Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fun and useful things you can do with the retail system

Even though I don't use the retail/restaurant system for it's original purposes because it was a bit disappointing I have found other uses for it in my game.

Number 1: Separate household funds
What I like to do in my game is have separate household funds for my sims so they can save up for things. You can do this by purchasing an empty lot as retail store (or a restaurant if you don't have gtw). Then name the lot the something like (sim name)'s account. Buying the lot will cost money but you can cheat the money back or pretend it's the fee for opening the account. Then when your sim gets paid you can just transfer the money from the main household funds.

Number 2: Owning multiple homes
If you ever have really rich sims and envision them having a second home, you can buy one as a retail store or restaurant, and if you don't place the required objects it will be classed as a residential lot. Easy!

Number 3: Moving sims out but still controlling them
If you play legacies this may be useful to do if you want to move a sim out but don't want to lose complete control of a sim and not get notifications for them. You can just have your sim live at the second location and when you want to go back to the main lot you can click another sim in the household at the main lot and select the option switch control to (sim name).]

hope these were helpful and I explained them properly lol

Comments

• MrsTomato1018MrsTomato1018 Posts: 400 Member
    These are great! I hope that we get back the ability to own multiple properties, like we had in Island Paradise in Sims 3.
    Check out my YouTube channel!
    You can find me on the gallery at MrsTomato1018!
    You can find me on Twitter @MrsTomato1018!
  • FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Great ideas!
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• whatacatchdwhatacatchd Posts: 16 Member
    These are awesome idea, thanks!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Great ideas @MrMonty96, thanks for sharing!

My collector Sim used her retail lot and a generic lot as "tax shelters" or a way to avoid high bills in other words. She started out on an empty lot with no money and as soon as she had enough simoleans, I had her buy a retail lot. She slowly built an apartment there while collecting and basically living in the parks. She's a glutton too so her meals were 'free' if a bit gross. lol All her collectibles and large objects; rocket, telescope and observatory are stored on the generic lot.

She's collected all the base game collections and is working on others now from my extra packs. At one point she had a beautiful apartment with the best upgraded appliances/electronics etc., the shop, 75000 simoleans tucked away in the retail account and only paid 35 simoleans a week in bills!

She never opened the shop for business, it was just a front. ;) I love it! <3
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited August 2017
    You can choose what books you want a library to have by setting the lot as retail lot first. Have your sim buy the books you want, place them in a bookshelf. I wait until I am done building before I sell the building and turn it into a library or what ever public lot I want skill books the only books a sim can read while on that lot. I have used this method to create a Preforming Arts School, Science Skill center, Art Studio and cooking school. Other then that I haven't done anything with retail lots since shortly after GTW.
    Post edited by PsychoSimXX on

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    Great ideas!

Thanks, I just wanted to share some cool things I found in the game. On another note, I'm guessing that these tips will also work with the vet clinic with Cats and Dogs if it's anything like dine out and get together.
  • AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    Great ideas. I'll definitely try the second one.
  • SharpheartSharpheart Posts: 151 Member
    I love the first idea, I started doing that yesterday to get the rich lifetime wish thingy done where you have like 30,000 saved up and have made like 75000 -that's not the final step in that but you know what I mean- it prevents me from spending the money or my sims from entering countless gaming tournaments then quitting before it ends cx
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    these might be the only reasons to use that function in the game. I never liked this part of the game.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 102 Member
    Love your idea for moving sims out for legacies. I never buy retail lots for their intended function, only for making a second home for my sims.
    MoonSim wrote: »
    Love your idea for moving sims out for legacies. I never buy retail lots for their intended function, only for making a second home for my sims.

Lol same, the retail system was a bit of a let down tbh.
  • buzz_infamousbuzz_infamous Posts: 814 Member
    I demolish retail lots and put bars/restaurants etc in their place :) but treating them as a savings accounts sounds great :)
    Origin ID: minimalcanary
    Simpkin wrote: »
    these might be the only reasons to use that function in the game. I never liked this part of the game.

I feel like it was a rushed feature, like they originally planned to just have the 3 GTW careers but felt it wasn't enough and added retail and aliens.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited September 2017
    I am presently trying out a furniture store on the largest lot in Magnolia Parade, using Maxis' premade room sets next to one another with one side open to show them off as they do in our own warehouses here. Bedrooms, lounge, kitchen sets with their wallpapers and no windows, (got to be careful about the bathroom ones)! It seems to save a lot of time in building and filling but pricing the furniture might be a bit onerous.

I've still got to try it out. It could make a lot of money though.
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    I am presently trying out a furniture store on the largest lot in Magnolia Parade, using Maxis' premade room sets next to one another with one side open to show them off as they do in our own warehouses here. Bedrooms, lounge, kitchen sets with their wallpapers and no windows, (got to be careful about the bathroom ones)! It seems to save a lot of time in building and filling but pricing the furniture might be a bit onerous.

I've still got to try it out. It could make a lot of money though.

That's clever! I always wanted my Sims to have furniture stores and never thought to do it that way.