March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Custom Content Question

Well I just got Sims 4 and I want to download Custom Content but when I do I get this message that says "There is no application set to open the document" and it gives me the option to open the app store, cancel, or choose an application. Does anyone have any clue as to what I need to do to fix this?? Thank you so much :)

Comments

• OblongamanOblongaman Posts: 214 Member
    I tried the same thing and it puzzled me for a while......

You don't need to do anything other than move the package file to this folder : Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Mods
    Then just launch the game. It'll ask you to confirm the use of mods, click ok and it should all work.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    It depends on what you are downloading and how the file is compressed. If the file has a ".package" extension, it is ready to be placed in your Mods folder (found Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4). If the file is compressed as a ".zip" file or ".rar" you will need a program like Stuffit Expander to uncompress the file and make it usable in your game.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • itsugitsug Posts: 1,613 Member
    What about scriptmods?
    To clarify to some people, the mods that says in the installation instructions to leave the files in the zip files and not to extract them.
    Admin and on Support team of MC CmD @ Discord - https://discord.gg/Jcc8uRW
    MC CmD is available at https://deaderpool-mccc.com/
    Those are instructions for Windows users only and not the Mac OS. We have to extract all files and place the .package files in the Mods folder for them to work.
  • mari_fer42mari_fer42 Posts: 3 New Member
    So I put the .package files in the mods folder but when I actually started playing the game, the hair color was all weird. They looked blonde, when it was suppose to be black and the clothe looked weird as well. Any idea as to why this is happening?? I really appreciate the help :)
    "> @Tremayne4260 said:
    > Those are instructions for Windows users only and not the Mac OS. We have to extract all files and place the .package files in the Mods folder for them to work."
    Have you updated your game to the May patch? If not, please do so and see if this corrected your problem.
  • lillyb246lillyb246 Posts: 1 New Member
    so when i had sims 3 my laptop bugged out and wouldnt let me open package files so i tried editing it and opening it with another file and it didnt work an now its messed up the sims 4 package files two they dont include in my game and its annoying someone help me fix this ive been trying to fix it for months
    You need to find a free app that allows you to "unzip" packages like Stuffit Expander. Never, ever edit Sims 3 or 4 package extensions (example ".package") as the game will not recognize those changes. You can change the names (the front part of the file name) to edit out characters like "!, @, #, $" which will make your game run more smoothly.
  • JazzpuzJazzpuz Posts: 83 Member
    Just thought I would try summarizing for anyone who sees this:
    You're not supposed to open the .package files, you just put them directly in the Mods folder (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Mods).
    If the extension is something like .zip or .rar, you need to open it with an extractor-app (I use The Unarchiver which is free on App Store). Once you have done that you will have the .package or .ts4script file you can put in the Mods folder.
    As long as everything needed for it to work is there (sometimes you need to download the mesh, or "blueprint/model" if you like, from someone/somewhere else), and you have Mods/Script mods enabled in the Settings-menu, it will show up. Remember that Mods are automaticly disabled after every game update.

If the CC looks weird, check that you game is running latest update. If it's all up to date, check where you downloaded it from - maybe there is an update there or maybe you forgot to download the mesh. Sometimes, creators borrow the mesh from someone else, and general rule of etiquette is to link to the creator of the mesh to download, rather than include it in the download with the recolor. Also, in my experience, some CCs just look weird with high graphics setting. There's probably a reason/fix but I haven't really bothered to figure out that yet.
    Very nicely summarized. :)
  • SimsDalmationSimsDalmation Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello simmers, I am having some issues with importing my CustomContent and saves onto my new Mac. I have been playing Sims 4 on a windows PC in the past but I have recently brought a Mac and don't know how to import all my saved games and sims (I have had a lot of sims past and I am not willing to give it away) all my CC and Mods too. Any help? :)
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Hello simmers, I am having some issues with importing my CustomContent and saves onto my new Mac. I have been playing Sims 4 on a windows PC in the past but I have recently brought a Mac and don't know how to import all my saved games and sims (I have had a lot of sims past and I am not willing to give it away) all my CC and Mods too. Any help? :)

Copy over the The Sims 4 folder from your PC and put it in the Documents > Electronic Arts folder. Delete the Options.ini file as you want the game to create a new one based on your Macs spec.
    apple-signature.png
  • PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    Woah. This was a long time ago but basically just drag your custom content into the custom content folder. Unless its a ZIP package you don't have to click on it.
    Hope this helps for anyone else lurking this thread! :)

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
  • fashionforlovefashionforlove Posts: 1 New Member
    I apologize, I've never posted here before so I'm not sure how to post a question of my own...I'm having CC issues as well. My Mac doesn't seem to want to acknowledge any .package files. I can't seem to open them, it's like they don't exist. They used to show up as blue folders on my desktop, but now they are white files. I had to download the "Open Any Files" app on the app store just to open the files. Before I downloaded that app my Mac would ask what application I wanted to open the .package files with. I never had that issue before, they would just open on their own. Any application I would choose to "open" the files with wouldn't open the file. My Mac wouldn't even give me the option to open the file with that application. It's really weird because I just downloaded lots off of TSR the other day and they worked perfectly...I have no idea what's up or what caused this change. If anyone could please help me figure out this issue I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much! xx
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @fashionforlove You don’t open .package files, you put them straight in your Mods folder.
    apple-signature.png
  • Sammy9509Sammy9509 Posts: 2 New Member
    Okai, so I'm on the same page as Fashionforlove in the way that I'm new and have no idea how to put in my own question.. But I'm struggling in the sense that I can open my downloads and .packages and the bigger part of my downloads will open. BUT then when the house (I mostly struggle with houses) is places and everything is right, some color on the house is gone and windows won't appear and the garage door is missing.. I mean COME ON! (Joey Tribbiani, anyone?) So I have no files outside or wrongfully placed, they are separated in tray and mods the way they should be, there are no .rar or .zip files. What in the woorld is wrong?
    Are you sure you have all the correct files? Are you downloading simply from the Gallery or from various other sites? Most blogs and websites will credit and link to the original creator's website/blog so you can download what is needed from there. I usually make myself a list before I download any lots with a lot of CC.
  • Sammy9509Sammy9509 Posts: 2 New Member
    I should have.. I usually download from simsresource and any links that the creator links with it.. So it should be right?
    :) Here's what I would do. I'd go back and find the lot on TSR and make sure that you write down all the CC and who created it and visit their home pages. I've had to do this myself with lots I've downloaded in the past. ;)
  • millsmollsmillsmolls Posts: 133 Member
    Have you repaired the game?
    Origin ID: Th3SimsFactory
    Please add me on Origin!
  • rh2006fanrh2006fan Posts: 49 Member
    Ok.. I'm in the same boat as @fashionforlove . My game won't acknowledge the mods or CC and it has in the past. Do I need to get rid of the original .rar and .zip folders? I've tried everything I could think of to resolve this issue apart from uninstalling and reinstalling Origin.
  • rh2006fanrh2006fan Posts: 49 Member
    > @rh2006fan said:
    > Ok.. I'm in the same boat as @fashionforlove . My game won't acknowledge the mods or CC and it has in the past. Do I need to get rid of the original .rar and .zip folders? I've tried everything I could think of to resolve this issue apart from uninstalling and reinstalling Origin.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Origin to no avail.. :disappointed:
    Every piece of CC and Mods should end in the .package extension. If you are using files in the game with a .rar or .zip extension, those files need to be uncompressed using a program like Stuffit Expander or something similar. Once the files have a .package extension, you can then place those files in the proper folders in Sims 4 to work.