Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Share Your Culling Story

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    ObscurusObscurus Posts: 626 Member
    edited January 2016
    The Culling

It was a golden sunny summer afternoon. Little Timmy was playing with Uni the toy unicorn in the nicest corner of his room, when his father entered, looking somewhat serious, even grim.
    "Timmy, it's time we have a talk," he said. "Come and sit here."
    Timmy sat beside his father on his bed.
    "What is it daddy?"
    His father sighed, then said: "Timmy, do you remember when I told you grandfather left to catch angelfishes from the heavenly pond?"
    "Yeah," Timmy answered. "Is he coming back?"
    "No Timmy, he's not. But he's not fishing either. You're old enough to know. He was... culled."
    Timmy blinked.
    "What does it mean daddy?"
    His father seemed to look for the right words for a while.
    "It means... you recall when you wanted a toy unicorn for Christmas and to fit it into this room, I hit your desk with a sledgehammer?"
    Timmy gasped.
    "You hit granddad with a hammer?"
    "Of course not," father said, laughing earnestly. "There would be no refunds for the old geezer anyway... What I meant was... the desk simply disappeared. Just like that. Poof, gone with the wind. Well, culling works like that, except we don't get to hold the hammer. We have no say over who disappears and when."
    Timmy didn't quite understand.
    "Who does then, daddy?"
    His father seemed uncomfortable.
    "It's... well, I can't really tell. I don't know for sure. Some say the Boss and his cronies - the bad guys - are behind it, but I don't think even they could plan something as sinister as this. Personally I think it's the Creators and their wicked sense of humor."
    Timmy thought for a moment. He had always been told that the Creators were just and kind, and whenever a Sim was in need, they provided.
    "So... when you said granny moved to live in 'Earlier Iteration' and my sister went to study..."
    "Yes, they were also culled," his father answered.
    "Was Uncle Earnie culled, too?"
    "No, that weasel married a townswoman so hideously ugly that the remaining family severed ties with him completely, not that there's many of us left," father spitted bitterly. "I've tried to wipe him off the family tree, but for some reason I can't."
    "So I'm never gonna see my sister or granddad or granny again?" Timmy asked. He was finally getting it, and it made his heart sink.
    "I'm afraid not, Timmy," his father said. "I wish I could promise otherwise. I wish I shouldn't have to tell you this. But you really needed to know the truth. You're a big boy now."
    "Yeah," Timmy said in a small voice, not feeling big at all.
    "Well, I have some business calls to make. You're okay there, son?" His father rose and walked towards the door.
    "Yeah, I'm okay I guess," Timmy said, then added on a whim: "Could mommy make us pancakes? That would make me feel better."
    There was a curious, ominous pause, as if something in the universe was changing, and not for the better.
    Timmy's father turned to look at him, with a confused, foggy expression.
    "Mommy? I don't remember you ever having a mother..."

:p

Based on a true story. Names have been altered to protect the respective Sims, except Uncle Earnie, who deserves all the loathing he can get.

Edit: Fixed some typos and repetition.
    Post edited by Obscurus on
  • Options
    jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member
    Obscurus wrote: »
    The culling
    [snipped]

*quickly signs in to give clever and talented Author an 'awesome' and then signs back out - wishing there were more buttons such as 'Amazing', 'Incredible', 'LOL', & 'Entertaining as Heck' *
  • Options
    Konan_NorrisKonan_Norris Posts: 211 Member
    I personally makeover townies who look ridiculous. I save them with hashtag "townie." Culling won't stop me muahahahaha
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

giphy.gif

• Options
    colbyfromagecolbyfromage Posts: 268 Member
    Will someone please make a movie poster for "The Culling"? Please???
  • Options
    PuffyPuffy Posts: 393 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    I love culling :D . I actually made a mod that changes the culling limit from 210 to 0. This helps me to get rid of any randomly generated townies without having to delete them by myself. I have over 200 Sims living in a house so that's enough Sims to interact with :p

Eleunicy: thats great ! do you have game running slow problem ? i not not that good at tech things. How can you put 200 sims in house ? would you pls share mod link ?

Thank you so much !
  • Options
    PuffyPuffy Posts: 393 Member
    Did sims 2 have 43000 population limit ? wow thats awesome. Why the same game build a decade later have 210 limit ? i think it should be 10 ten tims move forward 430000 instead. We should be able to build a huge city to live in sims 4. What are the creators doing, its lost the game orginal meaning.
  • Options
    OceaneyespiritOceaneyespirit Posts: 57 Member
    Sims forgetting each other and having to start all over? Hmm, seems like I've seen a movie like that before ;) "50 First Dates"
  • Options
    John65A9John65A9 Posts: 59 Member
    The Spencer-Kim-Lewis household was once culled. Was so irritated. And Olivia, my sims bestie from work had just got married to our chief. Work was never the same.
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    I just noticed one of 3 original vampires disappeared, the girl. I can't remember her name, but it was L something. She is gone :(
  • Options
    IgneousGeldingIgneousGelding Posts: 393 Member
    I just noticed one of 3 original vampires disappeared, the girl. I can't remember her name, but it was L something. She is gone :(

@Feisbukaite Was it Lilith Vatore? Yeah, my Sim's married to her brother, Caleb Vatore. I use MCCommand Center and the related modules to stop culling. Fortunately, I've never experienced any tragedy myself. I'd be heartbroken if my Sims relatives/friends were wiped clean.

