Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please New Careers Which Don't Include a PC

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
As the title says. After starting a new game for a different story in my head I noticed (but knew it for two years) all jobs in game have to use the Sim's computer. :s Can't we please have some ideas where no pc is required for a job? I'm sick of it to be honest.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited July 2017
    I think I'm missing something here, most careers don't require a computer already ? :/

Detective is pretty much the only one I can think of that requires one
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Well, there are a few more that require a computer to progress, I believe: Business, Tech Guru, Entertainer (Comedian branch) and Writer.
    But there are also quite a few that do not need a computer like Culinary careers, Entertainer (Musician branch), Athlete and Artist. So perhaps OP has certain careers in mind?
    Slightly off-topic, but I always wanted a typewriter in the game for eccentric, loner sims, living off of their poetry and their land.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
    The daily tasks aren't required though and most of the skills can be leveled without using the computer (using other objetcs, interactions, books).

I'm fairly sure you can even be a tech guru without ever touching a computer, using books to learn programming, and either the phone/books/console to learn video games. It may not be the easiest way, but if that's what fit the story, it's doable.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Sure, if you ignore the daily tasks then I agree.
    And a Tech Guru without a computer actually sounds like a pretty cool challenge. :)
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
    I'm not sure how much used the books are. Some of the latest skills introduced in the EP/GP didn't have one, so perhaps they aren't that much used. I like to have a bookcase with tons of skill books for my bookworm families.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2017
    Neia wrote: »
    The daily tasks aren't required though and most of the skills can be leveled without using the computer (using other objetcs, interactions, books).

I'm fairly sure you can even be a tech guru without ever touching a computer, using books to learn programming, and either the phone/books/console to learn video games. It may not be the easiest way, but if that's what fit the story, it's doable.

99% of the career tasks for all the careers require a computer. Don't you think it's overkill? I do. Tech guru (o.k. sure) Business, Writer, Detective, Doctor, Astronaut, etc. etc. I can't even think this morning how many more there are that need a pc in the house or to visit a lot with one in it. Aspirations also require a pc, it's just all over the place way too much use of a pc when you start to add it up.

ETA: It might be easier for you to name how many and which ones don't actually have anything to do with a pc and see what I mean.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    @Cinebar
    The career tasks are optional though, you can level just fine without doing them.

Astronaut -> Play chess, Work Out, Do Space Mission -> No computer
    Athlete -> Work Out, Mentor Fitness, Study Opponents -> No computer
    Business -> Fill out Reports, Make Business Calls, Research Stocks -> Computer at low level
    Criminal -> Perform Mischief Interactions, Perform Mean Interactions, Upgrade Objects, Hack or Make Viruses -> Computer for Oracle
    Culinary -> Prepare Food/Drink -> No computer
    Entertainer -> Write Jokes or Practice Music, Write Jokes or Perform Routines, Play Instrument -> Computer for Comedian
    Painter -> Paint -> No computer
    Secret Agent -> Browse Intelligence on a Computer, Friendly Interactions, Romantic Interactions, Mischief Interactions -> Computer at low level
    Tech Guru -> Play Video Games, Use Programming Skill -> Computer
    Writer -> Read Books, Write Books, Write Articles -> Computer

Detective -> In fact you can get a new case on the Crime Map, so no computer
    Doctor -> No computer
    Scientist -> No computer

Critic -> Practice Writing, Write Column, Review Performance or Write Column, Review Food or Drink or Write Column -> Computer
    Politician -> Successfully Promote Cause, Secure Votes, Collect Donations -> No computer
    Social Media -> Create Social Media Profile, Update Social Media Profile, Share Jokes with Followers or Troll Forums, Network with Journalists -> Computer

