Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Sims & Modeling Chat Thread

Comments

• Options
    Skyler1802Skyler1802 Posts: 82 Member
    edited July 2017
    For modelling competitions (I don't really see where else on the forums might have these) are we allowed to post "naughty" pictures. Lol I couldn't think of a word. I want to use a pose for an entry that I think is perfect except the sims' arm is over her naked chest area. You can't really see anything. Do you think this is okay?
    Post edited by Skyler1802 on
    Hey, check out my new simblr! : http://keepinitsimsple.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    JoeJoe11JoeJoe11 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited July 2017
    Skyler1802 wrote: »
    For modelling competitions (I don't really see where else on the forums mind have these) are we allowed to post "naughty" pictures. Lol I couldn't think of a word. I want to use a pose for an entry that I think is perfect except the sims' arm is over her naked chest area. You can't really see anything. Do you think this is okay?

I think the rule is you usually PM a link to your image to the competition host, though it is competition dependent. Especially for what you mention as it's quite modest/artful - but you can never be sure what mods will flag up etc.

From what you say yours is, I'd think it would be fine?
    c0Ixg8O.png
  • Options
    Skyler1802Skyler1802 Posts: 82 Member
    JoeJoe11 wrote: »
    Skyler1802 wrote: »
    For modelling competitions (I don't really see where else on the forums mind have these) are we allowed to post "naughty" pictures. Lol I couldn't think of a word. I want to use a pose for an entry that I think is perfect except the sims' arm is over her naked chest area. You can't really see anything. Do you think this is okay?

I think the rule is you usually PM a link to your image to the competition host, though it is competition dependent. Especially for what you mention as it's quite modest/artful - but you can never be sure what mods will flag up etc.

From what you say yours is, I'd think it would be fine?

Oh okay that is a good idea, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely ask the host first.
    Hey, check out my new simblr! : http://keepinitsimsple.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    KelebekKelebek Posts: 2,079 Member
    ArtsyAmy wrote: »
    Kelebek wrote: »
    @JoeJoe11 What's FRAPS,and how do I use it?

It's a screenshot taker for games that you can use instead of EA's "C" option. It saves all your screenshots in a folder just like the Screenshots folder in the game.
    *There is a $37/US charge to upgrade to allow you to save as any image file. (The absolutely free version allows you to save as bmp.) - I tried the free version just to see how it works & just converted the bmp to a png file when I opened my screenshot.

It's really nice to have as either a replacement to using the game's way, or just in case you have run into problems like I did.
    NOTE: To take a screenshot using FRAPS you just hit F10 instead of C & all your pics then save in your FRAPS folder rather than Sims4/Screenshots folder.

Thank you!
  • Options
    JoeJoe11JoeJoe11 Posts: 1,406 Member

It's a screenshot taker for games that you can use instead of EA's "C" option. It saves all your screenshots in a folder just like the Screenshots folder in the game.
    *There is a $37/US charge to upgrade to allow you to save as any image file. (The absolutely free version allows you to save as bmp.) - I tried the free version just to see how it works & just converted the bmp to a png file when I opened my screenshot.

It's really nice to have as either a replacement to using the game's way, or just in case you have run into problems like I did.
    NOTE: To take a screenshot using FRAPS you just hit F10 instead of C & all your pics then save in your FRAPS folder rather than Sims4/Screenshots folder.

Thank you!

Sorry I never replied to you on this! Completely missed it. Think Amy kindly covered everything. Let me know if any other Qs?
    c0Ixg8O.png
  • Options
    KelebekKelebek Posts: 2,079 Member
    JoeJoe11 wrote: »

Thank you!

Sorry I never replied to you on this! Completely missed it. Think Amy kindly covered everything. Let me know if any other Qs?

No problem!I tried it out myself,and it works fine :D
  • Options
    GegeGege Posts: 2,548 Member
    So I moved recently and luckily its a pet friendly apartment. My bf and I were talking about what animal best suites our lifestyle. We decided on cats. We want to get two, preferably siblings. He and I had dogs growing up but not cats. They will be inside only. Also, we want them to be shelter rescues. Ours is a kill shelter. Any tips from folks that have cats or have had them? I think I know the basics. Tips on how to catproof an apartment would be nice?
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    well if they are inside cats i would go with one. cats trays to clean are a pain. make sure when you buying from a shelter that it doesnt smell heavily of pee and their trays are being used, because you dont want your place to smell like that stuff... it just STINKS badly. and it doesnt go away if they pee on furtniture! i had my male cat spray on my material recliner and had to throw the dam thing out!

cute and cuddly for sure, but both my cats are inside outside cats. i couldnt have them in ALL the time because cat litter trays are the worst. I trained mine to go outside. If you don't have a backyard i wouldnt recommend it
  • Options
    Jendowoz0612Jendowoz0612 Posts: 8,212 Member
    edited July 2017
    I have had 2 cats or more all my 61 years, and wouldn't be without them! :) except for now, as hubby and I are doing some travelling. I love their independent spirit. I recently lost both of mine within 3 months of each other, but they were the same age and around 17 years old, so they had a good long life as all my cats have.

