "lifts" of some sort?

@Fireheart2010 these builds may include all SPs, Seasons/Pets/Generations/Late Night and anything from the store. I own all the EPs, but am installing them one at a time as I play them through in detail, which I never did before. So future builds will gradually include items from those packs and possibly reflect those themes.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
    edited November 2017
    Next up is Bachini Brothers' Bakery. link

I wanted a bakery for my Sim Giancarlo to run as a full time business. Especially since the Deliciously Indulgent Bakery is an oversized venue where the Sims who show up to the lot easily get lost in different directions doing different things. So just buying the venue as is and running a business there didn't appeal to me at all. But I absolutely wanted to run a bakery. !!!If you aren't familiar with running a Sim bakery then see play notes in next post!!!

Bacchini Brothers’ Bakery is loosely based on my neighborhood bakery growing up. It is a great small business for your Sim to run, providing their neighborhood with a variety of homemade products and a casual environment to socialize in.

The front of the bakery has several tables for sitting and chatting, with parking off to the side. If I wasn't trying to maximize income for my Sim I would also include the Old Miller Tea Time Tea Set to round it off as a full service venue resembling a French cafe. But the tea set doesn't generate income for the venue owner. I will probably build a different venue that focuses more on the community after I have installed University Life, which will give me access to the java hut set. If you have that set you could easily replace the centerpieces with tea sets.

9P4JtXh.jpg
    ktDu6uI.jpg

yO3F4z4.jpg

There are a couple display cases fronting an open kitchen. I was inspired by other Simmers’ suggestions to expand offerings to include items from the Wood Fire Oven from Monte Vista and the preserves and jams from Grandma's Canning Station.

gOMcBCU.jpg

These display tables serve two purposes:

N9nIbmD.jpg

These are placed over bakery sales rugs and can be stocked with food products from the kitchen.

iiLdqaE.jpg

These are placed over rugs from the Savvy Seller's collection and can be stocked with anything. I've stocked them with non-edible food props so that the bakery never looks empty, along with some baked goods. I haven't tested the theory, but I think that if you don't own the Savvy Seller's set either the rugs will disappear or they will be replaced with normal rugs. Either way the bakery rugs will still work.

Anyway, you may notice that the long dining table is in both pictures. I found that I could stack the two types of rugs and use the table on top either way.

fZlBYg1.jpg

Finally, there is a shelf from the Savvy Seller's collection placed within the bay window with some items placed on it for sale. It does have the odd effect of the Sims who are shopping for those items standing outside, but when I turned the shelf around the supports under the shelf stuck out below the window. Again, I'm not sure what will happen here if you don't own this set. I would appreciate if someone who doesn't have it could let me know after trying it out.

GOUer8V.jpg
    Post edited by Jude525 on
    aka Jude

My Studio

Ok, here are some play notes on how to stock your bakery. Food items placed in display cases or on a table above a bakery rug never go bad while waiting to be sold.

Method 1: Prepare food in the normal way until it is placed on a counter. Pause the game and enter Buy/Build mode, then drag the food into/onto a display item. Some people recommend cooking at home and placing the food in your home fridge. Then move the food into your personal inventory before leaving the house. Once you get to the bakery move the food to the displays. Personally, I find that way too complicated.

Method 2: Watch for motivated customers who cook for you! When they are done, grab the food they have cooked and sell it!

Method 3: Use the in-game cheat. There is no mod needed to do this. But your Sim does need to own the venue.

Enter either Buy or Build mode. Then Ctrl-Shift-click on the Baker's Station (this doesn't work on the Canning Station or Wood Stove.) You will see this dialog:

lHgnYZd.jpg

So then click on DEBUG Serve and you will get this dialog:

A4zNMTx.jpg

Choose a category to click on and you'll get another dialog, something like this:

S8ejNpg.jpg

Finally, select an item and click on it. The item you've selected will appear on the floor somewhere near the baking station.

