Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆☆ Sims 4 Quality Control Practice Challenges ☆☆

Comments

• kimartistkimartist Posts: 455 Member
    Cbear13 wrote: »
    @kimartist I went to do all your feedback and review but have noticed when I placed the build on the lot you stated everything moved and then when I checked the look of the lot to your pictures it is a different lot.
    It is very important for challenges that you build on the one lot and then put the correct lot name on the entry forms, reason being if we place your build on another lot than the one built on things move especially if using moo and it will cause a lot of errors.
    I also compared it to the pictures and lot that you put on your part 1 entry and it looks different again.
    You need to stick with the same lot all the way through the build and challenge parts or I will just keep finding errors lol.

I cant review or do the feedback until I know which lot it is and since its a different lot in the pics to the first part entry form it may have created more errors from then.

Sorry I know your keen for your feedback and I will try get it done as soon as we fix this up

Hi @Cbear13 I'm not sure why you had a problem. I did just download this to the exact same lot mention in the entry form
    Entry form
    Origin ID: kimartist
    Challenge/Part no: 1 Part 2 and 3
    Lot name that you built on: Willow Creek Roswell/Riverside Roost

and it downloaded from the Gallery exactly like it was. I'm very confused why the problem.
    revisedsig2.png

* * Origin ID: kimartist * * Gallery: kimartist * * Showcase: My Creations * * Picture Albums * * Google+ Collection **
    Follow me for the most current creations.

• Cbear13Cbear13 Posts: 6,278 Member
    @kimartist from the pictures you took on your entry form it is a different lot the pictures dont match the lot you stated on the entry form
    Also the lot you used for part 1 is different from the lot you listed from part 2
    When I placed the lot things had moved because it was a different lot that you built on
    New%20siggie%2011th%20Nov%2015.jpg
    ✦✦ Origin ID: cbear1313 ✦✦ Gallery: cbear1313 Gallery ✦✦ Cbear's Creations ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Practice Challenges ✦✦
    @kimartist I also found several errors that weren't there when I looked and reviewed your part 1, some of these are from it being on a different lot.
    For example if you look at the pictures of the front of your house in your entry form for part 1 and the front picture from parts 2 and 3 you can see that the terrain paint has moved and is now sticking out and under the fencing lining the path.
    It is not doing this in the part 1 picture. Placed on different lots makes things move and creates placement errors. There is more also that has either moved or you have moved
    Another example which I think you moved is the bird bath in the front garden bed now has a big plant sticking right through it. Its hard to tell if its moved again from change of lot or if you had moved it when you continued with part 2 and 3.
    You have somehow used 3 different lots
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    @Cbear13 I don't know what happened, so I'll just skip the rest of this and forget the reviewing. Thanks anyways.
    revisedsig2.png

* * Origin ID: kimartist * * Gallery: kimartist * * Showcase: My Creations * * Picture Albums * * Google+ Collection **

I sent you a message @kimartist but im off to bed as its nearly midnight. Its to much work to just forget about it would like to sort out the issue with the different lots
    @Cbear13 I think I found which lot it was. I have tried it on every lot in Willow Creek and this one I think is the only one. I had removed it to build another challenge there.
    I think I took the wrong name off the Willow Creek Map It should be Daisy Hovel

Here is the gallery link....I just uploaded again in case there was a problem

https://thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/29D81ECC917711E78F544AD0040C86D9
    revisedsig2.png

• PaigeottoPaigeotto Posts: 127 Member
    @Cbear13 Thanks for the feedback! The first challenge bathroom I did end up moving the towels a while back, but I thought it'd be silly to re-upload everything just for that. As for my second entry, totally right about the fence on top of the patio. Will definitely change that as well as the plants. I can't wait to upload the final part to this challenge. This is one of my favorite builds :D
    1f4bGKv.jpg
    Origin ID: Paigeotto
    Challenge/Part no: 2, part 3
    Lot name and town that you built on: Civic Cliffs
    Would you like feedback: Of course
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/A8E2B35E918F11E785F54AD0040C86D9
    Pictures: j6XmK4b.pngZOhfb35.pngiIUqkzd.png

More Pictures:
    vKfDHNn.pngHxyPRDz.pngPUYXp0e.pngpGTdyfM.png5HebTJ6.pngDPEZQsE.pngUao9svC.pngAvOvb8m.png89zPjQa.pngJIIXpsf.pngqPRSd51.png

Story:
    Mariah Fontaine is the daughter of Felix Fontaine and Serene Fontaine, whom are both now deceased. The Fontaine's were Newcrest's safety net; the Chief of Police and Head Detective respectively. On a stormy night 17 years ago, one false tip left Mariah orphaned at the age of 7. Bouncing from foster home to foster home and seeing her fair share of brutality, she made a vow to never have anything to do with the organization that took her parents away from her. The day she turned 18 she received the life insurance check from her parents awful demise. Depressed, but determined, she cashed the check, purchased land and built the house of her dreams. She was finally ready to put the past behind her and become a star any way she could. Now at the age of 24, life is starting to go her way. However, life has a funny way of bringing the past to the present.

