Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

1697071727375...Next

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Yup. Officially dumping photobucket.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    I just found out Addy's legacy story is intact and man, is she a good story teller :)
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Kgaff wrote: »
    Ooohhh My Gosh, Addy, did this ruin your legacy story?

I've seen on other threads that all the simmers who used photobucket for their personal blogs have had them all replaced by that nasty notice. I can't begin to think of how many people were affected by this crazy move. Blogs all over the internet, esty sellers, ebay sellers all have been affected.

As soon as I saw this, I zipped off to check things over.
    ** panic panic **
    ** trying not to panic **

Whew! The blog itself is still intact. However, I think I might start directly uploading images into Wordpress from my computer and not go through Photobucket because I have no idea what happen from this point forward.
    Kgaff wrote: »
    I just found out Addy's legacy story is intact and man, is she a good story teller :)

** blush **
    Why, thank YOU, @Kgaff !!! My storytelling skills aren't as advanced as others ~ there are some AWE-mazing SimLit authors out there! ~ but I do have fun with my Snyder Randomacy. :)

So ... my creative showcase and other threads are now missing PB images. This saddens me because I'm not sure I can find some of them again without resorting to putting those builds back into my game and snapping new screenshots ... but that doesn't resolve the issue of how to get them for there to here. Will have to ponder like Pooh and figure out what to do.

My legacy forum thread is now missing images in most of my earlier posts. I am totally unsure if I can even re-create/locate bring those images back into my posts. Hmm.

Was planning to open the gift exchange when I return from vacation (early August) but prior threads are now missing quite a bit of the photo content so I'm not sure how to go about sharing screenshots for future gift exchanges. Any suggestions?

I see that @MiaSkywalker used tinypic and her images are still intact. My gift to you was via imgur and those are also intact. So perhaps those two services are still usable for forum purposes. Maybe.

Sorry for hijacking this thread with non RR chatter, Mia.
    edited June 2017
    @ADWilson The images are still on photobucket! You don't have to try to retake the pictures, they just need to be moved to a different hosting site and then the links updated, but the pictures are not gone from photobucket, so there is that relief.

I just fixed my BuildnShare entry by saving the pictures back off photobucket and uploading them to my wordpress instead, which allows you to link to the file without needing it posted on the blog which is nice.

also... link to your blog, if you're willing to share?
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @ADWilson The images are still on photobucket! You don't have to try to retake the pictures, they just need to be moved to a different hosting site and then the links updated, but the pictures are not gone from photobucket, so there is that relief.

I just fixed my BuildnShare entry by saving the pictures back off photobucket and uploading them to my wordpress instead, which allows you to link to the file without needing it posted on the blog which is nice.

also... link to your blog, if you're willing to share?

Good news indeed, thanks @creativemetaphor :)
    Not sure about my earliest creations, but it's good to know that I might not need to re-invent that particular wheel with more recent items if I choose to go back and re-do them. Prior contest entries ~ gift exchanges ~ most of the gifts made during this RR ... and the list goes on and on. Good tip regarding WP and pictures. Will take a look at that.

How sweet of you to ask about the link ... if you look at my "footer", the link is below the image of my simself reading a book.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    The only draw back to word press is that you might eventually run out of room and have to create a new account or downsize older stuff.
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    ADWilson wrote: »
    Was planning to open the gift exchange when I return from vacation (early August) but prior threads are now missing quite a bit of the photo content so I'm not sure how to go about sharing screenshots for future gift exchanges. Any suggestions?

I see that @MiaSkywalker used tinypic and her images are still intact. My gift to you was via imgur and those are also intact. So perhaps those two services are still usable for forum purposes. Maybe.

Sorry for hijacking this thread with non RR chatter, Mia.
    No problem; the event is over, and this is actually pretty relevant.

Tinypic is, unfortunately, owned by Photobucket now, so we can't guaranteed that images held there won't eventually start popping up with that image. My guess is that it's a move by PB to try to force people to subscribe to one of their plans, to make it so pictures that are already in use can remain in use, and not have to be redone. For precisely the issues that Addy is worried about with her legacy pictures.

It's a rotten attitude, and a rotten move. Unfortunately, that sort of attitude and behavior is common in business practices.

I've started using Weebly (a free website provider), but the problem there is that there IS an upper limit (unless I get one of their paid plans - I probably WILL do that eventually, but haven't done so yet), plus I can't post an image there and directly link it into a post in the forums. I absolutely REFUSE to pay a site like Photobucket; they already make money off of ads, and why hijack images you've been using successfully, in this obviously commercial bid? It's blackmail, and it's offensive.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Hey guys, I am able to upload pictures again through Photobucket. I don't know what's going on...
    Screenshot-65_zpsiucwq1zj.jpg
    @Kgaff yes but you get that result...
    @KaytayRoall - My family now has two children in your little house. I had to add on an extension. You can see the way it looks in my game here:
    https://iamciane.wordpress.com/stories/the-middle-of-nowhere/bday/

or
    screenshot-19.jpg?w=680
  • KaytayRoallKaytayRoall Posts: 923 Member
    @ciane I cannot thank you enough for your patience with me. I'm so glad you jumped right in and used the move-in ready version of the house. It's fun to see how you've decorated and expanded on it! Thank you for sharing your lovely story with me.

At long last I'm home and finished up the furnished version. Unfortunately, I won't be able to post pictures due to photobucket nonsense. It looks mostly like the last set of images I posted, though.

Here is the link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9109513

Thank you so much for letting me build for you. I love the architecture style you introduced me to. I have a couple more builds I want to do in that style, actually, so I hope you'll keep an eye on my studio in case any of them appeal to you. Also thank you @MiaSkywalker for hosting this wonderful exchange and for letting me step in to substitute. And finally thank you all for the wonderful building camaraderie, the back and forth with suggestions and getting to watch all of the builds come together was very fun.
    It looks great @KaytayRoall! I love the way you furnished it.