Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Doctor Career in GTW?

So I really wanted to try out the Doctor career with one of my sims, and I had high expectations, but they really seem to be letting me down. The sim with the doctor career has the "Connections" reward so she started the career at level 3 or 4, can't remember which. But every time she goes to diagnose and treat a patient, it's almost always wrong! Even if there's only one possible thing to diagnose them with and it's the "compelling diagnosis," I still get the little pop up saying it was ineffective and her work performance goes down. She's about to get demoted because of this, I seriously can't figure it out. Is this a bug or am I just missing something?

Comments

• ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited April 2017
    Are you running tests on the patients before diagnosing them? (X Ray, treadmill, etc.?) You're supposed to be swabbing ears, checking eyes, etc. and in some cases sending them in to do a test or scanning their samples through the machine to get more accurate diagnoses.
    EiFlric.png
  • kierstynh34kierstynh34 Posts: 72 Member
    ts1depot wrote: »
    Are you running tests on the patients before diagnosing them? (X Ray, treadmill, etc.?) You're supposed to be swabbing ears, checking eyes, etc. and in some cases sending them in to do a test or scanning their samples through the machine to get more accurate diagnoses.

Yeah, I don't often do the x-ray or treadmill tests because they almost always fail and they're so time consuming, but I do all of the other interactions I can, that's when it goes from weak diagnosis to compelling diagnosis. But even when it's compelling and there's only one option I can diagnose them with, it's still wrong :/
    edited April 2017
    Oh, I think I'm beginning to figure out what's going on.

Well, I'm still learning the ropes of this career myself (I am only level five), but what I am guessing is that when it comes to Compelling Diagnosis, if you only get one option to choose, you have to run enough tests so that there is more than one illness on the list. The reason is that some sims come in with symptoms that could be for one of a number of illnesses. In a case like that, before you can even make a final diagnosis, you have to first consider which 3-4 diseases he may possibly have. If you try and make a Compelling Diagnosis when there are only one or two illnesses, you will keep getting inaccurate because that would be the same as taking a wild guess.

Later, when you do come up with multiple illnesses and need to make a Compelling Diagnosis, sometimes it helps by looking at the sim to decide which illness to pick. For example, if a sim comes in and keeps giggling like an idiot for no reason, that is usually a clue right there what the illness could be. It's not always that obvious but you will have better luck getting more accurate diagnoses if you take a guess based on how a sim looks and acts.

If you keep running into this problem of failing Compelling Diagnosis no matter what you do, just know that there is also an additional diagnosis that sometimes comes up called "Guaranteed Diagnosis." This is the option that you get if a sim comes in with symptoms that require no guesswork. So if you're trying to fill your work quota to level up, you might for the time being just look for another patient that has Guaranteed Diagnosis as one of the options so you don't feel as if you're constantly hitting a brick wall with Compelling Diagnosis.
    Post edited by ts1depot on
    EiFlric.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    There is a rhyme and reason to how you work on the list. Notice it has three rows of what it would like you to do. Let's say you start on the second row with one patient. That second row may say check temp. When that one clears and is replaced stay within the second row for that particular patient. Do not do the first row or third row on that patient. Stay on the second row if that's where you started with that patient. You will finally see what I mean and why it works.

Starting at a higher level (different problem than the row dispensary) means you must run higher test to get better results no matter what it says but remember to stay within the correct row for the patient you are working on. If you start on the first line, then stay on the first line and wait the instruction to change on the first line etc. For each patient you treat this will help you figure it out.

It's not just a matter of getting the meter 'full' and doing all the things on list it's a matter of which row of instructions you applied to a particular patient. Hope that makes sense.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • basslinewildbasslinewild Posts: 268 Member
    I run all the test possible, then use a guide to make sure I diagnose correctly. :)
    Tessa :)
    Gallery items under : TessaNicolle
    Check out my houses!
  • kierstynh34kierstynh34 Posts: 72 Member

Well, I'm still learning the ropes of this career myself (I am only level five), but what I am guessing is that when it comes to Compelling Diagnosis, if you only get one option to choose, you have to run enough tests so that there is more than one illness on the list. The reason is that some sims come in with symptoms that could be for one of a number of illnesses. In a case like that, before you can even make a final diagnosis, you have to first consider which 3-4 diseases he may possibly have. If you try and make a Compelling Diagnosis when there are only one or two illnesses, you will keep getting inaccurate because that would be the same as taking a wild guess.

Later, when you do come up with multiple illnesses and need to make a Compelling Diagnosis, sometimes it helps by looking at the sim to decide which illness to pick. For example, if a sim comes in and keeps giggling like an plum for no reason, that is usually a clue right there what the illness could be. It's not always that obvious but you will have better luck getting more accurate diagnoses if you take a guess based on how a sim looks and acts.

