Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Oh God please....change this before release

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    You don't take advertising screen shots of things that are not ready. Grass is likely final.
    You can not spray paint over it because you can't spray paint the whole world.
    IT IS very heavy on the eyes. 3D objects are less heavy on the eyes. The texture should not be so cluttered.

I agree. I think allot more people will have issues looking at that texture. Especially when moving the camera. Like you I noticed it right away.
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Hahahah I was also staring in horror at the grass texture when I first saw this picture on Sims Community.
    Like, "Awww these dogos are so cute :blush: Wait... what are thoooooose *stares at grass*
  • PapayaPancakePapayaPancake Posts: 867 Member
    What's with those textures lately!? First the ball pit now this!? :D
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    @Wulfsimmer idk if someone already said this but that hair is from Spa Day. You are right it could be better tho.
  • PeppermixPeppermix Posts: 231 Member
    I actually like it, but I wish they would scale it down. Right now it looks like they zoomed in on something.
  • zubrowkaszubrowkas Posts: 375 Member
    What's with those textures lately!? First the ball pit now this!? :D

It seems to me like they are actively trying to cut corners on some content in favour of throwing time and money at other bits. What strikes me is how aware we all are of that and how many people have continuously pointed it out and yet it seems they've made little attempt to remedy it (or at least do a better job of hiding it?) They could do much better than that texture - they've done much better than that texture in the past.
  • kendallrankendallran Posts: 125 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    kendallran wrote: »
    They've already stated that the pack is still under development and that they're still adding finishing touches. If the game was done they would've released it earlier than November instead of waiting 2 months.

um nope the game is done-why else do you think there's a "Games week" they're only waiting till Nov for you know the hoilday season

No the game is still under development, the "Games week" is to show off the main features that they've already finished.
  • kendallrankendallran Posts: 125 Member
    As in under development I mean polishing objects/everything and testing it to make sure it is bug free
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    IMG-1795.jpg

The floor texture...plum is this o.o

Pls texture team, don't be plum thx

It's just subliminal advertisement for creamed spinach.

But really, I think this is going to increase chances of headaches for those who get them from playing the game.
  • SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited September 2017
    IMG-1795.jpg

The game hasn't been polished yet. That's probably the reason for the texture. They still have a long way to go.

When has a thing ever been shown in a trailer then chaned?

All the time. In fact, there have been plenty of instances where things that show up in trailers didn't even end up in the final product. Sure, you'd figure being this close to the release date, most of what you see is what you're going to get, but then, this is an expansion, not a full game, and given how they released it, I'm not too sure how long they've been sitting on this trailer to release it after it was finished.

But yeah, things change all the time. And yes, the grass doesn't look good at all in this shot.
  • FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Tbh I barely noticed the texture in the roofs photo xD Here it is more noticeable. It isn't that bad but could be much, much better. I hope the texture team perfects it.
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    I dont mind. Since its the grass texture for lots, there will be flowers/paint over most of it anyway (at least in my game).
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    IMG-1795.jpg

The game hasn't been polished yet. That's probably the reason for the texture. They still have a long way to go.

No. It is done. When has a thing ever been shown in a trailer then chaned? Everything shown is finished.

Then why is your thread called change it before release if nothing has ever been changed before release :p

I'll have to see more to decide how I feel
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    The game isn't finished, there's might be a chance they will fix that... I feel it is not the texture that is awful..its the colour, deep green would have been much better looking.

The Sims Game
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    When looking at your picture it looks as though it isn't level all over. Are they trying to introduce lumps and bumps or is it an illusion?

@Mchap353 That was my first thought too. "Oh hey, that looks like a slope." I hope it actually is one, and not just part of the off-lot world.

If they were to put terrain tools in the EP don't you think they had advertised it?

Not if they're part of the pre-pack patch.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    When looking at your picture it looks as though it isn't level all over. Are they trying to introduce lumps and bumps or is it an illusion?

@Mchap353 That was my first thought too. "Oh hey, that looks like a slope." I hope it actually is one, and not just part of the off-lot world.

If they were to put terrain tools in the EP don't you think they had advertised it?

Very true. Look at the way they surprised us with toddlers in the patch right before Vampires.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

I would honestly be so happy if they actually do that.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Why would they even bother doing that? Just make it a plain green color like the rest of the game that we have now.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Honestly, it fits the style and I like it. I do prefer the previous grass from Windenburg, but I don't hate this at all.

The grass in The Sims 4 is still miles better than The Sims 2, and the Sims 3 grass looked great top down but was blurry from normal viewing angles.

mate....TS2 was released in 2004. "miles better" doesn't really say much because...well there isn't even 🐸🐸🐸🐸 grass. It is a flat texture
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
    TheSimer wrote: »
    me no like fake hair too. Looks like one of those floating CC hair. Why :/

This hairstyle is already available with spa day

Not the point. What I mean is how it is floating makes it look ugly

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?