Qtp5Cml.jpg

I know, just don't tell the health inspector. :D Keep doing this until the floor is cluttered with baked goods.

WkN4wAL.jpg

Then drag them into/onto display cases and tables. Once I have stocked the shelves this way, then I get my Sim to work keeping things going. But this is a great way to get a head start, and especially to get the great look of a nice, fully stocked bakery.

Finally, there are mods out there, if you are the modding type. I'm not adverse to using mods, but I haven't tried any out yet. One I saw simply lets your Sim "bake many" so that you don't have to micro-manage their time and keep hounding them to keep at it while at work. I think I am highly likely to check this out. I am also pretty sure there is one that will let you stock the shelves and let them automatically restock the way shelves do with the Savvy Seller's collection, so that you aren't actually responsible for the creation of your products. I'm not sure if that is the same one that will let you stock a non-player owned venue. I suppose I will update this post once I learn these things. But my priority was to share how I play this lot.

aka Jude

My Studio

• Fireheart2010Fireheart2010 Posts: 148 Member
    Jude525 wrote: »
    Ok, here are some play notes on how to stock your bakery. Food items placed in display cases or on a table above a bakery rug never go bad while waiting to be sold.

Method 1: Prepare food in the normal way until it is placed on a counter. Pause the game and enter Buy/Build mode, then drag the food into/onto a display item. Some people recommend cooking at home and placing the food in your home fridge. Then move the food into your personal inventory before leaving the house. Once you get to the bakery move the food to the displays. Personally, I find that way too complicated.

Method 2: Watch for motivated customers who cook for you! When they are done, grab the food they have cooked and sell it!

Method 3: Use the in-game cheat. There is no mod needed to do this. But your Sim does need to own the venue.

Enter either Buy or Build mode. Then Ctrl-Shift-click on the Baker's Station (this doesn't work on the Canning Station or Wood Stove.) You will see this dialog:

lHgnYZd.jpg

So then click on DEBUG Serve and you will get this dialog:

A4zNMTx.jpg

Choose a category to click on and you'll get another dialog, something like this:

S8ejNpg.jpg

Finally, select an item and click on it. The item you've selected will appear on the floor somewhere near the baking station.

Qtp5Cml.jpg

I know, just don't tell the health inspector. :D Keep doing this until the floor is cluttered with baked goods.

WkN4wAL.jpg

Then drag them into/onto display cases and tables. Once I have stocked the shelves this way, then I get my Sim to work keeping things going. But this is a great way to get a head start, and especially to get the great look of a nice, fully stocked bakery.

Finally, there are mods out there, if you are the modding type. I'm not adverse to using mods, but I haven't tried any out yet. One I saw simply lets your Sim "bake many" so that you don't have to micro-manage their time and keep hounding them to keep at it while at work. I think I am highly likely to check this out. I am also pretty sure there is one that will let you stock the shelves and let them automatically restock the way shelves do with the Savvy Seller's collection, so that you aren't actually responsible for the creation of your products. I'm not sure if that is the same one that will let you stock a non-player owned venue. I suppose I will update this post once I learn these things. But my priority was to share how I play this lot.

I love your cafe! what SP do you use to get the bakery?
    peace_love_adopt_rectangular_sticker-r4646840974ac43558d16db15cbd53fcb_v9wxo_8byvr_307.jpg?rvtype=content

edited September 2017
    The bakery items, including many of the build items I've used and the items needed to make it a working bakery, come with the Deliciously Indulgent Bakery venue from the Sims 3 store. While I'm at it, the Savvy Seller's Collection comes with the Midnight Hollow Gold world. When you asked which EPs/SPs I owned, I forgot to mention that I also own all of the retail and store worlds. I actually own all of the EA produced content for the game.

I do plan to make a cafe at some point utilizing the java hut from University as the main component. I got all excited while browsing The Sims Resource one day because I saw some astounding props. Then I realized that I had slid over to the Sims 2 section and they were for Get to Work. :( If you're curious, you can take a look here.