If you keep running into this problem of failing Compelling Diagnosis no matter what you do, just know that there is also an additional diagnosis that sometimes comes up called "Guaranteed Diagnosis." This is the option that you get if a sim comes in with symptoms that require no guesswork. So if you're trying to fill your work quota to level up, you might for the time being just look for another patient that has Guaranteed Diagnosis as one of the options so you don't feel as if you're constantly hitting a brick wall with Compelling Diagnosis.

That kinda makes sense, but the number of things it could be usually starts at like 3 or 4 and then goes down as I run the tests.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    There is a rhyme and reason to how you work on the list. Notice it has three rows of what it would like you to do. Let's say you start on the second row with one patient. That second row may say check temp. When that one clears and is replaced stay within the second row for that particular patient. Do not do the first row or third row on that patient. Stay on the second row if that's where you started with that patient. You will finally see what I mean and why it works.

Starting at a higher level (different problem than the row dispensary) means you must run higher test to get better results no matter what it says but remember to stay within the correct row for the patient you are working on. If you start on the first line, then stay on the first line and wait the instruction to change on the first line etc. For each patient you treat this will help you figure it out.

It's not just a matter of getting the meter 'full' and doing all the things on list it's a matter of which row of instructions you applied to a particular patient. Hope that makes sense.

That makes sense but seems very weird lol. Can't hurt to give it a try tho.
    I run all the test possible, then use a guide to make sure I diagnose correctly. :)

So do I! I run all the tests possible and use http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/careers/gettowork/doctor/ and always compare the physical symptoms on there to the symptoms the sims are having in-game. But somehow it's still almost always wrong. :(
    edited April 2017
    @kierstynh34, all I can say is that it's probably not running those treadmill and X-Ray tests that is a major part of the issue. You have to run them in many cases regardless of how inconvenient they seem because like I said earlier, those tests are there to help you increase your chances of getting a more accurate diagnosis.

BTW, are you seeing blue alerts that pop up from time to time whenever you run a test? If you're getting those, it's important to pay careful attention to what they say, because they give you important clues about what to do next with a particular patient, as well as how close you are to pinning down a diagnosis. Some might tell you that the tests are inconclusive and that you have to run more tests. Some tell you that it looks like the patient might have an infectious disease and that, once again, more tests are needed. Others will predict how close you are to an accurate diagnosis. So use those alerts as a guide.
    Post edited by ts1depot on
    EiFlric.png
    edited April 2017

The list has nothing to do with the success rate of diagnosing and treating patients. The tasks are just what you have to complete each day during your shift in order to get paid and level up through the career. The more tasks you complete each day, the more you get paid and the higher your job performance. The less you do, the less money you make for that day and the slower you advance.

The only thing onscreen that's relevant to diagnosing and treating patients are the blue alerts that you get when you've finished running a test.
    EiFlric.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Later, when you do come up with multiple illnesses and need to make a Compelling Diagnosis, sometimes it helps by looking at the sim to decide which illness to pick. For example, if a sim comes in and keeps giggling like an plum for no reason, that is usually a clue right there what the illness could be. It's not always that obvious but you will have better luck getting more accurate diagnoses if you take a guess based on how a sim looks and acts.

That kinda makes sense, but the number of things it could be usually starts at like 3 or 4 and then goes down as I run the tests.

That makes sense but seems very weird lol. Can't hurt to give it a try tho.

So do I! I run all the tests possible and use http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/careers/gettowork/doctor/ and always compare the physical symptoms on there to the symptoms the sims are having in-game. But somehow it's still almost always wrong. :(

Let me know if staying on a particular line for a particular patient helps you narrow down what is wrong with the patient. This is how I played it since it came out. And though bugged again with putting patients in the beds, it pretty much still holds true to help narrow down what is wrong with one patient etc. If you start on line three then stay on line three with one patient etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • millers72011millers72011 Posts: 47 Member
    This is kind of off topic, but I am still somehow a new member and I don't know where else to ask this.

I'm playing the doctor career and Carl's guide has really helped with diagnosis to the point where I don't need to run tests sometimes. My question is do I still need to run tests, even if I can tell what it is right away. The main one is starry eyes. You can tell because they swat at the stars. I want to diagnose without tests but I'm scared that the game will say it's wrong just because I didn't run any tests, making it a "weak diagnosis"

Thanks
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    @millers72011 I did diagnose a couple things without running any more than the minimum amount of tests required to get the diagnose interaction, and it was fine, if I remember well. You just have to be careful with that, since a lot of symptoms can be related to multiple illnesses. And of course, doing the tests when the bar at the top asks you to does increase work performance.
  • millers72011millers72011 Posts: 47 Member
    Thank you! I'll try it. Usually on kids it's easy to tell