Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 7 players who can't get Sims 1 to play again...solution!

Comments

• Lily5921Lily5921 Posts: 2 New Member
    urkadurka wrote: »
    I installed The Sims Deluxe Edition and the Vacation, Unleashed, and Makin Magic expansion packs on my laptop two nights ago. I received the error message about running it as an Administrator, so I uninstalled the Windows Update from the first post in the thread and everything worked fine. I was able to play and make Sims and a house and such. I needed to check something on the internet, so I hit the Windows key to bring up my desktop. After that I couldn't really click on anything, not even the start button, unless I brought the task manager up. I went back into the Sims and everything still worked fine.

Last night I started up The Sims again and received an error message that @kyomilinh posted in this thread: ''It has come to our attention that you have installed another Sims expansion pack after The Sims Makin Magic. For this to work properly, The Sims Makin Magic installer will now update your installation." I clicked OK and then it asked me if I wanted to uninstall. Assuming that it was only going to uninstall Makin Magic, I clicked OK, but it uninstalled all of the original Sims games.

I tried reinstalling only Deluxe Edition today, but when I run the game it crashes at the loading screen, as described by @Myabear . The game crashes, brings me back to my desktop, and says "The Sims Deluxe Edition has stopped working."

I installed any Windows Updates that needed to be installed, which reinstalled the security update that makes the game not work, so I uninstalled it, restarted, and hid it as recommended from this thread. I have tried running the game in multiple different compatibility modes, have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times, opened cmd and tried the command prompts for the security driver, etc. Nothing. Works. Any ideas? I'm so frustrated because everything worked before so I know that theoretically it should be working, but it's not.

I had the same problem!! I found a solution. I hope it will help you too :).

Within the compatibility you can chose something else than Win98... For me The XP pack3 worked... You can try the pack 2 or Win95 too.
    But most important the update of 09/2015 (KB3086255) isn't the only one you have to uninstall... The update KB2670838 is blockin too (09/2014). But be careful, that update is needed if you use Internet Explorer 10. I don't so it wasn't a problem...

Once you deleted the update, restart you computer. It took me 90min for the computer to start again. I don't if it's my computer or not but just to tell you to be patient ;).

Don't forget to check that all buttons have the same compatibility and the administrative runner :). I put it on the start button and the Sims.exe.

I hope it will help you :).
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Lily5921 wrote: »
    urkadurka wrote: »
    I installed The Sims Deluxe Edition and the Vacation, Unleashed, and Makin Magic expansion packs on my laptop two nights ago. I received the error message about running it as an Administrator, so I uninstalled the Windows Update from the first post in the thread and everything worked fine. I was able to play and make Sims and a house and such. I needed to check something on the internet, so I hit the Windows key to bring up my desktop. After that I couldn't really click on anything, not even the start button, unless I brought the task manager up. I went back into the Sims and everything still worked fine.

Last night I started up The Sims again and received an error message that @kyomilinh posted in this thread: ''It has come to our attention that you have installed another Sims expansion pack after The Sims Makin Magic. For this to work properly, The Sims Makin Magic installer will now update your installation." I clicked OK and then it asked me if I wanted to uninstall. Assuming that it was only going to uninstall Makin Magic, I clicked OK, but it uninstalled all of the original Sims games.

I tried reinstalling only Deluxe Edition today, but when I run the game it crashes at the loading screen, as described by @Myabear . The game crashes, brings me back to my desktop, and says "The Sims Deluxe Edition has stopped working."

I installed any Windows Updates that needed to be installed, which reinstalled the security update that makes the game not work, so I uninstalled it, restarted, and hid it as recommended from this thread. I have tried running the game in multiple different compatibility modes, have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times, opened cmd and tried the command prompts for the security driver, etc. Nothing. Works. Any ideas? I'm so frustrated because everything worked before so I know that theoretically it should be working, but it's not.

I had the same problem!! I found a solution. I hope it will help you too :).

Within the compatibility you can chose something else than Win98... For me The XP pack3 worked... You can try the pack 2 or Win95 too.
    But most important the update of 09/2015 (KB3086255) isn't the only one you have to uninstall... The update KB2670838 is blockin too (09/2014). But be careful, that update is needed if you use Internet Explorer 10. I don't so it wasn't a problem...