*I tried changing the roofing and the windows, but bulldozing and placing still caused issues with the lights/windows. I really have no idea how to fix it. If you happen to know, that would be awesome!
    1f4bGKv.jpg
    edited September 2017
    @kimartist feedback for Challenge 1, parts 2 & 3
    Practice Challenge 2 & 3

Review of part 1
    Just going over some of the things I found in the last review
    I found the rocks, forest fern and blue hydrangea flowers are still sticking into the granite falls small pine tree trunk. Also the low lying palm plant on the right side front is sticking into the tree trunk of the quaking aspen tree. To check be in play mode near the tree and press the TAB key on your keyboard this will make the tree appear when you zoom in close as they disappear when you zoom in at normal mode.

Ch1%20p1%201_1.jpg

Next was around the pond the garden lights were sticking into plants and rocks, I still did find a few that were sticking into objects.
    The first pic shows the garden light sticking into the "Lupin" flowers and in the second pic the "lovely lavender bush" is sticking into the garden light. Also in the second pick you can still see the white lily of the valley flowers sticking up through solid rock.

Ch1%20p1%202.jpg

A tip with the pathing again to clean it up a bit make sure nothing is blocking it and its clear. I think instead of placing the seating on the path you could remove some of the plants behind it and put it against the house wall. Also moving the mail box off the path. (before and after pics below).

Ch1%20p1%203.jpg
    Ch1%20p1%204.jpg

Towards the front door next to the columns you can see some "Iris" flowers sticking through the fencing and also into the column.

Ch1%20p1%205.jpg

There is some more placement errors similar to the ones above around the garden. My advice is slow right down when doing landscaping and maybe try use a bit less flowers and objects until you get your placement better. Every error will lose you points so for the challenges you will need to be more careful that solid objects don't stick into other solid objects.

Challenge 1, Part 2: House Exterior and Roofing

1. Roofing is great all the pieces blend in well together and nice choice of color and trim.
    2. Great choice in exterior wall coverings you could of even pushed it and added a 3rd with a different color but it looks great
    3. The planter boxes are pretty addition to the front, you could have included some more around the sides of the house to decorate those walls a bit more

One thing that is big with judging is we always check night view with the exterior walls of the house all the way around and also the gardens. Lights also double as great decoration to exterior walls also. Here is before and after pics of adding some exterior lights and also I added more garden lights lining the path around the side of the house. Rear garden is very dark also and needed some lighting.

Ch1%20p1%206.jpg
    Ch1%20p1%207.jpg

4. Nice variety of windows they all go well together and with the house.

Part 3: Interior design

This challenge is all about decorating so we did ask not to change any walls as we wanted to see how you decorated certain areas, I noticed you changed the half wall separating the kitchen area. My advice is make sure you read the briefs properly you will lose points or make your entry not eligible if you miss something important.

I love the overall look of this interior its gorgeous, great colors and style. Love the variety in the wall coverings you chose adding patterned wall coverings with plain is great for a balanced look and nice contrast.

The only room that looks a bit out of place is the childs bedroom, you have chosen to go with whites and blacks through the house especially with flooring so try keep that flow. Adding the brown wood flooring in the child's bedroom doesnt flow with the flooring in the rest of the house a white or black wood would of flowed much better. Adding the color in other places with the walls for the childs bedroom is ok and in the furniture as long as every room has something to tie it in with the rest of the houses style and color scheme.

Ok so the challenge was about decorating and filling bare spots so we designed this house with some area that might be a little tough to fill and decorate with the space.
    One of these areas is the hall way, the rug is great but especially because you went with white, greys and blacks it really is lacking color and decoration. Plants are a wonderful decoration to add color in areas that need something. Here is some ideas for this space, because you had some touches of red around the house I added some more so that it flowed with other rooms (before and after pics below).

Ch1%20p3%201.jpg
    Ch1%20p3%202.jpg

Another bare area was along the half wall but you changed it from the original design. In saying that there is a bare spot in the kitchen as you enter on the left the corner is bare.
    Again some before and after pics below to show you the spaces filled and following on with touches of red. Becareful with placement especially with plants as I had to moo the barbers vase so leaves weren't sticking into the half wall

Ch1%20p3%203.jpg
    Ch1%20p3%204.jpg

All the other areas of the house are decorated beautifully and no other bare areas

As for placement through the house here is some I found

Careful with anything placed near curtains 99% of the time they stick in, I found the desk sticking into the curtains on both sides

Ch1%20p3%205.jpg

I also found the bedside table in the master bedroom sticking into the curtain.

