March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions for SimGuruGraham about SP development

NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
Some questions about various subjects :

How are the prices and need values for the objects chosen ? Do you have an average price for each type of object ? Do you take the style of the object into account ? Is it more a super complex mathematic formula, or feeling and experience ?

I love the sound effects in the game. I love to send my Sims bowling just to hear the pins falling, or to the swimming pool to hear the splash. How are these sound effects made ?

Each SPs came with a bunch of new speech bubble and moodlet icons. Who is making them ? Is this something that happen rather late in the process (since they are often related to the gameplay object, I guess so) ?

Could you share some examples of tools that are used to make the content, either external or in-house. I'm not sure if that's something you can share with us, but as a modder, I'm really curious what kind of neat things your tool engineers have come up with!
Post edited by Neia on

Comments

• violetta3violetta3 Posts: 47 Member
    Odd question here to add to the list. Can Auto roofing return to sims 4? Personally I love to build but still cannot grasp how to do roofs well. I loved how in sims 3 there was auto roofing and would love it to return in sims 4. I am sure it is not just me that has the problem with making roofs for houses!
  • OoAtomicKittenoOOoAtomicKittenoO Posts: 47 Member
    Who comes up with the animations? Some are adorable (playing with toddlers) some are flat-out AWESOME (anything having to do with vampires) and some are weird (Sims cheering like they're at a sports game before woohoo). Who's ideas are these? is their a team for that?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    Some questions about various subjects :

How are the prices and need values for the objects chosen ? Do you have an average price for each type of object ? Do you take the style of the object into account ? Is it more a super complex mathematic formula, or feeling and experience ?

I love the sound effects in the game. I love to send my Sims bowling just to hear the pins falling, or to the swimming pool to hear the splash. How are these sound effects made ?

Each SPs came with a bunch of new speech bubble and moodlet icons. Who is making them ? Is this something that happen rather late in the process (since they are often related to the gameplay object, I guess so) ?

Could you share some examples of tools that are used to make the content, either external or in-house. I'm not sure if that's something you can share with us, but as a modder, I'm really curious what kind of neat things your tool engineers have come up with!

Visit Soundbible.com to learn how to make sound effects, some great creators there and many companies and individual people use their sound effects, though I'm sure Maxis probably makes most of their own.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Who comes up with the animations? Some are adorable (playing with toddlers) some are flat-out AWESOME (anything having to do with vampires) and some are weird (Sims cheering like they're at a sports game before woohoo). Who's ideas are these? is their a team for that?

Adding to this, how do you create your animations? Are they made from scratch, or do you use motion capture and real life actors to create them?

I remember seeing a behind the scenes video for TS3 where they were filming some of the Guru's play acting out some of the animations for the game for the animators to reference. :lol:
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
    Thanks @Neia and others - some good questions in here regarding game development. I actually wouldn't be the best one to answer most of these, but we're hoping to have you hear from other members of the team as part of this project, and let them share information about the disciplines they work in. I'm going to forward this thread along to @SimGuruDrake so she's aware :)

When I have some free time, I'll drop back in and answer ones that I can specifically speak to.
  • violetta3violetta3 Posts: 47 Member
    Do you remember in sims 2 how you could choose to what gender the sim is attracted? And choose few things that they find attractive about certain sims? Like blond hair, brown eyes and such? And then in sims 3 how you could choose fav food and colour? I been missing that in sims 4 really badly and a lot of cool stuff could be done with that.

For example if your MALE seem likes other male sims and is being hitted by a female sim then that sim could feel unconformable or it could be akward. Or if you have a sim that likes brown eyes and blond hair and the other sim likes black hair blue eyes and both of them matches their liking it could be easier to flirt?

Or if you are eating your favourite food the sim could be extra happy. Or if the sim is eating food that you can choose that they "hate" for example they could not eat it or refuse to eat it just have a negative moodleit from it.

Personally I think it would be great to see this come back to sims 4 with little ungradion and development. It would bring soo much more to the game play!
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    To further the OPs discussion, is the community SP taking longer to develop due to voting and all?
    I thought it was taking around the same amount of time, because you (Graham) said one of the reasons for this project was to show how long it took to make a SP. I had mentioned this in another thread and someone replied saying that this project is taking longer than normal because of the voting process.
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I would also like to know how the prices and need values are being chosen. Never thought about it before, but now I am very curious to know wether there is some kind of dicision process for that.

