Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changes to minimum requirements for Cats & Dogs expansion pack

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Marcelina wrote: »
    BabySquare wrote: »
    At least if you're below minimum requirements, you know what you've got isn't enough,
    and if you're above recommended requirements, you know what you've got is enough.

The problem seems to be the grey area in between, where you're above the minimum but below the recommended.
    I'm in the grey area; everything for me is above minimum but my graphics are below recommended, yet at the same time this game's processor-heavy.

Sorry there isn't really a point to conclude on. There was when I stated writing but I've forgotten what it was.

True, it gets a bit puzzling. I'm in the grey area for the base game but everything has been going well ever since I bought the Sims so I think I am good to go. It's also pretty impressive since my laptop is over 2-3 years old and it can run the game at 65-90 FPS on medium settings. I guess that is straining my laptop a bit so I tend to put some settings on low just to keep it stable.
    Are these specs good enough to run the expansion pack?
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz.
    RAM: 8.00GB
    Video graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000

---

I'll be upgrading to a PC next year and the specs will be:

Processor: Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.5GHz CPU
    Video graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 2GB
    Does this fall above recommended or minimum?

Thanks!

With the laptop , it's under requirements and you may have issues running this ep.

With the desktop you need a better processor, Intel i5 , AMD FX 8000 series, or a ryzen 1600 . The video card and ram are fine.

Ah plum, that's disappointing news. Guess I'll just have to stick to watching LP's lol. Thanks.

Your laptop is integrated video card processor. It's not designed for gaming. It may give you issues. If you are planning on buying the pack to play on a different computer later on at least you won't have wasted your money should you want to try it. . If it does not work you can play it later on. We don't know how powerful this new ep is gong to be. We are worried we are going to get allot of tech issues for computers that don't meet requirements. People who are under requirements should hold off buying to see what kinds of issues this EP will bring.

Your welcome

Yeah, unfortunately, it isn't. I wasn't really expecting much because I've had numerous problems with Sims 3 Pets on this laptop too. At least I can run Sims 4 and it isn't really straining my laptop as it reaches over minimum requirements. I think I'll either buy the EP and see if it runs on this laptop okay-ish and if it doesn't then I will wait until I get a PC that meets the requirements and then I will play from there on. Or I'm also considering on buying the EP later on after the release and hope that it will go on sale so I can get a good bargain. Still really excited about this though!

I can imagine. Sins 3 pets is Brutal! You need a good mid range gaming desktop to run it efficiently. Your laptop is actually below minimum. All PC games require desktop not laptop and laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. As long as your aware that you may have issues with this ep. I feel sorry for those who will go out and buy it, may find out they can't run it and they can't get a refund. People that can't afford to buy a new PC to run it.

Yeah, pretty sure that pets is the most demanding expansion pack apart from Island Paradise. I was really naive back then and I used to buy really demanding PC games to play it on the laptop. Was very disappointed to only see 5-15FPS on most of the games but I finally came to my senses. You're right, some people are still oblivious to the requirements and to the specs of their own PC so they think that the EP will run fine without any research. R.I.P

Pets is the most demanding ep.Then seasons, IP and ITF add them all and they become more of a monster to a PC

Many of us have been there before. None of us knew EA would up the specs on TS3 since 1 and 2 played on any computer.

That just reminds me of that one time when my friend had seasons, IP, ITF & another expansion pack I can't remember installed on her laptop (same laptop as mine rn) and she could run the game with no problem. She complained of lag every now and then and some FPS drops when her mermaid sim would swim in the water but overall she said the game was okay to run. I'm not sure what kind of magic she was using but I'm pretty sure if I tried to do that my laptop would surely explode. :D

once in a blue moon you will find a laptop that we call magic fairy dust. No two computers are the same You could have 10 computers same make and model and all may run the same game differently. On your laptop specs I'm sure her game was not pleasant or as good as she said. When you play TS3 on a computer that meets requirements, there is a big difference and you will see how the game should run. (leaving out EA bugs)
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

---

Thanks!

With the laptop , it's under requirements and you may have issues running this ep.

With the desktop you need a better processor, Intel i5 , AMD FX 8000 series, or a ryzen 1600 . The video card and ram are fine.

