Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changes to minimum requirements for Cats & Dogs expansion pack

luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
edited September 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/cats-and-dogs-faq
What are the minimum PC system requirements for The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs?
MINIMUM OS: 64 Bit Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10

CPU: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000+ or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)

RAM: At least 4 GB RAM

DISC DRIVE: DVD ROM drive required for installation only

HARD DRIVE: At least 3 GB of free space (14 GB if installing with The Sims 4) with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games

VIDEO: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better

DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible

SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c Compatible

INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse

post from @crinrict about this:
http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2017/08/changes-to-minimum-requirements-for-cats-dogs-expansion-pack/

But note these are minimum, not recommended. As in, if your computer is below these and the pack won't work... you're on your own. It's not a level that's guaranteeing good performance.

EDIT: Since it's come up in this thread now. If you are at or not well above these new minimum specs, you might still not be fine with the new pack. The Technical Forums here have, since game launch, seen so many examples of failing hardware and serious game performance problems with above-minimum but well below recommended specs. Sure, you could be fine, but this pack might be what it takes to push you over the edge into not fine. Please take that into account if you're playing anywhere near these minimum specs on a laptop in particular.
EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
Post edited by luthienrising on

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Hello
    Thankyou very much for posting the helpful infornation about the new minimum requirements for running Sims Cats and Dogs :)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    Windows 8 is basically plumb and I have Windows 10 on my new laptop and I'm not liking it very much either. I have Windows 7 Premium on my gaming rig. Why should I have to pay more just to have a cat or a dog in my game?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Windows 8 is basically plumb and I have Windows 10 on my new laptop and I'm not liking it very much either. I have Windows 7 Premium on my gaming rig. Why should I have to pay more just to have a cat or a dog in my game?

Windows 7 is the minimum, so you're fine if it's 64-bit.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member

Windows 7 is the minimum, so you're fine if it's 64-bit.

Thank you, my eye skipped over it. Yes, it's 64-bit. Phew! :*
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    I think it's about time they started designing with 64-bit as a minimum. Anyone serious about gaming (spends alot of time playing games) should invest in at least 4 GB of memory and a decent GPU. I hope they keep making changes to the engine and expanding the way things work.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    On one hand, it's good that they are expanding the engine because it means that they'll be able to accomplish more with it.
    On the other hand, I'm going to study in 2019 so it would be stupid to buy a PC that I can't take with me, but I'm poor so can't afford a good gaming laptop :anguished:
  • may151997may151997 Posts: 209 Member
    Can anyone tell me if a AMD A8-5550 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2.10GHz processor will suffice? I think it will, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    edited August 2017
    Darnit. I love pets, but because the system requirements for Cats and Dogs have been increased, I can't run it anymore. I assume this means this will be the new requirements going forward too, so I guess I get to save money now for not buying future packs.
  • Madds321Madds321 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @tobumon said:
    > Darnit. I love pets, but because the system requirements for Cats and Dogs have been increased, I can't run it anymore. I assume this means this will be the new requirements going forward too, so I guess I get to save money now for not buying future packs.

Switching to 64 bit is a problem for me as well, I contacted EA, and a tech expert said it being only 64 bit was strange, so hopefully there will be a 32 bit version in the works. The chat is below:

Chat Transcript
    info: Your approximate wait time is 6 minute.
    info: Your approximate wait time is 5 minute.
    info: Your approximate wait time is 4 minute.
    info: Your approximate wait time is 2 minute.
    info: Your approximate wait time is 4 minute.
    info: Thank you for contacting us. Thomas will help you soon.
    Thomas: Thanks for contacting EA Help, my name is Thomas. How may I assist you today?
    you: Hello, I know its going to be about 3 months until the release, so you may not know the answer, but I was looking at the system requirements for Sims 4 Cats and Dogs, and they said on minimum requirement you need a 64 bit version of Windows, while on past Sims 4 games it only requires a newer version of either 32 or 64 bit. To cut it short will Sims 4 Cats and Dogs only be available for 64 bit operating systems?
    Thomas: Hello, I can look into this here with you and see if we can confirm that. I do not play sims really myself so not sure off hand. But we can check and see if we can confirm that.
    Thomas: May I get your name so I can address you properly here please?
    you: ok thank you, I'd really appreciate that
    you: and my name is Maddie
    Thomas: thank you Maddie. No problem at all. I am looking already if you can hold for me here please.
    Thomas: Alright Maddie, thank you for holding for me there.
    you: its no problem
    Thomas: Looking into this it does look like that expansion will require a 64-bit OS
    you: ok, thank you for checking, will a 32 bit version be in the works, or is Sims switching to only 64 bit?
    Thomas: So I am not too technically saavy. So I asked a technical expert here and he was surprised to see it was only 64 bit. I did have him check and ask if there is a simple work around on this. Right now we do not know if there will be a 32bit release on this expansion. And in order for it to work, you would need to do quiet a bit. Like getting a new OS.
    you: Yes, you have to get a new motherboard to switch, thank you for being so through, I really appreciate it
    you: Well, thank you for your help and time, have a nice day :)
    Thomas: Anytime. And thank you for contacting EA Help Maddie. Hope you have a wonderful evening.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited August 2017
    Is there a good place to post a system dx to see if I'm good to go for the new EP? I don't want to hijack your thread with a giant dx post, I think if I'm reading it right I'm okay, but I'm not super confident that I'm reading it correctly.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Is there a good place to post a system dx to see if I'm good to go for the new EP? I don't want to hijack your thread with a giant dx post, I think if I'm reading it right I'm okay, but I'm not super confident that I'm reading it correctly.

