Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else uncomfortable with yelling at pets in the Sims?

In the Sims 2, (don't know about 3) there was an option to yell at your pet. Of course it would lower friendships, and eventually could make them run away to find a better home.

From my experience with animals, I always felt extremely uncomfortable with having this kind of interaction. Never in my life have I used it on a pet.

Comments

• plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Well, I think in real-life it is not uncommon for someone to yell at a pet - in the same way that they yell at a child. I have yelled at plenty of inanimate objects - ie a toaster.

I am more worried about the game killing a Pet. I had a Sim killed stone-dead by the game and fear for Pets.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited August 2017
    Sometimes it is better to yell than to beat :) I mean as a punishment.

I have no idea why I wrote this. I am sorry.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2017
    In real life I've only yelled at my cat for scratching my face. Technically cursing at my cat. I don't know if I annoyed her, but I just laid down next to her, and Swat! It was uncalled for.

Yelling doesn't really do anything in real life. I always laugh at other pet owners funny when they do... I would just "ground" them or something, take away their favorite toy for a little bit. put them in a cage, or "ignore" them/silent treatment. that works better.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited August 2017
    I've had 3 dogs in rl. My mom raising both us (me and my 4 siblings), the dogs and her own 2 cats, treated us all pretty much equally when it came to discipline in a way.

Whenever any of us would argue, our dogs would always get into it lol. Somehow my mom would just divide us all "Hey! you over there! you over there! and you over there." the dogs, hardly even trained just knew exactly where to go. And we also went to where we were suppose to. Mind you we never believed in hitting, not with children and not with pets. Just a nice sense of parenting on both sides. I can't explain it, but eh, as my mom always said: If you can raise a dog, you can raise a child.

Ironically I've raised both and after all these years, I really do see what she meant :lol:
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I have yelled at my dogs but in the sense they were a fair distance away off lead and about to stop, drop and roll in some horse poop and the alternative was to let her roll in it. She wouldn't have heard me speaking at a normal volume.

In an aggressive way, no it's not okay, the same way it's not okay to yell at someone for no reason but context is key. Sims telling their pets off doesn't bother me. I hate the faces sims 2 pets will pull when being told off though!
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If your beloved pet is running into a busy street, I imagine you would yell very loudly.
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    Sometimes it is better to yell than to beat :) I mean as a punishment.

I have no idea why I wrote this. I am sorry.

This is true.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If your beloved pet is running into a busy street, I imagine you would yell very loudly.

Absolutely.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Sometimes it is necessary to "yell" at a pet. When my cat is trying to eat something that would harm him or does something he knows he is not allowed to do just for attention (or attacks guests because he is jealous). I will yell "No!". He does not like loud noises, so that usually works. I never considered this to be a bad thing, to be honest.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    In the Sims 2, (don't know about 3) there was an option to yell at your pet. Of course it would lower friendships, and eventually could make them run away to find a better home.

From my experience with animals, I always felt extremely uncomfortable with having this kind of interaction. Never in my life have I used it on a pet.
    h
    Playing the sims 3 with pets. The sims in 3 seem to have the option to scold them from any behaviour.Also you option to praise them too .
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    My Sims yell at their toddlers all the time because I tell them to do so >:) .
  • AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I hate yelling at the toddlers and the pets. I'm pretty sure it's the sad and innocent face afterwards. In real life, I'm much more firm with my cat which is pretty ironic!
    Plus, what if you have a pet who is hard of hearing?