Make sure you get a tall scratcy pole or something similar, @Gege and train them to use that instead of your furniture. Keep a spray bottle of water on hand as that is a good way to train them without hurting them, they learn quickly and you don't need to spray them much for them to learn. If they start to scratch, spray then put them on the scratch pole and show them by putting their paws up so they learn to use that instead and pat them, reward them or give them a snack when they use it off their own back. Make sure the scratchie is higher than them as they like to stretch up to scratch.

When you feed them, make sure it's a high quality food that vets recommend as most cats suffer from kidney disease as they get older and that is usually as a result of poor food with high salt content, amongst other things. Have toys on hand. Having two from the same family is good as they keep each other company. Cats are extremely smart and they will return your affection. I don't care what anyone thinks, they do return the affection and are very rehabilitating if you are upset or down. Statistics say, just having them on your lap and patting them can do wonders for blood pressure, depression and a number of other issues.

Also keep them inside at night, as that is when other cats are out and about and when fights occur resulting in large vet bills from bites that turn into abcesses. I let mine go in and out as they please but always had them in at night and didn't have too many problems.

• Options
    ArtsyAmyArtsyAmy Posts: 1,312 Member
    edited July 2017
    Gege wrote: »
    So I moved recently and luckily its a pet friendly apartment. My bf and I were talking about what animal best suites our lifestyle. We decided on cats. We want to get two, preferably siblings. He and I had dogs growing up but not cats. They will be inside only. Also, we want them to be shelter rescues. Ours is a kill shelter. Any tips from folks that have cats or have had them? I think I know the basics. Tips on how to catproof an apartment would be nice?

I agree with @xJojox the worst is cleaning the litter box, but if you do this daily it's not too bad. Definitely spring for the better cat litter. The cheap stuff will stink very quickly. Also, the "non-clumping" is better as well. I would suggest getting female cats to start with. They don't spray along your baseboards and definitely get them declawed. Most shelters already do this, but if they're going to be indoors you'll want no claws. Otherwise your furniture will get scratched up when they go on their stretching sprees. An indoor bouncy toy or little tower are also nice to have because it keeps them active and lets them stretch their paws on something. (They still love to stretch their paws even if declawed.)

If you're getting actual kittens the shelters always make sure they have their shots and are litter box ready. It's also good to find out what food they prefer, the can/wet or dry/mix. Try to stay with the brand the cats are used to and make diet changes over a period of time. (Like one day the old brand then the new one you want them on the next day, and alternate.)

You'll really enjoy your cats if you've never had one before. They are different than dogs because they do take care of themselves as long as you feed them, have fresh water, and keep their litter box cleaned. My cat never had an accident other than the one time my daughter forgot to clean her litter box. *Cats USUALLY like to keep themselves clean, so if their litter box isn't fresh they will wander on you.

Good luck with your kitties! o:) My cat always made me laugh so much & feel better. She helped me when I was sick and recovering many times after hospitalizations. <3

LCTYbER.gif
    Judging In: Versace's Finest | Simplistic Magazine Competition-CYCLE 2

"Anyone can criticize; Can YOU inspire?"-unknown
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I didn't de-claw mine, I think that is quite cruel, (just my opinion, Amy) but learnt how to trim them and if they have a scratch pole their claws stay a reasonable length and they stay away from your furniture. But just to be sure have some sort of citrus spray that doesn't harm furniture and spray that on your furniture that works on keeping them away from your furniture. About their food, as long as it is a good quality food that prevents kidney disease. I found, they like variety just like we do.

