Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changes to minimum requirements for Cats & Dogs expansion pack

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @GalacticGal XP and 7 are easy. I could have had 7 put in my custom desktop when it was built but was afraid MS would stop supporting it so I got 8. I can't remember if 10 was not available when I got my PC or it just became available. I downloaded a program to my PC and tablet to stop the forced windows 10 update. MS stated no one was going to be forced. All of a sudden I turned on my computer and it stated preparing to update to windows 10. I was furious. They we being sneaky and put an update in there no one knew about. This is why I will not let MS give me any forced updates. The time frame for updating to windows 10 for free is over. I just needed to get over that hump. I saw somethings on line that windows 10 may be the last windows. Tech may move on to something else.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I wonder what the system specs are of the computers the devs use to create the game.

Higher ones than many of us have I suspect ;)
    I too suspect that the devs are using a much more powerful PC than any of us has that they create this game. If you consider how long that it takes for them to find and fix the bugs that they don't see right away when they go to play to clean things up in the game. That suggests that they are using more powerful PC than any of us has.

they may not be testing the game enough or they don't see it on their computers. Allot of people are playing on low end computers. They will feel the bug effects more. Then you may have people with more high end computers playing in a higher resolution than their video card can handle. That could create problems for those people. Windows 10 is also a problem , one drive was giving the game issues. Windows creator update was giving the game issues. Windows 10 takes allot to run so someone with only 8gb ram could have issues trying to run the game, origin windows 10 and other programs. Windows 10 can have memory leaks. Then you have origin and I wonder if that could be causing more game bugs or problems. When they are crating these eps, pack, patches I wonder if their computers are tied into origin when they do testing before release. ? Origin causes many EA games issues not just the sims .
    That's what I was saying, the people playing on lower end PC's are likely see the effects of the bugs a lot more than people playing on the higher end PC's. I'm playing on the lower end of higher PC which is likely the reason why that I don't experience a lot of the bugs that other people are reporting.
    What OS doesn't have it's problems?
    My PC was a Windows 7, but now it's a Windows 10, and I'm still not having a lot of issues with the game. Getting it to run or otherwise. Occasionally I will have some gameplay issues, but it's mostly game related and system related. I know this because I generally find a work around. You can't do that with most system related issues, unless you change the system so that it meets system requirements.

Windows 10 more so because it is constantly updating. I have windows 8 where I am able to pick and choose and stop updates if I want to

Low end computers with the power of windows 10 and then the game on top of it is not a good combination.

We have had people with high end having issues. Some of the can only run the game in 32 bit mode when they have more than enough ram and 64 bit windows. Some can only play in windowed mode with a high end card. We have seen allot of this . It effects some people and not others. Games can be funny and like some hardware better than others. There are many people in here that might tell you the sims 3 runs much better for them than sims 4 and visa versa. These are people that have computers that meet requirements. The sims 3 runs great on both my laptop and desktop ( leaving out EA bugs) . I played without any mods for years. I only added mods to stop all the spawning of pets and horses when unchecking animals in the launcher was not working for me.

I personally deplore windows 8; may I ask, how do you find it coping with the kinda split personality of the OS, with both the desktop mode and the live tiles?

I don't like windows 8 however 10 is worse. I do not like forced updates on my computer at all. If I could have windows 7 I would but they stopped supporting part of it. . Even talking with microsoft tech, XP was the most stable OS . I would love to go back to XP :p

When you say forced updates, does that force people to update then and there, or can they still delay it by a few hours? I ask becaause I'll probably end up on win.10 within the next two years; I wouldn't want to be in the middle of writing a uni paper or mid-sims and be forced to restart my pc half way through.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    All I can say, is nobody forces me to do anything. I was a tad curious about Windows 10, but I had specifically sought a gaming rig with Windows 7 and am very content. I had little to no trouble transitioning from Windows XP to 7. Now, my new laptop, which is where my writing and genealogy will be done for the most part, is Windows 10, which my hubby swears by. Me? I'm still scratching my head. I'm having a very hard time sorting things out, to the point I got so frustrated I'm almost cried. It's a bit easier, now, since my hubby made short-cuts for the programs I use the most. But, still, I'm used to being able to do stuff on my own. I fully expect to outlive him (as most non-working women do) and I need to know I can still be self-sufficient. I am so grateful the ruptured aneurysm didn't leave me disabled.

@phoebebebe13 , my Windows 7 still updates. Everyday I shut down and leave the monitor on to see if it's updating, then shut it off and let it do its thing. So, some part of it is supported.

