Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• EiraRoseEiraRose Posts: 203 Member
    @CitizenErased14 I hope this doesn't sound strange, but sometimes I feel like your commenters can be borderline mean! In chapter 10 of Harper's story people were so picky about that one picture of Harper giving that girl a what-for! (lol) Honestly I just wanted you to know that you really do a fantastic job and the buildup for Harper had me loving the possibility of a more morally-gray heir. I honestly think your chapters are extremely well done! I usually don't comment much when I'm playing "catchup" and to be honest I got completely absorbed into reading your chapters that I forgot that was even a thing (oopsies)! I laughed, I cried, I was emotionally dragged on this rollercoaster. It's wonderful, lol! That's the best part of these simlit stories for me.

Anyways, I just thought I'd let you know I'm eagerly awaiting to see what's in store for the darling Harper, and that I'm rooting for her over here, silently at first, but soon very vocally! :smiley:
  • SpixieSimSpixieSim Posts: 28 New Member
    why whn I quote someone it just comes up with the triangle thingy ma bobbers
    SpixieSim wrote: »
    why whn I quote someone it just comes up with the triangle thingy ma bobbers

You're not yet a full member! Once you reach 30 posts and 50 "points" (as well as been a part of the forum for longer than 24 hours) you'll be boosted up to Member status. Weird regulations to help minimize spam!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    had dinner then i found candy in my fridge.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    had dinner then i found candy in my fridge.

at least your found candy-I found a spoiled cream cheese container which means I don't know what to do about my breakfast tomorrow-I don't like Mom's idea of Jam&cheese because it's too messy even going lightly on the jam. If I have a granola bar and cheese-I know I will have way too much cheese for 1 person. I don't want cereal because 3 people need to share the milk as it is Dad for his morning oatmeal, Mom for her school lunches, and me for our suppers not to mention cereal (because it shredded Wheaties)-takes way too long to prepare. Also I have my yogurt and fruit to eat as well.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    EiraRose wrote: »
    @CitizenErased14 I hope this doesn't sound strange, but sometimes I feel like your commenters can be borderline mean! In chapter 10 of Harper's story people were so picky about that one picture of Harper giving that girl a what-for! (lol) Honestly I just wanted you to know that you really do a fantastic job and the buildup for Harper had me loving the possibility of a more morally-gray heir. I honestly think your chapters are extremely well done! I usually don't comment much when I'm playing "catchup" and to be honest I got completely absorbed into reading your chapters that I forgot that was even a thing (oopsies)! I laughed, I cried, I was emotionally dragged on this rollercoaster. It's wonderful, lol! That's the best part of these simlit stories for me.

Anyways, I just thought I'd let you know I'm eagerly awaiting to see what's in store for the darling Harper, and that I'm rooting for her over here, silently at first, but soon very vocally! :smiley:

I so agree with this observation! I really think that it's just because the readers get SO emotionally invested--but sometimes I feel like mentioning that it's Citizen's story, and she's got a plan, and maybe it's worth considering withholding judgment for a while? But I also think that half the fun of it for some readers it that they can get SO into it!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »

I so agree with this observation! I really think that it's just because the readers get SO emotionally invested--but sometimes I feel like mentioning that it's Citizen's story, and she's got a plan, and maybe it's worth considering withholding judgment for a while? But I also think that half the fun of it for some readers it that they can get SO into it!

she plans i know. i wonder if her sims follow it.
    CathyTea wrote: »

just a observation of my own the only fight we ever had was caused because you thought i ayden was to hard on elsa . but you didn't ask what i planned to do we got in argument instead. :) see i read when you type i just don't always understand what you type.

love you.
  • SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    Hey there, everyone! I'm coming here only to post one new chapter of my story after a loooooong hiatus! A little diferent time than usual, but, hey, that"s something!Here we have it! :)
    S.2.Chapter.3:Normal Couple
    @CathyTea I think it's great when people get invested, but I still wish people would be courteous in comments! As a writer I know how much time and effort can go into a story, and it's very clear to me that @CitizenErased14 works so hard on the chapters! I just noticed it and felt upset that some people could get so aggressive! I think you've got a good way to look at it though - investment! Keep up the fantastic work on Ashes to Ashes, CitizenErased! All those comments are just a sign of how good you do! :smiley:
    because i didn't shop this week my fridge has more ice cream than food. yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    because i didn't shop this week my fridge has more ice cream than food. yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Now THAT'S the way to live! :lol:

So... I haven't yet done this so I hope it's ok. You all have been so kind! I updated Where the Willow Walks! I usually do a gif for a title teaser:

Now THAT'S the way to live! :lol:

So... I haven't yet done this so I hope it's ok. You all have been so kind! I updated Where the Willow Walks! I usually do a gif for a title teaser:

yeah i shop like a 5 year old with a debit card.
    @friendsfan367 I laughed way harder at that than I should have... I'm the same! :lol:
    why is your sim falling down?
    oh i forgot i had 2 ice creams today. cheaper than runinng the air.
    why is your sim falling down?

