Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Landon Legacy - 1.18 - Bridal Obligations [Updated 11.27.17]

Comments

• Options
    AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    Oh I really like how you portray Willow in your writing. I haven't been here for a while, but you're still on my must-read list. I'm going to write more about my thoughts when I have the time: Just know that the latest chapter gave me so many different impressions and feelings! So awesome!
  • Options
    ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    Skcaga6 wrote: »
    Finally caught up. As for your question, I think it depends on the story. I can tell you that writing from a toddlers point of view is fun. I did that for one chapter just to introduce her. As for the childhood years, it depends on what is happening with that child. I have a lot of children in my story, but the focus was mostly on the one who had been kidnapped. Now that they are all teenagers, they are coming more into play. It is going to depend on your story and what works best for what you have planned.

Now to comment on what I read.... Jason is SOOOO dang cute! One question, is Willow Catholic? I know they feel that divorce is a sin. Most other religions allow it. My own divorce was okay by my church, but not my ex-husbands. I can say that if anybody told me that I was a sinner because I am divorced they would get an earful about murder being a bigger sin and that being the path my marriage was on because of the abusive plum I was married to. Since there was no mention of abuse between Jay and Helen, I can see Willow feeling the way she does due to her religious beliefs. She should be more tolerant of those with different beliefs however.

@Skcaga6 Thank you for your input! I'll probably end up including what I feel like needs to be included and go from there.

I didn't name a religion for them because I did not want to ruffle any feathers, but no, she is Christian. Divorce in Christianity is allowed but only in particular circumstances (abuse, sexual immorality or if your spouse tries to lead you away from God) otherwise it is considered a sin that one can repent for in most churches. Willow Creek is a small town in this story and very conservative (it's based on a town I lived in for a year as a pre-teen and it had the most... strict? church I have ever attended). I'm sorry to hear about your abuse and want to stress that I do not think divorce is a sin for any reason. My 🐸🐸🐸🐸 donor (because I will never call him my father) was abusive to my mother so I have nothing but respect and admiration for your experiences and your strength at getting out of there. But yes, you are right, there was no abuse between Helen and Jay. Jay simply isn't and was never in love with her and decided to set her free (and himself) so they can both find happiness even though he knew the judgement he would get from basically everyone in his hometown.
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • Options
    Asaoyoru wrote: »
    Oh I really like how you portray Willow in your writing. I haven't been here for a while, but you're still on my must-read list. I'm going to write more about my thoughts when I have the time: Just know that the latest chapter gave me so many different impressions and feelings! So awesome!

Thank you! It means a lot to me that you feel like this is a must-read. <3
    4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Chapter Sixteen: Apologizes

A whole week had passed since I met Jason. The little boy grew attached to me quickly, so much so that when Jay had to work one day Jason insisted on accompanying me on the farm. The two-year-old couldn’t do much in the way of helping me, but with sprinklers to run through and some berries in his lap he seemed content enough in the summer sun. The image twisted my heart, reminding me all too much of myself; of all the moments I had taken for granted in this very soil. Still, I answered Jason’s nonsensical questions as he threw them my way and allowed him to help when he asked, all with a smile plastered on my face.

PsHuZrl.png

yUp2LQL.png

AsxJm1m.png

k7FQE6d.png

“What’s dis?” Jason asked, pointing at one of the small bushes.

“That’s a blackberry.” I picked the ripe fruit from the stem and held it out to him, “Try one.”

Jason shoved it into his mouth, face puckering as he bit into it, “Yucky.” He exclaimed, wiping his tongue off on his shorts. It left a rather unappetizing smear of mush behind.

“Well, I think they’re delicious.” I laughed.

yTZdhTr.png

“Me too.” The thick southern accent made my heart skip a beat.

Christopher stood awkwardly outside of the farm gate wearing a tie; a bouquet of yellow roses clutched tightly in his hand. My favorite. “What are you doing here?”

“I wanted to talk to you,” He paused, eyes flickering to Jason, “I was hopin’ you would let me take you out fer lunch.”

QPw3Qyy.png

“Why would I want to have lunch with you, Topher? You’ve been ignoring me for almost two weeks now.”

Christopher shuffled his feet, “You never tried to contact me either.”

“You accused me of cheating on you.” I scoffed.

