Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Although I voted for Nectar/Canning, Laundry is something all my Sims can do.

2...Next

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2017
    Canning is a way to have prepared foods that don't go bad and eliminates the need to cook - as it does can more than just jams. Also it gives the same results as making a full meal instead of the results you get from eating a fruit or eating a quick meal. Plus you can store the canned goods on shelves or counters - they do not need refrigeration and won't spoil.
    That was noted in the description of the canned good for voting and talked about as well. You realize you can can soups, stews, sauces, meats, fruit salads - and a whole list of other things - like fruits, veggies, even fish.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @Writin_Reg
    You can have a fresh chef open a store and you'll get pretty much the same gameplay : prepared food that don't go bad, no need to cook yourself, full meal, can store on shelves or counters. We also already have a rather broad range of recipes to choose from. Canning would have been another way to do it, mostly for flavor/immersion, but it wouldn't have opened up completely different gameplay experiences. We already have quite a lot of content around food and craft. Is there room for more ? Sure. Would it be game changing, totally new gameplay experiences ? Not so sure :D
    edited July 2017
    Neia wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg
    You can have a fresh chef open a store and you'll get pretty much the same gameplay : prepared food that don't go bad, no need to cook yourself, full meal, can store on shelves or counters. We also already have a rather broad range of recipes to choose from. Canning would have been another way to do it, mostly for flavor/immersion, but it wouldn't have opened up completely different gameplay experiences. We already have quite a lot of content around food and craft. Is there room for more ? Sure. Would it be game changing, totally new gameplay experiences ? Not so sure :D

Well it would come with new recipes and very much be a time saver. Plus when you can it uses all the foods in your inventory. You can usually make 6 quarts at a time (each quart could hold a meal for 4 people - more than that for toddlers)- so that would be making 6 x 4 full meals at a time for some dishes, Condiments for other dishes, even all your baby/toddler foods. So yes very much a time saver - and very much decorative and putting usable - visible items on a shelf - that is also usable. Talk about more realistic play. Never mind the canner - new item and the process - new thing to do. It may also add new type of cooking skill as well and as I said new recipes and health benefit buffs.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg

Well it would come with new recipes and very much be a time saver. Plus when you can it uses all the foods in your inventory. You can usually make 6 quarts at a time (each quart could hold a meal for 4 people - more than that for toddlers)- so that would be making 6 x 4 full meals at a time for some dishes, Condiments for other dishes, even all your baby/toddler foods. So yes very much a time saver - and very much decorative and putting usable - visible items on a shelf - that is also usable. Talk about more realistic play. Never mind the canner - new item and the process - new thing to do. It may also add new type of cooking skill as well and as I said new recipes and health benefit buffs.

One of my favorite things about TS3, strangely, is filling up shelves and displays. with whatever hahahahaha I don't care, the novelty is still great
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • GoddessqueenbGoddessqueenb Posts: 89 Member
    This is what I want for my sims. Using more of the fruits and vegetables we harvest through gardening.
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    Maybe we can open our own laundromat like resturant
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Maybe we can open our own laundromat like resturant

@RamblineRose I hope so. I hope they make it so it's a buyable lot. I know not everyone uses mods, but there are some that allow your Sims to purchase different kinds of venues. When my TS3 Sims used the laundromat, they were charged. If we could own one in TS4, they should charge the Sims. A modder made an option to make Sims have to pay for entering certain lots.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited July 2017
    Izzabelle wrote: »
    @Izzabelle
    For me, laundry will bring diversity between my households. Some will have a laundry room, some won't. Some will use the laundry system, some won't. Some will have dirty clothes everywhere, some won't. Some will hang, some will dry they clothes.

Right. My point being that doing/not doing laundry, if it is seen as a chore, isn't contributing game-play
    -- but putting people in a position where their game-play option is to choose "not" to do laundry. As a chore, this contributes as much exciting game-play and diversity as "some of my sims will do the dishes. Others won't".

Where as with Canning, for example, the very existence of it as a game-play option introduces a myriad of ways to explore the content. Examples: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/920466/food-preserves-offers-the-most-in-depth-gameplay/p1

Laundry and Canning can be something you choose to do or not do; but if you choose to utilize Canning, the game-play experiences and choices are wildly more unique to each player, whereas laundry is more generically acceptable to nearly any play-style.

