Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changes to minimum requirements for Cats & Dogs expansion pack

Comments

• MarcelinaMarcelina Posts: 167 Member

I don't live in the UK unfortunately. The price is basically set and I'm aiming to reach 800+ euro to afford all of this unless I can manage to find a cheaper alternative. For now, I think I'll just stick to that goal and see what comes up in the following months. :)
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Baenre wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 Thanks so much for bringing this up and helping. I've been weighing whether or not to get the EP but what my laptop can manage or not, might make that decision for me. (?)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12186MB RAM
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Chip type: GeForce 940M
    Display: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.020Hz)

Your very welcome

Its under recommended requirements to run this whole game. None of us know how powerful this new ep is going to make the game only that it will up the game.

Your processor is a dual core and the game requires quad core on desktop so you do really need a more powerful quad core on laptop. This game is processor heavy

The 940m card is a lower end yet dedicated card. You video card can not game at higher resolutions like 1080p

You might be OK. If you decide to go for it, some suggestions on how to reduce stress should your game start to lag

You can lower your game resolution in launcher options, you can tick off laptop mode, you can lower your game settings and play in windowed mode. You can try one of these or a combination of these but all will take stress off your laptop. You would have to play with the settings to see what works best for you

Own a laptop cooler if you don't own one. Gaming uses a lot more power and can generate heat. Heat can to damage to any computer with out proper cooling.
    Marcelina wrote: »

I don't live in the UK unfortunately. The price is basically set and I'm aiming to reach 800+ euro to afford all of this unless I can manage to find a cheaper alternative. For now, I think I'll just stick to that goal and see what comes up in the following months. :)

OH well what country are you in? We would have to look there for a computer.Prices vary in different countries. UK and US are usually cheaper than other places for the hardware they give you
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    @phoebebebe13 Thanks so much for bringing this up and helping. I've been weighing whether or not to get the EP but what my laptop can manage or not, might make that decision for me. (?)

Your very welcome

Its under recommended requirements to run this whole game. None of us know how powerful this new ep is going to make the game only that it will up the game.

Your processor is a dual core and the game requires quad core on desktop so you do really need a more powerful quad core on laptop. This game is processor heavy

The 940m card is a lower end yet dedicated card. You video card can not game at higher resolutions like 1080p

You might be OK. If you decide to go for it, some suggestions on how to reduce stress should your game start to lag

You can lower your game resolution in launcher options, you can tick off laptop mode, you can lower your game settings and play in windowed mode. You can try one of these or a combination of these but all will take stress off your laptop. You would have to play with the settings to see what works best for you

Own a laptop cooler if you don't own one. Gaming uses a lot more power and can generate heat. Heat can to damage to any computer with out proper cooling.

Thanks so much! I think I'm going to sit out Pets this iteration, unless later on down the line I get a stronger PC or something along those lines. I did invest in a cooler which made a huge difference for some of the work I do. Again thanks!

Your very welcome

Thanks so much! I think I'm going to sit out Pets this iteration, unless later on down the line I get a stronger PC or something along those lines. I did invest in a cooler which made a huge difference for some of the work I do. Again thanks!

Your very welcome. I have been advising people to wait until after the EP is out to see how powerful its going to be. We only know they upped the specs. I can only read computer specs and tell someone if they are below minimum, in between or meet recommended requirements. Your in between . Your higher than minimum but below recommended

OH well what country are you in? We would have to look there for a computer.Prices vary in different countries. UK and US are usually cheaper than other places for the hardware they give you

I live in Ireland and I have already been looking for gaming PCs around here but they all exceed €1,000. I shop at Amazon most of the times because I always get a great bargain.
    You can take a look at my options though.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/category/gaming-pcs/397.0.2
    https://www.custompc.ie/
    I haven't looked at the last website because I just found about it now. You can click into "Gaming PCs" and take a look at what they have to offer.

I live in Ireland and I have already been looking for gaming PCs around here but they all exceed €1,000. I shop at Amazon most of the times because I always get a great bargain.
    I haven't looked at the last website because I just found about it now. You can click into "Gaming PCs" and take a look at what they have to offer.

Forget PC world they are overpriced. You dont want Dell, HP etc off the shelf. They are very hard to upgrade if they can even be upgraded.

The custom PC place maybe fine. The thing is you have to ask when your ready to but. Hardware is always changing. Prices for computers can change too. Sometimes they have good sales etc.