Once you deleted the update, restart you computer. It took me 90min for the computer to start again. I don't if it's my computer or not but just to tell you to be patient ;).

Don't forget to check that all buttons have the same compatibility and the administrative runner :). I put it on the start button and the Sims.exe.

I hope it will help you :).

Wait, that's the same update that causes DirectX 10 games to crash such as Devil May Cry 4, BioShock 2, and Resident Evil 5 (GFWL version). The Sims isn't a DX10 game, it uses DirectX 7. When I get Windows 7 on the Dell XPS 410, I might see how The Sims reacts to the KB2670838 update.

@urkadurka @Lily5921 I'm guessing you don't have The Sims Complete Collection. I only have the Complete Collection so I do not know how the older The Sims games work.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Lily5921Lily5921 Posts: 2 New Member
    Wait, that's the same update that causes DirectX 10 games to crash such as Devil May Cry 4, BioShock 2, and Resident Evil 5 (GFWL version). The Sims isn't a DX10 game, it uses DirectX 7. When I get Windows 7 on the Dell XPS 410, I might see how The Sims reacts to the KB2670838 update.

I belive you :p. But I don't know how those two updates crashes the Sims 1 so I can't explain. I just know it does lol. Because since I uninstalled the second one (for Direct X10) it woks fine ^^.

However... when I right click on the updates I only have the possibility of uninstall. I can't hide. Any idea how I can do that please? I have to uninstall them each time I wanna play ^^.

Thanx for the info :D

• Binn92Binn92 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello, I am a new member and cannot post a thread. However, I was hoping that someone could help. I have been wanting to play the Sims 1 on my Windows 7 laptop. I purchased the game over Amazon. I installed it and it seemed to install just fine. When I try to launch the game, the launcher comes up, but once I hit "play" and "1024 X 768", it just crashes and brings me back to the desktop screen. I have tried launching in compatibility mode, administrator and 256 color. I have also tried uninstalling the update KB3086255. Nothing seems to work :( I have read through many posts trying to figure out a solution. Does anyone have ANY other suggestions?! I just want to play this game for old times sake!! I read through your post and many others but I cannot seem to find a solution!!!

Thank you for any advice!
  • NebulanenmilkNebulanenmilk Posts: 1 New Member
    I can't create my own thread either but I have the same problem, however I have windows 10 and I can only find 10 updates on my computer since 2015 and no one is KB308. What should I do?
  • KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    I'm in the same boat right now. I've deleted that update in the past but my game isn't working again. No idea what to do
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    @KHS12 What I did was search for a modified sims.exe, move it to my sims folder (make sure you still keep the original .exe, call it something like original_sims.exe) I didn't delete any updates, mostly because there were no updates to delete, like @Nebulanenmilk said.

I did go to the youtube video, and checked out the site he mentions in the video discription, but that seemed dodgy at best. He also 'warns' about ads and viruses on that site...so I searched for another. What .exe you want to get depends on your version of the game: what expansions do you have? Do you have Delux/Double Delux? Complete collection? My search was: sims 1 superstar no cd patch. Just substitute with your game version. Should give you plenty of results. Don't know if I can mention the name of the site I ended up using, if I can find it again...? Didn't save a bookmark to it.
    edited May 2017
    Kathykins wrote: »
    @KHS12 What I did was search for a modified sims.exe, move it to my sims folder (make sure you still keep the original .exe, call it something like original_sims.exe) I didn't delete any updates, mostly because there were no updates to delete, like @Nebulanenmilk said.

I did go to the youtube video, and checked out the site he mentions in the video discription, but that seemed dodgy at best. He also 'warns' about ads and viruses on that site...so I searched for another. What .exe you want to get depends on your version of the game: what expansions do you have? Do you have Delux/Double Delux? Complete collection? My search was: sims 1 superstar no cd patch. Just substitute with your game version. Should give you plenty of results. Don't know if I can mention the name of the site I ended up using, if I can find it again...? Didn't save a bookmark to it.

