Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The difference lighting can make

I took some time to play around with lighting today. Different colors, intensities, how close they are to the sim, what angle they're pointed at, natural lighting coming into play, etc and I found out, as someone who doesn't stage photos often, that lighting in this game is actually pretty dynamic and makes a huge difference. I figured I'd share. :smile:

(My favorite was that if you put a light in front of your sim at night and change the color to flame, orange, or yellow it creates this golden glow that makes it seem like they are next to a campfire. Perhaps a good story telling tool!)

I'll put them under a spoiler since there's a lot of them. I took these pictures in Adventureworld because I knew it was empty and would be less laggy. However, this also makes the background environment look a little eh. Oh well. :tongue:

Here's the pics!
zxGmkMo.jpg

UC1XEB3.jpg

3jclgQh.jpg

9FKctYv.jpg

j2C2Jmk.jpg

GLCPcFW.jpg

eLPmXA1.jpg

CQWmK3f.jpg

yIElKNP.jpg

Kh1uVN5.jpg

D1eA2Qh.jpg

bKfC67o.jpg

mJnqLzR.jpg

bDUZxES.jpg

9mN2ugB.jpg

cNG2j1u.jpg

xH4AlYO.jpg

nccYO97.jpg

m6ivxQs.jpg

Feel free to share your own pictures that you really like the lighting in! :smiley:

Comments

• MadRadMandeeMadRadMandee Posts: 110 Member
    Wow that's really cool. And your sims is very handsome! Reminds me of Jared Leto :)
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    @MadRadMandee Thank you! :3

Also - it is Jared Leto as Hephaestion! So I am kind of overjoyed that you recognized him without me saying who it was! :mrgreen: I will take his creation as a success! :lol:
  • MadRadMandeeMadRadMandee Posts: 110 Member
    Ah yay!! I knew it! He's spot on!
  • SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    I love changing the lighting/intensities/colours! Maybe it's just the photographer within me, but I always change lighting in my Sims' houses. Usually warmer for most houses, but sometimes for certain rooms/builds, I'll make it cooler.
    giphy.gif
    @MadRadMandee Woooo! :mrgreen: Good eye! Thank you so much!

@Summerjase It is super fun to play around with! EA by default uses lighting so boringly. I especially enjoy using red lights in a house with vampires. :3 I'd love to see some pictures of your sims' houses! :smiley:
  • SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    Emily4331 wrote: »
    @MadRadMandee Woooo! :mrgreen: Good eye! Thank you so much!

@Summerjase It is super fun to play around with! EA by default uses lighting so boringly. I especially enjoy using red lights in a house with vampires. :3 I'd love to see some pictures of your sims' houses! :smiley:

I'll have to take some screenshots and share them! I used to have a family who had a vampire in it; I set her room lighting very cold, and very dim. Unfortunately that family and house was on my old computer and I don't have any photos; but I'll keep this thread bookmarked and be sure to share next time I'm playing!
    giphy.gif
    I took a few more pictures. I am obsessed with this sim and that orange hue light :lol: so I'll just give you a few of my favorites:

The water quality in Isla Paradiso is immensely better than Adventureland.
    XjZ2fY3.jpg

And I found a pose which murdered me deep in the feels:
    sDd4d0Z.jpg

Orange light is god, orange light is life.
    8vHSmT3.jpg

Blue light is close second. :tongue:
    VyXbrOK.jpg

Now I have doomed myself. Even when playing normally I am going to mess with lighting for 6 years with every picture I take. :lol: Curses! :tongue:
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited July 2017
    Oooh, awesome pics! I'm often surprised by the lighting in this game (as well as frustrated) :D For the most part the lighting really does convey a mood or atmosphere. I always make sure candles or torches are set to the "flame" color in my game. I really like how that looks.
    He just lit the fireplace and it had a nice warm glow. Why is he unhappy? :D
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Club lighting
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Outdoor lighting, at night
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Hot tub lighting ;)
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    And finally my favorite, the lighting at sunset/sunrise
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Post edited by Odonata68 on
    @Odonata68 Wow! Nice pics! The club one has really fantastic lighting! Is that Lara Craft I see? :3
    @Emily4331 Thank you! :) Yes, that is Lara.
    Your pics are great! That last one though, with the blueish light, I think is my fav. I can't stop staring at it. B)
    @Odonata68 She is a great Lara sim! Good job! :smiley:
    Haha! Thank you! I love that blue light. :smile:
    edited July 2017
    So I was working with how 3 different colored lights would work, going from the darkest shade in their family to the lightest, it worked out pretty cool!