Sidenote: While double checking for possible Sims 3 bakery content just now I stumbled upon a beautifully rendered replica of the bakery from Kiki's Delivery Service!!!! link Now I'm thinking I need to do a version with a working bakery!!! And maybe the house from My Neighbor Totoro? *sigh* Let me get out that idea list and start adding to it.

EDIT: I did find some nice bakery props here from jomsims at The Sims Resource. If anyone was interested, I would be willing to edit Bachini's using these items in place of the store venue items at some point. Although I would also have to alter the building itself, so I couldn't promise how much the finished lot would resemble the original. I think it would be pretty close though. By replacing the display cases with Uni java units it would make a nice hangout location.
    aka Jude

My Studio

edited September 2017
    I don't remember if I've mentioned this before, but I am willing to take requests. Whether they be for entire lots, or just modifications of lots I've already built to replace content from sets that you don't own. Of course, with functional content, that would be limited. But if someone likes the look of a lot and would be willing to forego the play aspect I'd do what I could. Especially if they are open to custom content from the web.

To limit my system's exposure, I only use content from Mod the Sims and The Sims Resource. There are still glitch risks involved, but at least I trust the sites themselves. So any special requests would have to be limited to content found on these two sites.

So far my published builds use no CC. But soon I will begin including one item called One More Slot Please link that provides a ton of flexibility for placing decorative items that I find invaluable in my personal builds. I may make builds available with and without this CC and the added design features it allows. It depends on how much it effects the aesthetics.

Here is a standard bay window, which you normally can't do anything with:

u72QXrb.jpg

Here I've added three slots using OMSP, which appear as checkerboards in buy mode:

WdNqUcO.jpg

I then place items onto those checkerboards the same as if they were normal shelves. Once in play mode, the checkerboards disappear and I am left with items placed, apparently, on the shelf of the window.

j3DuGrJ.jpg

I go from a pretty but incomplete window to something resembling what I would do with it in the real world.

This can also be used to add more locations on bureaus, shelves, etc., allowing a more cluttered look when desired. Usually you can use the Alt key while placing and overlap them, but there are times when it'll snap to a grid anyway. I found this happening when setting up the window example. Also, I almost forgot to mention, the height is completely adjustable. In fact, it must be adjusted manually each time you use it. I find myself wishing that I could clone one with the height settings already in place for groupings.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• MpartMpart Posts: 115 Member
    They are @Jude525 :) I will definitely be looking out for more of your wonderful builds!
    t2W9HAW.png

Mpart's Builds; Taking Requests (Indefinite Hiatus)
  • funkeeferretfunkeeferret Posts: 415 Member
    I love the bakery! I really like the size of the bakery and what you did with the bay window! So pretty! I wonder how it would work with only the Savvy Seller Collection but not the Delicious Indulgent Bakery (nor the canning station, nor the wood stove). I know I wouldn't have the display cases to keep things fresh, but I wonder what food items could be sold on those rugs, lol. Sorry, I am still clueless, learning as I go along. I'm thinking no food items would be sold without some kind of mod. I think I read that somewhere. Thanks for being so thorough explaining everything. I really appreciate that.
    @funkeeferret, thank you. You could substitute food props for actual baked goods on Savvy Sellers displays to maintain a bakery look on a functioning retail lot. You could also leave any commercial stove that you do have to keep the look of a bakery. It would have to be a commercial bakery since you can't place any other kind on a commercial lot.

