Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

S4 BuildnShare Winners Circle

Comments

• FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member

@pronterus :smiley: Thank you, this was indeed a surprise! I get slightly better on every round. I've taken to doing some of the other challenges as well, first the history challenge and next up I'll try "Quality Control". That should be a tough one!
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Expert Results for Challenge #75 - Solstice Designer Showdown!

@Karababy52
    Nice roof work on the house. The roof trim really completes the look. Cute seating area with the stump umbrella and picnic area/fire pit. Looks like you’ve given some thoughtful use to terrain paint around your trees and vegetation. Lovely “screened” porch. Love the touches like the cooler and Coleman lantern. Great job of recreating a cabin-type kitchen. Love the picture window in the living room with view of the water. Creative creation of a wood stove and washer/dryer! Love your whimsical landing with the turtles and bathing gnome. Great custom-made vanities in the bathrooms.
    Suggestions: It’s always difficult to come up with suggestions for expert entrants… perhaps making the overall build a bit smaller (even if it’s not totally to scale for your summer cottage) would free up some $$ for more decorative touches?

@masajo
    What a cute little Greek-inspired home! I love the color scheme you’ve chosen for the landscaping. The reds contrast nicely with the blue touches in the architectural details. Love the use of the low fence around the front yard for definition. Cute roof details, and I love the window/door choices. Great landscaping choices. Gorgeous pool area. Love all the outdoor “rooms” you’ve created. Carrying over the blue and white color palette to the interiors is a good choice. Living room has a nice tropical vibe to it. Cute child’s room and lovely master suite. The toddler’s room is just perfect! Roof terrace is nicely done.
    Suggestions: Not sure about the black stone texture on the rooftop terrace. It seemed to overpower the other objects.

@pronterus
    This is a gorgeous build from the front. Great details on the gates and fantastic landscaping. Nice roof work as well. Nice contrast between the brick and stucco exterior. Love all the windows and archways. Great carport. I love your explanations of each room in your slideshow. You really give us a glimpse into the details that give authenticity to a Filipino home. Good flow in the rooms downstairs. Kitchen is spacious and well-designed with little touches that make as if it’s actually used. Upstairs living spaces are nicely done. I love the casual feel of the outdoor entertainment area. It really looks like an area that might have evolved over time with pieces added here and there.
    Suggestions: Some of the rooms (just a few) were a little brown/monotone and could benefit from some contrasting textures or colors.

And the Winner is ......

@masajo !
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    Congrats for the well-deserved win @masajo !
  • masajomasajo Posts: 5,993 Member
    A very big thank you @BuildnShare for your kind and wonderful feedback, totally agree about the rooftop flooring :)
    Many thanks @pronterus very kind of you :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Congratulations @masajo, absolutely loved your build! :)

Thank you so much for the critique @BuildnShare I expected y'all would say something about the lack of decorations, and I agree. I tried to do this build as close to our real vacation cottage as possible and it doesn't have a lot of extras so I purposely left them out. Normally, I adore TONS of clutter and decorations!

In hindsight, since it really ended up quite different (second bathroom where a bedroom should be and the real landing is NOTHING like the one I created) I should've just decorated a bit more like I would do if I actually owned the place myself. *shrugs*

Oh well, it was fun to make and brought back lots of memories while I was building it so it's a big win for me personally! :)

Happy Simming! <3
    Thank you very much @Karababy52 :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
    Established Results for Challenge #75 - Diamonds Are Forever

@FoundMarbles

Diamante Manor is a very appropriate name for this beautiful diamond shaped house which is enhanced by the light exteriors topped off with a darker contrasting roof. The colourful planting and pretty hedging adorn and bring colour to the build. Great veg plot and mini orchard and it's good to see you managed to fit a fishing pond into the garden, lots to do here. Fabulous use of terrain paint to create the curving pathways leading to the different areas, really adds interest to the landscaping. The house structure is complex and it may have been difficult to define the various rooms and areas but you have created an excellent design. I love the light tones of the interiors, which look very classy yet cosy, white is such an elegant colour to work with. You have given the diamond 'centre stage' in it's own showcase, I love how you've placed lights at either side for more effect.

Suggestions: The hedging surrounding the house is very pretty but a little monotonous. I would have broken it up in places by using fencing or a stone wall perhaps to define the veg plot and/or fishing pond. This would add more interest.