I too am on win.7 -the extended support for win.7 ends of the 20th January 2020, which is why we're still getting updates.
    I wonder what the system specs are of the computers the devs use to create the game.

I too suspect that the devs are using a much more powerful PC than any of us has that they create this game. If you consider how long that it takes for them to find and fix the bugs that they don't see right away when they go to play to clean things up in the game. That suggests that they are using more powerful PC than any of us has.

they may not be testing the game enough or they don't see it on their computers. Allot of people are playing on low end computers. They will feel the bug effects more. Then you may have people with more high end computers playing in a higher resolution than their video card can handle. That could create problems for those people. Windows 10 is also a problem , one drive was giving the game issues. Windows creator update was giving the game issues. Windows 10 takes allot to run so someone with only 8gb ram could have issues trying to run the game, origin windows 10 and other programs. Windows 10 can have memory leaks. Then you have origin and I wonder if that could be causing more game bugs or problems. When they are crating these eps, pack, patches I wonder if their computers are tied into origin when they do testing before release. ? Origin causes many EA games issues not just the sims .
    That's what I was saying, the people playing on lower end PC's are likely see the effects of the bugs a lot more than people playing on the higher end PC's. I'm playing on the lower end of higher PC which is likely the reason why that I don't experience a lot of the bugs that other people are reporting.
    My PC was a Windows 7, but now it's a Windows 10, and I'm still not having a lot of issues with the game. Getting it to run or otherwise. Occasionally I will have some gameplay issues, but it's mostly game related and system related. I know this because I generally find a work around. You can't do that with most system related issues, unless you change the system so that it meets system requirements.

Windows 10 more so because it is constantly updating. I have windows 8 where I am able to pick and choose and stop updates if I want to

Low end computers with the power of windows 10 and then the game on top of it is not a good combination.

We have had people with high end having issues. Some of the can only run the game in 32 bit mode when they have more than enough ram and 64 bit windows. Some can only play in windowed mode with a high end card. We have seen allot of this . It effects some people and not others. Games can be funny and like some hardware better than others. There are many people in here that might tell you the sims 3 runs much better for them than sims 4 and visa versa. These are people that have computers that meet requirements. The sims 3 runs great on both my laptop and desktop ( leaving out EA bugs) . I played without any mods for years. I only added mods to stop all the spawning of pets and horses when unchecking animals in the launcher was not working for me.

I personally deplore windows 8; may I ask, how do you find it coping with the kinda split personality of the OS, with both the desktop mode and the live tiles?

I don't like windows 8 however 10 is worse. I do not like forced updates on my computer at all. If I could have windows 7 I would but they stopped supporting part of it. . Even talking with microsoft tech, XP was the most stable OS . I would love to go back to XP :p

When you say forced updates, does that force people to update then and there, or can they still delay it by a few hours? I ask becaause I'll probably end up on win.10 within the next two years; I wouldn't want to be in the middle of writing a uni paper or mid-sims and be forced to restart my pc half way through.

The forced updates came when they were giving 10 away for free. At that time I could delay the update for two hours. It gave me enough time to download a program to stop the forced update. You now have to pay for windows 10 so they should not force you. The free download is no longer available
    All I can say, is nobody forces me to do anything. I was a tad curious about Windows 10, but I had specifically sought a gaming rig with Windows 7 and am very content. I had little to no trouble transitioning from Windows XP to 7. Now, my new laptop, which is where my writing and genealogy will be done for the most part, is Windows 10, which my hubby swears by. Me? I'm still scratching my head. I'm having a very hard time sorting things out, to the point I got so frustrated I'm almost cried. It's a bit easier, now, since my hubby made short-cuts for the programs I use the most. But, still, I'm used to being able to do stuff on my own. I fully expect to outlive him (as most non-working women do) and I need to know I can still be self-sufficient. I am so grateful the ruptured aneurysm didn't leave me disabled.

@phoebebebe13 , my Windows 7 still updates. Everyday I shut down and leave the monitor on to see if it's updating, then shut it off and let it do its thing. So, some part of it is supported.

I too am on win.7 -the extended support for win.7 ends of the 20th January 2020, which is why we're still getting updates.

I believe they stopped some support for windows 7 just not all of it

Yeah they stopped the main support, or whatever it's called, but not the extended support yet.

The forced updates came when they were giving 10 away for free. At that time I could delay the update for two hours. It gave me enough time to download a program to stop the forced update. You now have to pay for windows 10 so they should not force you. The free download is no longer available

I see. For the most part I don't mind such updates, so long as; a) they don't break my computer and b) I'm not forced to stop what I'm doing and let it update IMMEDIATELY.

