Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

When you feel you don't belong, here's a place where you can belong...

In a recent conversation in the Kindness Bench, several of us brought up that we sometimes don't really feel we don't belong anywhere in the forums... what if... what if we didn't belong together?

Here's a place that's somewhat in between the Writers' Lounge and Reading Circles:
  • It's welcoming, like the Writers' Lounge, while being more personal, so we don't feel like strangers passing through a busy cafe...
  • It's cozy, like a reading circle, without being a closed group or requiring a commitment to keep up with everyone's stories.

It's a place where you can drop in and be greeted by Simmers and writers who care about you, your Sims, and your stories. And whenever you need to, you can drop out, knowing that when you're able to return, you'll be warmly greeted again!

In other words, this is a place for friends.
Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    edited July 2017
    Let's build our community...

The great thing about intentional communities is that we can build them. We can decide what our customs and cultures are.

Here are some things I'd like to aim for in the community of this thread. This is work-in-progress, and I hope it to be a collaborative work--please share the qualities you'd like us to strive for, as well as offering revisions to this list.

The Fringe Culture:

1) Welcoming - You'll get a warm welcome when you drop in.
    2) Friendly - Your posts will get friendly responses.
    3) Inclusive - Everyone is welcome.
    4) Fluid - We're not fixed in one style but flow, responding to the moment
    5) Flexible - The guidelines and communications styles can be adjusted as needed
    6) Respectful - We listen, strive to see diverse view points, and honor each person as an individual. We respect each other's boundaries.
    7) Kind - We treat each other with kindness.
    8) Goofy and funny - Yeah, we've got to let loose sometimes!
    9) Personal - We get to know each other, asking after projects and stories. We do our best to remember each other, even when we need to take long breaks! :)
    10) Authentic - We don't pretend to be what we're not... and we don't have to because who we are is respected, welcomed, and appreciated.
    11) Open-minded - We know that we have diverse viewpoints, and we create space to listen to and consider each other's views, especially when they differ from our own.
    12) Accepting - We accept each other--with our differences, our uniquenesses, our strengths, our limitations, our quirkiness, and our sameness.

In a culture like this, we can be ourselves, wholly, and still belong.

**This is a draft! Please share your revisions, additions, and changes! What would you like to see this culture become?**

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    edited July 2017
    Our Customs

To create the culture that we want to build, a few guidelines can help along the way:
    1. When you post, acknowledge the person who posted before you. This can be as simple as saying "hi," or as involved as responding to and building on the points that person raised. One of the reasons many of us sometimes feel we don't belong is because we might post a comment, and no one will response or even acknowledge us. If we establish the custom of acknowledging the person who posted before us, then each of us will be "seen" and we won't feel invisible in this community.
    2. ?

**This is a draft and a work in progress: Please share your suggestions and ideas!

reserved? Or maybe not! :)

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

hi sis. see i acknowledged you but in my defense you can be hard to keep track of. your into everything at once. thats a compliment just didn't say it right.

hi sis. see i acknowledged you but in my defense you can be hard to keep track of. your into everything at once. thats a compliment just didn't say it right.

Hi, Sissy! :) I love that you're the first one to post here! You can always keep up with me! :D

Hi, Sissy! :) I love that you're the first one to post here! You can always keep up with me! :D

its hard sometimes but i try.lol.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited July 2017
    2nd comment its kinds of hard to get a word in edge wide on writer's lounge when it's like a coffee social at New Leaf's(which is why I don't go to New Leaf's one which is alternative wednesday/fridays)
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »
    2nd comment its kinds of hard to get a word in edge wide on writer's lounge when it's like a coffee social at New Leaf's(which is why I don't go to New Leaf's one which is alternative wednesday/fridays)

@MadameLee I know what you mean! It's fun to have so many conversations going on, but it is a little too noisy for an actual sustained conversation. It's more like shouting across a room...

I think maybe the extroverts might enjoy the lounge, while introverts like me sometimes need quiet corners...

@MadameLee I know what you mean! It's fun to have so many conversations going on, but it is a little too noisy for an actual sustained conversation. It's more like shouting across a room...

I think maybe the extroverts might enjoy the lounge, while introverts like me sometimes need quiet corners...

but everything you do gets popular so we might have the same problem here.
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    Hiii :D How has everyone been?
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~

Hi, @DreamsInPixels ! You found the Fringe! Awesome!