AXnQdoQ.png

“You’re right. I’m sorry, ‘Tina just kept insistin’ that something was goin’ on and… and I don’t know,” He sighed, “I’m sorry. I should have apologized the next day but ‘Tina said you two had a fight that mornin’ and that I should let you cool down.”

FgvBX2V.png

“I don’t need two weeks to cool down.”

“I know. I’m really sorry.”

ZqC9tTz.png

His voice was small, and his lips tugged down into a frown. The apology didn’t completely quell the pain, but it was a start and I honestly did believe him when he said Christina had been the driving force behind his accusations, “Fine, apology accepted. But you’ll have to make it up to me another time. I’m babysitting Jason today.”

pzgoTZd.png

“You won’t regret givin’ me a second chance,” Christopher said as he walked backward, an infectious smile where his frown had just been.

“Christopher,” I called after him. He paused, eyebrows raised, “Aren’t you forgetting something?” I asked, gesturing to the flowers still firmly in his hands.

“Huh? Oh!”

I laughed as Christopher ran to the gate, handing me the yellow bouquet. He leaned in, hot breath fanning my cheek before his lips brushed against my skin, “I’ll see you tonight.”

TzpIBv0.png

I felt myself flush, clutching the roses to my chest. I turned to Jason only once Christopher was out of sight, “How about blueberries. Do you like blueberries?”

Benny’s had the best burgers in the world. They were thick and juicy, stuffed with cheese and made your pores ooze with grease. In the four years I spent in San Myshuno, nothing had even come close to the savory goodness that I was experiencing right now. I practically melted in my chair, unable to stop the small groan of pleasure that swelled in my throat.

W8sTV13.png

HQIPgir.png

fQcJJ7Z.png

“I told you you wouldn’t regret forgivin’ me.” Christopher laughed in between bites of his own cheeseburger. He was more into the mushroom and onion deal, while I liked zero veggies on my heart attack.

I nodded my agreement, mouth much too full to speak without grossing out the entire establishment.

“Who were you watching earlier?” He asked as I stuffed two curly fries into my mouth.

Idj6n29.png

I took my time chewing, anxiety bubbling in my stomach. I knew the fact that I had been staying with Jay for the past few weeks would come up eventually though, and I could only pretend my mouth was full for so long, so I swallowed and answered truthfully. “Jason. He’s Jay’s son. I’ve been staying with him since… well, you know… but nothing happened then and nothing’s happened now.”

“I believe you.” Christopher replied calmly, “Are you goin’ to continue stayin’ over there?”

Christopher knew how I felt about my parent’s house and my feeling hadn’t changed, “I’m not sure where else I would stay.”

“You could stay with me.” He mumbled, nervously moving some fries around his plate.

bT3dKvg.png

I had never been inside Christopher’s house before but I had been outside of the small log cabin many times since we started dating – always while waiting for him to grab fishing gear or some odd item that needed delivering – but I was still certain that it only had one bedroom, “Your parents would never approve of me living with you before marriage.”

I could see realization dawn on him, and he sighed deeply, “You could stay with Christina and our parents then.”

MrJkgkw.png

“Christina and I still aren’t talking.”

“You could fix that. Christina misses you, but she keeps telling me it’s your turn to mend the friendship. That she’s tried hard enough over the years.”

I took another bite of my burger, face hot with guilt, “I’ll think about it.”

p6CShby.png

And I did think about it. I thought about it as Christopher told me about Christina’s wedding plans and while I told him that the man – or boy, rather – that killed my parents had been caught. I thought about it while Christopher dropped me off at Jay’s with a soft kiss on the forehead. I thought about it as I laid in Jay’s bed that night, staring blankly at his popcorn ceiling.

I thought about it until my heart hurt and my eyes wouldn’t stay open. Because I knew what I should do. I just didn’t want to.
    4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Wow. Took him long enough :joy: Well, you already know how I feel about this ship, so I won't go into a rant :tongue: I'm glad he at least tried haha

Mixed feelings about the idea of her forgiving Christina at this point... All of them handled this situation so terribly haha But I do think Willow ultimately needs her best friend back, so reaching out to her is probably for the best.

