Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    Thought I'd drop this here. I'm looking for sims to use in a new project that I'm starting.

Wanted: Troubled Teens
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @mastressalita , @Pegasus143 , and I cowrote an article for a digital magazine about the connections between the Sims, SimLit, and gender expression and sexual identity: https://thequeerness.com/2017/08/31/digital-mirror-finding-ourselves-in-the-sims/

We had a lot of fun writing it, and I feel so honored that it was published! :)

I feel like it celebrates some of the things we appreciate most about The Sims!

Amazing article, that was a lovely read. It's not a topic I know a lot about, but something I've always been interested in.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Those are great points @Karilan :) There IS value to it. It's just hard not to feel discouraged sometimes.

I do have plans to turn my first simlit, Dust to Dust, into a novel. But I don't have time to do it unless I stop writing A2A. And I've put so much into it that I CAN'T stop at this point haha so right now my plan is to finish A2A (hopefully within 2-3 years?) and then retire from simlit and work on writing a novel :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Meggles wrote: »
    @CathyTea @Pegasus143 @mastressalita I SO enjoyed that post from you! Awesome job!

Thank you! We really had fun writing it! At one point, I was like--wait. Serious stuff is happening in these United States. WHAT are we doing writing about a game? But then when we wrote the intro and conclusion, all the pieces fit! So glad you enjoyed it! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Karilan wrote: »

I've only been back on the forums and writing for two months now, but I was thinking about this today. I admit I've become obsessed and have spent way too much time each week working on my stories, and that it will change at some point. I'm working on creating a balance so I don't burn out.

However, I would say it's not entirely pointless.
    1. I love the saying "time you've enjoyed wasting was not wasted at all." Even if it makes me no money, I like writing my stories, I love having readers, and I love discovering other people's stories. Stories whether they come as fan fiction, novels, movies, or games, are one of my biggest sources of joy in life.
    2. I do hope to shape my stories into something publishable one day. Although I find game-driven stories to have less depth, they do give me the opportunity to practice writing, and sometimes they present really incredible story ideas that I could develop further later. Pine Point is my first plot-driven SimLit, and depending on how it goes I wouldn't mind revising it one day to develop a proper novel. (And I love all of you who read for being my beta-readers!)
    3. I'm making friends. Sure, they may not fit the traditional description of a friend but some of you already know me, just through my writing, better than my co-workers do. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way, but writing is therapeutic, deeply personal, and wonderfully expressive.

Okay, I'm done. :#

I love your stories. Each morning, after breakfast, I've got about half-an-hour to an hour for reading SimLit, and your stories are usually in the mix! I look forward to them so much.

I find a lot of depth in your Living with Grace--it comes through the interpretation and the character development. Slice-of-life is one of my favorite genres--and slice-of-Sim-life is SO fun for me.

It's hard to measure worth--how do we measure the happiness and joy we get from reading? I love to think about the ways that our stories change us--as writers and readers--and then those changes accompany us through our days and pass on to all those that we interact with! It's a really neat thing.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    @CathyTea @Pegasus143 @mastressalita I SO enjoyed that post from you! Awesome job!

Thank you! We really had fun writing it! At one point, I was like--wait. Serious stuff is happening in these United States. WHAT are we doing writing about a game? But then when we wrote the intro and conclusion, all the pieces fit! So glad you enjoyed it! :)

BUT you and the others wrote about how the game choses the orentation which does relate to real life.

BUT you and the others wrote about how the game choses the orentation which does relate to real life.

Yes, and we also wrote about how we can use the game--and our stories--to help create and promote the types of world and cultures we want to recreate here in the physical world, so that felt very empowering. I feel that during challenging times, art is especially empowering and especially valuable--and I see Simming and SimLit as art.

edited September 2017
    Thought I'd drop this here. I'm looking for sims to use in a new project that I'm starting.

Oh! This is exciting! I think I'll see who I might be able to send your way!

@mastressalita , @Pegasus143 , and I cowrote an article for a digital magazine about the connections between the Sims, SimLit, and gender expression and sexual identity: https://thequeerness.com/2017/08/31/digital-mirror-finding-ourselves-in-the-sims/

Amazing article, that was a lovely read. It's not a topic I know a lot about, but something I've always been interested in.

Thanks so much, Karilan! :) (You can see now why I was thinking maybe Brooke was ace!)