I have the Complete Collection. I was able to play it for a few months but one day it just stopped working. Thought about uninstalling and reinstalling it but I'm not sure it would work. I've downloaded some versions online before as well but they're not quite right or are missing certain packs.
    I'm on windows 7 if that helps!
    @KHS12 I think Win 7 and 10 have the same problem when it comes to older games that use SafeDisc. Have you tried running as administrator, and the different compatibility modes (shortcut properties/Compatibility)? I've seen some say it only works for them in Win XP service pack 3, some say service pack 2, it varies. I run mine in SP 3, as admin. I tried all of that with the original .exe too, nothing worked. Just do a search for a no-cd patch for Complete Collection, and you'll hopefully be playing again before long :) You can also check the next to last post on the previous page. It has a link to a Google drive that has the file you would want.
    Kathykins wrote: »
    @KHS12 I think Win 7 and 10 have the same problem when it comes to older games that use SafeDisc. Have you tried running as administrator, and the different compatibility modes (shortcut properties/Compatibility)? I've seen some say it only works for them in Win XP service pack 3, some say service pack 2, it varies. I run mine in SP 3, as admin. I tried all of that with the original .exe too, nothing worked. Just do a search for a no-cd patch for Complete Collection, and you'll hopefully be playing again before long :) You can also check the next to last post on the previous page. It has a link to a Google drive that has the file you would want.

Yep did all of that to no avail :( I'm downloading another version of the complete collection because I can't seem to figure out the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 .exe file business.
    Yeah, its tricky buissiness these day, getting it to work :( Was sitting here for hours trying to figure it out, before getting that modified exe. The game has crashed a couple of times (not responding) but at least it works. Crossing my fingers you also work things out with it :)
  • HOTTSTUF21HOTTSTUF21 Posts: 8 New Member
    I am having the same problem
    and i cant figure out what to do
    can someone help me please so i can get on my game
    but i have windows 8
  • TheSimmerTimTheSimmerTim Posts: 38 Member
    This sounds like the best way to run The Sims on Windows 7, but is it completely safe to uninstall this security update?
  • N3therN3ther Posts: 5 New Member
    > @MidnightAura said:
    > My fiancé just managed to get the Sims 1 and all expansions working via compatibility mode on windows 10. Took a while but we got there.

Which compatibility mode setting was it? I've been trying to get the Sims 1 to work on my computer, but it hasn't worked so far...
    edited August 2017
    Just thought I'd post what I did to get TS1 to work. I have Windows 10. Installation went fine, some people have had problems. If the installation won't start (autorun won't start), find setup.exe on the discs and run that.

I looked for a no-cd patch that would match the last expansion I installed (since to get the game to run, I couldn't use the cd to play), which was Superstar at the time. Did a Google-search for "no-cd patch sims 1" and ended up getting the exe from Gamecopyworld. Now, be sure to keep your virus/adware/malware scanners at the ready, you never know if the files are safe or not. I have had no problems with the 2 files I got from GCW. Also found another site: http://www.awesomeexpression.com/sims-1-no-cd.html which also has a sims.exe for download, though I don't know if that is for the Complete collection or what.... It seems safer than any of the other sites I've found, anyway.

Locate where your game is installed. Mine is in C:\Program Files (x86)/Maxis. Find sims.exe and rename to something else, like sims_original.exe. Now move the sims.exe you just downloaded to that folder. Put a shortcut on your desktop, right-click it and select properties, then the compatibility tab.

Mine works with Windows XP Service pack 3, run as administrator. You might have to try something else entirely.

Good luck, and happy simming!