Jason is still absolutely adorable :love: Definitely has his daddy's charms ;)

I was very excited to see a new update! Thank you so much for sharing it ^_^
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    thejenniferthejennifer Posts: 724 Member
    Ahhhhh!!! I'm so so happy I got to read this!! My two little cuties in all of their lovey-dovey goodness. My heart is happy and full. You're making me want to both scream and also sing at the same time!! Why do you do this to me?! I love you. :lol: I loved this chapter! (As usual) and I'm excited for more ;)
  • Options
    WitcHazardWitcHazard Posts: 1,209 Member
    Nooboos WitcHazard: Jay already gave us Jason like Nooboos to look forward to so I'm all for Jaylow! Also Jason is one slip up of calling Willow mommy and then Jay can lock this down!
  • Options
    Hey guys~ Just wanted to apologize for the late response real quick. The In-Laws came over yesterday so I was cleaning things that I didn't even know needed to be cleaned all morning and then entertaining them. I appreciate every single reader/lurker/comment I get more than you guys know. <3

@CitizenErased14 I sure did take him a long time. :smiley: But he did try eventually, at least! And he knew he was wrong, which is always helpful.

Christina and Willow's friendship is really strained right now, but it really is Willow's 'turn' to fix things. She's managed to slide by with a lot of hurtful actions until now.

Jason is the cutest thing ever. I love that toddler. :love:

@thejennifer Haha thank you girlie. I know that you love these two and the awkward charm that Topher has. ;] <3

@WitcHazard Hahahha, I think if Jason called Willow Mommy and Helen found out... Helen would have a mental break down.

4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Arrowleaf wrote: »
    Oh, guys, though I have not been writing a lot I have been planning a lot. I have all the way to gen 3 planned out - with two alt versions for gen 2 depending on if a guy or girl wins the heir vote. I estimate that there will be 10-15 chapters left in this generation but I do have a question for any of my readers that want to give me input.

How much focus do you want on generation 2's formative years?

I am not sure if I should almost completely skip into their teen years or if I should show some growth of the family (their house, their kids) or a lot of growth. Do you want to see the pregnancies? Do you want to see their toddler/child years? How much do you want to see?

I love it when people have interesting stories to tell about toddlers and kids, but don't do it unless there's some character development or they meet their spouse really young, or have a cool group of friends, something like that.

I would say at least one chapter in each phase just so we can see them and get an update on family dynamics. But if there's story there worth telling, you give us as much as you'd like!
  • Options
    Arrowleaf wrote: »
    Skcaga6 wrote: »
    Finally caught up. As for your question, I think it depends on the story. I can tell you that writing from a toddlers point of view is fun. I did that for one chapter just to introduce her. As for the childhood years, it depends on what is happening with that child. I have a lot of children in my story, but the focus was mostly on the one who had been kidnapped. Now that they are all teenagers, they are coming more into play. It is going to depend on your story and what works best for what you have planned.

Now to comment on what I read.... Jason is SOOOO dang cute! One question, is Willow Catholic? I know they feel that divorce is a sin. Most other religions allow it. My own divorce was okay by my church, but not my ex-husbands. I can say that if anybody told me that I was a sinner because I am divorced they would get an earful about murder being a bigger sin and that being the path my marriage was on because of the abusive plum I was married to. Since there was no mention of abuse between Jay and Helen, I can see Willow feeling the way she does due to her religious beliefs. She should be more tolerant of those with different beliefs however.

@Skcaga6 Thank you for your input! I'll probably end up including what I feel like needs to be included and go from there.

I didn't name a religion for them because I did not want to ruffle any feathers, but no, she is Christian. Divorce in Christianity is allowed but only in particular circumstances (abuse, sexual immorality or if your spouse tries to lead you away from God) otherwise it is considered a sin that one can repent for in most churches. Willow Creek is a small town in this story and very conservative (it's based on a town I lived in for a year as a pre-teen and it had the most... strict? church I have ever attended). I'm sorry to hear about your abuse and want to stress that I do not think divorce is a sin for any reason. My plum donor (because I will never call him my father) was abusive to my mother so I have nothing but respect and admiration for your experiences and your strength at getting out of there. But yes, you are right, there was no abuse between Helen and Jay. Jay simply isn't and was never in love with her and decided to set her free (and himself) so they can both find happiness even though he knew the judgement he would get from basically everyone in his hometown.

