Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• Options
    ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    @CathyTea thank you so much! I think you're pretty awesome, too! ;)

@Meggles Thank you! And thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check it out! It's so cool that they have a website for something like this.

@friendsfan367 Thank you so much! Her cards are always so pretty and thoughtful.

@Karilan That sounds like such a cool idea! I'll be looking forward to learning if you get any responses.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    ny275 wrote: »

@Meggles Thank you! And thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check it out! It's so cool that they have a website for something like this.

@friendsfan367 Thank you so much! Her cards are always so pretty and thoughtful.

@Karilan That sounds like such a cool idea! I'll be looking forward to learning if you get any responses.
    ny275 wrote: »

one of my s3 friends tried to show me how to do it. its harder than it looks so i gave up.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Has anyone every tried to installed updated RAM into a computer if yes how long does it take? Do you have to be w/o the computer for long? Do you need to save your games and other stuff on a USB?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Has anyone every tried to installed updated RAM into a computer if yes how long does it take? Do you have to be w/o the computer for long? Do you need to save your games and other stuff on a USB?

trip/green might be able to answer you shes in computer tech support. but i haven't seen here since last night.
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

To my knowledge it shouldn't affect any of your save games or files, as those are started on the hard drive. As for how much time it takes, I'm not sure on that.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    I see that you've already been answered @MadameLee over at the Writer's Lounge so I will only say that it's possible and not hard but you should never mess with the innards of your computer if you don't know what you're doing exactly. I've had so many people come to me with computers they bonked up themselves. :( (I'm tech support at my dormitory)

On other things, I've been bitten by the building bug lately and have been building all the houses and apartments. I usually hate it but for some reason now I like it. I'm not really good at floorplans, though. But for my legacy, it's enough haha.

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Hello everyone, all this talk about photo space got me wondering. How do you know how much space you have with WordPress?
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Hello everyone, all this talk about photo space got me wondering. How do you know how much space you have with WordPress?

it will start to tell you when you're running out of space that's what happened to w/ the Sims 3 legacy I tried to do back then.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    Also if you click on "Add New" (the little plus sign) where you can access your media library, on the upper right hand corner of your pop-up it gives you the percentage you've already used up there. Can't screenshot right now but you'll probably see it right away. @AdamsEve1231
  • Options
    I visited with family yesterday and it was a small group due to many people not being there. Apparently Uncle J found another cat at the flea market he owns-and it looks similar to another cat they found several years ago..actually one of the cats in the trailer (the grey cat w/ markings and the yellow collar) is what the grown-up cat looks like. We don't know how old the kitten is but it was quite small and for a large period of the get together I was a bit hesitant to pick up the kitten but after supper&Dessert I finally picked it up and Cousin Liz helped me turn the kitten around and he started to climb on me and it made me thing of Mom's story about me climbing on her like a "little monkey" and after petting it for awhile I put it back down on the floor.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I've been watching a lot of deligracy youtube videos lately and it got me wondering. Is there any simlit writer who actually makes a living from writing simlit? Ok maybe not a living but makes money from it? You see so many youtubers with lets plays and such who actually make money playing the sims ans doing what they love. It be cool to see that some sim writers see that success :)
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    swcheppes wrote: »
    I've been watching a lot of deligracy youtube videos lately and it got me wondering. Is there any simlit writer who actually makes a living from writing simlit? Ok maybe not a living but makes money from it? You see so many youtubers with lets plays and such who actually make money playing the sims ans doing what they love. It be cool to see that some sim writers see that success :)

The difference I'd see is potential reach. A Youtuber very likely appeals to a wider audience because it's easier to watch a video than it is to read a story. There is also a market for watching someone have fun playing a game, and watching a story unfold, while simlit really only attracts the latter.

I have heard of bloggers who make decent money because of ad revenue on their sites, but I would guess it wouldn't compare to a Youtuber. I've also seen people who use donations and go-fund-me's from fans in order to fund expansion pack purchases, which isn't a terrible idea.

I'd love to hear from any simlit writers who have attempted to support themselves on this!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    @swcheppes @Karilan I think I can monetize my blog now that I had to pay for the higher version but I find ads on websites much more annoying than I do on videos. Like when I watch YouTube I know it will start with some goofy ad that I ignore. The ads in the middle of videos do annoy me. But the websites that have ads all over the place drive me nuts. I monetized my book blog back in the day but didn't make anything off of it despite having pretty good traffic. I'm not sure if they have to click on those ads to make money or what? I've never looked into it.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @mastressalita , @Pegasus143 , and I cowrote an article for a digital magazine about the connections between the Sims, SimLit, and gender expression and sexual identity: https://thequeerness.com/2017/08/31/digital-mirror-finding-ourselves-in-the-sims/

We had a lot of fun writing it, and I feel so honored that it was published! :)

I feel like it celebrates some of the things we appreciate most about The Sims!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @CathyTea there's a feedback question on that thread
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    Ooo, it's up! How exciting!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    @mastressalita , @Pegasus143

As I told @CathyTea already, this was a very moving article. Great job guys. :)
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I did have a friend who was able to monetize her simlit blog with ads (a while ago, like in TS3-land) but it was for pennies.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited August 2017
    Ooh @swcheppes @Karilan @Rainydayz179 @InfraGreen You guys have brought up a topic that I've thought about a LOT.