It makes it look like the source of the fiery-light comes from his right, and so the light naturally fades the further away from the source. This pic and the next are light colors red>orange>yellow
    bJyulxQ.jpg

qOgdD3D.jpg

Unfortunately, my game crashed, but I managed to also get this color combo to look pretty sweet. Light colors blue>purple>pink (If I remember correctly). Hephaestion had a script error when I went to change his pose and the game kind of got caught in this nexus between live mode and the pose list which cause the crash. :lol:
    4Ay1hxd.jpg
    Post edited by Emily4331 on
  • VromanceVromance Posts: 72 Member
    Omg I love your sims. They're so amazing. I do agree that lighting can either make or break a photo. I've had many photos of my sims that were great but the lighting just killed it Lol. Anyway, good job! :)
    tumblr_oalut1nqGt1vzdforo4_r1_500.gif
    @Vromance Haha! Thank you! I know the feeling. I used to take pictures of my sims with just normal house lighting and oh my god - the difference that bright lighting can make in how good they look in this game is astounding! :lol: Thank you for your comment. :3
    @Emily4331 I love your idea using different hues of light! It adds an extra "something" to pics. <3 Amazing!
    @Odonata68 Thank you! :3 Hopefully I can experiment with that more today without my game crashing! :lol:
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    I love the lighting when taking pictures of the Sims by the fire pits...I don't have close ups but I bet they would look great!

35509026160_2093115f1a_b.jpg

35768207861_50df5d0d06_b.jpg
    @Charlottesmom Oh my god that picture of Connor is precious. :3 Love them!
    Used an ENB on my last playthrough, and I believe it changes the lighting enough to be relevant.

Nighttime shot of the road:
    IrtpnFc.png
    It seems appropriately dark. At least, my neighborhood typically looks quite dark during the later hours of night.

The ocean in the afternoon:
    3YMxA6b.png

A rainy day in the park:
    gGdNTeS.png

The lighting is quite soft in this one :smile:
    kttEdnH.png

And in this one
    gIPwyJH.png

Sometimes, it seems a bit dark indoors. But I believe this has a lot to do with the quality of the lights in the house. :smile: I'll play around with it more, of course!
    Have a few more ft. a new sim. :smiley:
    uIQgTdF.png
    So dramatic. :lol:

ZUtfPqx.png

He was clearly not amused by my toying with him :tongue:
    Ghar9rL.png
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    It looks great! I love looking at the lighting and Sims. :+1:
    Thank you @Rflong7 :smiley:
    The ENB I use really makes a difference...mostly, from my experience, in shadows and natural lighting...

Monte Vista in the morning time without the ENB looks a bit too bright to me:
    pKyqsy8.png

But with the ENB enabled...
    VQs5oJm.png
    Looks pretty cool!

And I know some people think it just makes the game overall darker, but I think it is still possible to mess around with light values.

A well lit room:
    cPmDzZL.png

And this one was taken in the same room, but away from the brighter lights:
    fhc7oyX.png
  • madelynsims95madelynsims95 Posts: 285 Member
    Interesting! I never realized how powerful the light could be in this game.
    Origin ID: madelynsims95
    Stories/Challenges:
    Mother May I? (100 Baby Challenge)
    @madelynsims95 Yep! Sometimes it takes a bit of modification, but even the base lighting in the game when you really play around with it can have some pretty nice results! Thanks for your comment. :smile: