Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New to The Sims 4 on Mac? Look no further!

Comments

• M_azing_designsM_azing_designs Posts: 5 New Member
    So far, no complaints at all as far as how the game runs. I have all the graphics and such set on low just to be safe.

I will say though, I hate the camera and controls in this version compared to Sims 3. I want to be able to tip the camera up and down instead of spinning it, and the scroll to zoom in and out is way too touchy.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    So far, no complaints at all as far as how the game runs. I have all the graphics and such set on low just to be safe.

I will say though, I hate the camera and controls in this version compared to Sims 3. I want to be able to tip the camera up and down instead of spinning it, and the scroll to zoom in and out is way too touchy.

Go into the camera options and set it to the Sims 3 controls.
    apple-signature.png
  • Momo315Momo315 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi! I had the same problem with the control/shift/c buttons not working. If you have origin, right click on Sims 4 game icon in "my game library" and then click "repair". That goes through all of the extra content to make sure everything is reset and working.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks
  • MemetasticMemetastic Posts: 16 New Member
    Hey all! I recently got a Mac, here are the specs:
    Early 2015 13" MBP with Retina Display
    3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Whenever I run Sims 4 (I have 2 expansions, 2 GPs, 1 Stuff pack, NO CC or Mods), my fans get VERY loud. I'm wondering if this is okay? I know the fans don't trigger until the laptop starts to overheat but I don't want to wear out the fans or do harm to my laptop if it's overheating all the time when I play Sims. I have the graphics set on the lowest option. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
  • jksaulogjksaulog Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi my game is just stuck on loading screen on top. The game is still on behind the rotating thing that indicates loading. I don't want to quit my app cause I haven't saved my game's progress which I played for hours. Please help me without doing everything again :(
    Memetastic wrote: »
    Hey all! I recently got a Mac, here are the specs:
    Early 2015 13" MBP with Retina Display
    3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Whenever I run Sims 4 (I have 2 expansions, 2 GPs, 1 Stuff pack, NO CC or Mods), my fans get VERY loud. I'm wondering if this is okay? I know the fans don't trigger until the laptop starts to overheat but I don't want to wear out the fans or do harm to my laptop if it's overheating all the time when I play Sims. I have the graphics set on the lowest option. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Make sure your Mac is elevated so air can circulate underneath - the aluminium casing is designed to help dissipate heat. Your Mac has integrated Intel graphics which aren't designed for gaming but it should be ok-ish on low settings.
    apple-signature.png
    jksaulog wrote: »
    Hi my game is just stuck on loading screen on top. The game is still on behind the rotating thing that indicates loading. I don't want to quit my app cause I haven't saved my game's progress which I played for hours. Please help me without doing everything again :(

You'll have to click on the Apple in the menu bar then Force Quit and choose to force quit the game, you'll lose your game progress unfortunately :(
    apple-signature.png
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    edited November 2017
    Posted in the wrong thread, sorry!
    Post edited by puderosasims on
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • AbbyVVfifaAbbyVVfifa Posts: 2 New Member
    I am running SIMS 4 on an iMac and want to move it to a new iMac, possibly a Mac Mini.
    What to do?
    Looks like a new install?
    How to get all the characters and houses - will they automatically download?

Is anything stored on the current iMac?
    If so, what and where is it stored?

Are there any concerns about running SIMs 4 on a Mac Mini?
    How much RAM should I have?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Get at least 32 GB of RAM on an iMac. It really is a life saver. Secondly, all your saves and houses and CC/Mods are saved in the Sims 4 folder found under Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4. You will need to install Sims 4 on your new computer and then copy your Sims 4 folder on a thumb drive or using direct connect, but trash the Options.ini file. Start up Sims 4 on your new computer to allow the game to generate the Sims 4 folder once more and then you can copy and paste the contents from your original file.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • AbbyVVfifaAbbyVVfifa Posts: 2 New Member
    Tremayne4260 - Thank you for the insights.

Our EA > SIMS 4 folder is 40GB. Is that a reasonable size? What are typical sizes of these folders?

We have 24 GB RAM on the current iMac... SIMS 4 really needs 32?!?!
    Is this true for other platforms - Windows, X-Box, Playstation, or wherever else? or is it an Apple / Mac requirement?

On our Mac, only SIMS 4 and iMovie make the iMac's cooling fan run. So, is this just really graphics intensive (clearly great graphics!)?

I'm also curious...

Our iMac is "Late 2015," 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5.

For a couple reasons I'm exploring a Mac Mini for SIMS 4... looks like the Mac Mini maxes at 3.00 GHz i7 (> an i5) and 16 GB of RAM... do you think this would this be noticeably, or even significantly slower than the iMac?

Wouldn't any performance drops be more from RAM than CPU? Would the hard drive matter - Fusion drive vs. PCIe-based flash storage? I would think RAM would matter (but limited to 16 GB), but hard drive would only have a negligible impact on starting and saving speeds.