@emere

Wow, Facets is one amazing creation with a very unique and interesting structure using diamond facets and shapes. Excellent choice of windows and doors which really catch the eye and also provide lots of light and airiness indoors. The fountains at the front add elegance to the build and I love the paving design leading to the front entrance. The minimal planting works well with the modern style of the build and does not detract from the fabulous architecture. The great interior layout is decorated and furnished to perfection using beautiful soft shades of lemon and aqua. The general mood is very peaceful and relaxing. The diamond is housed in it's own display case and certainly placed in a prominent position at the front entrance for all to see and admire when entering the house. Wonderful open plan design for the living areas, the kitchen is well defined by using half walls and counters and I love the wall sculpture which features in the living room. Great to see more of this diamond paving at the rear, together with the diamond shaped pool. The sunken garden is a fabulous idea. I also like how you've used ivy to break up some of the plain exterior walls, looks very effective.

Suggestions: There is really not much to suggest other than maybe use some hedging at the left of the house to match the right, this would provide more balance I think.

@SyddyB206

Diamonds are for Bachelor is an absolutely gorgeous house with pretty gables and beautiful landscaping. Great choice of exterior wall textures which contrast well combined with the fenestration and trims. The trees provide the house with much privacy from passers-by at the front and I love how you've lined the pathway with stones. The window boxes on all the elevations also enhance and soften the build greatly. Lots of privacy also for the rear garden using a high fence. This is a wonderful area with the bbq, patio and refreshing pool. Lovely roof structure and great interior layout with all rooms easily accessible. The bright and warm colour scheme of the living areas adds warmth and life. I absolutely love how you've used these shades and softened them down in the kitchen, what a beautiful design, looks gorgeous. Good to see you've displayed the diamond in it's own display case and put it in a safe position.

Suggestions: You had quite a lot of funds left over from the budget which could have been put to good use. For instance, I would have added some clutter/plants to the corner units in the kitchen to make it look more 'lived in'. Adding a plant or light as a centrepiece for the dining table creates homeliness, as would candles or an ornament placed on the fireplace. Putting up more pics/wall hangings/plants to bare walls all add more interest and life to a house.

@glen1974

Spigoli is an impressive modern build with a very interesting and unique design. The wood and render work well together and the large windows are perfect for this style. It's good you've landscaped in accordance with the modern architecture and I love your choice of varying floor coverings to define the different areas. The garden is absolutely beautiful with the focal point being the diamond shaped floor tiles. They seem to draw the eye to this gorgeous Mediterranean garden. Very spacious open plan interiors which have a light and airy atmosphere. The diamond is prominently placed on the coffee table for all to admire. The upper floor layout is very complex due to the house shape but you have managed to create a great design of rooms here. I love how you've used pops of turquoise to give a striking vivacity to the rooms.

Suggestions: Regarding the office area on the upper floor, I would have either created a separate room for this or added a couple of dividers to separate it from the stairs and landing. I would also have defined the different areas on the ground floor by either using dividers or half walls or even plants and/or sculptures. I think this would have added more interest to the area.

Sim Challenge: Your interpretations of Sal and Zanna are absolutely wonderful and I love the wardrobes you have chosen from them, as well as the very appropriate traits. It was also great to see them doing the things they enjoy most, ie painting and gardening.

The Winner of this Challenge is ......

@emere

The Winner of the Sim Challenge is ......

@glen1974

GArBA5W.jpg

@emere Great Job! Congrats on the win, it was well deserved! :smiley:

@glen1974 Nice job on those Sims! Congrats on winning that part of the challenge. :smiley:

@BuildnShare Thank you for the kind comments, I 'get' the idea of breaking up the hedging, good point! The roofing was the most difficult part, getting all those angles neatly integrated was a bit tricky!
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • glen1974glen1974 Posts: 86 Member

Thanks for the feedback @BuildnShare - it's much valued and appreciated as always.I will def have another go at the sim challenge in the future even if I did win by default!
    Congrats to the winner @emere on a top notch build. Well deserved first place.
    Thanks @FoundMarbles for your comments to, much appreciated.
    edited August 2017
    Starting Out Results for Challenge #75 - Diamonds Are Forever

@amyybugg92
    Diamond Contempo is a gorgeous piece of architecture, so modern with lots of lovely clean lines. I like your use of the black exterior wall coverings to add some interest to the outside of the home.  Your interiors are gorgeous, your palette is cohesive throughout and the home has a real flow to it, your layout seems well thought out.  Your object choices and placement is wonderful, I especially like how you have that dining table placed under the wall clock.

Suggestions: I wonder if some terrain paint around the bushes might have helped it feel a little more natural, and maybe a terrain painted pathway to the veggie garden/orchard. Your exterior areas feel a little empty, I understand that funding can be an issue, but your balcony especially, the two plants are a good start, but maybe a yoga mat or a chess table, just something to give your sims a reason to go out there.

