Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Alpha hair looks so awful

Not all of it. There are some good hairs. But I had to scrap a ton of alpha hair I recently downloaded after uploading the game because it look like shiny scrap metal :p

Comments

• Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    Turning off lap top mode and lowering your display settings may help with the look of Alpha Hairs.
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    @Bananas_45 Oh, I don't have laptop mode on . But thanks anyway <3
  • FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    that's not very nice.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Falynios wrote: »
    that's not very nice.

What you on about?

• BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Falynios wrote: »
    that's not very nice.

What you on about?

He's always leaving awkward , passive aggressive comments on posts ;) I think it's a past time for him lol @IngeJones

• spiffehspiffeh Posts: 41 Member
    > @BrownGamerGurl1 said:
    > Not all of it. There are some good hairs. But I had to scrap a ton of alpha hair I recently downloaded after uploading the game because it look like shiny scrap metal :p

I totally agree. I can't get on board with the alpha hairs.
  • ToreshinboToreshinbo Posts: 561 Member
    Sorry but what is Alpha?
  • CxpmemeCxpmeme Posts: 76 Member
    @Toreshinbo In the Sims 4, Alpha is referring to realistic cc i guess. Like Alpha hair, for example. It looks more realistic than Clay hair (BTW Clay/Maxis Match is the original game style)
  • mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I like Alpha hair for Sims 3 and I like....B-beta??? Slightly less alpha hair for The Sims 2, but it clashes so strongly with the TS4 aesthetic, I can't stand it. Unless, of course, you download enough realistic looking CC for TS4 that it doesn't clash anymore...
  • xX_IKONxX_IKON Posts: 2 New Member
    I like Alpha and Maxis Match I'm never going to talk badly about somebody's creation just because I don't like it.
  • SonjaCopelandSonjaCopeland Posts: 65 Member
    I like alpha hair, but it just isn't for me, I used it for a while but got sick of it, the creators did really good jobs on them though!
  • Chuck_DegenerateChuck_Degenerate Posts: 44 Member
    I love the mesh of so many alpha hairs, so I've recently looked into clayifying them. It takes time and patience (and doesn't always look amazing, depending on the color), but at least it's more Maxis-like. I was all about alpha hairs in TS2, though. :P
  • StarSarahStarSarah Posts: 931 Member
    I agree but i prefer alpha look to maxi look. Guess you just have to find the right ones. Must be really hard to make them so grateful to all creators x
  • OoAtomicKittenoOOoAtomicKittenoO Posts: 47 Member
    I'm not a huge fan of Alpha hairs either, only because if certain hairs aren't from the same creator, it's hard to find matching colors.
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    spiffeh wrote: »
    > @BrownGamerGurl1 said:
    > Not all of it. There are some good hairs. But I had to scrap a ton of alpha hair I recently downloaded after uploading the game because it look like shiny scrap metal :p

I totally agree. I can't get on board with the alpha hairs.

Did make sure you weren't in laptop mode? That can sometimes correct the shiny.
  • TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited July 2017
    It's not the shininess in my opinion. It's the fact that the hairs aren't animated, so they just stick out in all directions looking like metal shards. You look at characters in black desert or vindictus, both games have shiny looking alpha hair and they look just fine.

Sadly it's just a limitation of the Sim's game engine.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • PyxieytPyxieyt Posts: 48 Member
    I prefer maxis match because...well.. They match the sims 4 perfectly. Alpha hair seems off. I would only use it for CAS videos if I wanted to be extra
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i used to use alpha cc and i think there are some great alpha hair creators out there like leah lillith and stealthic.
    but there are some that look so junky and the creators always use heavy filters and photoshop on their previews to deceive you into thinking they look good. i notice it's mostly the ones who use paysites too. :/
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    I dislike alpha hair too.

I guess it looks okay on sims in previous games. But in this game? It looks awful.

Alpha hair, to me, is just ugly. They are, almost, the OPPOSITE Of realistic to me. Or atleast in Sims 4. I mean, it isn't very "realistic" to have a bunch of sims in a cartoony world with clay hair that fits the game and then randomly a sim with alpha hair (which looks VERY different from clay hair). It is almost like that sim came from another planet is something.

For me, it also is not just the "it doesn't fit in with the game" thing. Alpha hair has other problems too, for me.
    For one, most alpha hairs are so, so, so, so, so long. It is almost unrealistic.
    Also, some of the hairs have this weird shine to them. I mean, I am PRETTY SURE real life hair does not shine, or atleast as much as alpha hair does...
    And, finally, alpha hair looks greasy. And unkept. 'Nuff said there.

I don't like alpha hair.
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• MadRadMandeeMadRadMandee Posts: 110 Member
    There's some GORGEOUS alpha hair styles, but I don't really like the way it looks in game either. Even with settings up high and laptop mode off I just feel like they end up looking stringy. Maxis match hair is my favorite :)
  • SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    There are some amazing alpha hairstyles, and even some I downloaded back when I had the Sims 3... But I hate how they look for the Sims 4; they're just too realistic looking for the Sims 4. Maxis match is my favourite, though.
    giphy.gif
  • ResSteelResSteel Posts: 63 Member
    Personally for me, Alpha hair just looks out of place.
  • motleydreammotleydream Posts: 44 Member
    I download a combo platter. Good Alpha hair is great, but if it's poorly made... it just looks metallic, like you said. I've got a good mix of Alpha and MM and a few that are sort of hybrids, to me.
  • fharlzfharlz Posts: 9 New Member
    On the other side - I really dislike Maxis Match? I don't know, I find it super plasticy looking. But then again, pretty much nothing in my game is maxis match. Just preference, I guess.