I found a bit of magic going on in your house with a floating bottle and a floating glass. When raising objects or using moo make sure to check from every angle

Ch1%20p3%206.jpg

In the kids bedroom I thought the standing lamp was oddly placed in front of the door, even though it didn't block access my sim actually walked through it to enter.

Ch1%20p3%207.jpg

Overall though I love how the house turned out, the placement errors inside werent to bad. It looks beautiful inside and out.
    Slow down with your landscaping, don't try pack so much into it especially while trying to get your placement right.
    Remember when you think you have finished zoom out and check each room for bare spots. Also always sim test and double check for placement errors.
    Oh and dont forget your night view for the exterior and garden :)
    Hope this helps
    @Paigeotto feedback for Challenge 2, part 3.
    Fontaine feel

Note: make sure you include the town name of lot (you think I would remember where all the lots are by names by now lol)

Review of part 2
    Not much to review on except for the lattice fencing, you have covered up the white sticking through so now it looks great.
    The balconies look great, lovely decorations and love the bar and bubble machine for some activities on the 2nd floor balcony.

Part 3: Interior design
    Oh what a beautiful interior style and color scheme
    Ok for the challenge requirements:

1. In the kitchen we would like to see a creative counter island, decorate it so it doesn't look like a plain round island. We are looking for out of the box designs that are still functional.

So i love the round design attached to the straight counters looking through into the living room with a creative design using half walls and ninety degrees items. One part that you did miss with this is to decorate it as it does look a bit plain and round.
    Now I have a tip when making round counters you cant center decoration on them unless you moo them up and then there is a chance they could drop. There is a way to get them to snap into a default spot in the center by hiding another counter in the center. Just make sure to play test all the surrounding counters after doing so and placing your decoration. (pics below)

Ch2%20p3%201.jpg
    Ch2%20p3%202.jpg

This next pic just shows the counter I placed in the center of the circular island to see how I centered the fruit bowl.

Ch2%20p3%203.jpg

2. Create your own shelving and use bb.moveobjects to put items onto the shelving. We would like to see this in the kitchen and any of the other rooms.

Great corner shelving and lots of great decorations on them, this house really feels lived in with all the clutter and decorations around.

One issue I did find was make sure not to place things to high on the walls as when in play mode you can see them sticking into the ceiling. I would of loved to see some more shelving around the house in different rooms but you have done a fantastic job decorating.

Ch2%20p3%204.jpg

One thing personally I try to avoid is placing stairs over a window, I think it just looks strange and the stairs will always stick into the window. I also found the curtains were sticking through the stairs.

Ch2%20p3%205.jpg

Gorgeous house inside and out wow Im impressed, I think at the moment your most suited to the experienced level in the competitions you have some great creativity with design, great skills in decorating and using clutter and great design skills.

Fantastic house and effort I hope this helped

Fantastic efforts guys I hope that the feedback is helping everyone.

I think I am all up to date here now so back to the judging side over on the other comps haha my work here is never done lol. I wouldnt do it if I didn't love seeing what you guys create.
    @Cbear13 Thank you for the review. Landscaping drives me nuts because the trees disappear when you get close to double check placement. Is there a way to stop that from happening? That way there might not be as many placement errors.

As far as lighting, I guess I'm trying to keep it to realistic. I would never probably ever see a house with that many lights on the side. I'll improve on that. I just finished a house tonight that I'm sure doesn't have enough lights. Same with the solar lights by the flowers. My solar lights have flower leaves laying next to them at my house, guess it is time to stop building and go out and weed/trim my flower beds.. hehe.

I really appreciate all the decorating tips for inside the house. I just hate using plants because you have to go through all of them till you find one that fits correctly.

I love learning new things, so this is fun and just makes me laugh! Thanks again @Cbear13, I really do appreciate and learn from it :)

revisedsig2.png

@kimartist best tip I can give you in terms of the trees disappearing (and columns do this to) is always build with a sim living on the property. I always do this so I can test things as I'm building.
    In sim play mode zoom in to the tree (it will disappear) and then press the TAB button on your keyboard and the tree will appear. You can check this at different angles to see if something sticking into it or to columns and then go back to build mode to adjust.
    It is a bit fiddly as you have to keep swapping between modes.

In terms of lighting think of it this way its not unrealistic to have lights all around the house that is the choice of the home owner, they arent sticking into anything to make them unrealistic. These builds are for people to download and play with in game and we do play sims at night time. I know several times my sim ran out of time during the day to go tend to the garden and does it at night but its all dark so having a well lit house and garden is good for sims to do activities outside.

Another reason is it gives such a beautiful view of your build at night, you can upload your builds to the gallery at night time to get a magical night time picture and if its all lit up they normally look amazing.
    Also I find that exteriors can be quite boring with decorations and some side walls of houses can just look plain and bland, exterior lights double as fantastic decorations.
    You don't have to put them on for normal building but my advice is to help you improve in the qc competitions so some things maybe exaggerated. For the qc comps we judge night view so if your house and garden is dark all around you will lose some points.