Yeah they stopped the main support, or whatever it's called, but not the extended support yet.

I know that's why I chose windows 8 when I did my custom desktop. I don't like windows 10. My son has windows 10 and I hate using it. It will be a big jump for you going from 7 to 10
  • MarcelinaMarcelina Posts: 167 Member
    Are these specs good enough to run the expansion pack?
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz.
    RAM: 8.00GB
    Video graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000

---

I'll be upgrading to a PC next year and the specs will be:

Processor: Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.5GHz CPU
    Video graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 2GB
    Does this fall above recommended or minimum?

Thanks!

Marcelina wrote: »

---

Thanks!

With the laptop , it's under requirements and you may have issues running this ep.

With the desktop you need a better processor, Intel i5 , AMD FX 8000 series, or a ryzen 1600 . The video card and ram are fine.

---

Thanks!

With the laptop , it's under requirements and you may have issues running this ep.

With the desktop you need a better processor, Intel i5 , AMD FX 8000 series, or a ryzen 1600 . The video card and ram are fine.

Ah 🐸🐸🐸🐸, that's disappointing news. Guess I'll just have to stick to watching LP's lol. Thanks.
    edited September 2017

---

Thanks!

Ah plum, that's disappointing news. Guess I'll just have to stick to watching LP's lol. Thanks.

Your laptop is integrated video card processor. It's not designed for gaming. It may give you issues. If you are planning on buying the pack to play on a different computer later on at least you won't have wasted your money should you want to try it. . If it does not work you can play it later on. We don't know how powerful this new ep is gong to be. We are worried we are going to get allot of tech issues for computers that don't meet requirements. People who are under requirements should hold off buying to see what kinds of issues this EP will bring.

Your welcome

---

Thanks!

Ah plum, that's disappointing news. Guess I'll just have to stick to watching LP's lol. Thanks.

Your laptop is integrated video card processor. It's not designed for gaming. It may give you issues. If you are planning on buying the pack to play on a different computer later on at least you won't have wasted your money should you want to try it. . If it does not work you can play it later on. We don't know how powerful this new ep is gong to be. We are worried we are going to get allot of tech issues for computers that don't meet requirements. People who are under requirements should hold off buying to see what kinds of issues this EP will bring.

Your welcome

Yeah, unfortunately, it isn't. I wasn't really expecting much because I've had numerous problems with Sims 3 Pets on this laptop too. At least I can run Sims 4 and it isn't really straining my laptop as it reaches over minimum requirements. I think I'll either buy the EP and see if it runs on this laptop okay-ish and if it doesn't then I will wait until I get a PC that meets the requirements and then I will play from there on. Or I'm also considering on buying the EP later on after the release and hope that it will go on sale so I can get a good bargain. Still really excited about this though!
    At least if you're below minimum requirements, you know what you've got isn't enough,
    and if you're above recommended requirements, you know what you've got is enough.

The problem seems to be the grey area in between, where you're above the minimum but below the recommended.
    I'm in the grey area; everything for me is above minimum but my graphics are below recommended, yet at the same time this game's processor-heavy.

Sorry there isn't really a point to conclude on. There was when I stated writing but I've forgotten what it was.

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Yeah, unfortunately, it isn't. I wasn't really expecting much because I've had numerous problems with Sims 3 Pets on this laptop too. At least I can run Sims 4 and it isn't really straining my laptop as it reaches over minimum requirements. I think I'll either buy the EP and see if it runs on this laptop okay-ish and if it doesn't then I will wait until I get a PC that meets the requirements and then I will play from there on. Or I'm also considering on buying the EP later on after the release and hope that it will go on sale so I can get a good bargain. Still really excited about this though!

I can imagine. Sins 3 pets is Brutal! You need a good mid range gaming desktop to run it efficiently. Your laptop is actually below minimum. All PC games require desktop not laptop and laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. As long as your aware that you may have issues with this ep. I feel sorry for those who will go out and buy it, may find out they can't run it and they can't get a refund. People that can't afford to buy a new PC to run it.
    edited September 2017
    At least if you're below minimum requirements, you know what you've got isn't enough,
    and if you're above recommended requirements, you know what you've got is enough.

The problem seems to be the grey area in between, where you're above the minimum but below the recommended.
    I'm in the grey area; everything for me is above minimum but my graphics are below recommended, yet at the same time this game's processor-heavy.

Sorry there isn't really a point to conclude on. There was when I stated writing but I've forgotten what it was.

