Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I get it?

1235...Next

Comments

• GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    edited July 2017
    Bessieboo wrote: »
    If I'm a sim in someones game I wish they would give me nicer hair. :'(

maybe your creator really likes your hair? Here too are people with 'weird' tastes. You never know.
  • Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    The funny thing is this all sounds very silly but if you take it out of sims context it just sounds like any basic religion.
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    The funny thing is this all sounds very silly but if you take it out of sims context it just sounds like any basic religion.

Now you say it. And we're going very off-topic...Whatever. It's interesting.
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    Nope, nope, nope. The Watcher is real, bladder failure is real, but Rosebud doesn't do anything and I haven't gotten rich or promoted to CEO of MegaCorp yet and I have worked there for years. :/ Plus, my painting skill is still at 0, I am about to age up to Elder and I don't have a Young Again potion anywhere in sight. :'(
    ...unless the Watcher left the game running and went to bed... :o
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2017
    @CrazyCandySims Sorry back to you, I thought you were being sarcastic. Truth is all Sims games have rabbitholes. Sims 3 has a couple that shouldn't have been rabbitholes though (restaurants in the basegame, the prom, the riding school). It's as if the rabbithole building solution - which in itself works great in my opinion - made them lazy at times and kept them from creating an open venue where they should have. The gym, the library and the museum have always been open, but I find them rather boring to be honest.
    igazor wrote: »
    The ratio of pointless arguments to meaningful dialogue on this thread has diminished considerably over the past day or so. Let's see what we can do to boost that up again.

When I play TS3, as far as I know no one can see me or see what I am doing. If there happen to be others in my household, they would be able to carry on with whatever they were doing without me being present. My moodlets fluctuate. When I am finished, I often have to rush to take care of my own basic needs before something horrible happens.

Therefore, TS3 itself is all one very large real life rabbithole in a real life open world and many of us wouldn't have it any other way. Discuss. >:)
    Lol, well, what's there to discuss. I think we've all been there :p

P.s. Yes, and what Namaya92 says. I'm convinced that when I walk into a room to do something but I don't remember what, someone canceled the instruction.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Nope, nope, nope. The Watcher is real, bladder failure is real, but Rosebud doesn't do anything and I haven't gotten rich or promoted to CEO of MegaCorp yet and I have worked there for years. :/ Plus, my painting skill is still at 0, I am about to age up to Elder and I don't have a Young Again potion anywhere in sight. :'(
    ...unless the Watcher left the game running and went to bed... :o
    And why oh why when I hit the sink with a wrench it breaks, instead of becoming unbreakable...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • BluessunBluessun Posts: 139 Member
    Or why everyone doesn't gather around a housefire to hold their heads and dance like lunatics without shoes on broken glass..
    Sims 3 PC monitor is discontinued due severe freeze and/or sunburn! Yeah, I'm a nut, so give me a cracker... With cheese, please..
    "I knew this was a great idea! But you should have told me how bad it actually is..."
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    @JoAnne65 - I wasn't trying to present a controversial argument, just a pointless one. ;)
    And I suspect that you are in reality hitting the wrench with the sink. I bet that wrench is unbreakable now.

@1need4kaffee - There might be some slight misunderstandings about how some of these things are supposed to work.
    MegaCorp: If you were late every day and spent the rest of the time snoozing in the break room or socializing at the water cooler, then you don't get the bonuses or promotions.

Painting skill zero: Didn't bother to take a class or have the skill books read to you as a toddler first, did you? Randomly slopping paint on a canvas gives you something to hang in your living room, it doesn't give you that first skill point.

No Young Again Potion: LTR points come with hard work at being happy and promised wish fulfillment, not by just existing until the Elder stage. We would refer to the latter as an inflated sense of entitlement.

Rosebud: Okay, fair enough. I'll give you that one.

May I suggest trying this all again, but perhaps read the Tutorial screens along the way next time? :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • RoggieBearRoggieBear Posts: 243 Member
    Okay --- Only got through 3 pages, took a break for a while, forgetting about how popular this is.... Wow! $7.97! And, I know Game Stop is Very reliable (my family shops there often) The game, plus two packs, for only $8! @MemoriiValentine, thank you so so much for pointing this out!!! This has upped my chances of getting it, for sure!
    ef9eb77d415cabaae36ff6de0598edad--tms-entertainment-cat-cat.jpg

Inspired +1 - Who isn't inspired after seeing the cutest thing ever come out of the banana they were eating?