• Options
    Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    Just to touch on something Amy said (I used to work for a pet store), when you adopt the cat, make sure to ask the shelter what brand of food their already on and go ahead and buy a small bag of it and a bag of the food you'd want to feed them (I recommend Canidae for a dry food) and what you want to do to switch foods is on day one, give 100% their old food. On day 2, give them 90% old food, 10% new food. You continue doing this until they're up to 100% new food. This is to ensure their stomachs can get used to the new food. If you notice they get a little sick, take a longer period of time on the percentages before that. It's like if you were vegetarian for 5 years and suddenly went and ate a burger - bad choice for your stomach! Hahaha! That has always been our surefire way for transitioning foods, both with my cats and dogs back home.

We have two cats currently and honestly, as long as you get the litterbox under control, it's really a great time and experience. We don't have our cats declawed (I just couldn't bare to do it, one was abused and the other can't go to the vet without being sedated so I can't imagine his reaction to being declawed.... *shudders*) and they certainly have a fun time with the banister in our house and one area of the couch, but if they have plenty of scratching toys (or even just wrap some thick, rough rope around a chair leg they like to scratch) it will take their desires and keep the apartment relatively in check.
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Options
    ArtsyAmyArtsyAmy Posts: 1,312 Member
    I didn't de-claw mine, I think that is quite cruel, (just my opinion, Amy) but learnt how to trim them and if they have a scratch pole their claws stay a reasonable length. About their food, as long as it is a good quality food that prevents kidney disease. I found, they like variety just like we do.

No problem Jen, yes my cat wasn't originally & we did trimmings + regular grooming of course, but my kids were younger and I had to be hospitalized so many times that it worked best for my household. They couldn't keep up with the trimming and my poor husband was always by my side in the hospital. If someone is physically able to keep up and doesn't want to do the declawing operation I can certainly understand.
    LCTYbER.gif
    Judging In: Versace's Finest | Simplistic Magazine Competition-CYCLE 2

"Anyone can criticize; Can YOU inspire?"-unknown
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I agree with @evergreen, give them variety but as evergreen said, introduce them to new food gradually.

Yes I guess it depends on the situation like you say, @ArtsyAmy495 but only if there is no other choice and as a last resort.

It's like what some people do to their dogs to stop them from barking, I feel it is an unecessary cruelty to suit the owners.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for the info guys soooo much. Kitty, Jojo, and wbombje know how I've been lamenting about my apartment (old apartment) no pet policy. I have wanted a pet since FOREVER. They do cheer you up and make you smile and help you feel less lonely when you can't be with loved ones (people) haha. All the advise has given me a lot of food for thought.

@xJojox Thanks jojo, might end up with one cat but we are open to two.They'll primarily be my cats because although my bf likes cats he really is a dog person, just the lifestyle is better for cats now.

@Jendowoz0612 I'm sorry to hear about your cats, I am glad you had them for a long time. I hope to have my companions for a long time as well. I'm already starting a cat fund savings for medical/check-ups, grooming if necessary. I'm fully prepared to take on the responsibility. I don't have any children, so these will be my babies for now. Jen, thanks for telling me about the scratch posts and citrus spray. I had no idea citrus kept them off of stuff. I know they need to stretch/kneed their claws so I want to have plenty of non-furniture places they can do it. I'm going to have my bf, who is an engineer, build a cat tree or high up shelf so they can perch and lounge, because I learned through watching tons of animal shows that they like to be higher up than people. I would let my cats out too but I don't live in the country and this is a high traffic area even though there are a lot of trees, the highway and shopping center is a hop and a skip away. Our apartment isn't small though so I think they will have privacy and room to explore.

Thank you @Evergreen226 for the tips on transitioning food. I saw that you gave a rec on a brand. Any more recommendations for cat food brands or perhaps the absolute worst ones to stay away from? I don't plan to skimp on the food because I don't want a sick cat. Also thank you @ArtsyAmy495 I will stay on top of litter box clean-up. I do remember they won't use it if its excessively full. One of my good friends had a cat when I was growing up, actually I think she had 3 and they used the cheap litter and boy was it odorous.

A few questions: Do you guys keep more than one litterbox, especially if you have two cats? What's a good location to place it in. I'm already thinking on it. Our bathrooms are kind of smallish on space where the rest of the rooms-3 bedrooms, dining, livingroom, and kitchen are pretty spacious. Obviously I don't want the litter in the kitchen/dining. Gah, that leaves very little options.

Can you guys tell I'm excited? haha :open_mouth: a

So from what I gathered so far.

