Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are there so many tiny shorts ?

LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
Hi,

I would like to understand why the tiny shorts are so important for Maxis, there are 20 (of 35 shorts) in The Sims 4.

Honestly I looked at the women in the street in France, none of them wears this kind of clothing.

Is it specific to the USA ? Or is it very popular outside of USA ?

Do you need more tiny shorts in your game ?

-font-11.jpg
screen25.jpg

Comments

• MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Maybe the art team has a thing for ladies in tight small shorts?
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    If only they actually FITTED like short shorts are supposed to!
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Here where I live in the US they are very popular. They even make them for small kids. Yuck, I won't put them on my kids no matter how the other moms ooh and aww about how cute they are. *gag*

• BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    Tiny shorts are pretty popular here in Canada. I wear 'em, they're super comfortable when the summer heat becomes outrageous.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Hmm i guess I never really noticed. I don't live in the US and they are pretty common here as well. I see more high waisted ones though.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    They are pretty popular in England. But I do think there could be a better balance, ones which tend to be longer are usually more 'cargo' styled. Just a bit longer would be nice, I think many clothing options unless they are in a specific theme (like cool kitchen or parenthood) are made with teens/ya in mind. Some more variations for the kid shorts would be nice to see too.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2017
    Ever notice Maxis is always about five years behind in fashion? lol Seriously, short shorts are a thing of 1968. It must be a LA thing because no one here where I live and in the surrounding states and cities would be caught dead in short shorts anymore. ETA: The 80's are calling, The Dukes of Hazard want back their shorts. Tom Selleck (Magnum) said then he was too old to wear them then, do you think he would wear them now? Thirty years in the past. ETA: And those bell bottoms in game should have come in a '70's pack.

ETA: You might have to figure out which sitcom they are watching to get their ideas, in The Sims it was Drew Carey show, in TS2 I'm not sure, but TS3 it was Friends, and in TS4 it's been How I Met Your Mother...so, TV influences these guys a lot.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited July 2017
    I see them here in Arizona. Young adults, teens, and kids. But it is a bazillion degrees right now. :D
    They have always worn the shorties in LA.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    Some more mid-thigh styles would be nice, for diversity.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I don't wear them personally but if my sims can rock them why not? They are popular where I live because we have a lot of rivers/lakes near by and the women here throw them on before they run into stores or in the canoes or rafts while floating. I guess for everyday wear if they are your thing then rock them. But I agree a bit of diversity for more conservative/modest sims would be nice.
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Preamble of The Sims 4 Fashion Constitution:

We the Developers of the Sims 4, in Order to form a more perfect Sims Wardrobe, establish High Water Trousers for guy Sims, insure Bizarre, Quirky NPC outfits, provide for the Eye Defense from these Bizarre Outfits by the Fashion Police, promote the general Funkiness of Ethnic Garb, and secure the Blessings of Lady Sims Short Shorts to our Simselves and their Offsprting, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United Closets of Simsville. Amen.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited July 2017
    they're popular
    I actually do want more, for both the ladies and the men :D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    I agree that there are a lot, but you have to remember that the pictures you are showing are from a pack where people voted. So those two shorts are because more people wanted them (from between the options available). I didn't vote for the shorts, but I didn't vote for most of the pants either (just didn't like the design of most).
  • GegeGege Posts: 2,548 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Ever notice Maxis is always about five years behind in fashion? lol Seriously, short shorts are a thing of 1968. It must be a LA thing because no one here where I live and in the surrounding states and cities would be caught dead in short shorts anymore. ETA: The 80's are calling, The Dukes of Hazard want back their shorts. Tom Selleck (Magnum) said then he was too old to wear them then, do you think he would wear them now? Thirty years in the past. ETA: And those bell bottoms in game should have come in a '70's pack.

ETA: You might have to figure out which sitcom they are watching to get their ideas, in The Sims it was Drew Carey show, in TS2 I'm not sure, but TS3 it was Friends, and in TS4 it's been How I Met Your Mother...so, TV influences these guys a lot.

I see those shorts on mostly young women or teen girls or even tweenies in the summer. They are so not just 1968. All fashion comes back around. Bell bottoms came back in the 90s early 2000s. Right now there is a lot of Native American/aztec prints, cardigans, bell sleeves, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 skirts, palazzo pants and plaid shirts-- all recycled fashion.
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited July 2017
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't really like short-shorts, but if you wanna wear them, that's great! :) However, I know I would feel very uncomfortable in them, and I think I often project that in how I dress my Sims. It'd be great if they included more shorts (such as denim ones) for both men and women that are mid-thigh or knee-length.

Then again, I'm no fashionista and I wear a graphic tee or collared shirt with shorts or jeans everyday so don't ask me :D
    Post edited by Lyoufln on
  • GegeGege Posts: 2,548 Member
    @Otoyo They won't be included in the Eco-living SP, they din't receive enough votes.

That's good news. I'm an East Coaster in America and I'm not a fan of these, especially on young girls. I guess the argument would be that people walk around on the beach in a bikini which shows even more, but these shorts bare way too much imo. I don't think I've ever put my sim in a pair.

All this talk of beaches/summer and I'm hoping they release a new world like sunlit tides. Would love to have my sims swim in the ocean, surf, fish, boat, water ski etc. Could make it like a vacation spot.
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    edited July 2017
    @LeGardePourpre Oh well that must be good news :) means we will get some more pants. I guess maybe they find it easier to design shorts? Like maybe there isn't as much you have to do to make them?

I don't wear shorts irl, but I like some on some of my Sims. I do wish we had nicer long pants made for women. The male pants make the girls look weird and there are not lots of nice female options.
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2017
    i dont mind shorts, but these are overdoing it. why do they look like *boy cut underwear?
  • JasonPogoJasonPogo Posts: 504 Member
    Here in the North East everyone wears them. From 5 years old to 50.
  • FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    They are popular in NJ closer to the coast. My kids wear them too, but their shors ar little bit more covering than the ones in the OP picture.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Short shorts for women have been back for awhile now in the U.S. Might depend on what part of the country someone lives in. Fashion trends tend to start on the East and West coasts and work their way inward. As someone who grew up in Illinois and lived in Southern California for a number of years, I can say from my own observations that the Midwest (outside of a big city like Chicago) tends to be about 5 years behind the fashion trends in So Cal.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm in my 20s and the girls I'm with and I are currently wearing earth color tones shirts, sweaters and lace, no crop tops unless it's paired up with highwasted jeans or shorts which are usually white, black or military green and dark blue denim. As for shoes at least where I'm from we are wearing a lot of leather and platforms. Which idk if that's picking up anywhere else? We keep it really sober.

I think it would be cool to add more earth colors into the game. Also we really like the style from Top Shop. We buy most of our clothes there.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    I don't mind some of the short shorts, just as long as none of my males are wearing them.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Girls wear shorts like that in the South. I'm a fan