The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Affordable Family Housing Challenge!

Comments

• phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I made another huge starter!

Five Bedroom Starter
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/84FAF3A23FEB11E780D88C7B1FBDCF4D

5 Bed, 2 Bath
    Lot size: 30 x 20
    Gallery Price: §17,961
    Cost with lot price: §19,961

There aren't skill items yet, but there are five beds, two completed bathrooms, a completed kitchen, and some other comfort items. It's not only affordable, it's starter-affordable, and has plenty of room to grow into a dream home. This was hard to do, but I love a challenge!

[img]https://athena.thesims.com/v1/images/1/0x00000ada/84FAF3A2-3FEB-11E7-80D8-8C7B1FBDCF4D/00.jpg[/img]
    [img]https://athena.thesims.com/v1/images/1/0x00000ada/84FAF3A2-3FEB-11E7-80D8-8C7B1FBDCF4D/02.jpg[/img]
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,569 Member
    I made another huge starter!

Five Bedroom Starter
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/84FAF3A23FEB11E780D88C7B1FBDCF4D

5 Bed, 2 Bath
    Lot size: 30 x 20
    Gallery Price: §17,961
    Cost with lot price: §19,961

There aren't skill items yet, but there are five beds, two completed bathrooms, a completed kitchen, and some other comfort items. It's not only affordable, it's starter-affordable, and has plenty of room to grow into a dream home. This was hard to do, but I love a challenge!

00.jpg
    02.jpg

Five Bedroom Starter is a great family starter home! @phantasmkiss :) It is great that you have designed it to have five bedrooms! The floral plants along the front of the home looks very nice. Very nice layout of the build! It looks great how you have designed where the bedrooms are located. Nice windows corner nook sitting area in the living room. Sims will enjoy resting there with sunshine coming in through the windows onto them.
    The starter home is very nice! :)
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Thank you, @rosemow ! Your comments always make me happy. I like that you can imagine sims living in the house. :smile:
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • withlovejulienwithlovejulien Posts: 588 Member
    @phantasmkiss 5 bedrooms! The Sims will have plenty of money to buy their own hobby items! :)
  • Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    edited May 2017
    Wow, everyone has been sharing some awesome family homes!!

I just wanted to encourage everyone to share their new Parenthood made family homes they build with the new pack today. I cant wait to see how everyone uses the new objects! I know I will be revisiting all of my previous affordable family homes and giving them a Parenthood update. So stay tuned, because i will share them here! Happy Simming!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • commeuneplumecommeuneplume Posts: 1,494 Member

I was SO inspired by this thread! Here's my starter.

Classic Brick Starter: Download Link

Bed: 3
    Bath: 1
    Lot: 20x15
    Gallery price: $37,613
    Price with Lot: $39,613

I have a grandma/grandpa taking care of their twin grandchildren in-game. So sweet. This was a great challenge! I hope to start working on another soon!

06-03-17_1-54-12PM_zpsrnqstipd.jpg

06-03-17_2-00-59PM_zpsghwgwxqp.png

06-03-17_1-56-04PM_zpsdhudxfs6.png

06-03-17_1-59-40PM_zpskwz2dr7z.png
    Avid TS3/TS4 player, wannabe storyteller, novice builder.
    Looking forward to seeing you around!
  • BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    These look incredible!
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    @commeuneplume : Nice work! I like the assymetric gabling on the front porch; it's something I would never think of doing myself, but it looks great. (Of course, this means I'll think of it sometimes....) Exposed brick is a wonderful material, and I like that you've brought it into the kitchen/dining area as well. The shelving over the back counter of the kitchen is an excellent touch, and helps to give the wall some interest.

I've been building an affordable family home as well: Doncaster House, set in Windenburg's Old Quarter. I went to exactly 50,000 simoleons including the lot price.
    DH01.jpg
    DH02.jpg

More images below the spoiler tags below.

