Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I will never buy The Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    Well it has become popular to revamp these golden oldie franchises so who knows, maybe in the near future someone will pick it up. I might just have to send an email to Paradox Interactive....!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I do have a feeling the 'real' gamers do sort of look down on The Sims (I have one living in my house ahem). It's considered a game for kids and women? But &@#*%grrrr so what, why wouldn't women be a serious target group? We are when companies want to sell shoes and clothes and perfume, but not when they want to sell games. I'd so love it when a company would take this amazing open ended sandbox idea and start creating it for grownups. Oh, ETA, and with an equal focus on males in the game, girls do like boys you know, we don't only want to dress up girls.

Son: "I thought maybe Skyrim could be something for you but neh, too much fighting."
    Yes, you're darn well right there, fighting, I find it so boring... :disappointed:

Me too. You don't want to know how often my brother - stereotype nerd with a superpower PC and tons of semi-realistic playstation games - asks me why I 'still' play that sims game. 'I like it' is usually my answer.

He tried to let me play some other, free games, but those things really plum. I'm not too allergic to fighting and action but from experience I know any game with difficult levels I can't get through anyway because of some weird reason is wasted money anyway.

It's not so much that I am against it, I just find the clickclickclickclickclickclick aspect of it utterly boring. I remember watching LOTR and everytime the fights start I fast forward it for a bit :p Not because I'm afraid of blood or against it, but it's just so much of the same thing. I miss the variety I do have in my Sims game. And fighting and killing in fact could be a bit more daring in Sims; I do find it a bit strange that a simmer can kill but a sim cannot. I'm not a part of their world, they are.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    Niche market? You guys must live in a different world than I do because literally every single person I know has played the sims either in the past or recently, even people who aren't gamers at all in general. Sims was by far the most popular game around here during my entire childhood. It's still popular enough that you can easily find physical copies of the sims 3 at stores that sell games, displayed on prominent spots. I even still see sims 2 games sometimes. There's a reason why EA is able to sell an 8 year old game for 40 euros still. In my experience sims is one of the most succesful games ever created. Hardcore gamers might not play it as much, but that group is wayyy smaller than the general 'casual' public, or simply every teen or kid out there with a computer.

Of course I never looked at statistics but I highly doubt that my personal surroundings (and Ive lived in 2 places in the Netherlands, belgium and even Seoul) are the exception compared to everyone else

Probably a misunderstanding but I think a re-read of my post will clarify what was actually said. Unless you were referring to Mikezumi. However, guys is plural and we are the only two recently who mentioned a niche market.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    This is why I have started backing up my individual sim save files. I do it when they get married. I make a folder with their last names, take a picture, and then add their sim saves into the folder. When they had a child I make a folder for that child, age them up to YA, make any necessary changes, and then add that sim save into that folder. I used to try to save the world save file, but most the time that does work because the file won't work. Dunno why, it just happens that way.
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    @JoAnne65 @Mikezumi I am an 'older' player as well, and I would give anything to see a mature, well-thought-out take on The Sims franchise.

EA seemingly missed the memo that those of us who grew up loving TS1 and 2 are now adults; TS3 was a step in the right direction, but 4 was a massive disappointment/so obviously a mobile game that was only ported to PC because of corporate greed.

When I say 'mature', I'm not talking anything that would raise the rating to 18+ or anything, but just a more adult approach to stuff like relationships, death, etc.

I also live with a "real" gamer who looks down on my Sims obsession. He says things like, "you should play [insert game here]" or "don't tell me I built you a high-end PC just so you could play The Sims"; I simply tell him that "I like it", and he'll let it drop for a bit.

Actually, I say: "I like it. I'd rather play games where I have some element of control over my characters, as opposed to an interactive movie in which the story belongs to someone else. I feel more attached to characters I've created."

I've played mod-free since TS3's release. And, while I've encountered a few glitches, even the game-breaking ones have never completely ruined my experience.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Options
    @lauravonawesome I can 100% relate to what you're saying.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited August 2017
    @JoAnne65 @Mikezumi I am an 'older' player as well, and I would give anything to see a mature, well-thought-out take on The Sims franchise.

EA seemingly missed the memo that those of us who grew up loving TS1 and 2 are now adults; TS3 was a step in the right direction, but 4 was a massive disappointment/so obviously a mobile game that was only ported to PC because of corporate greed.

When I say 'mature', I'm not talking anything that would raise the rating to 18+ or anything, but just a more adult approach to stuff like relationships, death, etc.

I also live with a "real" gamer who looks down on my Sims obsession. He says things like, "you should play [insert game here]" or "don't tell me I built you a high-end PC just so you could play The Sims"; I simply tell him that "I like it", and he'll let it drop for a bit.