Hello @Pamtastic72 :)
    Instead of posting the dxdiag info into multiple posts, copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and then start a new thread in the Sims 4 Tech section of the forums, and post the link to the file there.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-technical-discussions
  • OwnedByCatsOwnedByCats Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Madds321 said:
    > > @tobumon said:
    > > Darnit. I love pets, but because the system requirements for Cats and Dogs have been increased, I can't run it anymore. I assume this means this will be the new requirements going forward too, so I guess I get to save money now for not buying future packs.
    >
    >
    > Switching to 64 bit is a problem for me as well, I contacted EA, and a tech expert said it being only 64 bit was strange, so hopefully there will be a 32 bit version in the works. The chat is below:
    >
    >
    > Chat Transcript
    > info: Your approximate wait time is 6 minute.
    > info: Your approximate wait time is 5 minute.
    > info: Your approximate wait time is 4 minute.
    > info: Your approximate wait time is 2 minute.
    > info: Your approximate wait time is 4 minute.
    > info: Thank you for contacting us. Thomas will help you soon.
    > Thomas: Thanks for contacting EA Help, my name is Thomas. How may I assist you today?
    > you: Hello, I know its going to be about 3 months until the release, so you may not know the answer, but I was looking at the system requirements for Sims 4 Cats and Dogs, and they said on minimum requirement you need a 64 bit version of Windows, while on past Sims 4 games it only requires a newer version of either 32 or 64 bit. To cut it short will Sims 4 Cats and Dogs only be available for 64 bit operating systems?
    > Thomas: Hello, I can look into this here with you and see if we can confirm that. I do not play sims really myself so not sure off hand. But we can check and see if we can confirm that.
    > Thomas: May I get your name so I can address you properly here please?
    > you: ok thank you, I'd really appreciate that
    > you: and my name is Maddie
    > Thomas: thank you Maddie. No problem at all. I am looking already if you can hold for me here please.
    > Thomas: Alright Maddie, thank you for holding for me there.
    > you: its no problem
    > Thomas: Looking into this it does look like that expansion will require a 64-bit OS
    > you: ok, thank you for checking, will a 32 bit version be in the works, or is Sims switching to only 64 bit?
    > Thomas: So I am not too technically saavy. So I asked a technical expert here and he was surprised to see it was only 64 bit. I did have him check and ask if there is a simple work around on this. Right now we do not know if there will be a 32bit release on this expansion. And in order for it to work, you would need to do quiet a bit. Like getting a new OS.
    > you: Yes, you have to get a new motherboard to switch, thank you for being so through, I really appreciate it
    > you: Well, thank you for your help and time, have a nice day :)
    > Thomas: Anytime. And thank you for contacting EA Help Maddie. Hope you have a wonderful evening.

I was reading the requirements to mean Win 7 you need 64 bit, but for newer operating systems you don't, since it does not specify for those? Can you get the free Win 10 upgrade? I could be wrong, but certainly something to ask about if money is a problem.
    Since 32-bit is pretty much extinct at this point, I doubt 64-bit only applies to Win 7.
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited August 2017
    tobumon wrote: »
    Since 32-bit is pretty much extinct at this point, I doubt 64-bit only applies to Win 7.

