Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆☆ Sims 4 QC Create A Room Contest ~ Challenge 85 Up due (EST) 10th December ☆☆

Comments

• coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,087 Member
    Thank you @rosemow :)!
    4kkjdXo.png

• lisalittlesimmerlisalittlesimmer Posts: 404 Member
    I'm thinking about doing this challenge.. I don't really know if I'm intermediate, experienced or advanced though :D
    My lot showcase
    Origin ID: lisalittlesimmer
    K5IURhP.jpg
    edited June 2017
    Entry Form
    QC Room challenge no: 61
    Origin ID:

Intermediate, Experienced, Advanced or Unofficial level: Unofficial
    Lot: Old Salt House in San Myshuno
    Gallery Name: City Waterfront Bakery
    Gallery Link:
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/48AA7EB65B9811E7824E6931AF6123F2?category=rooms&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=cat315118&max=50&maxis=false
    rHyTIpZ.jpg
    the whole bakery
    CAWYeOS.jpg
    the fireplace/lounge area

Post edited by coolsim9999999 on
    4kkjdXo.png

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,581 Member
    The layout and furnishing of City Waterfront Bakery is very nice! @coolsim9999999 :) The wall texture gives a nice feel to the room. The blue ceiling lights look very nice! They complement well with the walls and the colour scheme of the room. Very nice fireplace armchairs sitting area! Sims will enjoy relaxing there in front of the fire, chatting and watching tv. The cake item and books look great on the fireplace ledge. Nice dining area for sims to enjoy eating food at the table that they have bought at the bakery. The patterned floor rug is a nice touch under the table. The flower box windows are pretty! It looks very nice how the glass display case and espresso machine are placed in the room. Sims will enjoy buying baked items from the display case , and the corner fridge, as well as ordering food and drinks from the espresso machine. The cherry blossom picture is a pretty touch on the wall. The cupcake and pastries pictures look great on the walls and suit it with it being a Bakery. Very nice kitchen area for sims to prepare food to sell.
    Sims will enjoy buying food at the Bakery! :)
    @rosemow --- Thanks so much for your great, very detailed review B)! I'm so glad you like my color scheme and pops of color with my lights, painting, etc. in the bakery and the magic carpet under the tables near the sitting area with the fireplace with the cake and books <3!
    4kkjdXo.png

• Cbear13Cbear13 Posts: 6,278 Member
    @coolsim9999999 oh great bakery I love the brown interior with the pops of green from the lights, great decorating and I love how you separated the kitchen with a half wall. Very nice bakery
    New%20siggie%2011th%20Nov%2015.jpg
    ✦✦ Origin ID: cbear1313 ✦✦ Gallery: cbear1313 Gallery ✦✦ Cbear's Creations ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Practice Challenges ✦✦
    edited June 2017
    @Cbear13 --- Thanks for your very nice comment about my bakery. I’m so happy you like my color scheme, including the green accents, as well as the half wall and decorations!
    4kkjdXo.png

• PersRealmsShadowPersRealmsShadow Posts: 360 Member
    Oi I hope I get to do this one :D It's hot here but I do love bakeries XD @Art good luck with yours!
    EkwtdjR.jpg
    Oi I hope I get to do this one :D It's hot here but I do love bakeries XD @Art good luck with yours!

I will look forward to seeing your bakery if you are able to do one @PersRealmsShadow :)
    Attention.png
    Challenge 60 results are now posted on page 1, spectacular rooms everyone.

Challenge 60 results found here
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    Congratulations to the winners and to everyone for your amazing entries. Spectacular creativity and beautiful decorating.

To the winners here are your banners and sigs. Please save them to your computers

@Hazel3166

Ch60%20sig%20Hazel3166.jpg
    Ch60%20banner%20Hazel3166.jpg

@lsnishi
    Ch60%20sig%20lsnishi.jpg
    Ch60%20banner%20lsnishi.jpg

@chips46
    Ch60%20sig%20chips46.jpg
    Ch60%20banner%20chips46.jpg
    Congratulations to all the winners B)!
    4kkjdXo.png

Congratulations on winning the Intermediate level! @Hazel3166 :)

Congratulations on winning the Experienced level @lsnishi :)

Congratulations on winning the Advanced level! @chips46 :)
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Congratz Congratulations @Hazel3166 @lsnishi @chips46 <3B)

Thanks to the judges o:) OMG I saw that carpet but now I realize that I did not move it :D I liked this challenge, it was different. Now I'm worried about the bakery one: I still use my old bakery room (last year challenge)... I need to try to do an opossite :o
  • MyFavoritedesignMyFavoritedesign Posts: 1,458 Member
    Cbear13 wrote: »
    Critique:
    While we found your room magical and beautiful We have a rule that the existing walls of the room shell can’t be changed which includes being changed to fencing, so shells with walls are supplied to be an inside room and shells supplied with fencing is an outside room. Unfortunately, this makes your room not eligible because of the lack of original walls.
    Tips:
    We feel like you could have done a very similar room by making it like a conservatory and removing the roofing so the tree could be growing out of the room.