Actually, I say: "I like it. I'd rather play games where I have some element of control over my characters, as opposed to an interactive movie in which the story belongs to someone else. I feel more attached to characters I've created."

I've played mod-free since TS3's release. And, while I've encountered a few glitches, even the game-breaking ones have never completely ruined my experience.

@lauravonawesome , Are we married to the same guy?? My husband is directly responsible for my Sims 3 habit, he could have skipped the request for the base game and a few EPs on my Christmas list, he could have said no to the request for a gaming laptop specifically for Sims 3 playing, I only requested it after he suggested buying me a new laptop for over a year. He makes little comments all the time about how I could better use my time, which is true but I really like playing what can I say... Two of my major league gamer sons ALWAYS make comments about Sims, telling me I should play [insert game title here] too! Sims is very much looked down upon in this house.

Most of the glitches I encounter are mildly annoying but don't stop me from wanting to play. I play completely Mod/CC free.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @Charlottesmom I'll have to ask my other half if he's got a twin brother somewhere lol.

Hubs wanted to build me a gaming PC for ages, though I think he was hoping it would get him a teammate for some of his online games. But they aren't my speed at all. I don't think he has any idea how hard it is for casual gamers like us to switch gears and play one of those hardcore games... We'd get stomped on!

My Sims games have been in my life way longer than he has; he doesn't complain about how I use my time (seeing as I haven't been able to do much since I shattered my ankle 6 months ago)... But, because he's a hardcore/professional-level gamer, he doesn't see the appeal of casual games like The Sims.

A lot of the games he plays look nice, but they're super competitive or involve you playing someone else's characters or story; basically interactive movies. That's not my thing at all. I tried to play The Witcher series, at his recommendation; it's very pretty, but the characters and world are someone else's; none of it's mine. And that's what I like about the Sims games: I have 100% control, and it's all mine.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @lauravonawesome Absolutely! I don't want anything with an 18+ rating. I also don't want a game that dictates how I play. No quests for me, no enforced parenting rules or morals and definitely no story to follow. One of the reasons I don't care about the back stories that come with premade sims and families is that a sim's story, for me, doesn't start until I start playing them. I just want a sand box game where I am god and make the decisions about the lives of my pixel babies. It's one of the reasons I use mods.

Sorry about your ankle. I hope you are up and about again soon *hugs*
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    To the OP, Sims 3 is a different beast then Sims 4. As such the reasons you give from Sims 3 shouldn't really affect the decision of if you buy Sims 4. Personally, I feel there's valid reasons not to get Sims 4. My first impression during the 14 day trial wasn't very good.

Granted, I now have the base game due to Origin Access. There were enough games I enjoy or want to enjoy that it was worth paying for a 1 year subscription IMO. Since it's included, I figured I may as well give the game another shot. And honestly, my revised opinion is still not that good. After giving more of a fair shake, the game isn't as bad as I initially thought. But unlike TS3 I find it kind of boring. And the fact TS4 force feeds you what emotion your sim is feeling (which can change at the drop of a hat) makes every sim feel schizophrenic.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Sad to say, but I think the OP has "left the building." This thread is almost a month old and they don't appear to have logged in to the forums since then. :/
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Threads like this take on a life of their own even if the OP never returns. Perhaps the OP just wanted to vent and had no intention of discussing and I totally understand that.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I do like quests in this game, but I want them to be quests I decide to do myself, in my own time, and I want there to be some thinking involved. That's why I like WA so much. Ticking checklists isn't questing for me. A sandbox game like Sims is perfect to add an element of questing (like exploring hidden worlds or places), but not with checklists. For me having to unlock things isn't a bad ingredient (I know it is for others but I actually really like that, in IP for instance), as long as they add a cheat for those who don't like it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I don't mind quests: World Adventures is my favourite EP and Medieval is my favourite game in the franchise... Would have loved to see it get the full Sims treatment though (control over families, legacy-style play etc.).

Sometimes, I'll start a legacy game with a pre-made family... but it's only when I start to tell their story for myself that I really care about what happens to them. I'll also use characters from my own original writing (ie novels I'm working on), but I just love coming up with new OCs and having complete creative control.

I create families and give them interesting stories; in my Twinbrook save, I created a bunch of OCs and gave them cool stories 'cause that's a thing you can do in this game lol.

For example:

Rodney is super awkward and has never had a girlfriend, but what if he could build himself one? His LTW is More Than a Machine, so I'm going to have him build himself a Plumbot girlfriend and give her sentience.

Warren is a politician whose career in Starlight Shores came to an abrupt end when his affair with his very married boss, Brandon Woods, was exposed. So he moved to Twinbrook and is trying to shake his reputation as a home-wrecking monster.

Ruby is an architectural designer who's always loved art and finally quit her stuffy office job in order to pursue her dream.