:# Foreshadowing. ;)
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Thoughts and prayers for my Simming friends for safety and peace for those affected by the two major hurricanes.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member

I might be guilty of this - I'm sorry! :O And @CathyTea is right about the reasons - I'm just so MAD (sad, shocked) sometimes. :smiley: I read the chapter and the characters are doing something dumb or mean or problematic, usually just when the things were starting to look better - and I just get so mad! I want to scream at the screen, so I go and I write a comment about that. And I must admit, often I am ashamed about how I reacted and I think to myself: "Geeez, now that was harsh!"

In my defense, I do it with all the stories I enjoy - you should see me watching Game of Thrones, my commentary can be downright vulgar! But I think it should be considered a good thing, because, at least in my case, it means that I am so invested in the story I didn't take the time to think about it.

As for hating on a morally-gray heir (which I haven't read about yet, so I'm just guessing) - that's because readers have this mentality of good vs. evil that is just so typical in stories. And even though it's a cliché, people still love rooting for a hero just as much as they love hating on a bad guy. Now, we know world is never black and white, but, well, reality can be boring and dissapointing and bland - that's why many of us turn to stories in the first place. And I think most people know that these not-so-perfect decisions and questionable behaviour is there to make things interesting. Sometimes I even laugh when I see a comment saying "What X did? Now that was problematic bla bla bla." and I think to myself "Of course, it was problematic, that's the point, it's called plot." And then I go and, consumed by reader-rage, I comment something similar :smiley:

Well, this turned out to be quite a monster post! But I hope it helps to shed some light on slightly problematic behaviour of the readers. It's probably different for everyone but this is what usually led me to say something unkind. And for that I am very, very sorry. Please, @CitizenErased14 and everyone else who experienced this, forgive us for being so unforgiving - we don't really mean it like that!
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Please don't worry about it @CharmingMaruska ! :heart: I appreciate your explanation, but it isn't necessary. Thank you though! I know emotions sometimes run very high when people read my story :)

Hugs! :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    Thank you though! I know emotions sometimes run very high when people read my story :)

I am ashamed to admit that I am guilty of this, numerous times. So many times I regret flying off the handle in various chapters (especially in Gen 4)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    rednenemon wrote: »
    Thank you though! I know emotions sometimes run very high when people read my story :)

I am ashamed to admit that I am guilty of this, numerous times. So many times I regret flying off the handle in various chapters (especially in Gen 4)

I think so many of us are guilty of this. I think I was also a Gen 4 harsh commenter. Luzel just... ugh... I think I worked hard to come up with new and interesting ways to convey my feelings, and for some reason, that meant harsher and harsher language.

Luckily, when Zayne came around, I did much better with my responses. I like to think of myself as a reformed harsh commenter. Hopefully that is the case.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited September 2017
    I almost never make serious comments because I'm not really a fan of fanning the flames when I don't have to. Even on my own stuff these days. But everyone loves jokes, sarcasm, and memes. :p
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    I apologize if people feel targeted by my comment - that wasn't my intention at all! Being emotionally invested in your comment is NOT at all what I meant about people being "borderline mean!" My main issue was I saw people nitpicking a pose or a detail in a sequence as their comment instead of actually providing something meaningful to the conversation. In a way, being passionate isn't mean at all (but I can't speak for anyone, of course, and I certainly didn't "take names" while I read. I just remembered the CONTENT of the comments that bothered me mostly). Being passionate, I'm pretty sure, is perfectly fine! It's when someone NITPICKS at something that's not really related to the STORY but rather to the MAKING of the story - like a pose not working correctly, that boils my blood the most. OR if your comment outwardly calls out a writer and is angry WITH THEM (like legitimately angry, not joking angry because you feel emotional after a chapter) for some reason or another.

@CharmingMaruska @rednenemon and @cecerose0208 - I was more bringing it up not to TARGET people, but rather to draw people's attention so that way we can all work together to fight against comments that are borderline mean on the amazing story @CitizenErased14 puts her effort into! Passionate comments are great - nitpicking comments are the ones I want to fight against! I was just hoping to incite people here that I know read Ashes to Ashes to help "kill those commenters with kindness!" :heart: I think we all agree that Ashes to Ashes is amazing and that the content is awesome, even if sometimes the characters boil our blood (which is even more of a compliment to CitizenErased's writing)!

I really hope I didn't start something, and I apologize if anyone feels offended by my comment. I only wished to draw awareness!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top