RoggieBear
    igazor wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 - I wasn't trying to present a controversial argument, just a pointless one. ;)
    And I suspect that you are in reality hitting the wrench with the sink. I bet that wrench is unbreakable now.

@1need4kaffee - There might be some slight misunderstandings about how some of these things are supposed to work.
    MegaCorp: If you were late every day and spent the rest of the time snoozing in the break room or socializing at the water cooler, then you don't get the bonuses or promotions.

Painting skill zero: Didn't bother to take a class or have the skill books read to you as a toddler first, did you? Randomly slopping paint on a canvas gives you something to hang in your living room, it doesn't give you that first skill point.

No Young Again Potion: LTR points come with hard work at being happy and promised wish fulfillment, not by just existing until the Elder stage. We would refer to the latter as an inflated sense of entitlement.

Rosebud: Okay, fair enough. I'll give you that one.

May I suggest trying this all again, but perhaps read the Tutorial screens along the way next time? :p

Ha ha! I love this! I actually always think about this... In the Sims 4, the sims can play "Sims Forever" If the sims have sims games, then who knows -- they might not know they're sims! The same COULD be with us too... And now, The Humans 4 is released... ha ha!

Thank you to Everyone who helped me consider -- I am only a teen, so first I will have to ask my parents, but if I was older, and didn't have to ask then, my answer would be a complete YES. This took a half hour too read through all these responses, skipping some, if they looked too long or the person had already commented... AKA, the "merry-go-round" thing. I'm glad that I haven't seen any of these responses, and would really appreciate it if we could keep the arguing to a limit, as I tend to have to read EVERYTHING, and this really takes away my convincing parents time... ha ha! I actually had forgotten about this -- good people continued to comment! Thanks so much to anyone who didn't get into the "nostalgic value" argument -- I know those who did were just trying to help out or clear things up for others, but it started getting really annoying... I feel like now, the fewer people comment, the better -- if you have something important, like a bad glitch, or a really cheap price, feel free to say so. If you say something someone else had already said, that's understandable, if this wasn't my chat I wouldn't have read through it either... Thanks again, and I'll tell you all whether I ended up getting it or not!!!

Inspired +1 - Who isn't inspired after seeing the cutest thing ever come out of the banana they were eating?

RoggieBear
    edited July 2017
    Oh Sims 3 has some bad glitches and bugs, you will always have to take that into account. But if you will get the game this place is filled with people who will help you out if you have questions. There are two basic advises I think when you start playing:
    1. Create a Mods folder (you'll need a tutorial for that because it doesn't come automatically like Sims 4 does) and install at least NRaas Overwatch and Errortrap
    2. When you start playing, never save and quit. Always choose save or better even save as, giving your save a new name (number them for instance). Sims 3 doesn't have autosave, so by renaming saves you can always go back to the previous one. After a while, when your saves folder gets too full, you can always delete the old ones. Sims 3 has a very user friendly Saves system (you can easily recognize them in the TS3 folder).
    5JZ57S6.png
    Nraas Saver will do that automatic saving for you and you can choose the number of cycles.
    Sims 3 PC monitor is discontinued due severe freeze and/or sunburn! Yeah, I'm a nut, so give me a cracker... With cheese, please..
    "I knew this was a great idea! But you should have told me how bad it actually is..."
    Bluessun wrote: »
    Nraas Saver will do that automatic saving for you and you can choose the number of cycles.
    Is that a save or a save as system? Or can you choose?
    5JZ57S6.png
    Save as I think. In settings you can choose how often in real minutes it saves (default 30min) and how many (default 4). It promts you as every save and you can change your savename there again if you like. By default it goes like this every 30min, whateversavename, whateversavename1, whatevesavename2 and so on.
    Oh and when the highest number is used (default 4), it will start the numbers over.
  • MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    RoggieBear wrote: »
    Okay --- Only got through 3 pages, took a break for a while, forgetting about how popular this is.... Wow! $7.97! And, I know Game Stop is Very reliable (my family shops there often) The game, plus two packs, for only $8! @MemoriiValentine, thank you so so much for pointing this out!!! This has upped my chances of getting it, for sure!

