Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Working in a job for the first time!!

RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
How was your first day in your job? I just had my first time working today in Chipotle. Worked from 4pm to 11:40pm closing time with no break. I got great compliments from my manager a few times how great I was doing. He is not easily impressed he said. And I felt so proud and like I had a purpose in life lol, but so overworked and tired! I feel like an adult now. lol

So how did you guys felt after your first day of work? And if you haven't gotten a job, are you wanting to find your first job? Tell me anything about your job/future jobs guys! :)
tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif

Comments

• IgneousGeldingIgneousGelding Posts: 393 Member
    That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you. I want a job really bad, although I'm waiting until I get my gender dysphoria sorted out. ;)

There's a Biggbys close to where we live, and I freaking love their coffee. I'm probably going to apply for a job there, or I might try and apply to Starbucks, but I have bad ADHD that makes me forget what I'm doing or which thing does whatever (like what the controls are for a video game, for example,) and Starbucks is pretty high-pressure. And expensive. I want to get out in the world and experience life, even if it's just minimum-wage coffee-serving. Who knows? Maybe I'll get a discount. :D
    Origin ID: graple2001
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif
  • RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    edited July 2017
    That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you. I want a job really bad, although I'm waiting until I get my gender dysphoria sorted out. ;)

There's a Biggbys close to where we live, and I freaking love their coffee. I'm probably going to apply for a job there, or I might try and apply to Starbucks, but I have bad ADHD that makes me forget what I'm doing or which thing does whatever (like what the controls are for a video game, for example,) and Starbucks is pretty high-pressure. And expensive. I want to get out in the world and experience life, even if it's just minimum-wage coffee-serving. Who knows? Maybe I'll get a discount. :D

Yes, get a job only when you are ready since they require a lot of commitment, focus and hard work! At least my Chipotle store does, no lie I was just in, "working mode" and forgot about anything else out of my job. I waited also to apply for a job until I felt I was ready and I'm glad I did.

I get you, I also applied to Chipotle because I go there every time I want to eat and the vibe was just great for me. But man what a surprise to see how hard working these people who always smiled at me and provided me my food many times in the past are! I mean I had an idea but to actually be there working with them is another ball game. Makes you respect and appreciate more the people who work even in in the lowest minimun wage jobs possible because yes they work very hard no matter the pay! I mean keep trying to apply no matter if you got ADHD! Just maybe bring a notebook and note down what they teach you!They hire all types of people I applied like 3 times to Chipotle? And literally the third time they finally decided to call me for an interview and I had no work experience. It is a great learning experience really and does make you grow and makes you feel accomplished/proud/more grown no matter the pay. You also get to meet great people working with you. :) And you probably will get discounts, I get free meal and also get discounts and many benefits. :)
    tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
  • lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    @RARAW congrats!

When I was younger, people told me that being an adult was staying up late and eating ice cream for breakfast. I've done both; however, a more accurate description is that adulthood is looking both ways before you cross the street and getting hit by a boat.

@IgneousGelding when I worked at Chapters/Indigo (bookstore chain where I live) years ago, it had a Starbucks in it, and employees of either company got discounts at both. So you probably will too. :)

I was 14 when I got my first job: my dad was the manager at a pool & spa shop, and he offered to let me work with him; he also made me do up a resume and submit it to the store owner, who hired me. I was good at what I did (cash, water tests, customer service stuff), and I worked there during school breaks and holidays for almost 6 years.

As an adult, I worked in offices and call centres for years. I went back to school in my late 20s, so I left my soul-destroying call centre job (pro tip: never work at a call centre~ they are horrible) and picked up a part-time gig at a home furnishings store. I only work a couple of shifts a week, which is about all I can manage: if I'm not at work, I'm either at school or asleep.

Unfortunately, I've been on medical leave from both since shattering my left ankle back in February, and it doesn't look like I'll be going back to either this year. It's a long, boring slog of a recovery, but I'll see how things go after the pins are removed from my leg.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    It's my first work day ever too! ;):D I work in a factory that makes wellness stuff (jakuzzi etc.) and it's crazy. I woke up at 4:45 am and got home at 4 pm (less than an hour ago). I mean seriously, how many of you had to do overtime on your first day?
    But other than that, it wasn't that bad, the people are really nice and the job itself isn't hard. Of course I'm not going to spend the rest of my life there, but it's a good summer job :)
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    When I was younger, people told me that being an adult was staying up late and eating ice cream for breakfast. I've done both; however, a more accurate description is that adulthood is looking both ways before you cross the street and getting hit by a boat.

I hear that.

Also congrats @RARAW and @dorcsyful on your new jobs! I've been unemployed for over a year now, since last April and I've only ever had two paid jobs anyway. First when I was 14 I washed dishes in a pub kitchen for a few months - I didn't even really want that job but my neighbour who gave me a lift to my childcare placement (I did a day at a school every week as part of my GCSE) worked in the kitchen and asked me a few times if I was interested and eventually I gave in and said yes. I don't remember my first day but I do remember hating it. I never technically left either, I was more of a casual worker and one week I went in and they said they didn't need me that day and would call when they needed me again and they just never did, so I never went back xD

My second job I had from February-April last year, I worked in a gift shop in a National Trust place. It was alright, had to deal with a lot of entitled middle class customers but as far as minimum wage jobs go it was pretty good I think. :)
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I feel like 4-11:40 without a break is illegal. I know different regions have different regulations, and some have basically nothing. But always be aware of what they are where you are and don't let your employer ignore them. Learned that the hard way. Even if it's something you don't mind really, be aware, because there might be a lot more regulations they're breaking. I wish I'd been more informed and taken the warnings at my last job.

I know sometimes time just flies and you don't even think about it though. Or you might work it out with your employer that you don't want/need your break (I get it, sometimes you'd rather have money than an unpaid break). It's just good to be aware of the regulations if you aren't already.

My last job was also my first. It started out great, the manager and most of my coworkers were really nice. The pay was respectable for a first job in retail. I loved my first day there. I still miss the company it was then. It was quirky and odd and fun. And they respected their staff. I already knew the manager too, and the economy was really booming so basically the manager was just like "I really need staff" and I was like "I need a job..." and the next day I started. No interview or anything even lol. Which I LOVED because I have social anxiety and was absolutely mortified to even drop off applications, nevermind go on interviews. But my parents were forcing me to find a summer job, so I was terrified of not getting one. So when it basically fell into my lap it was the best lol

But it was the company from hell in the end. I literally cried with joy when they announced they were going out of business, they got what they deserved. It took time for the fact that I was about to be unemployed in a bad job market to set in. I was just SO happy karma was getting the company.
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    I just had an interview today. I've been searching for a spring/summer job but it's tough to find one where I live. @RARAW and @dorcsyful, I'm glad that your first days went well!
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    Lyoufln wrote: »
    I just had an interview today. I've been searching for a spring/summer job but it's tough to find one where I live. @RARAW and @dorcsyful, I'm glad that your first days went well!

@Lyoufln Good luck! Fingers crossed