Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Houses: new furniture or bring old?

ReflectedLightReflectedLight Posts: 425 Member
If you move a household to a new house, how often when you buy a new house do you buy it empty and put your old house's furniture in it instead?

EDIT: Reason I ask: One time I brought my own furniture into my new home and found places for it, and it was an much different experience that felt more like moving in real life: same furniture, new pieces needed, but new environment. Give it a try if you haven't ever.
Post edited by ReflectedLight on

Comments

• littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    Not often. I usually only keep what is important (urns, paintings, etc) but leave everything else behind while moving.
    6riwm5.png
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Mine tend not to relocate - I've made enough work for myself in this game as it is.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I take the important stuff such as collectables, urns and a few other things liked that. Other then that I leave it all there because if a house don't have the basic needs for a household to move in, will sit empty.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I'll take anything custom like portraits and urns, and I'll bring upgraded items and completed collections if I remember, but other than that, everything else is brand new for the moving sims. I did bring everything over with my sims for the apartment challenge I was doing with one of my sims before, though. That was fun.
  • tinkerbell3552tinkerbell3552 Posts: 104 Member
    Almost never. Even if a buy a house empty, which I do often, I just sell my old furniture and start over with new stuff that I pick myself.
  • Meegie1977Meegie1977 Posts: 224 Member
    I always leave the furniture. It's frustrating when you have a sim buy a house then discover it's unfurnished! It takes me so long to decorate properly and if you weren't expecting to have to furnish it you may not have any money left!
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    a lot of the time I will only take collectables and certain decorations like when I have kids I'll take the backpacks like you would, if I just relocate a poor family I'll take everything.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,877 Member
    I have been taking nearly everything, except what you might find in an unfurnished house; the bathroom fixtures and kitchen stuff for example. But then I also rented the latest apartment furnished and sort of mixed old and new.

Side note: I would probably like if there was a way to send furniture with a Sim moving out. A YA's personal bedroom stuff for example.
  • Brieanna19Brieanna19 Posts: 307 Member
    It depends if my sims can afford their new house with out having to sell their furniture. Most of the time I'll keep a couple rooms- like living and bedrooms, along with paintings.

Most of the time I want t for my sims family to out grow their house before they shop for a new house
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I take everything but the kitchen cabinets, fixtures, like the toilet, bathtub, sink, Lights...
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    All urns, collectibles and anything my sims have created (rocketships, paintings etc.). Everything else will be sold away.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • WoolenhatWoolenhat Posts: 255 Member
    I take Everything!!!
  • DyrewitchDyrewitch Posts: 465 Member
    I try to remember to leave everything for the next family and use furniture that comes with the next house ( I have put gallery houses on all the empty lot) sometimes I do start off with a empty home and furnish it myself but not often. Besides I hate ending up with it all in my household inventory.. i tend to forget that is there lol
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    It depends on the quality of the furniture. If my sims have nice stuff and are just needing a larger home, I'll keep it. If my sims are just starting out, then I either sell it for money when upgrading to a slightly better home, or I keep it and sell it as I can afford.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    I have a tendency to build the houses my Sims live in. Sometimes, I do move with the furniture. Other times, I find myself getting the new build ready. I try to duplicate, in some cases, the furniture they already have. Other times, not so much. I guess it just depends on what mood I'm in. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited August 2017
    Pretty much everytime. I like to play as much realistic as I can. It is common in my country so... :)

Of course I don't bring kitchen counters and toilets and sinks and bathtubs and anything nonportable.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • mistwolf7mistwolf7 Posts: 78 Member
    I put things I can't just get from bb (event and career rewards, etc.), and really expensive or upgraded items in the household inventory and take them. I leave everything else because it's such a pain to go through the household inventory and delete all the lights and toilet paper rolls that get transferred over otherwise.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Not often. I usually only keep what is important (urns, paintings, etc) but leave everything else behind while moving.

This. Usually when I build a new home, its because I either don't like the layout or need more space, and more often than not i want them to have a new aesthetic. (Well, I want ME to have a new aesthetic to look at!) So they get all new everything and I only keep graves and photos and stuff like that they can't replace.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • AKLSimmerAKLSimmer Posts: 78 Member
    Most likely I will only take photos and paintings and other stuff that I can't replace. When they move out, I will usually have another family that moves in (since I am a rotational player), and I hate it when their furniture is gone. Then I'd have to refurnish their house or replace it.
  • AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I normally have my Sims live in a small bungalow to start off with, with old and useless items. Then I'll download a bigger house off the gallery and place that for them to move into with a family. I don't tend to bring anything because the items are such bad quality, but family photos and urns are a must!
  • DonnaSpartacusDonnaSpartacus Posts: 35 Member
    It pretty much depends on how much money my sims have...
    Sometimes they get new stuff and sometimes they have to do with what they already have
    That is especially fun to play when a new family moves out of their tiny flat into their first house!
    I just wish for the perfect Mycroftsim *sigh*
    mycroft_640.jpg
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I always bring everything. I tend to play big families so they can't afford to pay an extra hundred dollars per item.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I always move into fully furnished houses and only bring a few things over from the previous home. Personal stuff like: collectables, job reward items, completed school projects, art, fish and fish bowls, birth certificates, musical instruments, can come with.

I don't have urns, as I have a Church Wedding Venue with attached graveyard in my game, where all my sims can take their dearly departed shortly after their death and turn them into a tombstone with a nice epitaph.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I take items like career rewards, paintings that my Sim has painted, and the garden plants if they're a gardener. Everything else gets sold so it stays behind with the house, making it easier for me to move in a new family. Sometimes that means I have to replace the stove/refrigerator if one of my Sims maxed out Culinary career, or a new desk if I have the one from the Business career.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)