Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLits - A Short Story Challenge with new themes every month and voting for winners

Comments

• mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    Congrats to all the winners and contributors last month! I enjoyed reading them, as always!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    Congrats everyone! I'll be pm'ing out banners shortly.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Congratulations @Babygirl80Plyr! :)

2nd Place? o.O Heck Yeah! I'm shocked considering this is my first short story. <3 \o/ Wow, thank you everyone, I'm so glad you liked my story/prologue. I should stop procrastinating and publish chapter one now eh? lol Not sure if I'll enter for this month yet, haven't had any ideas sparkin' around in the 'ol noggin. Lots of time left though. ;)

Have a great week everyone! *Hugs*
  • lopithecuslopithecus Posts: 1,735 Member
    @mastressalita Okay, thank you. I'll keep that in mind. :)
    k55mmxl
    "The one you confide in the most. The one who understands you best. The one you'll miss more than any other. When he dies..." - Batman/Superman 018
    SuperBat ruined my life!<3
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Yeah - I was bouncing ideas around last night @Karababy52 myself. But then I was distracted by drawing instead... Luckily it's only the middle of the month? Although I'm hoping not to have a repeat of last month's last minute entry.

Thanks all for reading my story last month. All the stories were great in my opinion.

@Babygirl80Plyr Absolution should have been a very happy story, but poor Mel was not feeling excited about her wedding day. Understandable, considering the circumstances. But that dress! Wow. I still need to go back and read the rest of the story to see how everyone got there. There was a lot more to Mel that met the eye, I think. And this story merely hinted at it.

@MagicalPanda2003 Escape Plan was such a fun read. I loved how episoidic it was and how the world was slowly built up through the episodes. I really got invested in Hanna and her brother. And world was really revealed in the screenshots, and not just complementary to the story. You learned a lot more about the world and the white faced? jailers in the shots. Totally would read more in this world. Also, I was pleased that you also killed your main character at the end. Haha. Such a rarity and for us both to do it?!

@Karababy52 Hold Me Close was a lovely love story. And by far the happiest of this month's I'm sorry stories. And I loved how non-traditional it was in that. I'm always up to read about an unconvential romance, and between a homeless "old" lady and a younger man. I loved how the story showed the slow wooing of her. That it started off by accepting her writing and encouraging it. And that house she built!! I would love to have something half as grand. I'm glad they got some happiness.

@rednenemon The Name Game This story was really fun to read and I loved seeing Chunhua from both her perspective and from Huiliang's perspective. I love seeing how the people we think we are aren't always who someone else sees (not that she was all that different, but perspective is everything). And the outfits and buildings in the story - They were positively stunning.

@Pegasus143 Dame in Distress Since I have a fondness for gender non-comformaning folks, I loved reading this love story. And despite the characters not actually getting together - that doesn't it make it less of love story. I feel invested in the protagonist and am curious how their life will turn out, even more so than Stef who was more the focus in the story. I also loved the fact that the apology was to us, the readers, rather than to a character. That was a nice little twist at the end.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited June 2017
    ra3rei wrote: »
    @Karababy52 Hold Me Close was a lovely love story. And by far the happiest of this month's I'm sorry stories. And I loved how non-traditional it was in that. I'm always up to read about an unconvential romance, and between a homeless "old" lady and a younger man. I loved how the story showed the slow wooing of her. That it started off by accepting her writing and encouraging it. And that house she built!! I would love to have something half as grand. I'm glad they got some happiness.

Thank you @ra3rei for your wonderful comments about my story! I'm glad you liked it and her house! I wouldn't mind having it for myself either! lol Except I'd rather live on the Island in Windenburg than the desert. I love trees, green grass and living on/near water. I just published the first chapter continuation of this story too if you're interested in reading it? Here's a link:

Hold Me Close - Chapter 1.0 Time Flies at Knight
    (Click the pic)

H57drk7.jpg

Anyway, still not sure if I'll enter for this month's theme. Hopefully before the end of the month an idea will form for it. Loving the stories already posted and can't wait to read more! Happy Simming and have a great rest of your week! <3

• kethrydrakekethrydrake Posts: 2,389 Member
    Here's my submission for June...
    Marital Musings

• rosethesimmerrosethesimmer Posts: 109 Member
    The Car Accident

The happiest day of Julia and Brian’s life was when their daughter, Annabelle, was born. They captured Annabelle’s milestones with photographs. Tragically, Julia and Brian were killed in a car accident on a winter night when Annabelle was a toddler. Annabelle was sad, along with Julia’s parents, Arwin and Vanessa, who decided to adopt their granddaughter. Vanessa loved photography also, continuing capturing Annabelle’s childhood. Growing up, Annabelle had a happy childhood. She loved mysteries and wanted to be a detective. Annabelle became good friends with her neighbor, Nick, a fun and active boy who wanted to be in the military when he was older. When Annabelle was a teenager, she inquired about her parents. “They were really sweet,” said Vanessa. “They loved to watch you play with your toys and grow.” “How did they die?” Annabelle asked. “Your parents accidentally slid off the road after a snowstorm.” Arwin responded. “There was a lot of ice on the road. Their brakes probably failed.” Annabelle continued on with her life. She and Nick eventually started dating. When they graduated high school, Nick and Annabelle were sad to be going to different schools. Annabelle went on to college to become a detective, while Nick went to military school. Annabelle worked very hard in college. In college, she learned about accident investigation. This prompted Annabelle to get the police report about her parents’ accident. When she read the report, she was surprised to find that the cause of the accident was not seeing a tree because of a snowstorm. This intrigued her, since her grandfather told her something different. After the school year ended, Annabelle decided to look further into the matter. Annabelle found out that her parents’ car was still at a junkyard and had not been touched, so Annabelle and a friend of hers, Chris, a mechanic, decided to check it out. The car did crash into tree, but Chris found out that the brakes had failed from a result of being tampered with. Annabelle brought the evidence to the police, who said they would investigate. She went back to her home and asked to look at some family photos. While retrieving the pictures in a filing cabinet, Annabelle found a photo on the bottom of the stack. It was a picture of her grandfather underneath of her parents’ car, fixing something. This would not have been worrisome, but at the time, her parents’ car was brand new. She gave the photo to police. When the police brought in Arwin for questioning, he confessed to tampering with the brakes. Annabelle was shocked at the news. Her life would never be the same. Annabelle and Nick started dating agains after college. Nick was sympathetic about what happened to Annabelle. “I know you’re angry,” Nick said one day. “But there are many photos of your parents. They are still with you. It is terrible that they were murdered, but they still live on through their photographs.” Through photographs, Annabelle began healing.