I would like to add some questions. I have always had a great interest in languages and thefore I have always been curious about Simlish, the language the Sims speak. How were the words for that language chosen? Does some kind of grammar exist? Who are the voice actors? How did they learn to pronounce Simlish?
  • retr0retr0 Posts: 3 New Member
    How about the cars....and the interaction to car or socialize about car or racing with another sims with the new place for racing like a track and even the skill to be a good racer
    @SimGuruDrake
    Hope it will be
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    @violetta3 wrote: »
    Odd question here to add to the list. Can Auto roofing return to sims 4? Personally I love to build but still cannot grasp how to do roofs well. I loved how in sims 3 there was auto roofing and would love it to return in sims 4. I am sure it is not just me that has the problem with making roofs for houses!

Then, learn it. :joy: I depended too much on auto roofing too and so I had to just learn it from scratch for TS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_0oQfMT5I
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • TurloughdudeTurloughdude Posts: 662 Member
    Will there be any new factories in the future? I'm getting bored with this cupcake factory.
  • Sweetpooh1993Sweetpooh1993 Posts: 112 Member
    Does anyone know how to get rid of ghosts living in random households in some Sims 4 worlds?
    [img][/img]LD5LMSt.jpg
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    In regards to animations, I'm curious, do you have to recreate an animation entirely or almost entirely to make it compatible with sitting, swimming and etc.?
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
    edited July 2017
    Does anyone know how to get rid of ghosts living in random households in some Sims 4 worlds?

If they are in households, go to Manage World (Map view) and at the top right, there's a household management button. Then, just open it and delete the ghost families.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • Sweetpooh1993Sweetpooh1993 Posts: 112 Member
    Oooooooohhhhh okay! Thank you so much!
    [img][/img]LD5LMSt.jpg
    Oooooooohhhhh okay! Thank you so much!

No problem. :)
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • FurkeanFurkean Posts: 177 Member
    I have a question for @SimGuruGraham will we be able to wash curtains, sheets, shoes etc. in the washing machines or will it be clothes only?
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Furkean wrote: »
    I have a question for @SimGuruGraham will we be able to wash curtains, sheets, shoes etc. in the washing machines or will it be clothes only?

If shoes (sneakers) can be washed in the washing machine, can there be a nice satisfying thump, thump sound when they are run through the dryer afterwards? Or will curtains/sheets hold in enough water that they have to be run through the dryer a second time, like RL?
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
    Furkean wrote: »

This one is quick enough for me to pop in and answer ;)

Dirty laundry is going to be generated when Sims change their outfits, so the laundry that you'll be cleaning will really just be clothes. You may see some visuals like sheets or towels hanging from the clothesline, but you aren't going to be going around collecting them from the bed, bathroom, etc. You'll pick laundry up from the hamper, and take it to be washed.
  • TrixsyTrixsy Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm not sure if this is where to ask this, but can we get more hair choices for the guys? I like anime hair that has spikes and falls in their face. Maybe we can get an anime hair pack for anime fans.
    Here are examples of images that can be Googled to see good hair for guys:

Akane from Divine Gate
    Rin from Blue Exorcist
    Gilbert Nightray from Pandora Hearts
    Junichirou Tanizaki from Bungo Stray Dogs
    Osamu Dazai from Bungo Stray Dogs
    Natsu from Fairytail
    Evans from Soul Eater
  • jonesboy22jonesboy22 Posts: 64 Member
    @SimGuruGraham Why do sims autonomously choose social interactions even when autonomy is turned off?
  • Lexit13Lexit13 Posts: 2 New Member
    Can we get weather and MERMAIDS back pretty please?! House boats were also pretty awesome.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    jonesboy22 wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham Why do sims autonomously choose social interactions even when autonomy is turned off?

I think I can answer this. I believe there is an controller outside of the sims' autonomy that pushes them to do socially appropriate activities - a bit like a shy child's mom gently shoving them in the back saying "go on over and say hi to Uncle Andy" even when they preferred to just stand by their mom and do nothing.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    What interactions are you noticing this with? I thought in most cases, if autonomy is off, the sim will only be a "receiver" of social interactions from a sim who has autonomy on, but can't be the initiator.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    What interactions are you noticing this with? I thought in most cases, if autonomy is off, the sim will only be a "receiver" of social interactions from a sim who has autonomy on, but can't be the initiator.

Sims won't initiate chatting on their own when free will is off. But soon as they are locked into a conversation, all bets are off :/

Once communication has been initiated (either by being approached by a game controlled sim or player directed) sims will choose their own topics even with free will off. And the game considers everything in the chat menu a conversation topic. I play with free will off period and my sims have been known to fight, toss drinks into each others faces and even woohoo on their own, simply because these things are in the list of communication topics. It can be very annoying at times.