All my feedback is from the view of a qc entry and since day one our main priority has been quality hence the name, so many times I would download builds and find so many horrible placement errors and so many items that I couldn't use and for me who is a bit of a perfectionist (ok some would say im a major perfectionist lol) this really bugged me hence why I started the comps.
    So while I love creativity and seeing all the amazing things people build I really wanted people to put a lot of effort into making things look right and be playable for anyone.

I don't expect perfection I am sure you would find errors in my builds (if you find any let me know so I can fix them lol) so we try not get the microscope out to see if a tip of a leaf is sticking in a wall. But if its obviously sticking in then we critique it.

Keep it up it takes practice and I am still learning new things everyday from you guys, I think we are or were the only competitions to really pick apart builds and rooms for quality so it is a bit different from others.
    Oh and my real garden looks nothing like my sims gardens I really need to get out there and fix it up as its looking quite sad with all the weeks lol
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    You need to level up to level 7 in gardening, so you can snap your fingers, or whatever Sims do, and fix it all up at once...lol :)!
    4kkjdXo.png

My partner is a commercial landscaper I need to snap my fingers and tell him to fix our garden haha
    Thank you @Cbear13 I really do appreciate everything. I am a person who strives for perfect and love love love a challenge. I actually can't wait to start another challenge.
    revisedsig2.png

You should do that @Cbear13...lol :p!
    4kkjdXo.png

@Cbear13 Thank you so much for the kind words! I was really torn by the window by the stairs because it just looked so good! Normally I don't ever place the windows there. The counter tip is genius! I kept getting so frustrated not being able to center anything lol, so thank you so much for that! My secret obsession is that 90 degree item. You can do SO much with it! I really really look forward to entering more challenges and growing in skill. From now on I'll enter as experienced. So much appreciation for all that you do <3
    1f4bGKv.jpg
  • chips46chips46 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Wow what a huge Siggy @Pebblycat and thank you very much for a down size Siggy so do you want some more work I'll put this in my signature space good way to advertise QC practice 3 :D
    Hi @Cbear13, I have finished Part 1 of Challenge 2. It was fun to do. Can't wait to move on to the second part.

ENTRY FORM
    Challenge/Part no: Challenge 2 Part 1
    Lot name and town that you built on: Willow Creek - Riverside Roost (This time it is, I promise)
    Would you like feedback (must supply gallery link if yes): yes
    Gallery Title: Luxury Life Challenge 2-1
    Gallery Link: Gallery Link

I did have to add some doors and outdoor steps to plan my landscaping properly.
    Fully play tested

09_08_17_10_41_30_AM.png
    09_08_17_10_41_49_AM.png
    09_08_17_10_42_11_AM.png
    09_08_17_10_42_25_AM.png
    revisedsig2.png

ENTRY FORM
    Challenge/Part no: Challenge 2 Part 2
    Lot name and town that you built on: Willow Creek - Riverside Roost (This time it is, I promise)
    Gallery Title: Luxury Life Challenge 2-2
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/603E0336958111E78410B648982A623C

I did have to add some doors and outdoor steps to plan my landscaping properly.
    Fully play tested

09_09_17_12_58_41_PM.png
    09_09_17_12_58_52_PM.png
    revisedsig2.png

edited September 2017
    Thank you very much @Cbear13 for your feedback about my practice 4 part 1 and @Pebblycat for your feedback for practice challenge 3 and the siggy :D! Yesterday morning, I woke up with Tennis Elbow, so, I can't really type well today --- and unfortunately, I can't build in challenges right now because of it. I will start again as soon as I can. I'm typing with my right hand only now.
    Post edited by coolsim9999999 on
    4kkjdXo.png

edited September 2017
    ENTRY FORM
    Challenge/Part no: Challenge 2 Part 3
    Gallery Title: Luxury Life Challenge 2-3
    Gallery Link:Gallery

Paint by Reference are by me.
    Fully play tested Everything works as it is suppose to.
    I also did plan on the "Folly of Lady Chloris" and the "Triumphal Arch" to intersect on both sidesl
    Can sit on sofa, even in the corner, but looks funny.
    The posts on the back deck area, don't sit completely on the decking. I tried everything to move them and it wouldn't let me place them on the deck completely. I don't know how to fix that.

09_10_17_1_42_55_PM.png

09_10_17_2_49_05_PM.png
    09_10_17_3_02_21_PM.png
    09_10_17_3_02_59_PM.png
    Post edited by kimartist on
    revisedsig2.png

@kimartist I havent missed the entries sorry should of posted I am just busy judging away to get ahead on the challenges before I get up to date here :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top