SimLit has become almost like a third job to me (yes, I have two jobs haha). I spend so many hours every week writing and screenshotting and I've had more than one bad day where I sit there and think "I am making NO money off of this and I am 100% sure I put as much work into my chapters as Youtubers put into their videos. Why am I doing this?".

Or you have modders who use Patreon to get money from the people who use their mods as a way of making money off of it. Yet I know I'd be a villain in the simlit community if I ever asked my readers for money (And I never would! Not directly. YouTube-style revenue would be what I'd want).

It just gets me wondering why I don't instead put my time and energy into writing something that could be PUBLISHED someday and could actually make me money. I've come close to quitting SimLit because of those thoughts.

I think it's a huge injustice that Youtubers can make money off their hobby and have that incentive to keep going. I know money isn't everything. I know you're supposed to write for yourself, Blah blah haha But when you put hours and hours of blood, sweat, and tears into with NOTHING in return, it gets discouraging.

Literally just writing this post is putting me in a "I want to quit simlit" mood again, so I need to stop haha but my point has been made :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @CitizenErased14 actually it does tend on what (youtube) channel you-watch..like Matt Guion's channel a lot of work goes into it (about as much as we put into our Sims chapter)..actually this entire generation is tribute to Matt.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Ooh @swcheppes @Karilan @Rainydayz179 @InfraGreen You guys have brought up a topic that I've thought about a LOT.

SimLit has become almost like a third job to me (yes, I have two jobs haha). I spend so many hours every week writing and screenshotting and I've had more than one bad day where I sit there and think "I am making NO money off of this and I am 100% sure I put more work into my chapters than Youtubers put into their videos. Why am I doing this?".

Or you have modders who use Patreon to get money from the people who use their mods as a way of making money off of it. Yet I know I'd be a villain in the simlit community if I ever asked my readers for money (And I never would! Not directly. YouTube-style revenue would be what I'd want).

It just gets me wondering why I don't instead put my time and energy into writing something that could be PUBLISHED someday and could actually make me money. I've come close to quitting SimLit because of those thoughts.

I think it's a huge injustice that Youtubers can make money off their hobby and have that incentive to keep going. I know money isn't everything. I know you're supposed to write for yourself, Blah blah haha But when you put hours and hours of blood, sweat, and tears into with NOTHING in return, it gets discouraging.

Literally just writing this post is putting me in a "I want to quit simlit" mood again, so I need to stop haha but my point has been made :tongue:

in your case i bet sometimes their are actual tears. because you do get emotionally attached.

but i stopped picking on you because ayden made me get it.
  • Options
    @MadameLee maybe not more than, that was probably an exaggeration. But surely as much as. I edited my original comment to reflect this.
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    (On a much happier note, congrats to @CathyTea @Pegasus143 and @mastressalita :) )
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    @CathyTea @Pegasus143 @mastressalita I SO enjoyed that post from you! Awesome job!
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options

SimLit has become almost like a third job to me (yes, I have two jobs haha). I spend so many hours every week writing and screenshotting and I've had more than one bad day where I sit there and think "I am making NO money off of this and I am 100% sure I put as much work into my chapters as Youtubers put into their videos. Why am I doing this?".

I've only been back on the forums and writing for two months now, but I was thinking about this today. I admit I've become obsessed and have spent way too much time each week working on my stories, and that it will change at some point. I'm working on creating a balance so I don't burn out.

However, I would say it's not entirely pointless.
    1. I love the saying "time you've enjoyed wasting was not wasted at all." Even if it makes me no money, I like writing my stories, I love having readers, and I love discovering other people's stories. Stories whether they come as fan fiction, novels, movies, or games, are one of my biggest sources of joy in life.
    2. I do hope to shape my stories into something publishable one day. Although I find game-driven stories to have less depth, they do give me the opportunity to practice writing, and sometimes they present really incredible story ideas that I could develop further later. Pine Point is my first plot-driven SimLit, and depending on how it goes I wouldn't mind revising it one day to develop a proper novel. (And I love all of you who read for being my beta-readers!)
    3. I'm making friends. Sure, they may not fit the traditional description of a friend but some of you already know me, just through my writing, better than my co-workers do. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way, but writing is therapeutic, deeply personal, and wonderfully expressive.

Okay, I'm done. :#
    D2vFwMN.jpg