Thank you @Cbear13 very much for critique on my room. Fair enough. I knew I was breaking the rules, but I could not abandon the idea of a central tree. Unfortunately it did not fit in the room. I'm glad that you liked my garden. <3
    7HX1Vwg.png
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    Congratulation all winners!!! Congrats too @lsnishi for advancing! I thought all the rooms were so creative. Must admit the Captain's quarters was my favorite.
    Thank you to all judges for the critique, that makes this competition great. I enjoy reading everybody's. :)

Argh, I didn't like the white edge leaving the wall standard height and thought I was allowed to change them, good to know.
    Now I am looking forward to everyone's bakery !

• Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Congratulations to the winners! @chips46 I particularly liked the way you worked a glow/neon effect around the bathroom mirror and clock. VERY COOL idea!
    edited June 2017
    Thank you for your nice comments about my creativity in "Stay In Your Element B)!" I'm glad you liked my ideas :)!

I think I had already posted this room when you talked about how having windows completely surrounding a room makes it hard to attach it to a house.

I will mention more in my entries about what is being used for creativity purposes, and of course, I will check better for things that are sticking into other things. I realized that I thought that by sticking into other things or a the wall, you meant that it was only a placement error, if the object were actually going through a wall. I think you actually mean that objects can't touch the wall without going through it --- inside or outside a room or build. Is that what you mean?

I have a question:
    How do you use the ALT key for avoiding placement errors by moving an object completely freely? Do you have to have "moo" on, and what else do you do to get objects to move where you want? Could you please elaborate? I've been trying it, but somehow, it doesn't work for me yet.
    4kkjdXo.png

• lsnishilsnishi Posts: 2,714 Member
    Thanks @rosemow, @coolsim9999999, @emere, @mannanna, and @JasonAnthonySterling. Congrats on the Maxis fav @chips46 and @Hazel3166; great rooms both of you!
    PDWxp40.jpg
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Hello @coolsim9999999 if you hold down the alt key while placing a objects it keeps it from snapping to the grid so you can place it off the grid and keep say plant leaves from sticking in the wall or a curtain etc. You don't need MOO on you just need to hold down the alt while your placing it. As far as placement goes a lot of times we find plants, rugs, and other objects placed right next to a wall and say its a plant the leaves of the potted (or even a exterior plant like a bush) will have the leaves of said plant going into the wall. That looks unrealistic. If you had a plant in your house and a leaf (or half of the leaves in your plant) was half sticking into your wall you might freak out lol I know I would. If i get time in a little bit I will post examples of placement errors when we mean going through or into a wall or other object etc. Because, I really want this to be clear. And, I'm not sure it is. So seeing will help I think :)

I had so much fun judging the objects room challenge and I thought everyone was so creative and did such a good job!

Congratulations on being fav'd by Maxi! @chips46 and @Hazel3166 :)

Thank you @Cbear13 very much for critique on my room. Fair enough. I knew I was breaking the rules, but I could not abandon the idea of a central tree. Unfortunately it did not fit in the room. I'm glad that you liked my garden. <3
    [/quote]
    I did play with your entry a bit and re-added all the walls and added windows but, changed nothing else and the tree was placed just fine. But, if your happy to break the rules for the sake of your design we don't mind at all lol your just not able to win that way. And, you could always enter as unofficial if you find this is the case in future challenges unless you really want the feedback. And, we are happy to judge it anyways and give you feedback! :) We loved your room and thought it was very creative and magical :)

@emere finding a placement issue in anything you do is near impossible lol i was shocked to be honest! proof that you are human! lol we thought your room was so fun! And, had that pesky rug not been in the wall you would of tied with chips ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all do with the bakery challenge!
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

You're welcome @lsnishi :)!
    4kkjdXo.png

edited July 2017
    @lisa17ann --- I really appreciate all the help you've given me and can give me about how to use alt B)! I think that pictures would help :D! I also think I had MOO on when I tried to use the alt key :o!
    Post edited by coolsim9999999 on
    4kkjdXo.png

• lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    edited June 2017
    @coolsim9999999 you can use the Alt key trick with or without MOO on. It doesn't effect using it. You just have to hold down the Alt key until the item is placed where you want it be. :)

ok so here are some common placement issues we come across as judges. I hope some of you find this helpful going forward in entering the QC comps! :) And, FYI The issues with plants sticking into walls and objects also includes foundations as well.

