Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

***Mushroom Cloud Chronicles*** Redesigning the bunker: Underground Pond.

I have realized that I'm going to have to redesign the bunker that I created for the "Mushroom Cloud Chronicles" (My nuclear apocalypse Sims 3 story). I find that I have to have five levels underground with the bottom level being excavated before walling in so that I can put a pond in there...so that my bunker inhabitants can actually fish and farm in there.

1. This is going to mean that I'm going to have to use constrainfloorelevation false cheats and use stairs to punch the ground down the equivalent of five levels and then level out the ground with the terrain tool. To put it simply, I need exposed ground on Bunker Level 4 so that I can plant trees and create a pond and garden so that I can have my sims farm and fish and then I'm going to have to enclose it all off (for the story-line). As you can tell, I'm not looking forward to this build because I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. So I figure, I might as well just chronicle my build and see if I can get pointers from the experienced builders here.
2. I am going to presume that since I am putting four levels (which would ordinarily be above-ground level below ground, that I will still have four floors below THAT to work with as well, so in essence I will have eight floor below ground, plus the entrance structure above ground for the total of nine-floors allowable by TS3 to build.

I'll add in pictures in this post later to show the build so that I can get help which I definitely know I'm going to need.
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Comments

• MilkiMilki Posts: 51 Member
    Can't wait to see the pictures!
    37014449452_29a2394fc8.jpg

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,575 Member
    edited September 2017
    Hello
    In Sims 3, you can have 5 levels above ground and 4 basement levels. If you don't have 5 levels above ground, those levels are unable to be used as underground levels. You can still only have 4 basement levels.
    This is a guide to multi storeys and basements
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/buildedit/houses/multilevel/

I hope that your bunker build goes well ! :)

Edit : I am sorry. My post isn't helpful for your situation and what you are doing in your build.
    Post edited by rosemow on
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer From the standpoint of the game mechanics, no matter how far down you push the ground, it's still "above ground", so you should be able to put 5 levels of "dug-out' basement before using the actual basement tool to create 4 more truly underground levels. There may be a limit to how low it will let you push the ground down, though, so you may not be able to get 5 floors. But you won't know till you try!

Good luck!
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited September 2017
    @Creativemetaphor. I shoved the ground down at least four levels and was able to put four levels back up but then realized, I couldn't put a roof over it because somehow the top had a big gap where tiles wouldn't place and somehow...on one attempt I kept getting the "covered by floor tile" error which prevented me from putting up walls...to create rooms... And yeah...the no roof part in the greenhouse area would "irradiate the whole bunker...if it couldn't be enclosed. Oh, I'm trying...with relative degrees of success...and it's succeeding...

...in driving me mental.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer If you have ITF you can use the grass rugs, paint them like dirt and garden on those. I use them all the time in greenhouses or indoor gardens. I don't know anything about building with the CFE cheats. Good luck.
    @bekkasan. Unfortunately ITF is still one EP that I have to get. :D But it's probably going to be next on the list.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer Oh, that is a bummer. I think that the grass rugs are the best thing in that EP, well, I kinda like the jet pack and the flying cars too. :)
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer
    Use your constrainfloorelevation false and 'level' the whole thing. The missing tiles are, in my experience, where the expected floor level does not match the current floor level around it. If you drag a level across the whole thing your floor tiles should place again.
    edited September 2017
    This is the bunker that I came up with, that I am currently working on. It's four stories into the ground with a foundation and a bunker entrance which allows my Sims to go in and not have to worry about contaminating the entire bunker.
    Screenshot-2.jpgScreenshot.jpg The first floor is above ground is a reinforced concrete structure that will withstand a 1.2MT blast detonated above the city center and serves as the entrance to the underground bunker. Reinforced with cross-beams. it is designed to withstand blast effects and with four ninety degree turns in its winding path to the interior entrance door, it will prevent radiation from getting into the bunker since the walls are lined with lead.the foundation is six feet thick and encapsulates an underground lake which will be stocked with fish that the bunker occupants can fish for and a green area which will allow the planting of a garden underneath the ceiling of the bunker. Also the greenery will recycle carbon dioxide and provide fresh oxygen.
    Screenshot.jpgScreenshot-3.jpgScreenshot-4.jpgScreenshot-5.jpgScreenshot-6.jpg The first bunker level underground, is at the foot of the stairs, and has a decontamination area with four showers which must be used before occupants are allowed into the common bunker area and it must be done every single time that the bunker occupants go to fish or garden as a precaution just in case there is a leak in the roof. After the decontamination is done, the Sims will walk through the two "hermetically-sealed" doors. I'm going to put in regular steel doors right now, but I will replace them with the doors in ITF. I wish there was a way of getting the doors that the Good Citizen's Warehouse has - those would be the perfect doors.
    Screenshot-2.jpg There is a secondary stair inside the common area of the bunker to completely block off the rest of the of the bunker from direct contact to the outside and I will be trying to figure out the layout for each floor.
    Screenshot-3.jpgScreenshot-4.jpg Bunker underground level 2 only has the stairs as does Level 3.
    Screenshot-6.jpg Bunker Underground Level 4 has another decontamination unit because it's the lowest part of the bunker and to make absolutely certain that they are not dragging contaminants into the lower level, they shower again. I'll show all layouts in Part II, once I am done outfitting the entire bunker.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    This build looks really neat. Doing it with CFE sounds ambitious! I have only recently learned how to do CFE, and I'm not that confident with it, so I wouldn't even try this myself. :)

I think using the ITF dirt rugs is probably much easier; those rugs were the main reason I bought ITF. :)

You could also use the planters from Supernatural, if that won't break the challenge you're doing. That's a way around it, if you don't want to get ITF yet.
    Unfortunately, I don't currently own ITF, but I certainly intend to one of these times. And I'm just "writing a story"; no Apocalypse challenge involved. :)
    GYZ6Ak9.png