Ah plum, that's disappointing news. Guess I'll just have to stick to watching LP's lol. Thanks.

Your laptop is integrated video card processor. It's not designed for gaming. It may give you issues. If you are planning on buying the pack to play on a different computer later on at least you won't have wasted your money should you want to try it. . If it does not work you can play it later on. We don't know how powerful this new ep is gong to be. We are worried we are going to get allot of tech issues for computers that don't meet requirements. People who are under requirements should hold off buying to see what kinds of issues this EP will bring.

Your welcome

Yeah, unfortunately, it isn't. I wasn't really expecting much because I've had numerous problems with Sims 3 Pets on this laptop too. At least I can run Sims 4 and it isn't really straining my laptop as it reaches over minimum requirements. I think I'll either buy the EP and see if it runs on this laptop okay-ish and if it doesn't then I will wait until I get a PC that meets the requirements and then I will play from there on. Or I'm also considering on buying the EP later on after the release and hope that it will go on sale so I can get a good bargain. Still really excited about this though!

I can imagine. Sins 3 pets is Brutal! You need a good mid range gaming desktop to run it efficiently. Your laptop is actually below minimum. All PC games require desktop not laptop and laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. As long as your aware that you may have issues with this ep. I feel sorry for those who will go out and buy it, may find out they can't run it and they can't get a refund. People that can't afford to buy a new PC to run it.

I would have thought mine was below requirements for TS3 pets and according to this site it's not:
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=7782&canMyGpuRunIt=The Sims 4
    Really surprised me.

Your laptop is below requirements to run pets. You should not read some of these websites. You will have issues running TS3 pets on an 630m card.

That's a bit odd because I've played sims 3 pets and didn't have any issues.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    edited September 2017

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

I would have thought mine was below requirements for TS3 pets and according to this site it's not:
    Really surprised me.

Your laptop is below requirements to run pets. You should not read some of these websites. You will have issues running TS3 pets on an 630m card.

That's surprising. Did you have all the eps installed or did you only have pets installed and nothing else? These are desktop cards that tell you which cards can run the eps the 630 desktop has maybe for pets( yours is laptop so it's weaker ) http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

• BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Really surprised me.

That's surprising. Did you have all the eps installed or did you only have pets installed and nothing else? These are desktop cards that tell you which cards can run the eps the 630 desktop has maybe for pets( yours is laptop so it's weaker ) http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

I had most of the EPs and SPs installed, about two thirds of the total numbers of each I'd say.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • MarcelinaMarcelina Posts: 167 Member
    At least if you're below minimum requirements, you know what you've got isn't enough,
    and if you're above recommended requirements, you know what you've got is enough.

The problem seems to be the grey area in between, where you're above the minimum but below the recommended.
    I'm in the grey area; everything for me is above minimum but my graphics are below recommended, yet at the same time this game's processor-heavy.

Sorry there isn't really a point to conclude on. There was when I stated writing but I've forgotten what it was.

True, it gets a bit puzzling. I'm in the grey area for the base game but everything has been going well ever since I bought the Sims so I think I am good to go. It's also pretty impressive since my laptop is over 2-3 years old and it can run the game at 65-90 FPS on medium settings. I guess that is straining my laptop a bit so I tend to put some settings on low just to keep it stable.

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Yeah, pretty sure that pets is the most demanding expansion pack apart from Island Paradise. I was really naive back then and I used to buy really demanding PC games to play it on the laptop. Was very disappointed to only see 5-15FPS on most of the games but I finally came to my senses. You're right, some people are still oblivious to the requirements and to the specs of their own PC so they think that the EP will run fine without any research. R.I.P

Pets is the most demanding ep.Then seasons, IP and ITF add them all and they become more of a monster to a PC

Many of us have been there before. None of us knew EA would up the specs on TS3 since 1 and 2 played on any computer.