So overall, for the daily tasks, there're :
    - 8 careers that don't use the computer
    - 4 careers that use a computer in one branch (Oracle, Comedian) or only at low level (Business, Secret Agent)
    - 4 careers that use computers a lot : Tech Guru, Writer, Critic, Social Media
    It seems balanced to me, perhaps your Sims are using the careers that use a computer more often than the ones that don't ?
    But if you add up the aspirations such as Friend of world or the other branch of that Renaissance Sim? (work three different jobs) those require a pc. And the point is until you can switch to a different branch sorry, you have to use a pc in most cases. It's been the easel and the pc in most of the gameplay in this game. Everything revolves around the easel and or the pc if you haven't really noticed. Even creative Sims (cooking skill not the trait) want to paint a picture. It's getting redundant and has been since day one.
    @Cinebar
    Well, aspirations/whims are extremely boring for me, so I usually avoid looking at them. That probably helps :D But I can't say the easel/pc are what is the worst about them. The whims are far too short terms, and the aspirations far too repetitive. My Sims want to buy instruments or toys, and that's as boring as using the pc. The worst of all whims is probably the one about meeting with the club since all my Sims are in a club, they all have it all the time :(

Hopefully we'll have an EP/GP that rework them into something more interesting at some point.
    @Cinebar
    Well, aspirations/whims are extremely boring for me, so I usually avoid looking at them. That probably helps :D But I can't say the easel/pc are what is the worst about them. The whims are far too short terms, and the aspirations far too repetitive. My Sims want to buy instruments or toys, and that's as boring as using the pc. The worst of all whims is probably the one about meeting with the club since all my Sims are in a club, they all have it all the time :(

Hopefully we'll have an EP/GP that rework them into something more interesting at some point.

I hope so, because I agree with what you say about the aspirations and whims, too.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    @Cinebar
    The career tasks are optional though, you can level just fine without doing them.

Astronaut -> Play chess, Work Out, Do Space Mission -> No computer
    Athlete -> Work Out, Mentor Fitness, Study Opponents -> No computer
    Business -> Fill out Reports, Make Business Calls, Research Stocks -> Computer at low level
    Criminal -> Perform Mischief Interactions, Perform Mean Interactions, Upgrade Objects, Hack or Make Viruses -> Computer for Oracle
    Culinary -> Prepare Food/Drink -> No computer
    Entertainer -> Write Jokes or Practice Music, Write Jokes or Perform Routines, Play Instrument -> Computer for Comedian
    Painter -> Paint -> No computer
    Secret Agent -> Browse Intelligence on a Computer, Friendly Interactions, Romantic Interactions, Mischief Interactions -> Computer at low level
    Tech Guru -> Play Video Games, Use Programming Skill -> Computer
    Writer -> Read Books, Write Books, Write Articles -> Computer

Detective -> In fact you can get a new case on the Crime Map, so no computer
    Doctor -> No computer
    Scientist -> No computer

Critic -> Practice Writing, Write Column, Review Performance or Write Column, Review Food or Drink or Write Column -> Computer
    Politician -> Successfully Promote Cause, Secure Votes, Collect Donations -> No computer
    Social Media -> Create Social Media Profile, Update Social Media Profile, Share Jokes with Followers or Troll Forums, Network with Journalists -> Computer

So overall, for the daily tasks, there're :
    - 8 careers that don't use the computer
    - 4 careers that use a computer in one branch (Oracle, Comedian) or only at low level (Business, Secret Agent)
    It seems balanced to me, perhaps your Sims are using the careers that use a computer more often than the ones that don't ?

I do remember that in the Detective career, you couldn't use the Crime Map unless the case is aquired from the computer first. Then you can click on it and go to the crime scene, collect clues, find the suspect, put them to jail and then you can't use the Crime Map again unless you get another case from the computer. Has it changed now?
    I'm not sure you guys are correct about not having to ever touch a pc in eight careers. I tried to go over the list in my mind (without loading the game) last night. I recall naming at least six or seven careers that do require some sort of engagement with a pc. So, saying 4 to 4 isn't correct, either.
    edited July 2017
    @EgonVM
    Either it has changed or Carl's guide is wrong :D