Like I've said, I can't test "downgrading" my lot. Do you have University Life?
    aka Jude

My Studio

@Jude525, thanks for the info. I do not have University Life. I can download your lot, place a commercial stove (if I have one) and see what happens. It would probably be a good way for me to get to know my options for now. It should be interesting.
    Oh, I'd be thrilled if you did that and let me know what the game uses as substitutes for everything. Especially since the building itself contains store items from the bakery set. But I think I'm going to go ahead and build a stripped down version today and post it for people to build up on based on what they do have. If I'm not using any special items it shouldn't take long, because I won't have to game test it.
    aka Jude

My Studio

Well, when I tried to download the bakery, a pop up came up that said there was an error when downloading the content of the bakery. Because of that, the option to install it was grayed out. I'm thinking that was because I don't have the main items in your bakery?
    edited September 2017
    I've had that happen with lots I've tried to install as well, but have never been sure exactly what triggers that as opposed to the substitution message. So, off to create a "clean" version. Wish me luck.
    aka Jude

My Studio

By the gods, trying to build something with just base game content is a horrendous task!!! It's absolutely exhausting. Partly because all my "go to" items are apparently store items, but mainly because that lovely filter thingy that is in the buy/build menu doesn't work to filter out store items. So I have to visually sort through everything anyway. And, apparently, not everything is properly identified. So the windows that I've built the whole bakery's look around really are store items and I am going to have to go back in and figure something else out. Honestly, I do already have a Plan B, but it's still rather frustrating and I don't know how some designers do it on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to create two different install folders and switch back and forth and I'm sure as plums gonna have to do that for future requests because this has me seeing cross-eyed. And having so little to work with was very frustrating. Now I am ever so much more impressed with people who manage nice builds working only with base game content.

It certainly did make me think outside my usual box a couple times, and I'm happy with that. Anyway, back into the fire to replace the two problematic items. Capture some new pics, then back to post the final results.
    aka Jude

My Studio

Wow, Jude525, you sure had/have your work cut out for you! I don't have much experience building in Sims 3, so I'm not sure how nuts this all gets, lol. Obviously, you've been put through the ringer! And since I don't have much experience with building, take this with a grain of salt, would it help at all to have two bakeries in the same town (one loaded and the other with base game content) temporarily and then when you are finished building the base game bakery, just save it to file and keep your original? Like I said, I might not know what I'm talking about with such little experience, so I'm not sure if what I'm saying makes sense or if it helps at all.
    @funkeeferret, what I did was load the original and strip it down to the walls and build it up again, checking that I was only using base game pieces. I have a utility that turns off expansions and stuff packs, but it can't disable store content. There is "usually" a small icon in the thumbnail to indicate store content, but apparently either I overlooked it or it was missing from a couple build items. They showed up in the filter when I uploaded the lot to my Store Studio.

It actually worked out for the best because once I got back in I had another look around and made a few more enhancements. So, the finished build is a bit better than it would have been. Now my problem is that my computer crashed as I was working on it. Not a big deal for the build; I remembered precisely what changes I had made. But, I am now unable to sign in to my accountant, either in-game or in the Launcher. So I can't upload the lot to my Studio. This has me a bit concerned because it may be a sign of a larger problem. Heck, my computer crashing at all is concerning. It's less than a year old and I'm very careful about what I put on to it. Even if The Sims crashed, it shouldn't have brought the whole system down. But that's a different issue.

So, for now I'll post the lot to Simshare and move it to my Store Studio when I can. So.....
    aka Jude

My Studio

edited November 2017
    Here is my "stripped down" version of my Bachini Brothers' Bakery. Or,Bachini Bakery 2.0
    link

It's actually no longer a bakery at all, but just a hangout with the same basic aesthetic as the bakery. It contains no content beyond the base game, which really limits what can be going on.

Here's an exterior shot, with cafe tables. I had to completely change the windows and door. Once I did I no longer felt that the tan bricks worked, so I replaced the siding with a mini-gingerbread motif. I've left a portion of the upper half wall, implying the former presence of a sign. Sadly, I couldn't think of any way to place any kind of sign there. I've added a grill in the corner to allow for a source of food on the lot other than the fridge that is inside.