That just reminds me of that one time when my friend had seasons, IP, ITF & another expansion pack I can't remember installed on her laptop (same laptop as mine rn) and she could run the game with no problem. She complained of lag every now and then and some FPS drops when her mermaid sim would swim in the water but overall she said the game was okay to run. I'm not sure what kind of magic she was using but I'm pretty sure if I tried to do that my laptop would surely explode. :D

once in a blue moon you will find a laptop that we call magic fairy dust. No two computers are the same You could have 10 computers same make and model and all may run the same game differently. On your laptop specs I'm sure her game was not pleasant or as good as she said. When you play TS3 on a computer that meets requirements, there is a big difference and you will see how the game should run. (leaving out EA bugs)

Ohhhh okay. Do you have any recommendations for a good gaming PC? I've been looking a lot recently but I'm not really good at picking out specs that are manageable for gaming so I'm a bit lost. My budget is around €300-€580.
    edited September 2017

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Ohhhh okay. Do you have any recommendations for a good gaming PC? I've been looking a lot recently but I'm not really good at picking out specs that are manageable for gaming so I'm a bit lost. My budget is around €300-€580.

That is a tight budget especially if you need a monitor. 800 pounds if you need it with a monitor. Just putting windows in a computer ups the price by $100 ( whatever that translates into pounds) If you have a flat screen TV you can hook up a tower to it with an HDMI cord and not get a monitor if you don't already have one. You may have to also up your budget a bit just for the tower . Your processor and video card all need to meet requirements. I'm finding cheaper but something in the computer won't meet requirements.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fierce-APACHE-PC-Desktop-Computer/dp/B072FVCM3V/ref=sr_1_11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1504442254&sr=1-11&keywords=fierce+pc+1050+windows+10

EDIT to add. Fierce has good reviews. They also give you a 3 year warranty.

Still looking Fresh Tech also has good reviews and I will see what I can come up with there

In general Amazon is probably the cheapest prices you will find in the UK for Pcs that meet requirements

This is a little cheaper but has a lower video card than the computer I posted above It still meets requirements for the sims games. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freshtech-H110M-S2H-Motherboard-Performance-Certified/dp/B01C8QDB9K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504443530&sr=8-2&keywords=freshtech+pc+1050+windows+10

@Marcelina was it you that stated you wanted to play GTA V? If yes you would need the first computer. You need to have a 4gb vram card for GTA V

It would be worth it to get the computer with the better video card regardless.
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Really surprised me.

I had most of the EPs and SPs installed, about two thirds of the total numbers of each I'd say.

You got lucky. With the card you have people usually struggle. It also may have helped if your resolution is under 1080p . On a weaker card it needs to game at a lower resolution

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

That is a tight budget especially if you need a monitor. 800 pounds if you need it with a monitor. Just putting windows in a computer ups the price by $100 ( whatever that translates into pounds) If you have a flat screen TV you can hook up a tower to it with an HDMI cord and not get a monitor if you don't already have one. You may have to also up your budget a bit just for the tower . Your processor and video card all need to meet requirements. I'm finding cheaper but something in the computer won't meet requirements.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fierce-APACHE-PC-Desktop-Computer/dp/B072FVCM3V/ref=sr_1_11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1504442254&sr=1-11&keywords=fierce+pc+1050+windows+10

Oh, that's pretty costly. Even more costly when I transfer the pounds to euro and then include the shipping costs. I was thinking something along these lines. Monitors are cheap where I live so I will have no problem buying one.
    How about these?
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XyWkNN
    https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/DMdnTW/entry-level-amd-gaming-build
    edited September 2017

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Oh, that's pretty costly. Even more costly when I transfer the pounds to euro and then include the shipping costs. I was thinking something along these lines. Monitors are cheap where I live so I will have no problem buying one.
    How about these?

I can read specs but if your building yourself you need to ask @chesterbigbird . You can send her a PM . She does not always get the pages in the forum. She is a computer build expert and knows ever piece of hardware there is.

I think that ryzen processor might be too low. They recommend 1600

do you know how to build? If you don't making a mistake can be costly. Building a gaming computer is different than building a regular PC

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

I can read specs but if your building yourself you need to ask @chesterbigbird . You can send her a PM . She does not always get the pages in the forum. She is a computer build expert and knows ever piece of hardware there is.

do you know how to build? If you don't making a mistake can be costly. Building a gaming computer is different than building a regular PC

Thanks, I'll message her and ask for some help.
    I don't know how to build my own PC but my brother offered to help me. He built his own gaming PC a year ago I believe and he is overall a big specs, hardware, and computer enthusiast so I'm sure I can rely on him to build it for me.