Or maybe a hamster that likes to sit in its cage playing music at like 200 decibels at 4am?
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Seriously, I don't get the yelling thing. If you want to be mean or cruel, a whisper can do plenty of harm. On the other hand, I have a childhood memory that involves someone yelling at me and I can honestly say it tought me how beautiful and scary love is. So beautiful and scary, in fact, that losing someone you love can ruin the rest of your days. Yelling is nothing else than a means of expression it is not in and of itself good or evil.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited August 2017
    i don't see the harm :D
    yelling at them is probably the least harmful way people let their pets know they did something wrong
    at least theres no option to hit em on the head with a rolled up newspaper. i used to have to watch my dad do that to our dog as a kid
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • PerunaPeruna Posts: 101 Member
    Well I mean, you're not forced to use that interaction? I know I never use the "yell at" option at anyone, and I know I definitely won't be using it with pets. But I generally feel like the more options the better, so I'm glad the option exists. It would feel wrong if the only interactions we could choose were positive, "right" ones.
  • LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    Yelling is awful for us, it's a disrespect and a invasion and it's specially harmful for childrens. It's not necessarily cruel, true, but usually isn't associated to anything good either.

But honestly, I don't think pets care at all. A dog can recognize by your face and body language if you're angry, so it gets sad because he wants to be a good boy :) and cats dont care about us and our opinion at all. Yelling alone means nothing for pets, as far as I know
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Livinity wrote: »
    Yelling is awful for us, it's a disrespect and a invasion and it's specially harmful for childrens. It's not necessarily cruel, true, but usually isn't associated to anything good either.

But honestly, I don't think pets care at all. A dog can recognize by your face and body language if you're angry, so it gets sad because he wants to be a good boy :) and cats dont care about us and our opinion at all. Yelling alone means nothing for pets, as far as I know

exactly you try yelling at the cat its just going to give you it's resting face. like "What's Good Peasant?"
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    I don't yell at my rl toddler but sometimes I do have to be stern and say NO. As for pets I can't say I yell, but I can get stern when I have to. I'm t totally against using excessive force this is why I see nothing wrong with using ones voice, it's a lot better than resorting to force.
    Let's just cut to the chase here:

How many people have never, at some point, shouted and screamed at their monitor screen whilst playing a Sims game?

Come on - everyone has done it

Why be worried about a Sim screaming at a Pet when you are SCREAMING at the pair of them?
  • JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    edited August 2017
    It's either yell or hit with a newspaper. Either way it's a game, and you're not forced to use the options. Personally I don't see why you can't use those interactions if you can do other T rated interactions in the game. How you play "your" game shouldn't affect everyone else's gameplay regardless of your "personal" feelings. It's a T rated game, not E for everyone.
  • glitterjackieglitterjackie Posts: 36 Member
    Doesn't really bother me. When my cat does something bad, I raise my voice to let them know I'm not messing around. He knows he's not allowed on the table, so I raise my voice to get him off. It's better that they learn to be obedient.
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Um yelling at a pet is an effective way of training it to stop doing something it shouldn't. And whoever above said yelling at a cat does nothing isn't true either. I have one and any time she is doing something I don't want her to I firmly yell "Hey!" And she immediately meows and stops what she's doing because she knows she's in trouble. Depends on the cat and how consistent you are in your approach.

It's not like most people yell at their pets for the fun of it. Some people are too sensitive...this is why so many things are watered down these days, including this game.
  • CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    mine all ignore me anyway it's like "oh it's just daddy on a nutter again" yawn
  • JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    Um yelling at a pet is an effective way of training it to stop doing something it shouldn't. And whoever above said yelling at a cat does nothing isn't true either. I have one and any time she is doing something I don't want her to I firmly yell "Hey!" And she immediately meows and stops what she's doing because she knows she's in trouble. Depends on the cat and how consistent you are in your approach.

It's not like most people yell at their pets for the fun of it. Some people are too sensitive...this is why so many things are watered down these days, including this game.

Exactly. It's an "option". People raise their children differently and the same goes for pets. Remember the phrase "You Rule"? Just rule your own game lol
  • ZoaeaZoaea Posts: 79 Member
    edited August 2017
    Ok so I'm not a dog person, but if you don't scold them for doing something wrong how else would you teach them? It's not like they will understand a calm explanation of what they did wrong. I'm quiet sure shock collars and smacking are worse but also accepted forms of animal disipline. They understand pecking orders and dominance and tone of voice.

Anyway, this is why I stick to guinea pigs and chinchillas. Even then I'll copy their own sounds to give warning of displeasure if they bite. (Being rodents it's quieter than yelling)