Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I feel like sims 3 went in a different art direction then the other sims games

Comments

• Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    @comicsforlife I think my brain just blew up trying to do that! Haha! But, when I do I feel like I always think Sims 2. :lol: Though, my brain just hatched an idea.

I don't own Sims 1 anymore, but I do own 2, 3, and 4. I'm going to try to recreate that exact Goth Family from Sims 1 in all the games without using CC and maybe it'll be easier to compare the same Sims. :lol:

Installing Sims 4 right now. My poor, dying laptop will have to deal with all of its updates before I can start The Sims 2. :lol: And when Sims 4 is done, I can make them in The Sims 3. :tongue:
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Emily4331 wrote: »
    @comicsforlife I think my brain just blew up trying to do that! Haha! But, when I do I feel like I always think Sims 2. :lol: Though, my brain just hatched an idea.

I don't own Sims 1 anymore, but I do own 2, 3, and 4. I'm going to try to recreate that exact Goth Family from Sims 1 in all the games without using CC and maybe it'll be easier to compare the same Sims. :lol:

Installing Sims 4 right now. My poor, dying laptop will have to deal with all of its updates before I can start The Sims 2. :lol: And when Sims 4 is done, I can make them in The Sims 3. :tongue:

cool idea tell me how it turns out @Emily4331
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    removed since the comment i responded to was removed :p

Awww. Thank you! Haha! I was worried about constantly being reminded of how much of a jerk I can be hahaha! :heart:

PS: I know I am hard on The Sims 4, but every time I have ever seen you post your avatar is cute! :3

Thank you!
    And seeing your constructive post about the discussion really does open my eyes to the opposing view. Sometimes it is nice to be able to see where people are coming from even if they don't agree. :)
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited August 2017
    @CyrusTheLoser See? This is why I should wait a little bit at least after waking up from naps to comment on things. Lest I just come across as a major crab a.ss :lol:

Now I am making the goths simultaneously in Sims 2 and 3 and my laptop looks very much like he wishes for the sweet release of death, so you guys might want to pray for him. :tongue:
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    edited August 2017
    @Emily4331 wrote: »
    comicsforlife I think my brain just blew up trying to do that! Haha! But, when I do I feel like I always think Sims 2. :lol: Though, my brain just hatched an idea.

How is comparing them now... an old game to new game... a real comparison? They don't use the same graphics, the same ... well, there are years of tech between them.

I still play TS2 and it gives me BodyShop to edit my Sims- call in CC but I make clothes and hair and skins.

It's like looking back on your youth, you see it now with your age but at the time, being 6 was hard. The memories of 6 are tempered with age now.

Just Enjoy the Game you like. :sigh:
  • therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    I ll try to explain in pictures why I do think Art Direction from TS to TS3 ist true fun, and why Art Direction from TS3 to TS4 is cliché.

lego-dark-orange-hair-ron.jpg

lego-earth-orange-hair-short-bowl-cut.jpg

1398-2.jpg

And look here please why this cliche direction is wrong for our beloved game. It's official graphic from TS4 (sic!) which includes a blond male Sim whos forehead is 3 times (sic!) shorter then his eyelid. I mean, come on u guys from TS4 "Art Style", are u real?

maxresdefault.jpg

toy-story-characters-you-got-a-friend-in-me-image-6.jpg

and Jennifer Martinez hair:

Screenshot-363.jpg

from where this revolution starts. It's sad, because Jennifer Martinez hair were dinosaurs in The Sims kingdom.
    @Rflong7 I don't know, but I'm going to do it anyway for fun. :lol:
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @Emily4331 wrote: »
    comicsforlife I think my brain just blew up trying to do that! Haha! But, when I do I feel like I always think Sims 2. :lol: Though, my brain just hatched an idea.

How is comparing them now... an old game to new game... a real comparison? They don't use the same graphics, the same ... well, there are years of tech between them.

I still play TS2 and it gives me BodyShop to edit my Sims- call in CC but I make clothes and hair and skins.

It's like looking back on your youth, you see it now with your age but at the time, being 6 was hard. The memories of 6 are tempered with age now.