Laundry may have been some people's staple for Sims game-play; but it's a huge swing and a miss for game-play that would have enriched Sims 4 as far as mechanical depth is concerned. Hopefully the devs see this as well, and don't pass up some of the other features for future SP/GP/EPs.

This is the first time I've seen someone actually link an explanation for "canning" because lol maybe I'm just a blonde but I had no idea what that or "off the grid" even meant :lol:. So thank you.

But still I'm kinda confused on how putting stuff into a jar is different since we have inventories though..

Personally i'm not much of a drink maker or a garden, I pretty much just use the fridge lol...I don't even collect things...i've only ever tried mixologist once. So this isn't exactly my gameplay personally. I mean honestly harvesting collecting/gardening to me would be a pretty giant chore, especially waiting hours for them to grow (Jokes aside, I don't know how you simmers do it, and I tip my hat off to you). Pretty much why I just use the fridge lol.

But I could defiantly see "canning" in something like that in a Farming GP. Especially with chores like gardening, farming and other things like.
    Post edited by Dreamie209 on
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I look at the laundry as an extension of ideas for my sims, storylines, we make a lot of fun with this pack. I think the pack will come with some great content too.
    edited July 2017
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    @Izzabelle
    For me, laundry will bring diversity between my households. Some will have a laundry room, some won't. Some will use the laundry system, some won't. Some will have dirty clothes everywhere, some won't. Some will hang, some will dry they clothes.

Right. My point being that doing/not doing laundry, if it is seen as a chore, isn't contributing game-play
    -- but putting people in a position where their game-play option is to choose "not" to do laundry. As a chore, this contributes as much exciting game-play and diversity as "some of my sims will do the dishes. Others won't".

Where as with Canning, for example, the very existence of it as a game-play option introduces a myriad of ways to explore the content. Examples: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/920466/food-preserves-offers-the-most-in-depth-gameplay/p1

Laundry and Canning can be something you choose to do or not do; but if you choose to utilize Canning, the game-play experiences and choices are wildly more unique to each player, whereas laundry is more generically acceptable to nearly any play-style.

Laundry may have been some people's staple for Sims game-play; but it's a huge swing and a miss for game-play that would have enriched Sims 4 as far as mechanical depth is concerned. Hopefully the devs see this as well, and don't pass up some of the other features for future SP/GP/EPs.

This is the first time I've seen someone actually link an explanation for "canning" because lol maybe I'm just a blonde but I had no idea what that or "off the grid" even meant :lol:. So thank you.

But still I'm kinda confused on how putting stuff into a jar is different since we have inventories though..

Personally i'm not much of a drink maker or a garden, I pretty much just use the fridge lol...I don't even collect things...i've only ever tried mixologist once. So this isn't exactly my gameplay personally. I mean honestly harvesting collecting/gardening to me would be a pretty giant chore, especially waiting hours for them to grow (Jokes aside, I don't know how you simmers do it, and I tip my hat off to you). Pretty much why I just use the fridge lol.

But I could defiantly see "canning" in something like that in a Farming GP. Especially with chores like gardening, farming and other things like.

Well number one the game develops issues if Sims carry too much stuff in their inventory and that is a documented fact. It can even cause your saves to fail, and possibly corrupt a save eventually. Number two putting food in jars - you place on shelves and they are always ready to eat. No cooking involved and unlike prepared food in the fridge, they never spoil. So when you have big households and short amounts of time having plenty of ready to eat foods that actually fully fill up a sim cuts a lot of wasted time preparing meals. You can can things like soups, sauces, and stew, among other kinds of things - not just jam. Also canned fruit is equal to a meal while it takes a lot of fresh fruit and time wasted eating it all to give your sim the same results.

Keep in mind - you are not the only one playing this game - and many of us do learn all the skills and do garden and learn mixology - etc - etc. Just because you don't - as in perhaps you have not been playing this game for the last 18 years like many of us here have and have found the advantages to doing and learning all these things and the jobs that come out of this knowledge and training already being done.

Funny thing about play style - sometimes we try new styles of play when we realize the advantages brought about by skilling and learning new things. It keeps a game fresh from ever getting boring to try new ways. I play like 30- 35 households - and I cannot even imagine playing each household as a carbon copy of each of the others. I play different in pretty much each one of those 30-35 households. It is mind boggling to think anyone could ever play every one of their households exactly the same. I cannot imagine that, any more than I could imagine just playing one household at a time.

But to each their own. LOL.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited July 2017
    @Writin_Reg

Then you have to pay for it - if you are not the Fresh Chef.

