Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Small update coming to the PC version of The Sims 3

Comments

• Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have a very technical question:
    In the last couple months, I added a lot more ram to my PC, and I also ended up dramatically increasing the pagefile size. I started with 6Gb ram and 2Gb pagefile, to then increase it to 8Gb ram and 4Gb pagefile to 16Gb ram and 32Gb pagefile. I also changed my 2Gb graphic card for a 4Gb one, twice as fast, and added a soundcard. In the same timeframe, I experienced a critical loss of performance in the game, up to a point when it was unplayable. For some unrelated reasons (disk management mostly), I decreased the pagefile to 16Gb, then to 4Gb, to then check the "No pagefile" option, and in the same timeframe, I noticed a significant regain in performance, though one of my key game ended up being corrupted. This is the only game I experienced this, as my MMOs and FPSes all seemed to enjoy the 16+32 config. So, is there an "optimal" ram size for the game? As the game is x32, I thought anything over 8Gb plus some extra pagefile would just go unnoticed by the game, but my experience shows it's far beyond mere coincidences.

Also, I already knew about the loss of performance related to excessive redundant ram, but I had read that it was only significant when reaching something like 128Gb ram or such.
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Branthor4000Branthor4000 Posts: 140 Member
    I still play and love the Sims 3, but have become more involved in the Sims 4, especially since the Vampire gamepack. I will never leave the Sims 3, however, and love the ability to basically do anything you wish. I am a horse breeder and love owning my huge horse farm. Pls do not mess up the Sims 3 with any unwanted updates.
  • ElliePlaysGamesElliePlaysGames Posts: 3 New Member
    awesome!
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Has there been anyone from EA who says recently that there is a small update coming for sims 3 as this is a Old Announcement started in 2015, and people are posting like it was just announced. I am wondering if there was a newer post concerning this. As this is old.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    Has there been anyone from EA who says recently that there is a small update coming for sims 3 as this is a Old Announcement started in 2015, and people are posting like it was just announced. I am wondering if there was a newer post concerning this. As this is old.
    No recent announcements, but this thread is "stickied" to the top of the TS3 General Discussion forum board and a similar one to the top of the TS3 Tech Issues board. So they do catch the attention of players who might not have seen them before.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor thanks I was beginning to think that a new update was coming. I hope that they will come back to the Sims 3 and add some worlds and some things. after all with all the people who are coming back, they would make some money. But I am not sure they can do that. They should have added some of the things in Sims 4 to sims 3, like the improvement in building, and doing two things at once. and a few other. they would have made a bundle. Sims 3 is the best. Too bad they went in the wrong direction. So many are coming back.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited March 2017
    @igazor thanks I was beginning to think that a new update was coming. I hope that they will come back to the Sims 3 and add some worlds and some things. after all with all the people who are coming back, they would make some money. But I am not sure they can do that. They should have added some of the things in Sims 4 to sims 3, like the improvement in building, and doing two things at once. and a few other. they would have made a bundle. Sims 3 is the best. Too bad they went in the wrong direction. So many are coming back.

I wish they would make new items for Sims 3 as well but can't see them doing that. That would almost be like admitting the direction taken with 4 (backwards) was wrong.
  • Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member

I wish they would make new items for Sims 3 as well but can't see them doing that. That would almost be like admitting the direction taken with 4 (backwards) was wrong.

Yeah... However, I think it would be a rather lucrative move to do so...
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    The one thing on my wish list for TS3 is a functional and efficient 64-bit executable. This type of "update" is long past due.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • IronboatLeeIronboatLee Posts: 154 Member
    Have to say again , this update with expansion manager is EXACTLY the thing we don't need.
    But they force us installing this utter trash for Origin usage, I'll never buy anything from Origin/EA .
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,643 Member
    Just a quick question.
    I had all automatic updated disabled to stop that last update through Origin, on both my TS3 launcher and in Origin.
    Last week I had to uninstall Origin and reinstall it as the last patch stopped the game from starting.
    Thankfully I noticed Origin was starting to update TS3 and I stopped it and have altered the settings again to non automatic updates.
    The question being, IF I hadn't had managed to stop the update, and it had updated; would that affect the game on my other laptop if that one hadn't updated in Origin?
    Would I still be able to play through the shortcut the old way without Origin interfering and forcing the updated version on me?
    Or would I be stuck with the updated version no matter what?
    MLgj4Vx.png
    @February11 - Could be missing something here, but I don't see any way in which an Origin controlled Patch 1.69 install on one computer could possibly have any effect on your install or game on a different computer.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,643 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    @February11 - Could be missing something here, but I don't see any way in which an Origin controlled Patch 1.69 install on one computer could possibly have any effect on your install or game on a different computer.