-Make sure trays are being used at the shelter and it isn't filthy e.g. cats areappropriately using their litters
    -Good food muy importante!
    -Keep the litter box clean -buy the brand guaranteed for odor control
    -Change food only gradually and find out what they are eating at the shelter
    -Scratch posts are essential (citrus spray deters scratching furniture as well as a water bottle-followed by scratch post demonstration)
    -Girl cats don't spray to mark their territory-good to know boys do this, was going to get two boys. Do all cats do this? Does getting them neutered stop this?

mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    @Gege people have their own ways of doing things and I'm not one to judge....
    But please please DO NOT get your cat declawed, it is just the same as cutting off their toes. They need their claws and it will hurt them to walk if they dont, they can get very bad joints from getting declawed, it should be banned everywhere. It's upsetting how many vets tell people it's ok just to get money...all You need to do is look up about it and you will see how horrible it is for your cat. It had beeb banned at a lot of vets.
    Also dont use a water bottle, it will just frighten them and make them timid in my opinion. I also thinks that's cruel, one thing cats hate the most is water on them? So why do it. Honestly if you don't want your furtinture to get scratched you shouldnt get a cat because it's likely to happen.
    All you need is to give a cat love, affection and food.
    Getting them neutered will help their behaviour a lot too.
  • Options
    @kittymeow Thank you for the advise. I don't intend to have the cats declawed. I know cats will probably scratch some furniture, but I don't want my couch to become his own personal scratching post. I personally think a light spray of water is not harmful, so I'd use it but only as a last resort. Neutering is the responsible thing to do so no issues there. Also, I heard some shelters require it before you can take your pet home. :)
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    On the Jackson Galaxy website reading advise. He's the star of My Cat from Hell.
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    VanadisVanadis Posts: 2,305 Member
    edited July 2017
    I have two cats. A Siamese and a Maine Coo.n. Before I got this Maine Coo.n, I had a Maine Coo.n / Persian mix but unfortunately I lost him to cardiomyopathy.

It's good to know that larger breed cats are more susceptible, usually, to cardiomyopathy; fortunately my current Maine Coo.n doesn't have it. It makes it easier for them to have blood clots and strokes, which is how I lost my MC/P baby at eleven years old.

Siamese and Siamese mixes are more prone to respiratory infections, and my Meezer almost died from sudden onset pneumonia and pulmonary edema once. I rushed her to the vet as soon as I realized something was off though and they saved her. She has a cat inhaler now. Those are fun. (Not.)

My MC/P baby was declawed before I got him but he never showed any interest in going outside. My Meezer likes to shoot out the door at any chance she has. My full bred MC doesn't really go out the front door but he likes to chill with us on the back balcony. So I'd suggest not declawing your cats, just in case they take a liking to shooting out the front door. If they do that and are declawed, they can't fight back if something like a dog, a coyote, or another, bigger cat, attacks them. So they'll surely sustain injuries that way. Plus declawing does remove parts of their toes and it's painful and even unsanitary for them to use the catbox following that surgery.

Most cat experts for number of boxes recommend one per cat, plus one. So for two cats you would theoretically use three. I have two cats though and only use one, but I scoop it twice a day. If you scoop each box regularly, cleaning the trays is just a matter of switching out litter twice a month ish. I scoop twice a day, once when I wake up and once before bed, and I do a full litter changeout every two weeks, more if the cat's sick (you can imagine...)

It's best if they're kittens to get them used to baths. Don't run the tub with them in it because the splashing running water will scare them. Run the tub before you put them in if you need to bathe them, and don't make it too hot or cold. This is because fleas and ticks can come in on a person and breed on the cats. I just had a flea nightmare because it's summer now so the fleas come in on us and get on the cats. Flea collars for cats are more expensive generally than for dogs so expect to spend up to or even over $20 per collar for a cat. But it's so worth it. Also while flea shampoo is amazing to have, the BLUE Dawn dish soap will work in a pinch. Only the blue though.

I would highly suggest keeping cats indoor-only because of the chance they could be attacked. But if you do choose to let them out sometimes, keep their claws! I keep multiple scratch posts and flat scratch pads for mine to do their nails on. I wouldn't spray them if they scratch the furniture but rather tap their nose, firmly say "No," and take them to a scratch post and show them how to scratch it. They will learn!

Good luck!
    She says that love is for fools that fall behind
    I'm somewhere between
    I never really know a killer from a savior
  • Options
    MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    edited July 2017
    @Gege Kitties! I love my kitties, and I hope you enjoy yours too!
    From what I've experienced, boys can still spray even after being neutered. It should lower the urge for them since they are fixed, but it might still happen. Of course, if they know the other cat they might avoid it all together. I've had girls all my life and only just recently got two boys, so my experience with them is low, but both of mine are fixed and they still sprayed (they stopped now, it was only after we got the newest one and were introducing him still). Most of my knowledge on boys comes from my bf who has had a lot of cats over the years.