That would be great! I'm really excited about this idea of including other people's sims. I get so frustrated with the gallery. I've barely started playing it and since it's on long there should be time for plenty of cameos. I did mention an elder doing yoga... thought you might know one. :D Your sims are always so in touch.

when i saw it i thought of rylan. i know he grew up with his mom but he didn't start off that way. he started by himself. but iwanted him and ayden to be the same but differnt. so i added beverly and alvin. and the sad story of how they came to live together.
    @friendsfan367 Hi! :p

@MadameLee Thanks for the sim! Do you have any idea why WordPress keeps making me approve your comments? It's weird because I usually only have to do it once for each person.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    @friendsfan367 Hi! :p

@MadameLee Thanks for the sim! Do you have any idea why WordPress keeps making me approve your comments? It's weird because I usually only have to do it once for each person.

nope-I only used word press for personal blogging (BTW I gave the sim the name Kdar because I was trying to write it the same name as someone who just got a settlement.) But I think I spelled it wrong..
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »
    nope-I only used word press for personal blogging (BTW I gave the sim the name Kdar because I was trying to write it the same name as someone who just got a settlement.) But I think I spelled it wrong..

It's spelled Kader on the gallery. Do I need to change it?

It's spelled Kader on the gallery. Do I need to change it?

well it's close enough-besides North America IS known to do mistakes like that w/ immigrants anyway my RL last name was originally presumably a long time ago "Priestly' but it got mangled at some point to (Elvis's last name).
    6adMCGP.gif
    I'm found a couple of interesting guys on OKCupid. One guy wants to ask me out and he's lives in Whitby. But there's an issue my parents don't know I'm on a dating site and you know how I have honourary Asian culture. What questions do you ask a person?
    6adMCGP.gif
    I'm found a couple of interesting guys on OKCupid. One guy wants to ask me out and he's lives in Whitby. But there's an issue my parents don't know I'm on a dating site and you know how I have honourary Asian culture. What questions do you ask a person?

things like what are your hobbies. family is a safe topic.
    Wanted to share something funny:

After a 6 hour session of screenshotting and editing for 3 different stories, I shut down my game to sleep and see this message on my Origin screen:
    "It's all going according to plan, Karilan."

Um, is Origin watching me? :D
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited September 2017
    @Karilan :D Ooh, ominous.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member

That's a great article! Congrats on getting it published! :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    edited September 2017
    Hey guys I want to know if any of you have been to a baseball game how does food come if you buy it at the stadium? (ie how do you carry it?) I only been once to a baseball game before and that time (due to the fact we were travelling w/ another group) I didn't need to buy food at all. This time I do--
    6adMCGP.gif
    Hey guys I want to know if any of you have been to a baseball game how does food come if you buy it at the stadium? (ie how do you carry it?) I only been once to a baseball game before and that time (due to the fact we were travelling w/ another group) I didn't need to buy food at all. This time I do--

I've only been once, we got hot dogs in little cardboard trays that fit around the hot dog. Carrying 2 hot dogs and a drink was really difficult. People came around during the game with candy, donuts, and caramel popcorn for a hefty price.
    D2vFwMN.jpg

I've only been once, we got hot dogs in little cardboard trays that fit around the hot dog. Carrying 2 hot dogs and a drink was really difficult. People came around during the game with candy, donuts, and caramel popcorn for a hefty price.

stop making me hungry.its 4 :40 if i eat dinner now i'll be hungry when its bedtime. lol
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited September 2017
    @MadameLee : Food at the park is pretty expensive, but it is just like getting something at a theater, everything is designed to be taken and eaten at a stadium seat (I've had a burger and some tasty garlic fries before). Honestly to me the biggest pain is just carrying it to the seat through the crowds of people, and having to get up to let other folks into their seat when I'm in the middle of eating. Depending on the stadium, some actually have "food court" type areas where you can sit at tables and eat (I know SafeCo Field for the Mariners had a few areas like this) but of course, then you are further away from the action of the game, watching on monitors and such while you eat. One alternative is to get their early and use those areas to eat before the game if you don't want to worry about eating in stadium seats, eat right after the game, or just get the things really easy to have in stadium seats, like drinks (most stadiums have built-in cupholders), candies that you can stash in your purse, or a popcorn tub.

So I am going to have to make a very strong cup of tea this morning... I got very little sleep last night, as my cockatiel woke me up twice within the course of an hour. I heard screaching and thrashing from her cage, and was quite terrified; she's nineteen years old, and at her age, you sometimes wonder if you'll wake and not have your pet in the morning, especially hearing those kind of noises. It isn't the first time this has happened during the night, but the first it has happened so close together. I did a little searching and discovered that cockatiels are prone to night terrors; if something scares them at night, because of their poor vision in the dark, they will go into a panic and the flight-or-fight response kicks in (which for a bird is, "Fly away!") and then smash into their cage bars, items in their cage, etc. and start flapping their wings wildly in their cage in a panic, which can cause injury. So it apparently isn't strange, but is something that can be dangerous. Poor old bird. T_T
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
    @mastressalita getting there early isn't an option since I have to travel w/ the day program on the commuter train since they've the train and the Jays tickets. I just was trying to find out how you carry (food)items up since with my low motor skill it might be a bit difficult for me.But buy is a better alternative for me then me trying to bring something from home.
    6adMCGP.gif