Sim Challenge:
    Sal and Zanna look great, I love the aspirations and traits you went with, I can totally see Zanna being a tad materialistic and Sal’s Romantic and Foodie traits are perfect too! They both look amazing and they seem to be enjoying their new environment.

@marellinor
    Wow! Diamonds Are Forever is a truly magnificent build! The architecture is so incredibly unique, you did a great job with the roof lines and your choice of marking out those bays with the brick is great. Your choice of plants is great, those trees certainly suit the style of the build. I am totally blown away by your interior design, the double height living and bathrooms are fantastic and I adore that little landing outside the bedrooms.  You have nailed that opulent styling throughout the home. Zanna’s painters room is outstanding as well.

Suggestions: Don’t forget about terrain paints, a little soil around the base of trees can help them feel a little more naturally placed. And I understand budgetary constraints, but there is a lot of flat unused land to the rear of the build. For me the kitchen is a tad too busy, especially in comparison to the rest of the home.

Sim challenge:
    Sal and Zanna look fantastic, you have chosen some really interesting trait combinations, Sal aspiring to be a Master Chef makes perfect sense and I can see him being materialistic.  I can also see he and Zanna clashing with her hot headed trait!  

And the winner is.....

@marellinor

I would like to add that this was a really tough choice to make this time around, you both created amazing homes with oodles of character and charm.

The winner of the Sim Challenge is....

@amyybugg92

GArBA5W.jpg
    Expert Results for Challenge #75 - Diamonds Are Forever

@abelhinha35
    You have created a very stylish ultramodern home for Sal with 007 Bond Street. The architecture is minimalist and quite striking. The use of the black room divider to set off the garden/courtyard is nicely done. The open floorpan works well; I especially like how the dining area is open to the courtyard. The small gourmet kitchen is also very attractive. The upstairs area is beautifully decorated, and I like where you've placed the easel for Zanna. The display for the uncut diamond is inspired! The photos in the display case are such a nice touch! I just hope there is a drain in the floor of the case, so that it doesn’t fill up with water! Really beautifully done overall with a lovely blend of colors and textures. :smiley:

Suggestions: You filled the brief, and your reference to the Bond films is very clever. It’s fun to imagine the 75-year-old Sal as a secret agent using his jewelry store as a cover! I have a few minor quibbles: the cabinets over the refrigerator are not quite aligned with each other. (It’s hard to get it perfect with MOO.) And the spandrels don’t seem to add much since the beam disappears into the ceiling. You might want to consider taking your pictures with a Sim living in the house (you don’t have to show the Sim; I usually send the Sim jogging while I take pictures!) so that you can use Live Mode for your camera. That would hide the debug light squares and also allow you to show the upper floor from the lower one.

@Ainsleyf
    The Little Villa packs a lot of Italianate charm! Wonderful wall textures on the exterior enhanced by the climbing vines! Your use of the arches for the entrance and the upper balcony is especially lovely. And the diamond doors and windows not only fits the theme, but also works with the style of architecture. The landscaping feels lush and inviting. Good use of terrain paint. A traditional interior style is a good choice for Sal, and you’ve handled it consistently. The green draping over the fireplace to highlight the uncut diamond works well; the kitchen seems cozy and well stocked. The painted green chair in the computer nook is a fun touch! Well done. :smiley:

Suggestions: I have only two minor quibbles: one is putting the closets in the landing on the upper floor instead of in the bedrooms. The other is the fairly rigid symmetrical layout of the whole lot. On the one hand, it is perfectly balanced, but sometimes a little asymmetry can enhance the charm of the place.

Sim Challenge: What a marvelous realization of Uncle Sal and his niece Zanna! Her outfits are perfect for her, and I love that you made Sal a buffed up 75-year-old. I would have liked to see just one more shot of Sal cooking for Zanna in his kitchen. 

@faithofkaela

Casa Di Fiore is aptly named because the landscaping is superb. The purple flowers tie the whole outside area together, and I love that you’ve included a bird feeder for Sal to enjoy. The architecture has a lovely Mediterranean feel to it; nice use of contrasting wall textures here. Inside, you’ve chosen warm, masculine colors that work well together. Everywhere there is a feeling of comfort and ease with lots of nice clutter details, like the shoe rack outside the front door. The window seat just off the dining area is my favorite part of the house, and I can imagine Sal spending a great deal of time there reading his cookbooks or watching the birds. Wonderful work! :smiley:

Suggestions: Two things I might change: the cabinets in the kitchen are placed too high on the wall. Sal would definitely need the step stool to reach anything in those cabinets, and the step stool is being used as a charming display shelf for his diamond! And the staircase needs railings. Even a younger man would want stair railings when he climbs to the upper floor to go to bed.