Stacy and Fallon are two sisters who couldn't be any more different: one is Twinbrook's fastest-rising doctor, and the other is a party animal who still doesn't know what she plans to do with her life.

Erik and his wife, Meghan, have been trying for a baby for years, without success. She runs a daycare centre out of their home while he spends his days down at City Hall, hard at work. It's causing trouble in their marriage, so there's no knowing whether or not they'll stay together or go their separate ways.

And those are just a few of them. Even one of my NaNoWriMo projects was based on something that happened during a legacy save I was playing in Midnight Hollow, involving a born-in-game heiress and a couple of EA premades from Uni Life.

@Mikezumi thank you; I hope I'm up and about soon too :)

• Options
    @lauravonawesome WA is also my favourite EP but not for the travel or the quests. I love the nectar making and martial arts that it added, among other things.
    I keep telling myself I should try TSM but haven't got around to it for some reason.
    What you do sounds very interesting but not my cup of tea. I simply don't have it in me to think of stories let alone play my sims following a story line. I am all about watching how the genetics pan out throughout the whole town, not just my main family, over the course of generations.
    I love how TS3 works for many different playing styles :)

• Options
    ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member

OK, first off ... "played mod-free"?!?!? I'm impressed! I've played with ErrorTrap and Overwatch installed for so long I'm kind of too afraid to play without them now. :cold_sweat: I know I always say this but I would also add Saver as an essential mod, especially if your game is becoming error-prone - it could make the difference between only losing 30 minutes of game time or 2 or3 hours. :+1:

I have to agree that the TS4 development appears to have been targeted almost exclusively at the younger age range, where life (by which I mean 'real' life'!) is often more about promoting yourself and getting attention rather than actually contributing and being rewarded by helping others (yes, I know, gross generalisation but hopefully you get what I mean, 'reality' TV anyone? :)) In TS4 it feels more like having to be the centre of your own world rather than experiencing a world full of other people amongst whom you find a path for yourself.

Things like going to the shops, venues being visited by other people and being lively without you being there, walking around and taking in the open world ...

I also have played all the games in the series and what I love is the ability to use it exactly as I want; to tell stories, create interesting/weird/funny characters, build houses/businesses/worlds ... y'know just express and share my creativity in many different ways. Sure TS4 does allow some of this but by making some of the difficult/frustrating things in TS3 easier (CAS, build mode) they have simplified them so much it often feels like I'm just rearranging someone else's toys rather than creating my own. :(

Likewise with the increased emphasis on achievements and objectives. Sure we had them in TS3 but not getting promoted every day, or having a gold star party felt like my characters were behaving like, well, like 'real people'. You don't have to chase these objectives in TS4 but not getting exactly the right combination of tasks completed can feel like you've failed as a player which is quite a different sensation to engaging with the characters in your world as they experience the highs and lows in their lives.

Now, I have actually bought TS4 (It was cheap and I felt I should at least see if I could live with it) and there is quite a bit of good stuff in there. There are still plenty of interactions between Sims that are great fun to watch (I'm particularly enjoying some of the autonomous romantic interactions between my main couple) and although I've only just started playing with Toddlers, they do seem to be really well done. Also, to be fair, the developers (and that doesn't mean the bean-counters at EA) do seem really pro-active in addressing reported bugs in what must still be an extremely complex game environment, though, perhaps, not as complex as TS3.

Unfortunately, compared to a fully loaded TS3 game, the TS4 base game does feel very limited and, as yet, I'm not convinced that adding all the EPs and SPs and GPs will give me the sense of creative freedom that I have with TS3. :(

Even one of my NaNoWriMo projects was based on something that happened during a legacy save I was playing in Midnight Hollow, involving a born-in-game heiress and a couple of EA premades from Uni Life.
    Oh, I do love these forums! Hearing from all sorts of people living different lives can really open up our minds to new and exciting possibilities.