@Cinebar
    Perhaps you're misrembering or mixing it with aspirations/whims ? You cited astronaut as a career that requires a pc for example a bit earlier, but it uses the chessboard, the telescope and fitness activities for the daily tasks, and requires logic, rocket science and fitness skills, which aren't tied to the pc either. :/
  • determigdetermig Posts: 75 Member
    I wish detective and doctors could get daily tasks that involved other sims. Such examples vould be: fine mean sims (police) or diagnose sims in their houses (doctor). These task could be more varied of course.
    edited July 2017
    @EgonVM
    Either it has changed or Carl's guide is wrong :D

@Cinebar
    Perhaps you're misrembering or mixing it with aspirations/whims ? You cited astronaut as a career that requires a pc for example a bit earlier, but it uses the chessboard, the telescope and fitness activities for the daily tasks, and requires logic, rocket science and fitness skills, which aren't tied to the pc either. :/

Tech Guru, Writer, Doctor, Detective, Comedian, Business, Social, Critic, (that's eight right there so when you said only four that was not correct) and I may load it again to double check some more. I'm thinking at some point astronaut required practice programming but may have that one wrong but most require some use of the pc more than not. It's easier to name the ones that don't. Cooking career (both branches, athelete, and artists).
    edited July 2017
    @Cinebar
    I didn't say only four, I said :
    Detective should probably be counted in the one that do if they can't use the Crime Map to get the case. And the Investor path has an interaction on the computer too. If you prefer to count the different paths, that makes it 14 that don't use a computer, and 15 that do (some more than others), so it's still balanced. Doctor doesn't need to use the computer. You forgot Oracle and Secret Agent in your list. But that still leaves lots of careers that don't use a computer : Astronaut, Athlete, Boss, Culinary, Musician, Painter, Doctor, Scientist and Politician.

Overall, it's basically the careers that are about programming (Tech Guru, Oracle), Internet (Social Media), writing (Comedian, Writer, Critic) or using the computer as an information tool (Business, Secret Agent, Detective), which makes sense I think. Frankly, it wouldn't be unrealistic if more careers were using a computer considering how widespread it has become in real life.

I'm not saying your feelings are wrong by the way. I'm just a bit curious because what your perceive apparently doesn't match the actual number (we're nowhere near the 99% you cited at the beginning ;)), so there's probably something else that explain why you have the feeling they almost all use a computer. Perhaps you tend to pair some careers with some aspirations for example ?

I know I personally use the computer to get the Focused moodlet, with the Simpedia interaction, because I typically have computers in my houses, but almost never chessboard. I also frequently use it for the various interactions about browsing the web, which seems relatable to me; and less forced than looking at the clouds for example.
    edited July 2017
    Oh, yeah number nine, Secret Agent..do you get the point yet, @Maxis? @Neia, no you are missing the point it takes time to branch off into a different career, so most of the time no matter the career other than the three I named, players have to put a pc in their Sims' homes. Point of the entire thread.
    @Cinebar
    Please explain how you end up requiring a pc if you're in the following careers : Astronaut, Athlete, Boss, Culinary, Musician, Painter, Doctor, Scientist or Politician.

I counted the career that used a pc before branching off in the "use a pc" category. There's only one anyway, it's Secret Agent.
    edited July 2017
    @Cinebar
    Please explain how you end up requiring a pc if you're in the following careers : Astronaut, Athlete, Boss, Culinary, Musician, Painter, Doctor, Scientist or Politician.

I counted the career that used a pc before branching off in the "use a pc" category. There's only one anyway, it's Secret Agent.