Good, you indirectly answered my question.
    I was asking if Origin did the final patch update on one computer, but not another one would it automatically update the second one, but I'm assuming you're saying no?
    MLgj4Vx.png
    February11 wrote: »
    I was asking if Origin did the final patch update on one computer, but not another one would it automatically update the second one, but I'm assuming you're saying no?
    More directly then, I am saying "No." :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    edited July 2017
    Hi, I have a silly question, how do you start the game by bypassing the Launcher?, as I have always used the launcher to start the game but keep reading about "not using the launcher" ( I'm trying other ways to start the game in order to disable Origin, (as I feel being watched by them non stop).
    Omaira wrote: »
    Hi, I have a silly question, how do you start the game by bypassing the Launcher?, as I have always used the launcher to start the game but keep reading about "not using the launcher" ( I'm trying other ways to start the game in order to disable Origin, (as I feel being watched by then non stop).
    If you have an Origin controlled game and are on Patch 1.69, there is no way to bypass Origin or the Launcher.

Players who can still do this are on Patch 1.67 (and below).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I was afraid that would be it, Plums! Thank you Igazor, as I will buy another computer in the not so far future I will make sure I don't get caught in the Origin latest update trap.
    There are also a couple of questions but as they have more to do with Nraas mods I will pop round the site and ask there.
    edited July 2017
    There are also a couple of questions but as they have more to do with Nraas mods I will pop round the site and ask there.
    We'll be there, waiting for you. :)

I neglected to mention above, if you are on Patch 1.69 one thing can do if you want is put Origin into Offline Mode every time you start it up. But you still have to be "logged in" (even if Offline) and the game still has to start from there, with the automatic hand-off to the Launcher. That's what I did for the last few months I was on 1.69 before finally switching over to Steam, not so much because I cared about being spied upon but Origin seemed to be more quietly minding its own business as I played that way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Well, this might just be happening to me but it's unnerving, the thing is, when I close the game I also have to close Origin from the tray and often it just wont close, so I am forced to close the computer even though Origin is still open.. and that is why I don't like it there all the time! luckily it has behaved itself and causes not many troubles, I have also played offline as you suggest and it's better that way, so I will try to do that always, but at the end of my play session Origin is there.. waiting.. like a stalker..
    I'm off to sleep now as it's nearly midnight here, but I will go to Nraas site tomorrow with my questions. Have fun all of you.
  • SIMplifiedSIMplified Posts: 4,536 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    We'll be there, waiting for you. :)

I neglected to mention above, if you are on Patch 1.69 one thing can do if you want is put Origin into Offline Mode every time you start it up. But you still have to be "logged in" (even if Offline) and the game still has to start from there, with the automatic hand-off to the Launcher. That's what I did for the last few months I was on 1.69 before finally switching over to Steam, not so much because I cared about being spied upon but Origin seemed to be more quietly minding its own business as I played that way.

What's this about spying? I'll switch over to steam once I'm done playing with 1.69 CAW.
  • MDPPatrickMDPPatrick Posts: 4 New Member
    Wow, this is the first I've ever heard of this update since I have a Mac. Does EA/Maxis even care about TS3 players anymore? Dang! I'm just going to quietly download the super patchers for both Mac and Windows in case those go down for some reason...
    Why is this thread still going, it confuses some people
    Why is this thread still going, it confuses some people
    Presumably so that players returning to the game after an absence of a couple of years can easily find and read 22 pages of misinformation (plus a few posts with the more accurate accounts here and there) about the "new" patch. It still, even two years later, takes some by surprise. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top