Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets Are NOT Playable!

Comments

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2017
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Lol. But when they multitask, they do it awfully quick don't they? As opposed to the 5 real life minutes it would take to do the same in TS3.

I can pick out bugs in TS3's autonomy, too. I'm talking about efficiency and responsiveness.

actually, they're a lot slower. Talking and eating at the same time was present in both TS2 and TS3. The only difference is that due to the lack of need to grimace in between actions it went rather efficiently. And when I told my sim to sit, they would sit.

If Betty is walking with her bowl of cereal to wave at John, she's not eating. She's walking there. She stops, waves at John, takes a spoonful and walks off to get some water. She gets the water, sips it, grimaces and runs off to talk to John again. Betty just spent 3 hours on eating breakfast.

If you look closely you can see that multitasking never means actually "at the same time". If you follow your sims, you can see that they eat, perform facial expression, talk, eat again, listen, grimace, talk, grimace, eat again. If you want I can time eating at all 3 games for you.

But you're still picking out issues with multitasking that are unintentional. I don't like that part of the simulation, either and I know what you mean about the multitasking because I hate that the actions are actually alternating.

What I meant was, tell a sim in TS3 to eat, walk to another sim, then get water, talk to the other sim, etc. and compare how long it takes. All that running back and forth happens much quicker in TS4.

Again, you talk about how unintentional it is in TS4 when it was also unintentional in TS3, yet in TS3 they were more responsive.

I was talking about the unintentional affects of multitasking. TS3 has very little, if any, multitasking to compare to.
    Anywho, I think we are going too far off topic because you like to pick things apart by taking them out of context. Not doing this with you right now. B)
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited August 2017
    Because opinions? Personally I never controlled them in TS3.

Also some people are upset, however in TS2 you couldn't control them but you could with a cheat and there's a possibility this will happen in TS4.

ETA:
    The trailer was great and as for critiquing the presenter I'm not going to. I never had to speak in front of that many people for one and for another it has zero bearing on the game.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    Excellent! Much prefer it that way
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake @EA_Mage Can you guys please be more professional with your jobs -.- How is this speculation? I am totally fine with anything getting moved into the RIGHT one but to place something in the correct place then get it moved by MODS into the wrong place..

Careful. You might get written up for "Casting Aspersions" :|

Not to mention "talking about moderation."
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I guess I'm not bothered because my favourite game is the sims 2 and I can't control them there. Even in the sims 3 I rarely control my pets. It's a shame for those that want the option and I'm a little surprised there is no cheat to control your pets.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    @SimGuruDrake @EA_Mage Can you guys please be more professional with your jobs -.- How is this speculation? I am totally fine with anything getting moved into the RIGHT one but to place something in the correct place then get it moved by MODS into the wrong place..

Edited :D Can you remove the quote I guess?
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member

Not to mention "talking about moderation."

Pretty sure I can talk about moderation if the actions are unrational
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »
    Also some people are upset, however in TS2 you couldn't control them but you could with a cheat and there's a possibility this will happen in TS4.

They already confirmed it won't happen. That's what the big issue is.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I prefer not being in full control of Pets, so it's not a big loss.
    I was fine with it for TS2 and I didn't bother much with controlling them in TS3, but then again I only gave sims Pets once in a while in TS3 and not at all after TS4 came out. I think I will give my current TS3 sims a cat tonight.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Can someone just level with me for a second. I'm seeing a lot of people rejoicing over this but in what way is (once again) not giving players a choice, in the Sims, a good thing? Like...I can understand not being bothered by this because you didnt necessarily like controlling your pets...but to be happy that you don't even have the option to? You always had the choice of whether or not you could control pets. Even in TS2.

I don't use twitter and talking to anyone other than Graham rarely gives the desired answer. So can somebody please ask tweet them and ask if we at least have a cheat that makes pets playable? This'll be my deciding factor on this pack. If cheats can make them playable, I won't complain about it anymore.

Keep in mind some of us prefer NOT having the option. It's not just a matter of being 'okay' with it. Besides, controlling pets wasn't really optional anyway due to the buggy nature of the game. I like having an influence on my pets while they maintain their independence. It's more realistic and less frustrating.