From my understanding, the 64bit refers to Windows 7 only. Windows 8 and above can still play in 32bit. That's why the 64bit is on the Windows 7 section.
    edited August 2017
    Really? I thought they stopped making 32-bit 'anything' ages ago, especially now that more and more games are going 64-bit only. My mistake then.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    DivieOwl wrote: »

From my understanding, the 64bit refers to Windows 7 only. Windows 8 and above can still play in 32bit. That's why the 64bit is on the Windows 7 section.

No. It refers to all three.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Meltron2Meltron2 Posts: 70 Member
    A few essential requirements for pet pack. I've been with The Sims for 8 years, so please listen. 1. Pets must get out the way of the Sims. I had to put an another door in, so my Sim could get to work, because a pet was in the way. 2. Spay and Neuter option for all pets including the "stray" ones. Too many pets were being generated in The Sims 3. 3. Reversible spay and neuter is needed if I change my mind.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Really? I thought they stopped making 32-bit 'anything' ages ago, especially now that more and more games are going 64-bit only. My mistake then.

You are correct. This game will not run on 32 bit. You need a 64 bit windows 7, 8 or 10. In tech we have had a few people here and there who still had/have 32 bit and they can't run the game.
    edited August 2017
    DivieOwl wrote: »

This is incorrect. See my post above this one

Edit to add: You need a 64 bit version of windows to be able to access enough computer ram to run this game. 32 bit version of windows can not access enough computer ram to run this game
  • OwnedByCatsOwnedByCats Posts: 3 New Member
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > tobumon wrote: »
    >
    > Really? I thought they stopped making 32-bit 'anything' ages ago, especially now that more and more games are going 64-bit only. My mistake then.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You are correct. This game will not run on 32 bit. You need a 64 bit windows 7, 8 or 10. In tech we have had a few people here and there who still had/have 32 bit and they can't run the game.

Ok cool, I was just checking just in case that person could just upgrade for free. I know the game started on 32 bit (and I complained about it at the beginning), but I must have missed when the change happened since I have always been on 64 bit. Thanks for clearing that up!
    edited August 2017
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > tobumon wrote: »
    >
    > Really? I thought they stopped making 32-bit 'anything' ages ago, especially now that more and more games are going 64-bit only. My mistake then.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You are correct. This game will not run on 32 bit. You need a 64 bit windows 7, 8 or 10. In tech we have had a few people here and there who still had/have 32 bit and they can't run the game.

Ok cool, I was just checking just in case that person could just upgrade for free. I know the game started on 32 bit (and I complained about it at the beginning), but I must have missed when the change happened since I have always been on 64 bit. Thanks for clearing that up!

There is a difference of having a game designed 32 bit as opposed to having a 32 bit version of windows. Having a game designed at 32 bit means the game cant use more than 3.5 gb of computer ram. A 32 bit Windows can not access more than 3.5 gb computer ram total for everything running on that computer http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013751/why-cant-32-bit-windows-access-4gb-of-ram.html

Example you have a 32 bit windows which can only access 3.5 gb ram total for everything running on your computer. The game alone at 32 bit needs 3.5 gb computer ram. You need extra ram above the 3.5 gb ram the game needs to run for windows origin, processor and other programs. You will not be able to access enough computer ram to run the game and other programs with a 32 bit version of windows.

With a 64 bit version of windows it allows access to more computer ram. Example : You have a 64 bit version of windows but playing the 32 bit version of the game. Your computer has 8gb ram. You need 3.5 gb ram to run the 32 bit version of the game. This leaves you 4.5 gb of computer ram to run other things on your computer that need ram while running the game at the same time.

If you have a 64 bit version of windows and playing the 64 bit version of the game it will use up more computer ram and you will have less ram to run other programs if you have 8gb computer ram total. This would be worse for someone who has an integrated video card processor who is trying to run the game, processor, video card, origin , windows and other programs all on the same 8gb ram

• SunsetSimsPrimeSunsetSimsPrime Posts: 77 Member

You are correct. This game will not run on 32 bit. You need a 64 bit windows 7, 8 or 10. In tech we have had a few people here and there who still had/have 32 bit and they can't run the game.

Thank you for the info I was wondering if there was any chance at all that the expansion pack will play on 32 bit.

Thank you for the info I was wondering if there was any chance at all that the expansion pack will play on 32 bit.

The game can not play on a 32 bit version of windows as I explained in my above message in this thread. It's not just your version of windows that comes into play. Your whole computer needs to meet requirements , video card, processor , amount of computer ram, amount of hard drive space and having a 64 bit version of windows 7, 8 or 10 .