Pe1a.jpg
    here you have "wild grass" this happens often as well with the "lovely lavender bush" and other plants and flowers.
    on the left its placed not using alt and has snapped to the grid right up against the house. On the right I have used the Alt key and pulled it away from the wall and out of the wall of the house and you can see quite a bit of the leaves on the "wild grass" plant that you didn't see before. This is a placement error you will always be marked off for. It's not typically something you could say "hey this is just creative!"

pe3a.jpg
    Here you can see the "low-laying pale yellow flowers" are going through the rock and the rock is going into the wall of the house.
    on the right I have used the Alt key while placing them to look more natural and you can see that some of the rocks are so close to each other they look like a rock cluster. And, the flowers are right next to it instead of going into the rocks and the house. which looks more natural.

pe8a.jpg
    on the left the tree has its leaves sticking into the roofing on the house. And, on the right I have held down the alt key and slowly turned the tree until it wasn't going into the roof anymore. this wont always work depending on the tree. some times you will just need to move it away from the house a bit more until the tree is no longer going into the roofing.

pe2a.jpg
    on the left you can see the leaf of this potted indoor plant is going into the wall. And, again on the left I simply held down the Alt key and moved the plant away until it wasn't in the wall any more.

The first four things are placement errors you will always be marked off for. It's not typically something you could say "hey this is just creative!" but, you never know maybe a abandoned house might have plants growing through the foundation or walls haha! :D

pe6a.jpg
    Here we have on the left a rug is going under the tub and the toilet. Both of which are what we called "Fixed Objects". That means anything in a real house you couldn't move to place a rug under it shouldn't have a rug under it in your builds! Other things that we find rugs under that we consider a "Fixed Object" are walls (yep walls! lol), under floor length windows where the window frame is touching the ground, kitchen and bathroom counters, sinks the have some element of them touching the floor, and door frames.

pe7a.jpg
    Now here we have on the left 2 pics of how columns can be your worst enemy! Here we have this cute little alcove. And, by the way we love seeing things like this because it's showing a lot of creativity. You can also see that the column is not only going into the table but, also the curtain placed on the front. (for extra fanciness! oolala!) Now if you simply just remove the column, then it's not going into either! Problem solved right? Sure But, if you don't want to remove the columns because you like them and you feel like they add to your room or build or say your using spandrels and you want them to have the decorative edge they only have when a column is attached. This is where you would say I don't care it's sticking into the table or the curtain so what you do then, would mention it in your entry form so we don't assume you didn't notice it and we don't take points off for it! YAY right? right! It's just that easy! And, is very helpful to us as judges because, we don't always know what your all thinking when placing things. So please PLEASE tell us in your entry form when your making a design choice over a placement issue! pleeease!!!

pe5a.jpg
    pe4a.jpg
    Here is another example of the dreaded columns and how they can be considered a placement issues. We agree the use of columns are great to use and we don't mind them being used in all kinds of creative ways. In fact we encourage it! Say your making a small kitchenette in a office room for example and you want to use a combination of columns and counters to make them look more like a built in. the first photo shows the single counter sticking halfway through the columns and it looks unrealistic and a bit messy by adding two more counters on either side it fixes this issue. In the next photo we have the same example with two counters. Again it looks odd, unrealistic and unfinished. In this instance I have used two of the the end cap type counters that are slightly smaller and and don't go into the columns at all. here are just two examples of how columns can best you when it comes to placement. But, again if you like how it looks and want to keep them in your room and/or build then simply mention it in your entry form and you wont have any points taken off for this!

I have been building on the sims since the original sims game came out like 16 years ago. I have become a better builder since I started entering this challenge and then becoming part of it's creative ideas and judging team. I love the idea of being creative yet also working towards making my builds look realistic. I have not only learned from entering in fact if anything I have learned more from judging. And, for that I am very grateful to be part of the Quality Control Comps! I know it can be frustrating when you want to use something but, it doesn't look right so you have to keep looking and trying new flowers, items, roofing etc. So I hope you all take the feedback with a grain of salt and most importantly be happy with your build win or lose.

And, if @Cbear13 and @Pebblycat have anything to add that I may have missed please jump in! :)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top