Just Enjoy the Game you like. :sigh:
    it's not about graphics it's about art style
    Style? TS compared to TS2/3/4? Style... No, it's about Opinion. Fun? Yeah, okay.
    it's not about graphics it's about art style

Graphic Technology can define the "Style" and Quality of the "Style." Seeing them compared to each other will only show the age of the "Graphic" Ability from the time. :sigh:

It's not fun any more. This ...

what ? all I'm saying is that I think style is different then graphics like how the new peanuts movie was done in 3d but you can still see the same art style that was used in the comics @Rflong7
    What? A movie with "New" Technology compared to "old" comics? Okay. :sigh:
    I eternally regret commenting on this thread. :lol:
    edited August 2017

well I hope you post your findings here anyway I think they add a lot to the topic and a lot of people like reading about art @Emily4331

well thanks I really enjoyed talking about art I've been drawing and painting for years and video games though not thought of as art by some are very lovely to me
  • therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    edited August 2017
    @comicsforlife for me art style of TS4 is like some art at Moma in New York, I just don't enjoy it in estethics way :-) It's not even art, it's a waste in a sense
    Ah... I didn't know we were talking art. I have no idea about art styles. I know cartoons and realistic. I thought we were talking about Sims style and how people think they're different in one to another.

Hm... I'm not artistic in the least. :lol: :crossesfingersbehindback:
    edited August 2017
    @comicsforlife for me art style of TS4 is like some art at Moma in New York, I just don't enjoy it in estethics way :-) It's not even art, it's a waste in a sense

understandable not everyone likes the same thing well as it stands right now I think sims 1 looks more like sims 3 because I think they both look less cartoon like and sim2 and sims 4 looks more cartoon like I think there faces have a lot in common
    I wonder what the sims 5 will look most like it would have to favor one of the four
    Ah... I didn't know we were talking art. I have no idea about art styles. I know cartoons and realistic. I thought we were talking about Sims style and how people think they're different in one to another.

Hm... I'm not artistic in the least. :lol: :crossesfingersbehindback:

oh I'm sure that's not true anyone can draw
  • Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    edited August 2017
    I think Sims 1 should definitely be left out of this because it was released in the year 2000 and the graphics back then were so unadvanced people couldnt really do much 'art style' to begin with. In TS2 you can see a little bit art style but we're still looking at graphics more than 10 years old so especially those of us who are young and never really played games back in those years it's hard to understand the limits game developers had back then. You can see how simplistic Sims 4 went on purpose, this time CLEARLY an art style choice and not limitation when you put sims 1 and sims 4 next to each other and then for example Tomb Raider chronicles and the Tomb Raider from 2013. Or even putting sims 3 and sims 4 next to each other and then Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age inquisition. also Final Fantasy X vs. Final Fantasy XIII: ligtning returns. You can really see what they could have done but chose to not do.

Tomb raider chronicles (2000) vs. Tomb Raider (2013)
    Tomb_Raider_Chronicles_-_La_leggenda_di_Lara_Croft.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Dragon Age Origins (2009) vs Dragon Age Inquisition (2014):
    Good+guy+dragon+age+origins+not+making+female+characters+which+_a344600a3e4e5b4507a734b10a9497ad.png

asdasd.jpg

Final Fantasy X (2001) vs. Final Fantasy XIII lightning returns (2013):

Final-Fantasy-X-HD-comparison.png
    (A pic of the 2001 version vs. The HD remaster)

LIGHTNING-RETURNS-FINAL-FANTASY-XIII-5-1.jpg

These are all games that continued in the same artstyle but advanced their graphics with the years. You really can't say sims 1, 2 or 3 look like sims 4 in art style when you see what could've happened instead in the same year as when sims 4 was released.

Sims 4 kind of looks like the HD remaster of FFX and they basically could already do those graphics back in 2001 just slightly more pixelated. It makes you want to cry.

(Sorry had to edit a few times because im doing this on my phone and keep messing up the pictures)
    Post edited by Namaya92 on
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited August 2017
    I really wish threads like this wouldn't always be dumped in here. Not only have we been shunted into no-man's land corner, but then they dump the unwanted rubbish threads from the TS4 section in here as well :s

I think TS4 is the odd one out in this series. It looks like a cheap, plastic facebook / ipad game, whereas the others lean toward a less cartoon look overall. Someone said earlier, that the previous games were more textured. Everything in Sims 4 looks like flat bucketfill.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2017
    I've seen more people state that sims in 2 look like sims in 4, but I don't see that myself. First time I played Sims 2 was after I had played Sims 3 for years and Sims 4 briefly and I in fact felt all kind of similarities with Sims 3. For one the art style is the same. Sims 4 to me feels completely different (which as such isn't a a bad thing).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited August 2017
    In the Sims series I have always ever played Sims 3 so I base any comparison on pictures of the other games that others have posted.

The surface detail of Sims 4 is more cartoony than the others, I think to allow the game to be played on lower end computers. So it is a departure from the other games in the series.

But in Sims 4 I do think the default body shape and proportions of the sims themselves is more in keeping with Sims 1 and Sims 2. The Sims in Sims 3 are more solid, more realistic.