Forget PC world they are overpriced. You dont want Dell, HP etc off the shelf. They are very hard to upgrade if they can even be upgraded.

The custom PC place maybe fine. The thing is you have to ask when your ready to but. Hardware is always changing. Prices for computers can change too. Sometimes they have good sales etc.

Understandable. I'll wait until I get the money then.
    Thank you so much for your help. Without this discussion, I would have probably gone off to buy a "not so good" gaming PC.

Understandable. I'll wait until I get the money then.
    Thank you so much for your help. Without this discussion, I would have probably gone off to buy a "not so good" gaming PC.

Your very welcome :)
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I was looking at the specs of an Accer PC that I saw at Walmart earlier today. It had a 4 gig RAM. And I was thinking so under power for Cats & Dogs. Because if I remember right, 8 gig RAM is needed to run Cats & Dogs with the base game installed.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited September 2017
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I was looking at the specs of an Accer PC that I saw at Walmart earlier today. It had a 4 gig RAM. And I was thinking so under power for Cats & Dogs. Because if I remember right, 8 gig RAM is needed to run Cats & Dogs with the base game installed.

No, it's "at least 4 GB RAM" given as the minimum. The game does, however, seem to run better in 64-bit if you have 6 to 8 GB RAM, based on reports here, all else being equal, and I would strongly advise at least 6 GB for this EP, since you won't be able to fall back to 32-bit.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited September 2017

No, it's "at least 4 GB RAM" given as the minimum. The game does, however, seem to run better in 64-bit if you have 6 to 8 GB RAM, based on reports here, all else being equal, and I would strongly advise at least 6 GB for this EP, since you won't be able to fall back to 32-bit.

@luthienrising you need to have at least 8gb computer ram. 4gb to run the game and you need more ram to run windows origin , processor and other programs. 6gb might be fine if someone has windows 7 but if you have windows 8 and 10 you need 8gb computer ram or more. This is for people who have dedicated video cards. If your computer is integrated video card processor chances are they will fall behind playing the game

PS I had put a whole explanation on the first page of your thread how 32 bit and 64 bit version of the game works and how ram gets used with the game
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited September 2017

@luthienrising you need to have at least 8gb computer ram. 4gb to run the game and you need more ram to run windows origin , processor and other programs. 6gb might be fine if someone has windows 7 but if you have windows 8 and 10 you need 8gb computer ram or more. This is for people who have dedicated video cards. If your computer is integrated video card processor chances are they will fall behind playing the game

PS I had put a whole explanation on the first page of your thread how 32 bit and 64 bit version of the game works and how ram gets used with the game

I thought we'd seen people with 6GB who were fine on 64-bit, but maybe they were all Windows 7? Anyway, I was noting the official minimum requirements (which are 4GB or up) vs. what we'd recommend here, which is higher.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited September 2017

I thought we'd seen people with 6GB who were fine on 64-bit, but maybe they were all Windows 7? Anyway, I was noting the official minimum requirements (which are 4GB or up) vs. what we'd recommend here, which is higher.

@luthienrising Windows 8 and 10 really need more ram. I am hoping Nick answers me. I wonder if they are getting rid of the 32 bit version of the game altogether. The 32 bit version of the game can only access 3.5 gb ram total for the whole game. Will people with lower end having 64 bit windows still be able to play the 32 bit version on all prior packs, eps and gps or will they not be able to run the game anymore at all if they cant run the 64 bit version of the game

The Accer that I saw has Windows 10 for an OS. But only has a 4 gig RAM. So you do not need an 8 gig Ram in order to run Windows 10. Otherwise the Accer that I saw would have had an 8 gig RAM in it. And it also was a 64 bit. But like I have said, you need 8 gigs to run both the base game and Cats & Dogs. I said 8 gigs to be on the safe side of things when it comes to running this game with all it's Packs installed.
    edited September 2017

The Accer that I saw has Windows 10 for an OS. But only has a 4 gig RAM. So you do not need an 8 gig Ram in order to run Windows 10. Otherwise the Accer that I saw would have had an 8 gig RAM in it. And it also was a 64 bit. But like I have said, you need 8 gigs to run both the base game and Cats & Dogs. I said 8 gigs to be on the safe side of things when it comes to running this game with all it's Packs installed.