No one said it is finished. But what we are shown is final. Maybe a little polishing for them but nothing will change.... You should know this by now from the previous 3 EPs...

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    I'll say pretty much the same thing I said on Reddit: TF2 which is turning 10 years old have better grass texture, that's insane, The Sims 4 JUST turned 3 years old.

zz8YqKj.jpg
    gCQKjq4.png
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    When I saw that screenshot, I was hoping the textures just hadn't loaded yet or something. ... Because that's what it looks like.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited September 2017
    As someone pointed out, they have a marketing team. The marketing team would never ever ever ever greenlight this photo being released and would instead insist the scene takes place somewhere else if the grass texture is unfinished. Either someone involved in marketing is about to have a serious talking to, this EP is being rushed, or we've actually fallen that low that this is now considered "acceptable."

If anything, the fact they did take this pic is what's scary, because it makes you wonder what the other areas look like.

It's very easy to see what's wrong with this texture. Skyrim for example had an infamously bad UI to the point that there's a somewhat well-known image floating around the internet that breaks down all the basic rules of UI design that are taught (minimize clicks and user movements neccesary to navigate, effective use of "real estate" aka of space, function over form, etc) and all the ways Skyrim violated them. This is a similar case and I feel you could objectively break down all the ways this violates basic rules of world texture design. It's also much worse knowing this is a world and this is also two-for-two now that they've handed us an ugly surface texture. Like with the ballpit it's a one-off object; not defending it, but if a Guru said "my dog ate my coding" and rushed the ballpit as a one-off instance of bad quality objects, ok. It sucks, but at least it's a one-off.

This is not inspiring in the slightest. This is not an object, but rather a part of the world. An object is something we can opt out of purchasing, a world is not something we can change or look away from. (without mods) I mean I'm no graphical expert but even I can break down some basic problems:

1) It's a repeating noise pattern with no variation whatsoever. Such a basic texture might be expected with games as the bottom layer texture, but then the team takes special care to randomly places bushes, flowers, or other graphical textures one layer above it in order to make the land more diverse. If you play any game from 10 years ago, the main thing you'll notice is games today allow for more detail, whereas older ones have noticeable repeating patterns. This one does not even bother with Step 2 in trying to dress up a texture. It is absolutely alarming and mind-numbing to imagine that THIS could potentially be the end product. It is actually so hard to believe that I think I'd rather believe the project is being rushed to release instead of the other two possibilities. (marketing being drunk the day this photo was shared, this is just considered normal now)

2) The texture itself is not great. The blades of grass are huge and it ultimately just feels like we're zoomed in too far, like someone accidently zoomed in on the texture and saved it that way when it was supposed to be much smaller. Load up 10+ year old game like Oblivion for example and the basic pattern you'll see for the basic underlying textures is they're a bland, generic green with little detail, because they know and expect it to be drawn over. Heck, even the grass textures in Windenburg and Oasis Springs share this quality; go look at those.

This one actually has effort put into it, which ironically is bad because it draws attention to how bad and basic it is. The others know and understand that they're just basic underlying textures, so they try NOT to be noticeable so that the blades of grass or flowers placed over them are what jumps out, and so that you only notice the underlying texture if you REALLY focus on it and actively look for lackluster graphics. This one instead jumps out and screams for attention.

3) Even the variation in elevation looks really, really choppy. It's strange that until now, we've gotten flat lots and surfaces, but NOW they choose to showcase slight variations and slight dips in the dirt with their ugliest world texture ever. It just...doesn't look good, and I'm really perplexed why they didn't at least smooth things out. This is perhaps one of the biggest worries for me and one of the biggest pieces of "evidence" that this is indeed the final product, because it's certainly possible it's uglier without the variation in elevation. (probable, infact) If that's the case, I'd take that to mean they couldn't be bothered to do anything other than change the elevation here and there - which itself is quite ugly - and this obviously doesn't bode well for those of us hoping this isn't the final product.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    I'll say pretty much the same thing I said on Reddit: TF2 which is turning 10 years old have better grass texture, that's insane, The Sims 4 JUST turned 3 years old.

zz8YqKj.jpg

For one brief and fleeting moment I thought that was some new neighborhood coming to TS4....and then I saw the texture and realized "Oops nope!"

From the get go I was never happy with the watercolor terrain texture, it does something uncomfortable to my optics. I had to do terrain replacement and it eased the issue a bit for me but I'm trying to figure out why they took this route with terrain texture. There are nicer textures they could have come up with that would still honor the art style of TS4.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top