I've heard that building your own gaming PC saves you a lot of money and that's why I'm leaning towards that option. At first, I was looking at gaming laptops but they are /waaay/ over my budget.
    Also, how about these specs:

RAM: 8GB
    Video graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
    Processor: Intel Core i7 4720HQ

@Marcelina You also need to add a good cpu cooler and you still have to add windows 10 in the build.
    edited September 2017

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

I don't know how to build my own PC but my brother offered to help me. He built his own gaming PC a year ago I believe and he is overall a big specs, hardware, and computer enthusiast so I'm sure I can rely on him to build it for me.

I've heard that building your own gaming PC saves you a lot of money and that's why I'm leaning towards that option. At first, I was looking at gaming laptops but they are /waaay/ over my budget.

That has older hardware. They don't make 900 series cards anymore. The GTX 950 m has ddr 3 vram and not good for gaming at higher resolutions. The card is below recommended. I would not advise buying older hardware in a laptop. If they no longer make the hardware (which they don't) and your hardware goes bad your laptop becomes a throw away and your back to buying a new computer.

PS your missing a cpu cooler and windows from your build. Your still looking at more money to build. Your better off saving and just buying a built pc.

This has better specs than what your trying to build and probably come out cheaper https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fierce-APACHE-PC-Desktop-Computer/dp/B072FVCM3V/ref=sr_1_11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1504442254&sr=1-11&keywords=fierce+pc+1050+windows+10
    @Marcelina If you build yourself your hardware may only have 1 year warranty. Fierce is giving 3 year warranty on the whole PC so again it would probably come out cheaper to buy off the shelf .

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

That has older hardware. They don't make 900 series cards anymore. The GTX 950 m has ddr 3 vram and not good for gaming at higher resolutions. The card is below recommended. I would not advise buying older hardware in a laptop. If they no longer make the hardware (which they don't) and your hardware goes bad your laptop becomes a throw away and your back to buying a new computer.

PS your missing a cpu cooler and windows from your build. Your still looking at more money to build. Your better off saving and just buying a built pc.

This has better specs than what your trying to build and probably come out cheaper https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fierce-APACHE-PC-Desktop-Computer/dp/B072FVCM3V/ref=sr_1_11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1504442254&sr=1-11&keywords=fierce+pc+1050+windows+10

Yeah, I just realized I was missing a CPU cooler. Anyways, I contacted Chesterbigbird so I'll see where that goes from here.
    If you don't mind me asking, what specs does your gaming PC have? And for how much did you buy it for?
    edited September 2017

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

Yeah, I just realized I was missing a CPU cooler. Anyways, I contacted Chesterbigbird so I'll see where that goes from here.
    If you don't mind me asking, what specs does your gaming PC have? And for how much did you buy it for?

Not just the CPU cooler. You need to add wiindows and that will also up the price

I have a custom build that was over $1000. I have all certified gold hardware (which costs more) and an over the top mobo $200 + because I wanted wifi built in ( chester yelled at me for this LOL) My computer is now over 2 years old. It will need an upgrade maybe next year. I have two hard drives in my computer and one id ssd. I have an EVGA GTX 960 supercclock 4gb card. I have a 4000 series intel haswell I5 that can be overclocked. 16 gb ram. Gold certified hardware costs more. Anything you add extra hard drive especially ssd costs more etc. More ram costs more.

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

Not just the CPU cooler. You need to add wiindows and that will also up the price

I have a custom build that was over $1000. I have all certified gold hardware (which costs more) and an over the top mobo $200 + because I wanted wifi built in ( chester yelled at me for this LOL) My computer is now over 2 years old. It will need an upgrade maybe next year. I have two hard drives in my computer and one id ssd. I have an EVGA GTX 960 supercclock 4gb card. I have a 4000 series intel haswell I5 that can be overclocked. 16 gb ram. Gold certified hardware costs more. Anything you add extra hard drive especially ssd costs more etc. More ram costs more.