Okay, now I'm confused. I was raised Christian (Baptist denomination specifically), and divorce definitely isn't considered a sin. What denomination of Christianity are they?
  • Options
    I forgot to respond to the chapter! I am glad they're reconciling, though I do wonder what's going to happen the next time Willow does something he doesn't approve of.

I'm still looking at Christina with the side eye, but... If Willow wants to be her friend again at all, she should go fix it like right now. She can't miss her best friend's wedding and wedding planning. Their friendship may not recover from her missing that.

I can't imagine how that talk will go though. Willow: Hey Tina. I know you're a judgy jerk who has been undermining my relationship with your brother until he stopped trusting me, but hey, we've been friends forever, why stop now??
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Okay, now I'm confused. I was raised Christian (Baptist denomination specifically), and divorce definitely isn't considered a sin. What denomination of Christianity are they?

Their church is the Church of Christ (Protestant Christian denomination). I never attended a Baptist church, so forgive me if I get any details wrong (they're all coming from a friend of mine that attends one, and many churches of the same denomination still teach different interpretations of the bible), but unlike Baptist they believe that you do have to be baptised in order to be saved, that faith is not enough to save someone, that musical instruments in service are not allowed and a bunch of other stricter interpretations than a lot of churches.

The old testament refers to divorce as a sin and the new testament reinforces it in Matthew 19:3-6
    3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Most churches, even Church of Christ, don't strictly 'enforce' this, but I have been to quite a few in smaller towns that do.
    Post edited by Arrowleaf on
    4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    I forgot to respond to the chapter! I am glad they're reconciling, though I do wonder what's going to happen the next time Willow does something he doesn't approve of.

I'm still looking at Christina with the side eye, but... If Willow wants to be her friend again at all, she should go fix it like right now. She can't miss her best friend's wedding and wedding planning. Their friendship may not recover from her missing that.

I can't imagine how that talk will go though. Willow: Hey Tina. I know you're a judgy jerk who has been undermining my relationship with your brother until he stopped trusting me, but hey, we've been friends forever, why stop now??

Mhmmm. That is a very valid concern to have and one that should be on Willow's mind.

Haha, I can completely understand why you feel that way towards Christina. We will find out soon whether or not Willow makes up with her because, as you mentioned, it would be hard for her to make up with her after the wedding passed (especially since she was supposed to be the maid of honor).
    4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    Thanks for explaining the religious background of these characters. I know you didn't want to go into full detail, so I appreciate it. I can only imagine what they'll come up with if they're strictly following the bible and everything it says is a sin.

Do they follow the instructions for the three festivals in the old testament? That would actually be really cool to do since Willow is a farmer. I knew someone who was a type of Christian that actually celebrated those festivals, they was a lot of fun to attend.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for explaining the religious background of these characters. I know you didn't want to go into full detail, so I appreciate it. I can only imagine what they'll come up with if they're strictly following the bible and everything it says is a sin.

Do they follow the instructions for the three festivals in the old testament? That would actually be really cool to do since Willow is a farmer. I knew someone who was a type of Christian that actually celebrated those festivals, they was a lot of fun to attend.

No problem! I don't mind talking about it, I just worry about offending people and I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to portray Christian's in a bad light. You'll see the Landon's go from very strict bible interpretations to a more modern day interpretation as the generations pass. While they do follow a stricter belief system than most right now, they still believe that Jesus died for their sins and thus that they no longer have to do a lot of rituals that are present in the old testament (they don't have to sacrifice anything, nor are women considered dirty when they are on their period, and seafood and pork is fine to eat). I was always taught that the three festivals were more a Jewish thing, but they may celebrate the first and last harvests. I'll have to look up what they entail more, but that is a very cool idea.
    4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    As a Christian, I'm glad my church isn't strict like this. I could never go to churches that think women have to wear skirts below the knee, never wear makeup, and never dye/cut their hair short. I'm the opposite of that :lol: The Bible never says specifically how a woman should dress, besides for saying it should be modest. (Which I agree honestly- I think it's fine to wear crop tops and shorts, as I like to wear them, as long as you're not showing off too much like shorts that go up your butt, etc). It really p*sses me off when churches are judgemental about these kinds of things though. The only thing church should be about is saving others and being true Christians- or whatever religion you may be- not being concerned about how people are dressed.
  • Options
    As a Christian, I'm glad my church isn't strict like this. I could never go to churches that think women have to wear skirts below the knee, never wear makeup, and never dye/cut their hair short. I'm the opposite of that :lol: The Bible never says specifically how a woman should dress, besides for saying it should be modest. (Which I agree honestly- I think it's fine to wear crop tops and shorts, as I like to wear them, as long as you're not showing off too much like shorts that go up your butt, etc). It really p*sses me off when churches are judgemental about these kinds of things though. The only thing church should be about is saving others and being true Christians- or whatever religion you may be- not being concerned about how people are dressed.