Picture: http://imgur.com/a/iy2d9
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    I have my text written out but need to get a screenie.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    I have my text written out but need to get a screenie.
    Awesome! You're almost there!
    Done .. but will wait to publish it tomorrow because I am nearly cross-eyed from needing to sleep
    :)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    edited June 2017
    Submitting ... Done at 494 AND YES this one WAS a challenge!

[img][/img]y0AGXHq.png

https://lisabeesims.wordpress.com/2017/06/22/the-embrace-a-short-short-short-story/
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Here is my entry this month:

Goodbyes
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Just a reminder for anyone thinking of submitting last-minute that you have about 22 hours left.
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Sometimes I hate myself.... :D
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    Hey guys! Please make sure that if you submitted a story that it's listed on the front page! Everybody's story *should* be there except for the one in the thread while I figure out how to link to it...
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
    @SilentWolf101 : If you want to link directly to a specific post, you can right-click the time-stamp on the post in the gray banner and do "copy link location".
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Hey guys! Please make sure that if you submitted a story that it's listed on the front page! Everybody's story *should* be there except for the one in the thread while I figure out how to link to it...

OH @SilentWolf101
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Current Challenge

June's Theme: A Picture’s Worth a Thousand Words

We’re taking this saying literally.

Special Rules:
    Use 1 screenshot and 0-500 words in this month’s entry.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Submissions:
    @lilypadmeulin with Marnie
    @superkyle221 with Happiest Day Of Her Life
    @rednenemon with Nothing Fishy About This
    @Sarahkay with Reuinion
    @Cement with Early Retirement
    @PatchouliNitt with The Most Relaxed Job Ever
    @kethrydrake with Marital Musings
    @lisabee2 with Embrace A Short Story
    @mastressalita with Goodbyes
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "For Fun" Entries: (Any stories listed here are inspired by the monthly theme, but don't follow all the rules of the challenge and aren't in the monthly poll. Sometimes writers can't put limits on their creativity, and that's all good. Enjoy!)
    @Pegasus143 with Max and Me
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Voting Is CLOSED

Voting for June 2017 winners will be open from July 1st to July 7th, 12 pm Central time

*Link coming soon*

Rules:
    • Select your three favorite stories
    • No soliciting votes.

1st place goes to the story with the most votes, 2nd place to the one with the 2nd most amount, etc, etc.

Click here to see a list of all the entries :blush:

Finished the stories thus far .. will check back in tomorrow to see if any last minute subs made it. Lovely job by all :)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    edited August 2017
    July's theme is out! :) also, don't forget to vote! :)
    Current Challenge

July's Theme: The Face Of

Use this as the title of your story, followed by the theme of your story. For example, The Face Of Avangeline.

Special Rules:
    No special rules. 1-12 screenshots, and 500-1,500 words. :)
    Submissions:
    @Pegasus143 with The Face Of Love
    @ny275 with The Face Of Tension
    @allysimbuilds with Gaze Upon The Face Of Eternity
    @mastressalita with The Face Of Captivity
    @PatchouliNitt with The Face of A Serial Killer: Alice’s Confession
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "For Fun" Entries: (Any stories listed here are inspired by the monthly theme, but don't follow all the rules of the challenge and aren't in the monthly poll. Sometimes writers can't put limits on their creativity, and that's all good. Enjoy!)
    Voting Is OPEN

Voting for June 2017 winners will be open from July 1st to July 7th, 12 pm Central time

Vote Here

Rules:
    • Select your three favorite stories
    • No soliciting votes.

1st place goes to the story with the most votes, 2nd place to the one with the 2nd most amount, etc, etc.

Click here to see a list of all the entries :blush:
    Post edited by SilentWolf101 on
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
    Voted .. so many good ones to choose from!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Voted! :)
    Last month was pretty fun. I wonder if I could think of something for this month's theme. It sounds so broad :o
  • PatchouliNittPatchouliNitt Posts: 78 Member
    39edf25f4f3d48e6b489772a75136841.gif?ssl=1&w=450
    Check out my simlit here: Chronicles of Patchouli's Sims
    Does anyone still remember the May prompt, "I'm Sorry"? I was busy that month so I just now got a story done for it, for fun obviously (because I love theme writing!)

This is a bit different fare, something I've wanted to do for a while but haven't had a chance, and decided to go ahead and give it a try now; it's a song (Roxette's "I'm Sorry") illustrated using Sims 3, with an attempt to tell a story through the imagery and lyrics.

This story comes with the following warning: This story contains intimate moments and censored nudity. There is one instance of an exposed bosom. This story is NSFW, but far more tame than many of the intimate love scenes found in R-rated movies. I leave it up to my readers' discretion to decide if they feel comfortable viewing this sort of material.

I'm Sorry (a for funsies super-late May prompt short story)
    sali_adbanner3.jpg