I'd never heard of National Novel Writing Month before. I enjoy creating stories but often find the actual process of writing them out very difficult and frustrating (trying to find exactly the right words for the ideas in my head) so it often takes me hours to write out the simplest thing. Which is why I eventually gave up on blogging my Sims legacy and moved to Youtube instead. So, this "write a novel in a month" forum sounds very challenging but might be just the impetus I need and as I plan to retire next year could give me something to work at rather than just playing TS3 all day! :wink:
  • Options
    bee1977bee1977 Posts: 613 Member
    While I do agree with many, many of the opinions and views in this thread I have learned that it doesn't matter what game, what platform or what style it is, there are always going to be glitches/bugs/issues that will arise. Nothing is ever perfect, even in the gaming world and it is bound to happen. Even some of the best games have small bugs or glitches that could get annoying but it is all in how you handle it. However, I have never stopped playing a game because of the bugs that occur. I don't know how many times my Sims 3 save files have been corrupted, and although many may not share my same attitude, starting over really didn't give me that much of a headache because I love the game so much that starting over is just as fun as continuing on a past game. Sometimes you decide to do things differently than you did in the previous game and with all of the mods & custom content out there now, the possibilities are endless ;)
    Origin: BeeC1977
    Twitter: @Bee77
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Unlurking to say I'm happy to see World Adventure love from other simmers. <3 It's my favorite EP and I like that you don't really have to do quests, you can just visit and buy souvenirs. Besides, without WA, my tomb raider sim would have nothing to do. :D
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I know this isn't a What's Your Favorite EP thread, but mine is still Uni and it's similar to WA in that it adds tons of content and one doesn't have to actually send sims through the university experience to enjoy it. At the time I installed that EP none of my sims were even close to being young YAs (there was an age gap there in all of my households for various reasons), and it wouldn't have made sense to send the older ones at that point. I played for months before getting around to higher education and the actual Uni World thing but didn't feel like I was missing out on anything at all during that time. Many of these EPs were so well fleshed-out that it was like having a whole new game to play with each install. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @Mikezumi @ajaxpost it's pretty incredible to see so many different types of players present on the same thread. I love reading other people's Sim blogs or watching Youtube videos~ I could never do either of those. And I'm horrible at keeping pace with large families; I prefer single Sims or small families and creating interesting stories to build on. We all have different strengths, and it's cool that there's something in this game for all of us. :)

@Odonata68 one of my favourite Sims has the Adventurous trait, so she's constantly... well, adventuring!

@igazor I love University as well, for many of the reasons you mentioned. I can't stand social groups though, and I'd give anything to get rid of them completely (or, at the very least, limit them to the Uni students). That may or may not have been another reason I made that thread about mods the other day~ if there was one that would annihilate the social group feature, I would put it in my game immediately. :lol:

• Options
    I'm giving TS4 a more fair shake now, and I do have to admit it does have it's good points. Especially if you have a sim that isn't intent on death by over exercise in their first day. But it has some bizarre things missing. No burglars or criminal career path that I can see, but there's a law enforcement career? There can be house fires, but there's no fire department?
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    I know what you mean @Rflong7. I want to love Sims 4 as much as I love Sims 3. But it comes cross as... bland and lifeless. Yes in Sims 3 public locations can often be deserted. This is especially true during common work hours such as the stereotypical 9-5 work day. But the towns feel alive. Sims go to the park and have a picnic regardless of if you're at the park or not. A Sim Festival will draw an audience regardless of if your sim is there or not. The Goth and Alto family will both go to the Bistro for supper even if your sim doesn't head there. And if they get in a fight, it wasn't entirely for your viewing pleasure. Sims throw parties and go to venues on their own. Friends call you up to chat, or ask if they can come over, or to invite you over. But if you ignore them for a while, they stop trying to talk with you. The town feels alive, like your sim is part of an actual community. One that you can participate in as much or as little as you desire.

Sims 4 on the other hand lacks that feeling of it actually being a community. Oh sure, there's always people where ever you go. And if there aren't any when you first arrive, they'll start showing up within a minute. In your sim's neighborhood nobody goes jogging, until you step outside. Then EVERYONE in the neighborhood is out jogging and ready for you to interact with. If your sim is home alone, friends will regularly show up to visit in order for your sim to have someone to interact with. But if there's a 2nd sim in the household, friends stop visiting. Instead of coming across like a living community, Sims 4 comes across as supporting actors in a TV show. You know, they only appear and do things when the main cast is on screen. Otherwise they may as well not exist.
  • Options
    @Faerie197 @Rflong7 I agree with your statements re: TS4. I wanted so much to love it the way I did 2 and 3, but it's just so anemic by comparison.

Like many others, I own TS4 as well~ I have the base game, Get Together, and Get to Work, plus a couple of GPs (Spa Day and Outdoor Retreat, if I recall correctly). Sure, I get bored easily and am usually back to 3 within an hour or so, but my OCD doesn't like how the Sim panel is set up: compared to previous entries, it doesn't look 'right', and I have a hard time playing more than one Sim.

I love TS3's open world, and CaSt was the best thing ever introduced in a Sims game; not having it really does hinder my creative spirit (I'm not a fan of building as it is, but at least TS3 made it interesting). As for TS2, it was pretty groundbreaking for its time and genre~ I believe @igazor mentioned that buying a new EP was like buying a whole new game, and I second that.

At least, in TS2, when random Sims walked by your house, it seemed realistic. And the loading screens were worth it, since wherever you were going had a ton of new and exciting things to do.

• Options
    Although WA is my favourite, I am with @igazor in saying that UL also adds wonderful things to the game without the need to send your sims to the university world. I had forgotten to mention it because I only installed it earlier this year.