ETA: There is also a vote on gog.com to get TS1 Complete collection on there. Much rather have the game as a (legal) digital download than have to struggle with all those CD's again.
  • CarrigonCarrigon Posts: 81 Member
    I have The Complete Collection with a nocd from 🐸🐸🐸🐸.org It's running fine on Win 10. I did have to run it as an admin in Win 7 compat mode, you can try other compat modes, too. If you are playing and decide to press the Windows button to multitask, switching to Windows will badly screw up the game's graphics. I end up having to kill the game in task manager when I do that. But if I play and don't switch out, my game is smooth and stable. My old game backups from 2003 actually still worked! How crazy is that. And what a strange feeling to go back to my sims and find them all exactly as I left them. I did have to use SkinDoctor to clean out old bad skins, and I ran a GUID check and fixed a few conflicts. Now my game is smooth as silk. The only problem I've had is my new recolors, the game's thumbnails aren't refreshing. Also, Tmog and the game are shoving files into AppData/VirtualStore. You have to hunt around in there. That might be why my recolors aren't refreshing. I just renamed the userdata it shoved into VirtualStore, but haven't tested it yet. There is one other thing. To get the old modding programs working, some of them require old .ocx files. Win 10 doesn't have them. I put up a file with them and instructions at my site. Once installed, programs like SimCategorizer will work again, but you must run them all as an admin. You can get the file at my site.
    http://carrigon1.proboards.com/

SkinDoctor is up at Parsimonous, get it. There is no better program for cleaning out bad skins.
  • simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    @Carrigon
    You can prevent your Sims 1 game and tools from storing items in the Virtual Store folder by installing to a non-UAC location. By this, I mean not in the Wondows or Program Files or Program Files[x86] folders. I created a Games folder and installed Sims 1 to C:\Games\Maxis. No need to run as admin then, as there is no UAC in play.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • HamCheeseHamCheese Posts: 1 New Member
    I've seen other people with this problem but the solutions they use don't work for me.. ):

I'm using Windows 7.
    I installed the Sims Deluxe Edition with the expansions Hot Date and Vacation. At first I couldn't get it to work at all, then I deleted KB3086255 and everything was fine. The next day I tried to launch it again and it gave the message I have seen quoted on this discussion "'It has come to our attention that you have installed another Sims expansion pack......." and asks to update the installation. Upon clicking OK it asks me if I'd like to uninstall the Sims.

In accordance with this thread I also deleted KB2670838 but that hasn't done anything and I'm getting the same message.
    Could someone please help me? I love this game so much and I don't want to have to reinstall it and the expansion packs every time I want to play...
  • Rolosim85Rolosim85 Posts: 14 New Member
    Hi guys, another way to do this on Windows 7, is to enable the service the update KB3086255 disables by default and disabling it afterwards again with a few CMD console commands. In my opinion it is a lot safer than uninstalling the update. It goes as follows: Open command prompt in elevated mode, by pressing 'start' typing 'cmd', right click and Run as administrator. Now type 'sc config secdrv start= demand' and press enter, then 'sc start secdrv' and press enter. Keep cmd open and run the game. Afterwords just change the commands to stop the service like so: 'sc stop secdrv' and press enter, and then 'sc config secdrv start= disabled' and press enter.
  • Nay302Nay302 Posts: 1 New Member
    I’m looking for that update but I can’t find it. I don’t know what to do from there. Please someone help me out cause i just got this game for the nostalgia!
  • thesimsqueen11thesimsqueen11 Posts: 3 New Member
    I have windows 8.1, and I tried using windows exp service pack 3 and it dosen't seem to work for me :-(
  • LateNiteOwlLateNiteOwl Posts: 1 New Member
    I figured out how to get this game to run flawlessly on WINDOWS 7.
    Theres a few steps but this worked for me.

-Install VMWARE with Windows XP
    -Install Sims 1 into the virtual machine
    -Copy Directory contents (c:/Program Files>Maxis>Sims) from virtual machine to main computer (Using USB or Folder Share)
    -close VMWARE
    -Move folder into program files (or a permanent location on HD)
    -copy No Cd Patch to the root of the folder (Make sure you back up the original .exe - Save as simsOLD.exe)
    -Next you'll want to right click on the new Sims.exe you just copied and go to the compatibility tab
    -click Always run as ADMIN at the bottom and press apply and ok (You might have to click windows XP Service Pack 3 too but I didn't have to)
    -You should have no problems running this game from this point however
    -there is a glitch where the sound and music just cut out and you won't hear anything.
    -go to my computer and right click on the sims CD
    -Find the music folder and grab the entire folder and copy into the root of the game directory folder with the no cd patch you installed eariler
    -this will fix the music from glitching out.

I hope this helps somebody. It took me a few hours to figure this out.