Origin ID: graple2001
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member

@Feisbukaite Was it Lilith Vatore? Yeah, my Sim's married to her brother, Caleb Vatore. I use MCCommand Center and the related modules to stop culling. Fortunately, I've never experienced any tragedy myself. I'd be heartbroken if my Sims relatives/friends were wiped clean.

Yes, her. Thank you for the name, I'll try to find her on the gallery and place her back to my game. She was adorable. One of my sims had a fight with her when she broke in his house. He totally lost the fight, but she left without getting to the children's bedroom.
    I use MCCC too. Caleb Vatore got married to Sophia Bjergenson ( I hope I spelled her name right) and they are having their first baby.
  • Options
    IgneousGeldingIgneousGelding Posts: 393 Member
    @Feisbukaite No problem. o:) Lilith has been one of the only Sims in my game to not be affected by MCCC's story progression modules. I want her to have kids so the Vatores have their own little legacy in my world. :#
    Origin ID: graple2001
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif
  • Options
    MarmarSimsMarmarSims Posts: 183 Member
    I'm a legacy player, so the second generation of the main family I was playing was already a YA and married Morgan Fyres and had two kids. I left them for awhile to play a new family, when I came back; Justin didn't know Morgan but his relationship with his daughters remained. I fixed it, and played another household. It happened again. It was really annoying so I have to play the household until Justin died of old age.
    30uejra.jpg
    Origin: maritakoyaki
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    I cull the townies weekly if i don't then my game starts to stutter and freeze up . Every single townie unplayed family almost gets deleted and my game will then run much better for a week until it starts to stutter and freeze and i have to do it again , This normally means me culling approx between 50 and 70 families
  • Options
    Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    I use a no culling mod to protect my family trees, but delete townies every time I am not in a household and they have been generated. I have a very intricate main save and all families in the world have a home. I have never had it happen, but when I found out that this was an issue, I immediately downloaded the no culling mod for fear it would happen to me. I have worked very hard on my trees.
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    This is a very old thread so I guess I'm at risk of doing something bad by adding to it (Necroposting, is that it?) but is this how Gaston had a baby girl with Lilith, and he hadn't been by in a long time because of stress between him and Caleb, and him and Lilith, and getting incarcerated, that sort of thing, but one day I opened the save, and he was wiped away as that baby's father. That baby now had NO father, just sprang from Lilith like a bud from a yeast cell.. Was that...culling?
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    Sims 3 also had culling. They should add the option to stop the game from regenerating homeless Sims and stop culling the ones that are already in-game.
  • Options
    ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    edited February 2020
    I like playing generational style the best, and so culling has made me hesitant to really get into Sims 4 because I want my family tree recorded, and never culled. When I had my legacy family and the tree started getting culled, that game and style of playing was 100% ruined for me, no lie.

They need to disassociate the family tree from being directly reliant upon sims existing in the world (as people or as ghosts) in order to show up on the tree. Ancestry (family trees) should simply be a hard record and not change for as long as that save exists, regardless of culling.

Yes, i agree. Like, they should make a copy of the family tree for every single sim instead of one to every family member at the same time. This way we would be able to share/save sims to the gallery without needing to have the while family saved too.
  • Options
    UnknownGamerUnknownGamer Posts: 77 Member
    Culling still unfortunately messes with family trees. My Sim had brothers who lived outside the household and when they died they eventually just vanished from the family tree as if they never existed.

I can’t see why the game just can’t keep the image and name of the Sim in the family tree, it’s not like that would bloat the save that much...

Also culling still messes with unlocks. My founder Sim’s ghost eventually got culled, he was a scientist. When he did all the unlocks like Chemistry station and the “out of this world” desktop was locked and I couldn’t buy them again.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    This is a very old thread so I guess I'm at risk of doing something bad by adding to it (Necroposting, is that it?) but is this how Gaston had a baby girl with Lilith, and he hadn't been by in a long time because of stress between him and Caleb, and him and Lilith, and getting incarcerated, that sort of thing, but one day I opened the save, and he was wiped away as that baby's father. That baby now had NO father, just sprang from Lilith like a bud from a yeast cell.. Was that...culling?

@Nushnushganay Relationship culling usually happens when you sims has more than a certain number of relationships, somewhere in the 30s. I can't recall the exact number but say if it was 35, when your sim meets a 36th person, overnight they'll forget one person in their relationship panel. It is very rare for any relationship with any pink in the romance bar to be culled. My sim continually forgot her own grandchildren rather than lose the phone number of a guy she kissed at the romance festival once, even for weeks after the pink faded. I eventually deleted him since he was an unplayed townie and there was no way for me to delete just the relationship.

Anyway, so if you have a mod that allows for casual woohoo, and Gaston and Lilith had no pink bar, and one or both of them had a lot of friends, it's possible that they could have forgotten each other. I'm surprised it would remove the relationship from the baby though. That might be an error caused by a mod.
  • Options
    EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top