OH god.. that's impressive! Hahahah that is a lot of money... and so does your computer basically run any game on high/ultra settings smoothly? Games like GTA V, Battlefeld 1, The Witcher 3 etc?
    If only.. if only I could invest in that :D
    edited September 2017

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

OH god.. that's impressive! Hahahah that is a lot of money... and so does your computer basically run any game on high/ultra settings smoothly? Games like GTA V, Battlefeld 1, The Witcher 3 etc?

No. I would need a better video card for the witcher 3. It will run the witcher on high no mods. It will run GTA V on ultra with no mods. It will get fps drops if your close to an explosion. With GTA V you have to have a 4gb card. It uses more vram. My card has 4gb which is what saves me. Never played battlefield. My computer plays all the sims games on ultra with mods, cc etc. The sims is not as powerful as the other games you mention.

If you intend on playing more powerful games save up. You will need better PC specs than I have

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

No. I would need a better video card for the witcher 3. It will run the witcher on high no mods. It will run GTA V on ultra with no mods. It will get fps drops if your close to an explosion. With GTA V you have to have a 4gb card. It uses more vram. My card has 4gb which is what saves me. Never played battlefield. My computer plays all the sims games on ultra with mods, cc etc. The sims is not as powerful as the other games you mention.

If you intend on playing more powerful games save up. You will need better PC specs than I have

Oh, right. Luckily, I'm not really interested in playing more powerful games because I know that would cost me a fortune. I prefer to play games like Witcher, Battlefield etc on the PS4 because it's handier. The only goal I am aiming to achieve is to be able to play GTA V on medium settings at least. I don't want to expect way too much because I know it would take me more than 2 years to get more than 700+ euro as I can only get a job in the summer because I'm a student.

Either way, I plan on selling this laptop to one of my friends once I'm really close to reaching my goal. I should have started saving up earlier but I didn't take it seriously whereas now I am. It's gonna be a long journey :D
    edited September 2017

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

Oh, right. Luckily, I'm not really interested in playing more powerful games because I know that would cost me a fortune. I prefer to play games like Witcher, Battlefield etc on the PS4 because it's handier. The only goal I am aiming to achieve is to be able to play GTA V on medium settings at least. I don't want to expect way too much because I know it would take me more than 2 years to get more than 700+ euro as I can only get a job in the summer because I'm a student.

Either way, I plan on selling this laptop to one of my friends once I'm really close to reaching my goal. I should have started saving up earlier but I didn't take it seriously whereas now I am. It's gonna be a long journey :D

That Fierce PC I gave you should run GTA V and the witcher. Not on ultra but it can run the games. That fierce PC has a 4gb card which is what will save you. You will be able to run the sims games on ultra.

You need a 4gb vram card for GTA V

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

That Fierce PC I gave you should run GTA V and the witcher. Not on ultra but it can run the games. That fierce PC has a 4gb card which is what will save you. You will be able to run the sims games on ultra.

It'll cost me €760.03 with the shipping. I guess it's not so bad. And including the monitor, that'll total to €800+. Yikes! Thanks for all the help though, appreciate it! :)

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

It'll cost me €760.03 with the shipping. I guess it's not so bad. And including the monitor, that'll total to €800+. Yikes! Thanks for all the help though, appreciate it! :)

Do you have a flat screen TV that is 1080p resolution or less ? As I explained you can save money and hook the tower up to a TV with an HDMI cord and use the TV as a monitor. I do this. I don't have room for a monitor.

Your wlecome

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

Do you have a flat screen TV that is 1080p resolution or less ? As I explained you can save money and hook the tower up to a TV with an HDMI cord and use the TV as a monitor. I do this. I don't have room for a monitor.

Your wlecome

Well, I do but I'm unable to use it as it is being used by another family member. :/ So I'll have to resort back to buying a monitor.

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

How about these?

Your wlecome

Well, I do but I'm unable to use it as it is being used by another family member. :/ So I'll have to resort back to buying a monitor.

Then you are definitely looking at around 800 pounds for a whole set up
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    @phoebebebe13 Thanks so much for bringing this up and helping. I've been weighing whether or not to get the EP but what my laptop can manage or not, might make that decision for me. (?)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12186MB RAM
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Chip type: GeForce 940M
    Display: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.020Hz)