If you can't find a physical copy, then they might be able to issue a code for that price . You may have to show them the page but it's pretty cheap for three packs .
    Happy Simming!♥
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member

@igazor I sat bemused wondering, "How does he know?" It came to me in the middle of the night. Igazor IS the Watcher!!!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @igazor I sat bemused wondering, "How does he know?" It came to me in the middle of the night. Igazor IS the Watcher!!!
    You could do worse for an unasked for Overlord, but no. Let's not confuse remarkable perception (or just being lucky at getting things right sometimes) with some kind of godlike or magical powers, they aren't quite the same things. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited July 2017
    @RoggieBear
    i know all PC sims games starting with the year 2000
    for me is despite all its problems & even some severe limitations TS3 still the most accomplished sims game offering the most sims feel out there

you would be missing an essential The Sims exerience if you wouldn't play TS3
    this is the formula of The Sims imo

& yes, i would recommend too to get it on Steam when they make there some bargain again,
    you can get it at an extremely low price & a considerable amount of additional content on top
    TS3 is worth every money you can spend meantime on it, you won't regret it

the only agravating problems you will probably run fast into with TS3 is you need to reduce your way to play the game if you don't own enough computing power
    TS3 is a beast of a game & that beast was caged in a 32bit engine, add to that bad optimization & you will inevitably have problems playing it
    but fortunately there are mods to at least eleviate many of those problems, so it's not completely hopeless :smile:

a side note
    if you come from TS4 & go to TS3 then there is also TS2 & later on TS1 :wink:
    cause the The Sims journey covers all its iterations, every single of them is a unique experience & i wouldn't want to miss any of it
    for me it's not nostalgia, The Sims franchise is just still among the best gaming experiences i ever made - despite all quarrels & problems with it :joy:

@JoAnne65
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @CrazyCandySims Sorry back to you, I thought you were being sarcastic. Truth is all Sims games have rabbitholes. Sims 3 has a couple that shouldn't have been rabbitholes though (restaurants in the basegame, the prom, the riding school). It's as if the rabbithole building solution - which in itself works great in my opinion - made them lazy at times and kept them from creating an open venue where they should have. The gym, the library and the museum have always been open, but I find them rather boring to be honest.

the problem with basegame's open & actively playable venues is interactions & animations
    the basegame has to be affordable, with what players expect to be basic it's just not doable because it requires an amount of complex work
    other games contain a fraction of interaction, freedom, creativity tool & animations of what a sims game usually contains, it's way cheaper to produce non interactive content in games
    the nearest to the sims franchise's interactive tool content is probably what Minecraft has & Dwarf Fortress, both games still are heavily reduced already beginning with their graphics but further with the way the creatures can be directed in those games
    The Sims franchise is the only game where true rotational gameplay is possible, every other game out there has at best few playable characters, in most cases the character played is just an avatar or even only parts of it like in first person gameplay, every other character in those games is a preprogrammed & prerecorded role limited in interactions with the player directed character, this makes nearly all games out there way easier & cheaper to make than a sims game

rabbit holes are a solution to that complexity
    i don't expect a fleshed out realistic base game with all open interactive venues
    but i wish the devs would consider to introduce upgrades to that non-interactive content of rabbit holes through expansions to make the same venues playable fully active, interactive & fully designable
    i just know it cannot be made affordable with the basegame already
    & that's why it botheres me a great deal that already TS3 introduced the extremely reduced appartments & TS4 went even more limited there - i just plainly hate it how that plays - for me those apartment houses is not a The Sims game
    after the freedom of building & playing apartments in TS2 are TS3's & TS4's solutions to that very bitter for me to deal with, after all those years my position about those apartments didn't changed for the better

nevertheless, TS3's base game offers despite all the rabbit holes quite an amount of interaction & complexity
    compared to TS4's base game i'd guess it was at TS4's launch at least 3 times as much,
    only the later updates reduced that ratio considerably, foremost the todds update
    compared now after nearly 3 years TS4's base game is at half of interaction options of TS3's base game imo

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
    @Rukola_Schaaf Yes, I basically agree with you. I do wonder by the way why they never managed to make shops and restaurants as fun and fleshed out like in Sims 2. Was it because they never planned to add that and only created those things for the complaining fanbase in passing, more busy working on other content? Did they figure sims wanting to eat together wasn't important enough to bother? Or was it the engine and Sims 3 system that made it so hard to do.