I'm doing really well. We've been having great rainstorms almost every day for the past three weeks--I think this is the first day we didn't get rain. My garden looks like a jungle!

How are you?

I sorta doubt it. We'll see!

I sorta doubt it. We'll see!

lol.

Hi, @DreamsInPixels ! You found the Fringe! Awesome!

I'm doing really well. We've been having great rainstorms almost every day for the past three weeks--I think this is the first day we didn't get rain. My garden looks like a jungle!

How are you?

That's so great! I love how lush my mom's garden was after our last rainstorm. One of the rainstorms wasn't all that great other than the thunder because our power was out for a couple hours and my dad was called out for fires caused by the lightning.

I'm doing okay. Packing here and there, because I'm moving in the spring. My mom is finally getting her knee replacement in October, so I'm here to help her recover then I'm good to go. I'm just worried and scared about leaving my parents, but I guess it's a natural thing to feel this way.

I've been outlining a story in my downtime, and been on a building spree. I just have writer's block lol.
    @DreamsInPixels Yeah, the summer rain is so great for gardens. That's pretty amazing that your dad is a firefighter--I bet the lightning strikes really cause trouble!

We haven't had that much lightening, surprisingly. It's mostly been thunderstorms building during the day, then tons of rain late afternoon or evening.

Are you interested in telling us about the story you're outlining, or do you want to keep it a surprise?

I love your stories! :)

I'm trying to not write tonight... I want to write, but I feel like if I do, I'll get bored and sleepy so the words will be all dull... so I think I'll read instead.

I'm on a Peter Levine kick right now... he writes about healing trauma through body awareness. It's the most inspiring thing I've read in ages!

I'm trying to not write tonight... I want to write, but I feel like if I do, I'll get bored and sleepy so the words will be all dull... so I think I'll read instead.

I'm on a Peter Levine kick right now... he writes about healing trauma through body awareness. It's the most inspiring thing I've read in ages!

i might regret asking but whats body awareness. i'm to tired to look it up,

It's feeling the body from the inside. It's a form of mindfulness. You notice the sensations within the body.

It's feeling the body from the inside. It's a form of mindfulness. You notice the sensations within the body.

awesome. i think i understood that.
    @DreamsInPixels Yeah, the summer rain is so great for gardens. That's pretty amazing that your dad is a firefighter--I bet the lightning strikes really cause trouble!

We haven't had that much lightening, surprisingly. It's mostly been thunderstorms building during the day, then tons of rain late afternoon or evening.

Are you interested in telling us about the story you're outlining, or do you want to keep it a surprise?

He's a volunteer firefighter. :D He's not well enough to do it fulltime. He drives the trucks, helps with the hoses, and makes sure they have everything they need for nonfire emergencies that he goes to. When he's not doing that, he's a department manager at Walmart.

It's a vampire story ;) No royalty this time, but snobby vamps and sad orphans. And a Sisterhood of vampires.

He's a volunteer firefighter. :D He's not well enough to do it fulltime. He drives the trucks, helps with the hoses, and makes sure they have everything they need for nonfire emergencies that he goes to. When he's not doing that, he's a department manager at Walmart.

It's a vampire story ;) No royalty this time, but snobby vamps and sad orphans. And a Sisterhood of vampires.

so lots of bloodsuckers. thats one of 2 things i know about vampires.

I guess you could say that :D Except the sisterhood are vegetarian so no live blood for them!

I guess you could say that :D Except the sisterhood are vegetarian so no live blood for them!

the other thing i know is vampires like gremlins can't handle sunlight.

the other thing i know is vampires like gremlins can't handle sunlight.

So very true. Heey maybe I should give the orphanage the gremlin lot trait, they'd be right at home.
  • AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    Hi everyone! This thread is such a cool idea! I already loved the thought of it in the Kindness Bench. <3

Your storyidea sounds cool @DreamsInPixels! I always enjoy a good vampire story. I will definitely check it out once you decide to start it!

Body awareness and mindfulness is interesting. I was actually inspired by Levine (and others) when I created my character for my Build Newcrest, because she's very spiritual. I've found so many interesting things through my research for her.