The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there culling in sims 1?

siva20092403siva20092403 Posts: 631 Member
OK, I have been wondering about this for a long time. In Sims 1, is there culling? If not, is it possible to expand your neighborhood in having too many Sims? For example getting a couple to having kids and making the kids grow up via a magic spell.

Thanks.

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,934 Member
    No, there isn't. The Sims 1 doesn't generate townies all the time like in The Sims 4. The townie generation rules are that you must marry/ask townie to move in so game can create a new one.
  • siva20092403siva20092403 Posts: 631 Member
    Ok so that means in theory you could have an infinite number of Sims, right? By having kids and making them grow up.
    OK, so if the limit is reached, the game would crash? I guess culling does have its good points although it is still not perfectly executed in the later series of Sims.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    OK, so if the limit is reached, the game would crash? I guess culling does have its good points although it is still not perfectly executed in the later series of Sims.

Was that why you posted the question? To find a reason to think Culling is good? I bet the limit in TS is more than 210 Sims. :lol:

Actually that is not my intention. LOL! But what I am trying to say if culling would be perfectly executed, then the Sims would be a perfect game. But I guess to do this, takes a lot of hard work and immense programming knowledge. As things stand now, culling does more harm than good.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited July 2017
    I always got annoyed that my Community sites had less Sims turning up than other Simmers so it probably was regulated in some way depending on the capacity of your PC in those days. In the FAQ guides I read at the time there was no talk of limits or culling. I only learned things from the old internet newsgroups at the time.

I suppose the limits were only reached by playing on powerful PCs not even envisaged in 2000 - therefore crashing!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    The Sims population limit is not like TS2 or TS3, or TS4. The game never creates unnecessary townies unless one dies, gets married to your Sim or you decide to play them. Then the game will generate a necessary Sim to fill their spot. But you are confused. NPCs are not Townies in the older games. NPCs are characters (non playable) which you can't marry, move in, control or in some cases interact with, they are there to fill a fuction like the two Chinese girls (twins) selling Chinese food at the kiosk in SuperStar movie town. Or the two gouls selling gumbo in Magic Town...they can't be interact with other than to order. You could have a huge number (I never did know what it was but it was more than 20) on any lot if your processor was powerful enough back then. It makes more sense to depend on someone's processor power than to cull the friend your Sim just gained don't you think? Live lots could have thirty if people had a good enough processor...what do you see these days? Less than fifteen if any at the parks in TS4. Culling is not the solution.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It makes more sense to depend on someone's processor power than to cull the friend your Sim just gained don't you think? Live lots could have thirty if people had a good enough processor...what do you see these days? Less than fifteen if any at the parks in TS4. Culling is not the solution.

Then I am confused. Why does the Sims developers keep on allowing culling in their games since Sims 2?

• Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    It makes more sense to depend on someone's processor power than to cull the friend your Sim just gained don't you think? Live lots could have thirty if people had a good enough processor...what do you see these days? Less than fifteen if any at the parks in TS4. Culling is not the solution.

Then I am confused. Why does the Sims developers keep on allowing culling in their games since Sims 2?

Are you sure about this? I don't recall culling being an issue in TS2.
    The first I ever heard about it was when TS3 was launched.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I do not know anything bout Culling in the Sims 1 game, but for Me I had every single house filled in My neighborhood with no problems, and there is bout 10 neighborhoods in that game, :)
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited July 2017
    culling was first introduced with TS3
    TS1 & TS2 did NOT have any culling & the spawning was reasonably justified

i would have GLADLY bought a new PC solely to be able to handle all the necessary sims in TS4, sims necessary to my playstyle that is
    instead today's devs decide which sim is played & which is obsolete

culling makes me just angry
    same as spawning over which i have as little control as over culling

in the end
    random spawning & random culling are the two sides of the same coin

& I HATE IT
    ever have since it was introduced in TS3 & ever will

it has absolutely nothing to do with You Rule, nothing !
    it's the opposite
    it's lack of freedom to play a sims game the way i want to
    i am forced to play the way the devs think it's appropriate

btw
    atm i am again not playing TS3 because NRaas Register mod spawns butlers right & left blindly
    yeah
    every of the sims games has its own problems
    culling & spawning are not the problems of TS1 or TS2 though, for sure NOT

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
    Uzone27 wrote: »

Yes, you are correct. Culling started to appear in Sims 3. By the looks of it, I think it is an unnecessary feature in the Sims series. What do you guys think?
  • HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member

Yes, you are correct. Culling started to appear in Sims 3. By the looks of it, I think it is an unnecessary feature in the Sims series. What do you guys think?

i didn't notice culling at first, i feel like they added that later on? i wish they didn't =/
    GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    HeyHeyy wrote: »

i didn't notice culling at first, i feel like they added that later on? i wish they didn't =/

It was an issue from day one, but back then it wasn't called "culling" it was linked to Story Progression.

Players who switched families on the same save file were finding that their families would sometimes autonomously disappear from town entirely. It didn't affect everyone, mainly Simmers who populated their towns with a boatload of Sims.
    They fixed this issue with a patch fairly early on as I recall