No. You need 4gb just to run the game. You need EXTRA ram to run windows, origin , your processor and other programs while running the game at the same time. You need 8gb computer ram to run all that. If your computer only has 4 gb ram total you will no longer be able to run this game. You wont have enough ram for the game plus the other things you have to run

When they put out ram requirements for a game its for the game ONLY. You need extra ram to run every thing else

In general windows 8 and 10 will use more computer ram than windows 7

You can run windows 10 on 4gb ram computer you just wont be able to add the game to it.

No. You need 4gb just to run the game. You need EXTRA ram to run windows, origin , your processor and other programs while running the game at the same time. You need 8gb computer ram to run all that. If your computer only has 4 gb ram total you will no longer be able to run this game. You wont have enough ram for the game plus the other things you have to run

When they put out ram requirements for a game its for the game ONLY. You need extra ram to run every thing else

The game requirements at it's minimum is only 2 gig RAM. That's what it reads on the back of my game case as far as RAMs go. So you really don't even need 4 gigs of RAM to just run the base game. You just need 2 gigs to run the base game alone. If a player that has just the base game and C & D would probably be just fine with 6 gig RAM if they run the game on 32 bits instead of 64 bits.
    edited September 2017

The game requirements at it's minimum is only 2 gig RAM. That's what it reads on the back of my game case as far as RAMs go. So you really don't even need 4 gigs of RAM to just run the base game. You just need 2 gigs to run the base game alone. If a player that has just the base game and C & D would probably be just fine with 6 gig RAM if they run the game on 32 bits instead of 64 bits.

No. EA changed the specs for minimum requirements to 4gb ram. That is what this thread is about. They can change it whenever they want. Does not matter what is on your box. I'm sorry but what your posting is going to confuse people thinking they can run this game on 2gb computer ram. This game will not run on 2gb ram. I know. I have helped several people in tech who want to play on a tablet with 2 gb ram and the game wont run. It does not run well on 4gb computer ram total for many either.

If you play the 32 bit version of the game, the game can not aces more than 3.5 gb computer ram total. Because they upped the minimum ram to 4gb you cant play the 32 bit version of the game if it can only access 3.5 gb ram.

No. EA changed the specs for minimum requirements to 4gb ram. That is what this thread is about. They can change it whenever they want. Does not matter what is on your box. I'm sorry but what your posting is going to confuse people thinking they can run this game on 2gb computer ram. This game will not run on 2gb ram. I know. I have helped several people in tech who want to play on a tablet with 2 gb ram and the game wont run. It does not run well on 4gb computer ram total for many either.

If you play the 32 bit version of the game, the game can not aces more than 3.5 gb computer ram total. Because they upped the minimum ram to 4gb you cant play the 32 bit version of the game if it can only access 3.5 gb ram.
    Not with the base game, and Cats & Dogs installed they won't. They will need at least 4 gigs of RAM, like what was officially been stated.
    I'm sitting wondering what it is about the game that they have changed to make them raise the minimum requirements for it. They must have changed something otherwise there wouldn't be any need for the requirements change.

Not with the base game, and Cats & Dogs installed they won't. They will need at least 4 gigs of RAM, like what was officially been stated.
    I'm sitting wondering what it is about the game that they have changed to make them raise the minimum requirements for it. They must have changed something otherwise there wouldn't be any need for the requirements change.
    edited September 2017

We are trying to find out if ea will get rid of the 32 bit version of the game once they add cats and dogs. The Bottom line people want to survive this game they need to meet recommended requirements. Im sure this new ep will effect video card and processor too not just the ram.

The game is on loan from EA. You don't own it. You just pay to have the right to use it. They could take it away whenever they want. Change the specs etc.

The Mac version is only 64 bit. They don't have a 32 bit version. They issued the Mac version after PC

We are trying to find out if ea will get rid of the 32 bit version of the game once they add cats and dogs. The Bottom line people want to survive this game they need to meet recommended requirements. Im sure this new ep will effect video card and processor too not just the ram.