But how does having the option to do that stop you from not doing it the way you want to? That kinda defeats the purpose of having the option. If you don't wanna control your pets, that's perfectly fine. Keep your autonomy on and let them go nuts. But that shouldn't mean people who do want to control them shouldn't get the chance to.

I'm a control freak when it comes to these games. Everything's gotta he done exactly how I want it. My sims don't even age without me telling them to (It's actually kinda funny how I'm such a perfectionist in these games but far from it in real life lol). I need that constant feeling of being in control for me to get the of amount of enjoyment out of a Sims game. That's just how I am with creative stuff. But with TS4, I'm getting less and less of that feeling as time goes on :/
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    Just found out that there will be no cheat to make pets playable

Welp. That's it for me. Better luck next expansion. We only get one a year now, right?

I already explained that in my previous posts. To sum it up, I much prefer the way animals behaved in the Sims 2 versus 3. If making them uncontrollable is why they are so lively, I'm all for it. I didn't want a repeat of the Sims 3 pets.

*As for the "keep your autonomy on and let them go nuts," that's just it, they didn't go nuts because they were usually sitting around waiting. Cats and dogs were quite stiff and nothing like what we're getting with this expansion.

You having the option to control pets means we get boring, inactive pets.
    Sounds like you had a slow CPU that couldn't keep up with the gameplay which is why Sims/Pets just sit around. That is not a game issue but a hardware issue. Sims and Pets are quite active in my game though I only have one dog and two cats in the world so far.

So apparently, less is more and that's okay because your computer can handle it? That's one reason why TS4 lacks so much depth because the trade-off was to greatly widen the playability of those who have old hardware and cannot upgrade whatever the reason. But is it truly worth it to leave out and ignore the hardcore players who does have the funds to keep up with PC gaming? Not saying to forget about compatibility with lower-end computers but with TS4 there is no balance between the two just as there is no balance between realism and cartoony.

Nah, I have an i7 @ 4.10 GHz. No matter how active you say your pets are in the Sims 3, it's nothing compared to what we saw in the Sims 4. It's like comparing general autonomy in TS3 to TS4. There is no comparison. I personally don't see it as less is more. It's just more. ;)

Trailers are always staged to a certain extent.

You like random push-ups anywhere, anytime? Autonomous actions like that, to me, are meaningless. I like it when Sims do things that are closer to imitating real life since it is supposed to be a life simulator. TS/TS2/TS3 never was an all-out parody of life but TS4 is. You prefer TS4, I prefer TS3. Two completely different target audiences.

While I 'staged' a playable prom, I watched my non-active Sim Kanyin scare his ex-romantic interest Velvet. I then directed my active Sim Chi to convince Kanyin, his younger brother, to talk to her. So he did and I have no idea what they talked about as there were no speech bubbles but immediately after she stormed over to Jean, Chi's girlfriend and Kanyin's ex-girlfriend to argue. After that, Jean literally ran across the room and felt humilated. I also found it interesting how she kept thinking of the chocolate fountain as I know chocolate helps to put me in a better mood. Talk about drama. Now that is the kind of autonomy that is well-done and meaningful concerning the genre.
    Screenshot-3223.jpg
    Screenshot-3235.jpg
    Screenshot-3243.jpg
    Screenshot-3258.jpg
    Screenshot-3265.jpg

Another example is when my Chi autonomously flirted with Andreia and Yoshi told his girlfriend. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFjVDW-LEk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0VvhJOKks

TS3 is like an interactable soap opera and I am the director. Whereas TS4 you do not direct the game, the game directs you. No freedom, limited creativity and imagination = No fun and boring.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    Doesn't bother me, I'm way more disappointed that there's no small pets. I loved my snakes and birds.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    I don't mean to double post if this will end up being one.

As already mentioned, I also feel that The Sims is about OPTIONS. Giving players the control to play the way they want is key for the many different play styles. This is one reason why TS4 is the worst, to me, is because it literally does not care at all to incorporate the freedom and creativity as was the case in previous iterations.

