Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I feel like sims 3 went in a different art direction then the other sims games

comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
I feel like sims 1 ,2 and 4 were going for a more cartoon look
what do you guys think
more for sim kids and more drama please

Comments

• therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    what do you guys think

No TS1, TS2 and TS3 are in The Sims style, TS4 has more of cartoon look :smile:
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    what do you guys think

Yeah, I also think you got that backwards, Sims 4 is much more cartoon like than Sims 3.

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Contrary to what some TS2 fans may think, TS3 feels like the logical progression from its style. Like they're both really...textured. And use simple alpha hairs. It's just that one game looks like it came out in 2004 and the other looks like 2009. ;)

TS4's shift to a really smooth/stylized/cartoonish style is one out of left field IMO. But it has grown on me (I like cartoons after all) and I'm not going to pretend I need to slather TS4 in custom content and leave TS3 untouched because I use a lot of CC to enhance both and they need it. TS4 needs objects and clothing with patterns and not-flat textures and TS3 needs not-undetailed skins and not-terrible makeup and clothing that isn't dated.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Contrary to what some TS2 fans may think, TS3 feels like the logical progression from its style. Like they're both really...textured. And use simple alpha hairs. It's just that one game looks like it came out in 2004 and the other looks like 2009. ;)

TS4's shift to a really smooth/stylized/cartoonish style is one out of left field IMO. But it has grown on me (I like cartoons after all) and I'm not going to pretend I need to slather TS4 in custom content and leave TS3 untouched because I use a lot of CC to enhance both and they need it. TS4 needs objects and clothing with patterns and not-flat textures and TS3 needs not-undetailed skins and not-terrible makeup and clothing that isn't dated.

I am not sure if I get you, but look. What do you think TS2 need from TS3, or look at it another way: what TS3 (in logical progression way) would need from TS2 considering art direction?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I love cartoons, but not in a Sims game. Sims 4 is the only cartoony Sims game. And I could manage the step that way if the gameplay would be great and if they'd done the cartoony aspect right instead of simplistic, because I like cartoon as such, but I still highly regret this direction. They took quirky and turned it into one dimensional clowny. I like cartoon, I don't like clowns.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I feel like sims 3 went for realistic but I don't feel like sims 2 or sims 1 was going for that
    I think sims 4 sims look more like sims 2 sims then sims 3 sims do
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    Yeah, I agree with everyone else, I think you have it backwards.

Maybe The Sims 4 looks more like The Sims 2 when you shovel CC into it like crazy, but by default it looks far more of the same vein as Sims 3.

I would describe literally every game in the series but 4 as having a semi-realistic style, sometimes limited by the time it was created:

Here is a picture I found. It is a thumbnail for a youtube video and it shows the base game style of each game. You can see pretty clearly the first 3 have way more in common with each other than 4 does with any of them.
    maxresdefault.jpg

And The Sims 1, 2, and 3 all look like very natural progression of the times. Whereas The Sims 4 just looks almost like it was a life simulator made by some other company all together.

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    i've always felt that 2 & 4 look a lot more similar than 3 looks to either, but clearly that's an unpopular opinion :p
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited August 2017
    Sorry if I upset anyone. I harbor no ill-will toward either side, I was just making a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 comment that clearly should've never been made. Again, I apologize. Happy simming. :smile:
    Post edited by Emily4331 on
    edited August 2017
    @Emily4331 I deleted your post so please don't regret anything

I didn't say one was better then the other I like art and I just wanted to talk about it
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    edited August 2017
    @comicsforlife Sorry, comics. Being a bit of a grump today. Shouldn't have made the comment. Happy simming. :smile:
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited August 2017
    removed since the comment i responded to was removed :p
    Post edited by Cupid on
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    edited August 2017
    removed.
    Post edited by Falynios on
    @Rflong7 Yeah, I get it. Sorry if I projected anything onto others. I'll just remove my comment at this point. It was meant as rather tongue-in-cheek but I guess it doesn't translate well over text.
    I was making a generalized comment on how typically threads of this nature go. It was wrong. I'm sorry.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    @Emily4331 wrote: »
    I was making a generalized comment on how typically threads of this nature go. It was wrong. I'm sorry.

Yeah, we do tend to generalize, I know I do. You're not wrong but you're not right. I'm not wrong and I'm not right. We're both just commenting. :cookie::)

No worries. I think a lot of things could have been improved in all the games. Too bad I'll never get the near perfect blend of all the games. :)
    Emily4331 wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree with everyone else, I think you have it backwards.