@kittkat7147

The house you’ve created for Sal is indeed a Jewel Box ! Choosing the 30 x 30 lot in Newcrest was a wonderful idea; it gave you plenty of room for some spectacular landscaping! The diamond grotto is inspired, and the little fenced garden with its charming fountain and gnome is delighful. The architecture of the house is very appealing in a traditional, homey way; a real estate agent would have no trouble selling this house on curb appeal alone! You’ve decorated the interior nicely with soft, peaceful colors—until you get to Sal’s bedroom! He will enjoy your tribute to the place of his birth with the use of bright red, green and white. Zanna’s bedroom is more subdued but lovely, and the vanity table was a nice addition there. And overall, it seems sensible to keep the house on just one level for a 75-year-old man. Nicely done! :smiley:

Suggestions: Be sure to turn off the grid when you take your overhead shots, and we expect all images to be labeled. I could pretty well tell what everything was, but labels would have helped. And a minor quibble: although the use of the stone and half-timber wall texture on the attic level of the house looks really lovely, practically, one wouldn’t put stone above siding because it couldn’t support the weight of the stone.

@masajo

Anyone would be lucky to have a house like Casa Di Fortuna ! The Italianate architecture is charming; I especially like the way you’ve balanced the arched doors and windows. The corbels also add a lot of interest. The landscaping, though, is the standout feature of this home. The front garden is lush and colorful. Sal will enjoy sitting on the wooden bench under the tree by the pond, playing his guitar and singing O Sole Mio! The back patio is truly an outdoor room, and I love how you’ve opened up the house onto it. Those Vampire Pack arches add just the right amount of ornament. You have kept the indoor palette mostly neutral with wonderful pops of red and orange. The layout of the house works well. And the pool, bordered by lemon trees, with its diamond island in the center is a wonderful feature! Lovely! :smiley:

Suggestions: I felt a little uneasy with Sal’s diamond placed in an open foyer where anyone could take it. And the efficient little full bathroom really needs a mirror. I know Sal doesn’t need one for shaving, but he might like one for brushing his teeth! (I do like how you’ve used the shelf so creatively above the sink and toilet, though.)

@suepea

There are many brilliant, yet subtle details in A Diamond Is Forever. One doesn’t notice until one looks from above that the house really is shaped like a diamond, and I love how you stayed true to that concept throughout the design of the house. Besides the shape of the footprint of the house, you have chosen windows and doors that suggest the facets of a diamond, and of course, the colors you chose—both outside and in—are in keeping with the diamond theme. And various elements, too, give a certain sparkle: like the intricate white patterns on the floor or the growfruit tree in the garden. Another subtle detail I really loved was the diamond shaped quilt on Zanna’s bed. You really were quite creative and inventive throughout! :smiley:

Suggestions: You might have used some room dividers to carve up the space on the ground floor and delineate the various areas and their functions—kind of like you placed the half wall in front of the stove. It would also have offered a number of decorative possibilities. Also, a few more pops of color would have been appreciated. Wherever you used them—like the bowl of fruit, for example—the areas came alive. And finally, your roof treatment really was brilliant. I wish you had made the various segments of the roof higher so that they would be more visible from the ground.

Forgive the pun, but you all did brilliantly! It was a great delight to review your work.

And there is a tie for first place. The winners are:

@KittKat7147 and @masajo

The winner of the Sim Challenge is....

@Ainsleyf
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Many congratulations to all the winners of this challenge, incredible talent all round :) A very big thank you @BuildnShare for your fabulous feedback, I did have a feeling you'd say that about the diamond placement :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • AinsleyfAinsleyf Posts: 880 Member
    Congrats to all the winners!! What a beautiful bunch of homes! And thanks to @BuildnShare for taking the time to critique our work and hold these great challenges!
  • suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    Congratulations to the winners -- @masajo and @KittKat7147 for their brilliant builds and @Ainsleyf for bringing Sal and Zanna to life!

Thanks for the crit -- it was spot on now that I look at the build.

It's been a long time since I've built for these challenges -- this was a fun one -- I can't wait to post my build for BnS #76!
    h2xmsbl]
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Wooohoooo!! Congrats everyone, some really amazing creations this challenge!! And thank you @BuildnShare for the feedback on my build, yeah, that's the only thing with the higher walls, it's really difficult to make the cupboards look any good at normal height, maybe next time I just shouldn't use 'em?! And stair rails, how on earth did I miss those?!