Thanks!
    Sims 4 needs 8GB to run, however with newer iMacs it is hard to get more RAM after purchasing. I recommend it simply because it does not cause strain on your computer as more is always better. :)

I am not sure how large my Sims 4 folder is, but it isn't 40GB (I don't have a lot of CC/Mod in my game as it causes lag).
  • mma00000000mma00000000 Posts: 4 New Member
    It's been awhile since I've played and used to play on a PC. Now I'm looking to use my old macbook pro to potentially play but unsure if/how well it will work especially after reading some comments in these threads. I've read the minimum system requirements but computer specs isn't really my language. This what I have:
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
    OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
    Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB

If it makes a difference, I do plan on restoring my computer back to factory setting first. Thank you!!
    It's been awhile since I've played and used to play on a PC. Now I'm looking to use my old macbook pro to potentially play but unsure if/how well it will work especially after reading some comments in these threads. I've read the minimum system requirements but computer specs isn't really my language. This what I have:
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
    OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
    Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB

If it makes a difference, I do plan on restoring my computer back to factory setting first. Thank you!!

You may be able to play on low settings but as you add more packs/CC/Mods to the game it may well lag. The Intel HD 3000 isn't really powerful enough for gaming. If. you already own the game then just download it on your Mac and give it a go :)
    apple-signature.png
  • kokomerrakokomerra Posts: 1 New Member
    How to enlarge items on iMac? I clicked Shift + ] or Shift + [ and it did not work. Help
    Try the Control key instead of the Shift key.
  • NeodinomazNeodinomaz Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, I've just installed The Sims 4 on my macbook. The game installed quickly, loaded up quickly, create a sim ran beautifully... I was so happy as I've been playing buggy Sims 3 for years and Sims 4 seemed like a miracle. Once I actually got into gameplay however, the graphics look HORRIBLE. Very pixelated, sims 1 esque graphics. The actual gameplay is smooth with no freezing/glitching.

I've tried changing the quality settings, the resolution, playing in and out of windowed mode... nothing makes any difference.

These are the specifications of my macbook:

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4
    Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2012
    Processor 2.5GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB

I'm not very good with technical stuff so no idea if my processor/graphics card even meet the minimum requirements, please help!
    You have very low RAM for a game like this. 8GB would do you just fine and you could then raise the graphics settings as well. The reason for saying more RAM is because once you start adding in CC or other EPs/GPs/SPs your computer will struggle more to run the game.
  • ruby_s1mmerruby_s1mmer Posts: 5 New Member
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I can't post discussions of my own yet, so I'm so sorry!!

I play on a Macbook Pro Retina, 13-inch 8GB, Early 2015, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, Intel Irish Graphics 6100 1536MB. I don't really think that information has anything to do with my problem, but I'm supposed to list it in a post with my problem, right? (can you tell I'm new to this?)

ALRIGHTY GETTING TO THE PROBLEM: A few months ago I had an inventory problem that caused me to have to recover an autosave. I recovered the save file as a new save(with the help of the forum bc I'm hopeless when it comes to sims) and the problem was fixed! YES! Well, now I have two saves with the exact same content; the OG save and the recovered save, which is lovingly named Save 2(Recovered). I started using the OG as a build save of sorts, but left all of my families alone/never played in live mode. Gearing up for Seasons, I'd like for my macbook to be under as little stress as possible, so I'd like to delete the OG save file. It contains nearly a year of gameplay I really no longer need since I have the recovered save and a brand new build save. Can I delete the OG save file without it affecting the recovered save file? (Is this a dumb question? This is my first time really getting into any kind of game. I love it, but all the mechanics are really kind are confusing for me.)

Sorry this was so long, yikes. I appreciate any help! Or even just someone telling me this probably has not been posted in the right spot lol
    Just so you don't lose the game again, make a backup of your saved games on a USB thumb drive. Back your saved games up regularly (like say twice a week) and that way you are always covered. Yes, you should be able to delete the game in question (once you have a backup) and you should be able to play just fine.
  • ruby_s1mmerruby_s1mmer Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > Just so you don't lose the game again, make a backup of your saved games on a USB thumb drive. Back your saved games up regularly (like say twice a week) and that way you are always covered. Yes, you should be able to delete the game in question (once you have a backup) and you should be able to play just fine.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help!
    Most welcome :)
  • kathiacikathiaci Posts: 2 New Member
    hi I'm new here and idk how to make my own discussion so I'm writing here, soo I want to temporary delete sims 4 from my Mac because I need to clear some space on it (don't ask why) and the question is, can I delete it but preserve all it's data? like if I download it again, am I going to have start everything all over or I can load my game? ty
    You can load your Sims 4 folder (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4) on to a USB thumb drive or an external hard drive and this will save your saved games, mods and such so that if you want to later reinstall the game your saved families/games can be added back in later. It's good to do this regularly as well so you don't lose your progress.
  • kathiacikathiaci Posts: 2 New Member
    okay thanks!! and one more question, I just checked and my sims 4 folder is 2GB big but the whole Sims 4 app is 15GB big.. is that normal? can I delete the app safely without erasing some important stuff (I already copied the sims 4 folder on my usb)