But canning also empties the inventories which in turn cuts chances of having game issues by having too much content in the inventories. Once canned food is instant - ready to eat for up to 4 Sims. Never mind the buffs sims get from eating fresh, home-cooked food.

One other thing you do realize the time involved to become a 4th tier Master Chef in all of the cooking categories (-the Sims that also must have that trait). I honestly have never given my sims that trait. With canning you can can at lower levels and with no trait wasted - and not much time spent skilling either. If I remember correctly you can can as a third level cook.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    @Izzabelle

Well number one the game develops issues if Sims carry too much stuff in their inventory and that is a documented fact. It can even cause your saves to fail, and possibly corrupt a save eventually. Number two putting food in jars - you place on shelves and they are always ready to eat. No cooking involved and unlike prepared food in the fridge, they never spoil. So when you have big households and short amounts of time having plenty of ready to eat foods that actually fully fill up a sim cuts a lot of wasted time preparing meals. You can can things like soups, sauces, and stew, among other kinds of things - not just jam. Also canned fruit is equal to a meal while it takes a lot of fresh fruit and time wasted eating it all to give your sim the same results.

Keep in mind - you are not the only one playing this game - and many of us do learn all the skills and do garden and learn mixology - etc - etc. Just because you don't - as in perhaps you have not been playing this game for the last 18 years like many of us here have and have found the advantages to doing and learning all these things and the jobs that come out of this knowledge and training already being done.

Funny thing about play style - sometimes we try new styles of play when we realize the advantages brought about by skilling and learning new things. It keeps a game fresh from ever getting boring to try new ways. I play like 30- 35 households - and I cannot even imagine playing each household as a carbon copy of each of the others. I play different in pretty much each one of those 30-35 households. It is mind boggling to think anyone could ever play every one of their households exactly the same. I cannot imagine that, any more than I could imagine just playing one household at a time.

But to each their own. LOL.

the insight on canning is lovely <3 and thank you for it. I beileve I posted this before your "off-the-grid" but I understand that .
    But the middle part kinda made me sorta giggle (not at you or anything). It did kinda take me back to my early days in the sims. The sims has been a childhood friend since the sims 1. It was my beautiful introduction into video games and expressing my own touch of creativity. In TS2 I actually did used to garden, but lost interest..I think it was somewhere around early sims 3. Tried it again around seasons though and liked it because it made gardening more challenging to me.

My last part of was not judging on anyone that does those things :lol: (cause as I said above, I actually did 'used' to garden, but lost interest). I was pretty much speaking in terms of a 'individual voter' and how one person might see something as a chore, while the others doesn't (one person's trash might be another's treasure). I think some weren't thinking (in terms of voting) of what others would use and what personally interested them similar to what @lasummerb . But obviously I doubt that means that they (myself included) dislike thought of canning, or "off-the-grid" living, they just didn't see it as a priority for them.

It's funny because, I actually do like skills, obviously those that would fit the many sims that I play. Playing for so long after all these years, I always try something at least once. If it's not for me then it's not for me (like some with landry or families for example :lol: ) I did have garden simmer once, but I've made so many combinations that it hasn't come up yet again. However never do I prioritize skills in them, unless it's their absolute goal to <3 any other way would be too overly 'perfect' for me personally. I always play a nice combination of MCCC and going through a good amount of households and my legacy house but I myself couldn't imagine creating every sim with equal amount of skills...So I myself can't fathom someone playing one household the same way :lol:. To always prevent such a terrible thing, I go by their traits and dream goals, of which in some cases they change. Plus adding the pure randomness of MCCC's story progression, the more chaos the better I always say <3.

But I totally agree to each their own <3. We simmers are as complex as the sims we make :blush: .

tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
    Very true Dreamie - very true. lol.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I would like to point out to everyone that loved the idea of canning, that icemunmun on Modthesims has made a canning station mod, complete with a canning skill and GTW retail shelves. Until canning is added to the game by the developers, we can use this great mod. You can find it here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=598557
  • PreslynnPreslynn Posts: 36 Member
    I really would have loved the canning and and am bummed that we are most likely never getting that, because of laundry. I do use mods but I generally prefer when EA puts something in themselves because I have to check if the mods are still working after every patch and when the developer doesn't update the mod, I lose it. Though that being said, I will download the canning mod for my little farm family. Now all their harvestables can actually be used. I felt like 90% of the crops were just being sold through the inventory. I hope the canned goods do not spoil either?