Maybe The Sims 4 looks more like The Sims 2 when you shovel CC into it like crazy, but by default it looks far more of the same vein as Sims 3.

I would describe literally every game in the series but 4 as having a semi-realistic style, sometimes limited by the time it was created:

Here is a picture I found. It is a thumbnail for a youtube video and it shows the base game style of each game. You can see pretty clearly the first 3 have way more in common with each other than 4 does with any of them.
    maxresdefault.jpg

And The Sims 1, 2, and 3 all look like very natural progression of the times. Whereas The Sims 4 just looks almost like it was a life simulator made by some other company all together.

I was looking at the pic just now I think sims 1 looks a lot more like sims 3 then sims 2 does
    I kind of feel like since I seemingly murdered you topic by being an a.ss that I should probably make up for it with meaningful discussion about the topic at hand.

So, when I look at the styles of all the games and really analyse them...
    250?cb=20100617140934
    For The Sims 1, I see a game that is wholly meant to look realistic. Being made in 2000, it doesn't have the graphical power to look any more than it does.

I felt like The Sims 2 was an extension of that in a way, but I also can see that they went a bit more of the semi-realistic route. The sims look like people, but they don't look as much like real people as I feel The Sims 1 was trying to look.
    250?cb=20150831125353
    Though, yes, aliens are people too!

So then we get to The Sims 3, which I feel was going for the same thing as The Sims 2. Not so realistic that it freaks the player out, but realistic enough.
    235?cb=20140209080442
    They obviously don't look like real people, but they look more like real people. Plenty of other games made around the same time had quite realistic looking graphics.

Actually, The Sims 3 reminds me of DoA a bit...(I somehow found an appropriate pic to use :lol: )
    dead_or_alive_5_last_round__21_-gamezone-dead-or-alive-5-last-round-review-on-xbox-one-ps4.jpeg
    Like, I'd never look at her and say, "Wow! So realistic!" But I feel like the developers definitely wanted her to look at least reminiscent of a real person, minus the creepy factor. :lol:

So when I get to The Sims 4, I feel like it went a little further away from realism. Obviously, the sims look like people.
    250?cb=20140604212023
    But to me, they look a lot less like real people than the other games were going for. But, honestly, I'd call 2, 3, and 4 more closely related to each other in general than 1 is to the others, but I still think Sims 3 is closer to Sims 2 than Sims 4.

To me, Sims 4 took advantage of a style that a lot of mobile games and things of that nature were using at the time.

Sims Social uses that cute, very stylistic look
    the-sims-social.png

As well as some of those dating mobile games (Which I definitely have never played, guys. :lol: )
    (This is the best example I can muster)
    campus-life.jpg?resize=655%2C487&strip=all?strip=all

So I do think the appearance of the game was the correct choice for EA. In a society where most people's foray into gaming is mobile games that typical have cartoony-cute styles. It makes sense to me that The Sims 4 would emulate it and just improve it for a sims game.

It really does look to me like Sims Social with improved graphics. So I genuinely believe they were trying pretty hard to actually go further away from the realistic style than they ever had before. But I don't know. :lol: I am of the mind that the games should never be too realistic. And I am pretty glad that they all seem different enough to us that we can just pick whichever suits us the best, but when I look at them, I see The Sims 4 as being the most different.
    @comicsforlife The Sims 1 is really throwing me off since it is so old! Hahaha! Man, I don't know, I really do feel like 1 and 2 are the most natural progression of them all and I see less of 1 in 3 than I do in 1 and 2. Or even 3 and 4.

I feel like when I'm typing these sentences that I am speaking in binary. :lol:
    removed since the comment i responded to was removed :p

Awww. Thank you! Haha! I was worried about constantly being reminded of how much of a jerk I can be hahaha! :heart:

PS: I know I am hard on The Sims 4, but every time I have ever seen you post your avatar is cute! :3
    edited August 2017
    @comicsforlife The Sims 1 is really throwing me off since it is so old! Hahaha! Man, I don't know, I really do feel like 1 and 2 are the most natural progression of them all and I see less of 1 in 3 than I do in 1 and 2. Or even 3 and 4.

I feel like when I'm typing these sentences that I am speaking in binary. :lol:

Imagine sims 1 with better graphics and then think of 3 @Emily4331 :)

its ok