First storey:
    Layout:
    DH11.jpg

Interior shots:
    DH21.jpg
    DH22.jpg
    DH23.jpg

Second storey:
    Layout:
    DH12.jpg

Interior shots:
    DH31.jpg
    DH32.jpg
    DH33.jpg

Windenburg is interesting to build in because it's all paved, all over: that makes for a different feel from the natural environment you find elsewhere. It feels like you've absolutely got to have a wall enclosing your yard/garden now, or at least that's what it feels like to me.
    The Tudor style and exterior design of Doncaster House is very nice! @Xinqun :) Very nice outdoors areas for sims to enjoy cooking on the BBQ and eating the meals at the picnic table in the sunshine. Kids will have fun playing on the monkey bars and pirate ship. Nice corner gardening nook for the sims to enjoy growing plants in the gardening boxes. Very nice open playout and furnishing of the first storey level! It looks great how you have done the entrance to the kitchen and dining area. The brick texture of the walls looks nice. Very nice living room area for sims to enjoy sitting there reading a book, watching tv or listening to radio music through the gramophone. The blue colour scheme of master and the kids bedrooms looks very nice. Nice angled study desk nook in the master bedroom for sims to enjoy using the computer. The teddy and the animal chairs look cute in the kids bedrooms! The kids will enjoy sitting on the chair reading a book, have fun playing with the toys from the chest or enjoy doing experiments on the science table. Nice art nook corner for sims to enjoy doing artwork on the activity table. The starry and moon patterned floor rugs add a great look to the bedrooms.
    The home is very nice! :)

Classic Brick Starter is a very nice home! @commeuneplume :) I have posted about your build on your showcase thread.
  • commeuneplumecommeuneplume Posts: 1,494 Member
    Xinqun wrote: »
    @commeuneplume : Nice work! I like the assymetric gabling on the front porch; it's something I would never think of doing myself, but it looks great. (Of course, this means I'll think of it sometimes....) Exposed brick is a wonderful material, and I like that you've brought it into the kitchen/dining area as well. The shelving over the back counter of the kitchen is an excellent touch, and helps to give the wall some interest.

I've been building an affordable family home as well: Doncaster House, set in Windenburg's Old Quarter. I went to exactly 50,000 simoleons including the lot price.
    DH01.jpg
    DH02.jpg

Windenburg is interesting to build in because it's all paved, all over: that makes for a different feel from the natural environment you find elsewhere. It feels like you've absolutely got to have a wall enclosing your yard/garden now, or at least that's what it feels like to me.

@Xinqun Thank you for stopping by! Your Doncaster House is absolutely stunning! I'm working on a tudor myself, it's one of the more challenging styles that I face. Look forward to seeing more of your builds. Stop by any time!

Avid TS3/TS4 player, wannabe storyteller, novice builder.
    Looking forward to seeing you around!
    Thanks, @rosemow , @commeuneplume ! I'm really enjoying the half-timbered wall finishes.
    Here's one I just finished. The interior is drab and minimal but I hope that means whoever downloads it can put their personal stamp on it (and hang some curtains and art!): A 5 bed Victorian farmhouse with tree fort. The rooms are oversized which means the budget was tighter but it leaves plenty of room to grow with hobbies/skill items.

HTsjuml.png

The tree fort with game table and an activity kit from Parenthood:

Qwvw3EA.png

Plan view first floor:

vcJwPoi.png

Plan view 2nd floor:

MNbmLVn.png

Family room with TV, radio, chess. Plenty of room for game table, instrument, and/or easel

AtVO2ki.png

Living room with fireplace and lots of extra room

eGXMcIH.png

Dining room with room to add a bar

NJhuT2y.png

Study (yep--totally used a kid's bookshelf because it was 40 simoleons cheaper than the wall shelf)

VSPzwjG.png

Master bedroom

hplJMG0.png

The rest of the images

Some homes that fit the Affordable Family Housing challenge:

A couple of starters (<18.5K simoleons) with 3 and 4 bedrooms I posted about over in the Starter Home thread.

And this home which is base game only 4 beds under 40K. It includes a computer, chess, easel, grill, toddler items and is a furnished & upgraded version of the 4 bedroom starter posted on the starter homes thread. Gallery link

More images

fIqcNql.png

hFQfKvR.png

BA0x0aT.png

KLnzNqw.png

Uvjnd8j.png
  • masajomasajo Posts: 6,003 Member
    Fiddlesticks

This build uses basegame and City Living packs only and was meant to be a starter but alas the budget got a little out of hand! Fiddlesticks is an affordable family bungalow, being under 50K and comprises three bedrooms, one bathroom, open plan kitchen, living and dining areas. Outdoors there is a swimming pool, patio and sun terrace with bin storage from the side entrance :)

Download here
    More pics here

naL4avs.png

MVE4v4w.png

azkM8um.jpg

4iKdxWz.jpg

uzE2H1V.jpg
    Looks wonderful @masajo! The enlarged budget was put to good use!
  • masajomasajo Posts: 6,003 Member
    Many thanks @withlovejulien for your lovely words, very kind of you :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
    Gallery link: Brick House

bh01.jpg

The exterior form of this house--that idea of the wooden covered porch intersecting with a brick cube--comes from a set of plans I came across online once, months ago, while researching something else. I'm actually very fond of houses like this: unpretentious brick cubes with simple gabled or hipped roofs. They always look so solidly built and sturdy.