True, it gets a bit puzzling. I'm in the grey area for the base game but everything has been going well ever since I bought the Sims so I think I am good to go. It's also pretty impressive since my laptop is over 2-3 years old and it can run the game at 65-90 FPS on medium settings. I guess that is straining my laptop a bit so I tend to put some settings on low just to keep it stable.

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

I can imagine. Sins 3 pets is Brutal! You need a good mid range gaming desktop to run it efficiently. Your laptop is actually below minimum. All PC games require desktop not laptop and laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. As long as your aware that you may have issues with this ep. I feel sorry for those who will go out and buy it, may find out they can't run it and they can't get a refund. People that can't afford to buy a new PC to run it.

Yeah, pretty sure that pets is the most demanding expansion pack apart from Island Paradise. I was really naive back then and I used to buy really demanding PC games to play it on the laptop. Was very disappointed to only see 5-15FPS on most of the games but I finally came to my senses. You're right, some people are still oblivious to the requirements and to the specs of their own PC so they think that the EP will run fine without any research. R.I.P

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

I would have thought mine was below requirements for TS3 pets and according to this site it's not:
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=7782&canMyGpuRunIt=The Sims 4
    Really surprised me.

True, it gets a bit puzzling. I'm in the grey area for the base game but everything has been going well ever since I bought the Sims so I think I am good to go. It's also pretty impressive since my laptop is over 2-3 years old and it can run the game at 65-90 FPS on medium settings. I guess that is straining my laptop a bit so I tend to put some settings on low just to keep it stable.

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Yeah, pretty sure that pets is the most demanding expansion pack apart from Island Paradise. I was really naive back then and I used to buy really demanding PC games to play it on the laptop. Was very disappointed to only see 5-15FPS on most of the games but I finally came to my senses. You're right, some people are still oblivious to the requirements and to the specs of their own PC so they think that the EP will run fine without any research. R.I.P

Yeah, I know what you mean. From a temperature POV I've felt a lot better since getting a cooling pad; OK my laptop's workload hasn't been lifted but it's great to know my components aren't overheating!

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

I would have thought mine was below requirements for TS3 pets and according to this site it's not:
    Really surprised me.

Have you tried "Can you RUN it" by System requirements lab? You should try that and I've also been using "game-debate" because I wanted to pick a PC that would be able to play demanding games like GTA V etc.

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Really surprised me.

Have you tried "Can you RUN it" by System requirements lab? You should try that and I've also been using "game-debate" because I wanted to pick a PC that would be able to play demanding games like GTA V etc.

Dont ever use can you run it. They are not accurate. Especially for the sims. It does not calculate game add ons. If your buying a PC and you want to play certain games come into tech and ask since we know how to read computer specs and know what hardware you need to run certain games..
    edited September 2017

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Really surprised me.

Your laptop is below requirements to run pets. You should not read some of these websites. You will have issues running TS3 pets on an 630m card.
    edited September 2017

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Pets is the most demanding ep.Then seasons, IP and ITF add them all and they become more of a monster to a PC

Many of us have been there before. None of us knew EA would up the specs on TS3 since 1 and 2 played on any computer.

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Really surprised me.

Dont ever use can you run it. They are not accurate. Especially for the sims. It does not calculate game add ons. If your buying a PC and you want to play certain games come into tech and ask since we know how to read computer specs and know what hardware you need to run certain games..

Oh? That's a bit shocking as I have been using that website for over a year now. :/
    Sure, I'll check out tech but do you know any websites that give accurate information regarding specs & requirements?

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Pets is the most demanding ep.Then seasons, IP and ITF add them all and they become more of a monster to a PC

Many of us have been there before. None of us knew EA would up the specs on TS3 since 1 and 2 played on any computer.

That just reminds me of that one time when my friend had seasons, IP, ITF & another expansion pack I can't remember installed on her laptop (same laptop as mine rn) and she could run the game with no problem. She complained of lag every now and then and some FPS drops when her mermaid sim would swim in the water but overall she said the game was okay to run. I'm not sure what kind of magic she was using but I'm pretty sure if I tried to do that my laptop would surely explode. :D

---

Thanks!

Your welcome

Really surprised me.

Oh? That's a bit shocking as I have been using that website for over a year now. :/
    Sure, I'll check out tech but do you know any websites that give accurate information regarding specs & requirements?

Yes the game requirements on the box or the ea web or steam etc. Steam gives the requirements. You have to know how to read them and know how to compare hardware. Its a learning process. Why I suggested coming into tech and asking. If you tell us all the games you want to play we can look at requirements and compare hardware. User chesterbigbird is a gaming desktop build expert. She heavy games. She can tell you in two seconds what hardware you will need.