Have to agree with avoiding the declawing, and it should only be used in the most serious situations, and even then it is probably not a good idea. A far better and healthier alternative is the nail caps (brands Purrdy Paws or Soft Claws), you stick them on and they fall off in about a month when they normally shed their nails. Anddd your cats can look glamorous! LOL! They have a clear version if you don't want to make them fabulous though. ;) (It might be difficult to get them on one of the sassy cats who have the "don't touch me human!" personality. But for really chill cats, they usually won't care. We haven't used them on our cats yet, but we researched them since we were interested and will most likely get some soon.)

Spraying with water should not make them timid or frightened, unless you abuse/overuse the spray bottle or the cat has some issues in general. They generally learn pretty fast and after a while the bottle is not necessary. Aluminum foil will also deter them, they don't like walking on it. Just learned that from Google a couple months back! Cat forums and other articles have other interesting tidbits like that. ^_^

Oh, and keep food and water away from their litter box, otherwise they will not use the food or water. (Though some cats might, I have a few instances where that happened. Generally they won't though.) Speaking of which, we have two litter boxes for three cats, cleaned every day. Two of our cats go outside though to potty, so the cleanup is very minimal. We keep one of the boxes in one of our bathrooms, and the other in one of the bedrooms. Lately though we've taken to moving the bedroom box to the living room, in a corner, to keep one of the cats happy. Two litter boxes are recommended for two, especially if they are indoor only. We had 3 boxes for three cats before two passed away and we got the two cats who go outside.
    For the location, it really just depends on if you'd be embarrassed about it when having friends/family over like some people, and what is more convenient. If you don't want the litter in your bedroom (because it will go flying out the door, recommend a litter box mat to place outside them for easier cleanup), and don't mind it being in the living room, I'd recommend at least one go there. And the other box could be on the other side of the living room, or in the bedroom.

And my experience with the scratch posts....We've bought several of the tall ones over the years, especially whenever we get a new cat, and have never been successful in getting them to use it. Some have once or twice, but go back to the furniture. I'm not sure what the deal was with that, however, recently we did get them one of those cardboard scratching posts that lay flat on the ground and they've used it ever since. The ones we get also come with catnip, which attracts them to the box when you sprinkle a bit on, which seems to encourage our cats to use the box more. Just in case you can't train them with the polls, there's another version you might be able to use. xD It also seems to function as a bed, because our cats sleep on it. Lol!

Hope that helps! If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
    Post edited by MizoreYukii on
  • Options
    @Vanadis Thanks for the valuable information. I had intended to get a dog so I had been doing dog research for weeks now, but I need to shift gears and do some more cat research to involve temperaments and the like, even though I'm pretty sure a shelter cat will likely be a mix. Sorry to hear about your cat that passed.

I will start with one or maybe two litter boxes but three is a bit much, and I'm already hard up for good placement. Plus keeping them all cleaned with new litter sounds like a nightmare. I imagine a cat will probably have a preference anyhow. Oh, definitely I'm not a fan of having outdoor animals. Like today was scorching and I'd be worried about my cat overheating or not having water, even if I wasn't in a high traffic area. Thanks again.
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    If you spray catnip on the scratch posts they tend to go to it more and if your consistent with training them to use it they will soon learn especially if you are getting a large one they can sleep and lounge in too made, that is a great idea.

I kept two litter boxes one inside and one outside otherwise you may get strays wandering in and trying to mark their territory. We had that problem out our front until I used orange and lemon peel (citrus again) as mulch under the shrubs and sprayed citrus spray around on a regular basis.

Can't wait to see them, @Gege don't forget to post a couple of shots for us. <3

• Options
    @MizoreYukii Thank you for the info. I'm thinking the living room should be fine for a litter box and maybe a spare bedroom. I'll definitely be getting a mat to help keep it tidy. I'll probably try both versions of scratch posts, and I may still get a male cat if they spray less when the other cat is not a stranger. That's why I want siblings, already familiar and relaxed with each other.
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    @Jendowoz0612 Oh, I'm definitely posting pics! The catnip is a great idea thank you and Mizore both!
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    you can also buy cat-friendly plants to grow in a planter box, @Gege which includes catnip and a grass which is medicinally beneficial to them. They revel in it and love it. :)