The game is on loan from EA. You don't own it. You just pay to have the right to use it. They could take it away whenever they want. Change the specs etc.
    That's pretty obvious since EA owns the copyrights to the game. In other words, they own the game.
    I have stated several times in the past that since EA owns the game. They can change any part of it including the end users agreement which is what we all get to read and adhere too before the use of the product. And not tell any one about the changes.
    Since I don't work for EA or Maxis, I can't say for certain if this is EA's attempt at ditching the 32 bit part of the game. We have to remember that this is EA that we are talking about. And they are not always clear about what their intention are on somethings. So this may or may not be an attempt to ditch the 32 bit part of the game.
    There is a third factor to consider here: This may be nothing at all except that they had did something in Cats & Dogs that had forced them to raise the minimum requirements causing some of us to over react just a bit. Which is perfectly normal, and understandable because we are treading new waters here. I remember back when they first released the requirements for the base game. Even back then some of us were a bit nervous over getting the base game to run on their PC's. The same can be said in this situation. We just need to relax, and wait until after Cats & Dogs comes out. And then see if the game will run or not. It is not the end of the world.
    edited September 2017

That's pretty obvious since EA owns the copyrights to the game. In other words, they own the game.
    I have stated several times in the past that since EA owns the game. They can change any part of it including the end users agreement which is what we all get to read and adhere too before the use of the product. And not tell any one about the changes.
    Since I don't work for EA or Maxis, I can't say for certain if this is EA's attempt at ditching the 32 bit part of the game. We have to remember that this is EA that we are talking about. And they are not always clear about what their intention are on somethings. So this may or may not be an attempt to ditch the 32 bit part of the game.
    There is a third factor to consider here: This may be nothing at all except that they had did something in Cats & Dogs that had forced them to raise the minimum requirements causing some of us to over react just a bit. Which is perfectly normal, and understandable because we are treading new waters here. I remember back when they first released the requirements for the base game. Even back then some of us were a bit nervous over getting the base game to run on their PC's. The same can be said in this situation. We just need to relax, and wait until after Cats & Dogs comes out. And then see if the game will run or not. It is not the end of the world.

It's not new waters they did this with the sims 3. Not the ram since the whole game is 32 bit but video card and processor requirements went up and up. Especially video card. This is why I expect the processor and video card for this new ep to be effected. Not just the ram

They even changed the base minimum before on TS4 when MS was no longer supporting XP or vista. Believe it or not we still get a few of those that have 10 year old computer trying to run the game and they cant.

The base game requirements they first put out for TS4 is ridiculous . Its night and day from minimum to recommended. They never should have put those base game requirements on the box. They did this to TS3 too.

They can get rid of the 32 bit. I don't know if they will for anything added to the game prior to cats and dogs. It would be the end of the world to some who are not paying attention to the requirement change and they find out they can no longer run the game at all. If they can't at least play the packs, Gs and EPs they are already "Renting" ,this forum would be in complete chaos. Poor EA customer service too etc.

edited September 2017

It's not new waters they did this with the sims 3. Not the ram since the whole game is 32 bit but video card and processor requirements went up and up. Especially video card. This is why I expect the processor and video card for this new ep to be effected. Not just the ram

They even changed the base minimum before on TS4 when MS was no longer supporting XP or vista. Believe it or not we still get a few of those that have 10 year old computer trying to run the game and they cant.

The base game requirements they first put out for TS4 is ridiculous . Its night and day from minimum to recommended. They never should have put those base game requirements on the box. They did this to TS3 too.

They can get rid of the 32 bit. I don't know if they will for anything added to the game prior to cats and dogs. It would be the end of the world to some who are not paying attention to the requirement change and they find out they can no longer run the game at all. If they can't at least play the packs, Gs and EPs they are already "Renting" ,this forum would be in complete chaos. Poor EA customer service too etc.
    It's not whether or not that they should or shouldn't put those minimum requirements specs on the back of the game case. They do so out of courtesy for the consumers. The consumer that picks up the game case may know what the specs of their PC is already when they go to look at those specs that on the back of the case. So rather than have the consumer buy the game, and take it home just to find out if it will run on their PC or not. It's best to put those minimum game requirements specs on the case so that the consumer will know right then if the game will or won't run on their PC.
    I'm fully aware that some of us might be trying to get this game to run on a PC that's either an XP or Vista. In my very first post on here, I had commented that I hope that no one is trying to run this game on a PC with an OS that's older than Windows 7 meaning that I'm fully aware of the possibility of this.
    What I meant by new waters was not that they had raised the requirements for the game. They have been doing that since S1. No, what I meant by that was that they have raisin the minimum requirements even higher. There has never been a minimum requirements of 4 gig RAMs on a Sims game before that I know. That's what I meant by new waters.
  • vronnie67vronnie67 Posts: 64 Member
    I can't wait until it is released! I am so excited!!! My computer is so very ready for it!