I'm playing apartment style at the moment by the way and to some extent it works (I turned a couple of sims into roommates and set doors and beds in order to make them use the proper buildings). The roommates however aren't living a real life, and I highly regret that. They cook, they eat, they sleep, they talk to each other (a lot, which is nice). But they don't go to their jobs (in fact they don't go anywhere), they don't clean (including the neat ones), they don't repair stuff, that's just disappointing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Rukola_Schaaf Yes, I basically agree with you. I do wonder by the way why they never managed to make shops and restaurants as fun and fleshed out like in Sims 2. Was it because they never planned to add that and only created those things for the complaining fanbase in passing, more busy working on other content? Did they figure sims wanting to eat together wasn't important enough to bother? Or was it the engine and Sims 3 system that made it so hard to do.

I'm playing apartment style at the moment by the way and to some extent it works (I turned a couple of sims into roommates and set doors and beds in order to make them use the proper buildings). The roommates however aren't living a real life, and I highly regret that. They cook, they eat, they sleep, they talk to each other (a lot, which is nice). But they don't go to their jobs (in fact they don't go anywhere), they don't clean (including the neat ones), they don't repair stuff, that's just disappointing.

@JoAnne65
    yes, shops & restaurants are another sore point of TS3 :confounded:

i still don't have any at least satisfactiory solution to shops but the restaurants i played in my RH game were so far ok with the ITF options
    it's not ideal but at least it has a feel of somewhat restaurant

& absolutely, how TS2 managed restaurants & shops is hands down the best so far, TS4 doesn't do it better either

about apartments
    i personally dislike roommates, i consider them rather a nuissance & for the game another source to bug out, so i don't use them at all
    as a replacement to apartments i prefer to build small houses on the smallest available lot 10x10 in bunches as near to each as possible
    with houses built that way since it's open world so you see the neighbors visiting each other, there are parties going on, sims go to work, go out & your sim can visit the neighbors as long they are there, it's a pretty busy area

but i also want to test the key mod from MTS how that works & if it works with townies & roles sims as well

what bugs me with TS4 is how the game manages objects of the same kind on a lot, they seem to be one object with several entrances & sims use any of the objects of the same kind no matter the object the player directed the sim to use, it's very annoying & absolutely preventing to play several parties on one lot, i tested it, it just doesn't work despite the option to close doors, the sims just run to the "entrance" of an object they fancy & that might be the other sim's dwelling behind closed doors
    at least TS3 has not that sort of a problem :tongue:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • GegeGege Posts: 2,548 Member
    RoggieBear wrote: »
    I have Sims 4 and am interested to see how much Sims changed since the last game... Do you think I should get sims 3? If so, why? If not, why not? Also, do you think Sims 4 is better or worse (if you play Sims 4)? Thank you so much!!!

It would cost me about 10 US dollars. I can convert to pounds/other money if you specify in the chat if price matters!!!

This question always has the potential to become a tender box for diverging sides but it seems like folks are providing some valuable feedback either way. If you haven't already, I'd suggest looking at some let's plays on youtube. There are hundreds and/or check out reviews for the game. Lazy Game Reviewer on youtube is a good source to tell you more about what you really want to know, and then if you feel like its worth it hunt down the best bargain and go with that. Although this question has generated a lot of feedback, including my own, it really won't do more than tell you what you already know; some people prefer sims 3 over 4 and vice versa but deciding to pay and play comes down to what you want not anyone else.
    mWC1gjz.gif
    I haven't been on for a while, but I decided not to. As many of you said, it will take a lot more data than my computer currently has, and I can't afford a new one... also, the main reason was so I could get the pets pack... but now that came out on Sims 4, so... I have it already! Thanks for all the feedback though!

RoggieBear