How do you build up a foundation for a game like The Sims (Builders, World Creators, CAS, CASt, CAP, and the many differences in how one plays in LIVE mode, etc.) where it has everything for everyone to now it only caters to a certain few? That is just wrong on so many levels! This history means nothing because it all went out the window with everything else that is not 'their' vision. So what even is The Sims then? If it is not our vision together then it's not a game I'm interested in since my feedback is unwanted, therefore non-existent.

I see the me, me, me mentality. But what about US? No? Of course not. Action speaks louder than words.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    What a let down for players who were so happy about looking forward to create stories where they have to control the pets. Sigh!
    I always found pets boring in the sims 2 and the sims 3 but my pets in the sims 3 lasted longer. Since they have made it incredibly restrictive, I really hope the pets are more fun to interact with compared to the previous games. The world looks really lovely and for that I intend to get this pack...probably on a sale. Does anyone know if there are small pets?
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I'm honestly happy about that. I loved S2 Pets more than S3.
  • Options
    cey5cey5 Posts: 79 Member
    only a cat and a dog and we can't even control them? cool
  • Options
    WildkittiWildkitti Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm 50/50 on this.

I am disappointed that the controlling of pets is gone, but at the same time I don't mind if does mean animals are more realistic. TS3 they pretty much were furry little people and too humanized, seriously they got 'married'? That made it a hassle for my sims who made a living off breeding and selling top racehorses.

I hope toddlers can interact with pets, and puppies and kittens actually do stuff like be trained. TS3 they pretty much ran around being adorable fluffballs until they aged up so you can train them, walk them etc.

Pets just better actually take care of themselves, TS3 my pets never ate until they were starving unless I made them. Even though I had more then one food dishes out for them full of food.

I do hope we have to train our pets, like cats to use a litter box and use a scratching post. That's what happens when you own pets.

One more thing, walking dogs in TS3 took forever, while it was nice to actually see your sim walking the dog, they did it so dam slowly took the whole day to reach the damm park.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    edited August 2017
    I don't mind to be honest, even though we could played with them in The Sims 3, they were extremely limited in what we could do with that I found it pointless. :\

I mean, Dogs in this EP look like they can do allot more but Cats.... not so much.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Oh thank god.
    I really hated controlling pets because they felt like a real chore as I couldn't just leave them to it as often they'd nearly starve to death. Plus that's what's fun about pets there is no way of knowing what they'll be doing next.
  • Options
    WingardimLeviosaWingardimLeviosa Posts: 204 Member
    I'm happy about it. Sims 3 pets sucked, especially horses.
    C0gfE.gif
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I find it better for me not to be able to control pets honestly.

Can't control my own. XD So, it's nice to see them with free will and act upon their own. Nice to see some improvements on creating pets not to mention seems like there will be some wild animals in it?

I saw a fox in the trailer along with a dog. Seems to be a hound. Pfft, the fox and the hound reference? I see what you did there.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    acebuilderacebuilder Posts: 8 New Member
    I would rather my pet just be a pet. So not playable is the sure way to have a pet.
  • Options
    korsetkorset Posts: 398 Member
    the fact i cant control them or have the possibility to makes this a no buy for me
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Why is no one else upset at the lack of being able to control pets in the upcoming expansion? Why are we being limited in a game we are supposed to have full creativity and control over? I feel like everyone drank the Kool-Aid and thinks this is a great idea. I'm not convinced. I had free will in Sims 3 but NOT free will here in Sims 4 for my pet? Every new release feels like a step back and a slap in the face.

Also, that presentation video was bizarre. The audience was dead. That "celebrity dog" bit was awkward. The lady speaking sounded nervous. It felt uncomfortable for me as a viewer.

What in the world is going on?!

Because we really dont care. I honestly have better, more interesting things to do in my sims game than to tell my dog to poop. And to be honest, I prefer it this way. It adds something interesting to the game. The most bizarre things to happen in my game always happen when i'm not in control.

And wow, great to throw Lyndsay under the bus. She may have been nervous, but she did an overall good job and it's really nothing to be negative about.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    not that I disliked TS2 pets, but I feel like there should be some sort of evolution in how much you CAN do. Plus I don't trust AI autonomy in TS4.

Didn't you know...? Offering controllable Pets and simultaneously having realistic AI for Pets are obviously mutually exclusive....because reasons.

Because budget and resources.

Fixed it for ya.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png