My original post was not only about having daily tasks that (at home) that require pc interacton but even having to touch one. Doctor requires research and update patient files etc., on the pc. I hate Athlete so I don't play it and it is one I included in the three that doesn't require a pc, I also including culinary doesn't require one. Did you miss the three I mentioned? Everyone knows painter doesn't require one, and thus why I have said it's easier to name those that don't even make you touch a pc than to try to think of those that do. At the moment the balance is uneven, there are many more jobs that require a pc than there are those that don't. @Neia, can't you come up with some ideas for new careers that wouldn't ever have to touch a pc whether they are at home or in rabbit hole rather than argue with me. Longshore fisherman is a real thing. How about Education? Do we really have to have a pc in home for a teacher? Not necessarily, people were learning before the new fangled gadgets.
    edited July 2017
    @Cinebar
    I'm trying to understand what you mean by "requiring a pc" actually. So if it's not about the daily daks, then what is it about ? What exactly makes you think your astronaut or your musician requires a pc at home ? That's what I'm trying to understand. Because if we look at the skills or the daily tasks, the balance between careers using a pc and careers not using a pc is actually even. So if you feel it's not, you're looking at something else, and I'm trying to understand what. But you keep saying it's uneven without explaining why. What makes you feel you have to get a pc at home ? Skills ? Daily tasks ? Prefered moods ? Aspirations ? Interactions you can unlock ?

I fully expect a teacher to have a pc at home actually, it's pretty much mandatory nowadays. I could totally see a fisherman having to look at the tide charts, the weather forecast or the fishing quotas on a pc too. Pretty much all jobs nowadays have you touch a pc at some point. Like I said a bit earlier, I'm even surprised there's so many that don't require a pc : all doctors have a pc, I'm fairly sure all scientists use a pc too, or astronauts.
  • herdarkpassengerherdarkpassenger Posts: 105 Member
    @determig - as a cop you go on patrol and deal with mean sims who start fights. And as a doctor you do end up getting house calls. :)
  • KasanthKasanth Posts: 166 Member
    Branch out more on the athletics career. Instead of just one, which I guess is soccer, have different team sports to
    choose from. Have one athletics career be MMA Fighter. Maybe pro wrestler.
    edited July 2017
    @Cinebar
    I'm trying to understand what you mean by "requiring a pc" actually. So if it's not about the daily daks, then what is it about ? What exactly makes you think your astronaut or your musician requires a pc at home ? That's what I'm trying to understand. Because if we look at the skills or the daily tasks, the balance between careers using a pc and careers not using a pc is actually even. So if you feel it's not, you're looking at something else, and I'm trying to understand what. But you keep saying it's uneven without explaining why. What makes you feel you have to get a pc at home ? Skills ? Daily tasks ? Prefered moods ? Aspirations ? Interactions you can unlock ?

I fully expect a teacher to have a pc at home actually, it's pretty much mandatory nowadays. I could totally see a fisherman having to look at the tide charts, the weather forecast or the fishing quotas on a pc too. Pretty much all jobs nowadays have you touch a pc at some point. Like I said a bit earlier, I'm even surprised there's so many that don't require a pc : all doctors have a pc, I'm fairly sure all scientists use a pc too, or astronauts.

Don't you have to start with a pc for musician? Before you can branch out? I haven't even seen that career in this game. Because my writer gets stuck writing. ETA: Doctors have intake nurses, they shouldn't have their face in screen and never turn around to see your condition but sit there with their head in the screen.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Cinebar

Don't you have to start with a pc for musician? Before you can branch out? I haven't even seen that career in this game. Because my writer gets stuck writing. ETA: Doctors have intake nurses, they shouldn't have their face in screen and never turn around to see your condition but sit there with their head in the screen.

You can play a musician that never touch a keyboard, just playing an instrument, reading books or interacting with other Sims. You can make the choice to browse the web for tips (to get an inspired moodlet) but that's not related to the career and it's in no way mandatory, it's not part of a daily task or a requirement at any point. You can get the same kind of inspired moodlet by playing an instrument, looking at clouds, etc.
    edited July 2017
    @Neia, I'm just going to assume you don't need any new careers that don't concern the Sim using a pc..at least that's how it sounds with all this defending of the game, But I Do. Thanks, but with all this defending it's not helping my cause to get more careers without use of a pc into the game.....which some of us would like to have.