I agree. I can't stand being in strict churches. I was a Sunday school teacher in one as a teenager and I was always 'in trouble' with the elders for how I behaved or what I wore, ect ect. I was pretty alt in high school (bright red hair or other random colors, thick eyeliner, ect) and everyone loved me, but they thought I made a bad impression on the kids. lol

Luckily, their church isn't that opinionated on what people wear. Granted, there is an expected amount of modesty, but people are not going to get harshly judged for wearing heavier makeup (Christina wears pretty thick makeup) or showing their stomachs (Willow sometimes wear a hoodie that exposes her mid-drift when she lifts her hands, ect) in their everyday life. I will say that next generation there will be quite a bit of hypocrisy, but I feel that is common with parents (or at least parents I have known).
    4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    Very common for parents to be hypocrites. Now I think it's okay for me to wear crop tops, so long as I not showing my stomach too much. Now, when my mom was my age? She wore shirts that stopped just under her chest! She basically did the whole underboob look before the kardashians did! Lol.
  • Options
    Hey guys. I wanted to explain my absence because I know it has been a while since I updated (again).

My desktop blew up. I mean, not literally, but there was a power surge about three weeks ago at my house and since then my computer won't turn on. I was hoping it would be an easy fix but Geek Squad won't touch it and my friend couldn't fix it. I'm STILL talking to the companies that make the motherboard and PSU in order to get new parts (they're under warranty) but so far they've been less than helpful. I really miss writing and playing the sims in general, so I might break down and buy a new one soon. The only issue is that it's a lot of money because I'd want a high-end gaming desktop. Hopefully I will be back with more Landon's soon, though!

TL;DR

My desktop isn't working. Will hopefully be back in less than month.
    4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    winterbaby20winterbaby20 Posts: 2,413 Member
    @Arrowleaf I know your pain. My current laptop works fine but running the sims 3 on it causes it to get hot really quickly and it freezes the game immediately when the save opens. so I'm saving up for a gaming laptop. nobody told me I would suffer through sims 3 withdrawal.
  • Options
    @Arrowleaf I feel you on the laptop issues. Mine were self-inflicted when I spilled a glass of wine on my keyboard, but I still feel your pain. Hopefully it works out soon. Shelling out the money was no fun, but I am much happier with my gaming laptop. Whether you fix your old one or get a new one, I will be very happy for you once you can play again!
  • Options
    @Arrowleaf I know your pain. My current laptop works fine but running the sims 3 on it causes it to get hot really quickly and it freezes the game immediately when the save opens. so I'm saving up for a gaming laptop. nobody told me I would suffer through sims 3 withdrawal.

Hahaha, I know the sims withdrawal too well! I hope you got your new laptop and managed to get your Sims fix. ;]
    @Arrowleaf I feel you on the laptop issues. Mine were self-inflicted when I spilled a glass of wine on my keyboard, but I still feel your pain. Hopefully it works out soon. Shelling out the money was no fun, but I am much happier with my gaming laptop. Whether you fix your old one or get a new one, I will be very happy for you once you can play again!

Oooo! I didn't know you spilled win on your keyboard. I hope you got any issues it caused resolved!

4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    Update:

I got my desktop fixed! It was a huge hassle but ended up costing me nothing (I had to fight with ASUS for a month but whatever) which means I can officially begin updating this legacy again! I am super excited to get things rolling and will probably begin regular updates on Monday! I miss you all and am so grateful for everyone being so understanding even though it took a lot longer than I wanted. <3
    4s8gctV.png
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    I MISSED YOU!
    snvAF3B.png