Congrats again @masajo, @KittKat7147, @emere and @marellinor!!!
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Thanks @BuildnShare for the feedback o:) Congratz to all the winners <3
  • abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,303 Member
    Great job everyone :)
    Expert Results for Challenge #75 - Diamonds Are Forever

@abelhinha35
    I just hope there is a drain in the floor of the case, so that it doesn’t fill up with water! Really beautifully done overall with a lovely blend of colors and textures. :smiley:

Hahaha, I think I did reinforce drainage somewhere there. :D

• marellinormarellinor Posts: 39 Member
    I've been away on a vacation so I just saw this! Thank you soo much for the feedback and for the award @BuildnShare and congratulations to all other winners :) great and creative work by everyone!
    edited September 2017
    Starting Out Results for Challenge #76 - We're Going Deeper Underground

@Valuzza90
    Wow, you’ve done a wonderful job creating Terrance and Peter, the back story you came up with is heartbreaking :cry: I would have liked to have seen the traits you decided on for them.

And the winner of the Sim challenge is......

@Valuzza90

GArBA5W.jpg
    edited September 2017
    Established Results for Challenge #76 - We're Going Deeper Underground

@FoundMarbles
    Hidden Pavilion is such an awesome build! Your landscaping is great and you have made some good use of the terrain painting tool. Great job using the enlarged rocks to effectively ‘hide’ the entryway to the home. Your interiors are extremely well laid out, and you have managed to inject so much personality into the home, Peter’s room in particular. And that little library/den area is just gorgeous. Your palette is great throughout the home, and your use of plants is awesome.

Suggestions: Just a couple this time around, the terrain around the pond and the veggie garden feels very bland, perhaps some terrain painted paths and some other plants or flowers would have helped it feel a little more natural. When you are using walls with gaps as door ways and you have different textures showing, it might be useful to pop a column up, to mitigate the change in wall covering, it felt quite jarring going from the dining area to the living area.

Sim challenge: Peter and Terrance look awesome, The traits you came up with fit them perfectly and they certainly look to be enjoying their new environment.

@emere
    I am in total awe of your creativity with this build, Steampunk Bunker is a masterpiece. You have put so much thought into every detail. The exterior looks fabulously ‘murky’ you have done such a great job with the terrain painting tool and the fact that you have the alien plants dotted here and there adds to the exteriors authenticity. The gravestones are an eery touch, I wonder who died here, and how?  Your interiors are also fantastic, so dreary and in keeping with the steampunk theme. Can I just say I love how you did the wooden flooring in the living room. Your little sunlit nook is a great addition and in a perfect position for Terrance to grab some fresh ingredients before cooking and that windows into that toxic pool, amazing!  And those hand carved pieces of plumbing are a wonderful addition. Honestly, I could go on and on about how much I love this build.

Suggestions: My only suggestions are with the rugs you have created with the flooring tool while they are a great idea, rugs don’t normally go all the way to the wall, they normally have a bit of a gap, I understand the budgetary constraints, but they looked a little ‘off’ to me.

@PersRealmsShadow
    Wow, a real bunker floor plan, where in heckity pie did you find that?? The exterior feels incredibly natural, you would really have no idea that there was a home built underneath the lot, you have made some really good use of the terrain painting tool up here.  The layout of the bunker works really well considering it’s unusual shape. You ahve done a great job on the interiors, your palette works well throughout and it’s great that you have kept the stone walls running through the entire build. Some lovely little personal touches, here and there, I love the pans on the counter in the kitchen for example.

Suggestions: I feel that in the den the stone wall texture should run along the whole of the section by the treadmill, it looks a little weird having stop mid way through the section, the same on the other side by the boxing dummy.  I understand the shape of the build is from a floor plan, but I would have been tempted to square off some of the unusable space, i.e. by the cozy cubby in Peter’s room and by the computer in the bottom landing.

And the winner is.....

@emere

Congrats, we would also like to suggest that you move up to Expert for your next entry!

And the winner of the Sim challenge is......

@FoundMarbles

Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Congrats @Valuzza90, @emere and @FoundMarbles!! Awesomeness all round :mrgreen:
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • AinsleyfAinsleyf Posts: 880 Member
    Congrats @Valuzza90 and @emere and @FoundMarbles!!! Woot!!

@emere Well Done! Congrats to a new "expert"! :smiley:
  • Valuzza90Valuzza90 Posts: 208 Member
    Thank you so much! It's my first challenge, I'm so happy! (*_*)
  • Valuzza90Valuzza90 Posts: 208 Member
    @BuildnShare

Traits:

Terrance Cophus
    - Hothead
    - Evil
    - Solitary

Peter Cophus
    - Popular
    - Active
    - Romantic

[img]https://s26.postimg.org/ig977dp0l/tratti.png[/img]