Prm2myT.jpg
    Here's an interior shot. I've kept the color scheme. Same counters and wallpaper. Had to change lighting fixtures and remove just about everything else. All the cooking options were removed. They were all store content, and there are no base-game options for cooking on public lots other than the simple park grills.

nqWo1sS.jpg

And here is the interior from the other side. You can see that I've filled some of the bakery display area with a juice bar. Again, just to provide something to do on the lot.

RSw6hX9.jpg

My goal on this build was NOT to create the best socially active lot. It most certainly does not do that. My intent was to provide a shell for others to build up from using whatever premium content they do have available from their own collection. Whether it's the Savvy Seller's collection; the Java Hut from University Life; a real bar from Night Life; the Tea Set from the Old Mill set, whatever. This way anyone can download the basic lot and work from there without the game refusing the download.

I hope someone finds a use for it. If nothing else it was an introduction into designing within a set of limited parameters, which is new to me.
    aka Jude

My Studio

Oh boy, thank you!!! I downloaded it. I will be able to install it tomorrow evening. I really do appreciate all the work and tweaking you went through to share your lot. It looks great!!! I have Savvy Sellers and also Night Life. This is a great way for those of us without the Indulgent bakery to enjoy your lot! My Sims need a new hang out anyway. They kept going to that Nibbles Cafe, which I found claustrophobic, lol, so this will be lots of fun! I'll post back when I get it going! Thanks again for all your time and thanks for sharing!
    You're welcome. I really was glad to do it.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    Both versions of the Bakery are very nice! :) Very nice designs of both versions! The blue colour scheme of the interior gives a very nice look and feel to the venues. You are so very kind and thoughtful to do the second base game only version ! Simmers who just have the base game will still be able to enjoy having your bakery build in their game, and those with some of the items that were in the first version can add them to this build. It looks very nice how the outdoors tables and chairs have been set up in the front areas of the builds. Sims will enjoy sitting at the tables eating or having a drink in the sunshine or outdoors air.
    It was great reading about the changes/items removed or added, for the second version .
    Sims will enjoy visiting both venues :)
    Thank you Rose @rosemow. As @mpart has mentioned on her builds, you are so thoughtful and conscientious in your reviews.

I've just been poking around in your threads. They are very pleasant. And active! Usually threads about how players are feeling and doing in general don't seem to carry much weight in my albeit limited experience here. I know how happy I am to be an active member of the Daily Deal Rotation thread and the community we have there. Being able to share both game and OE aspects with each other is a real treat. I must admit that I've been spared the strong negative experiences I've heard of in some threads. And I'm very grateful for that as well.

But you seem to make such a conscious effort to make people feel welcome and valued within the community, and I want to acknowledge that and thank you for that.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• MpartMpart Posts: 115 Member
    I completely and wholeheartedly agree with @Jude525. The bakery looks wonderful too and your ability to improvise for the missing store content is awesome! :)
    t2W9HAW.png

Mpart's Builds; Taking Requests (Indefinite Hiatus)
    edited September 2017
    My friend @ZeeGee found a hidden piece of custom content attached to some of my lots. I am in the process of removing it and reposting the files. I do not know yet which lots where actually effected. For now I have pulled all my content from the Exchange. However, if you installed any of my lots then you may have "infected" your game. I'm very sorry. This content is functionally harmless, but attaches itself to almost everything you create and share.

By tomorrow I hope to identify which lots were actually infected.

The CC is called "Arezzo Bathroom CounterRight." There are instructions here for removing it from your game, but it can be ornery and resistant. I am in the process of following the more thorough instructions that ZeeGee provided me with. Once I am familiar with them I will be more than willing to help anyone else through it on their system. I'm sorry about this. The counter was intentionally used in a house I downloaded from a creator who didn't know that it was a corrupt file. Clearly, neither did I. The creator of the file has long since fixed it, but the corrupt version is all over the place at this point. *sigh*

Please message me with any questions.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    edited September 2017