Here's how it looks from behind:
    bh02.jpg

Layouts and interior shots below the spoiler tag:
    Layouts:
    bh03.jpg
    bh04.jpg
    (Yeah, yeah, it's another green kid's room. I'm allowed every now and then.)

A view across the dining to the living area.
    bh05.jpg

The kitchen.
    bh06.jpg

The master bedroom. It's all very simple and unassuming....
    bh07.jpg
    The exterior design of the Brick House looks very nice! @Xinqun :) The brick wall texture gives a great look to the home! The roof covered front porch looks very nice! The bird bath is a nice touch in the front area, and the flowers look very pretty along the front of the home and bordering the backyard! Sims will enjoy painting on the easel or doing woodwork crafting in the outdoors air. Very nice layout and furnishing of the interior of the home. The open plan layout of the kitchen, dining and living room areas looks nice. Very nice sofa and armchairs sitting area! The yellow colour of the seating looks sunny! Sims will enjoy resting there having a chat whilst sunshine comes in through the windows. Very nice kitdhen nook. The brick wall texture looks nice. Sims will enjoy looking out through the kitchen windows whilst preparing meals. The red colour scheme of the master bedroom looks nice. It is nice that there is a study desk nook corner for sims to enjoy using the computer. It great that you have a green coloured kids bedroom! It is your special signature kids bedrooom colour! :)
    The home is very nice :)
    Thanks, @rosemow ! (My "special signature"? Oh dear.)
  • TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited July 2017
    Not really brand new uploads, but here are some starter houses that fit the bill

4B/2R Suburban Starter

Bedrooms: 4
    Bathrooms: 2
    Size: 30 x 20
    Price: 25,770

gtWcKPP.png
    RcBNdK6.png
    FlxytLa.png

Download Link

3B/1R Modern Starter

Bedrooms: 3
    Bathrooms: 1
    Size: 30 x 20
    Price: 21,514

fwe3dCK.png
    wODgRX1.png
    U7fUwkx.png

Download Link
    dgvibNQ.png
    The two starter homes are very nice ! @The_Dismal_Scientist :) Very nice exterior design of each of them! The layout of the interiors is very nice! I had posted about the first home on your showcase thread,and the modern design of the second home looks very stylishly nice! The raised flower beds look very pretty! The front area water fountain feature is very nice! Very nice colours of the exterior walls. The lights strips look very nice on the front exterior wall.
    They are very nice homes for sims to live in!
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    I gave this a shot, too! I love trying to stay under a budget when I build. Is that weird?

https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/3D0D6E446B6411E7837D291F6B257650?category=lots&amp;searchtype=item_name&amp;sortby=newest&amp;time=all&amp;searchquery=Potters splay&amp;max=50&amp;maxis=false

xyd0Ff8.jpg

XSukL1v.jpg

IeDK0Zp.jpg

3ZJdFOU.jpg

3ZSVfMX.jpg

64K8GBl.jpg

The bedrooms are decorated, too! I just didn't want to spam you with too many pictures. The whole lot is under $40,000, but with the lot price it'll probably go for a little higher than that. :blush: ehehe! Oops! But it fits around 5-7 sims comfortably.

Thanks for the awesome challenge Sweet_Italy! It's a lot of fun -and a great idea!
    edited July 2017
    The exterior design of your home is very nice! @keenow :) Very nice roofing and the blue colour of the exterior looks very nice! The lavender along the edges of the front porch looks pretty and homely! . Sims will enjoy eating meals at the picnic table on the back porch or have fun playing basketball. Very nice layout and furnishing of the interior! Very nice kitchen nook. The cabinets look nice how the are placed on the walls. The dining table looks nice near the staircase. Very nice sofa and armchairs sitting area in the living room. Sims will enjoy chatting there and reading a book. The patterned floor rug adds a very nice look to the room. The fireplace will keep the room warm. The scenic wall picture is calming. Nice upper level study nook. Sims will enjoy sitting at the desk table using the computer.
    It is a very nice home! :)
  • CyrvuxieCyrvuxie Posts: 1 New Member
    [ID: Cyrvuxie]. 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. Its around 41k, I tried to go under but I had to decorate a bit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top