December 6 - It's Friday. What does it mean in The Sims forums? Time to highlight some awesim discussions!
December 5 - It's patch day for The Sims 4 on console! Read the patch notes here.

The Year was 1999


While going through some boxes in the attic I found this.

IMG_1221_zpsoeqxkblm.jpg

IMG_1223_zpsi3vr6qwb.jpg

IMG_1222_zpsri8jbu6n.jpg

Wow! The memories this brings back. :smiley:
j7zqrt.jpg

Comments

  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 23,731 Member
    That was a rival to Roller Coaster Tycoon which I owned that year myself. RCT was on of many great games that where out back then.

    You cannot forget that 1999 had also seen the launch of the mighty Sim City 3000 either :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I have the exact same game, but mine is named Theme Park World.

    250px-SimThemeParkWorld.jpg

    I never new there was another name for it. Apparently the game was called differently depending on the country it was sold in:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_Park_World

    Last year I reinstalled that game and played it. So many good memories indeed.
  • skm36skm36 Posts: 2,754 Member
    edited April 2017

    @king_of_simcity7
    They did come out with a lot of great games that year. :smiley: I just love coming across things from the past. Especially, when I have semi forgotten about them. :smiley:

    @Klthf
    Oh, wow! I didn't know it had another name either. I was so surprised I still have it. It has been packed away and moved several times. :smiley:
    j7zqrt.jpg
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 10,956 Member
    Awesome! Have you installed it and had a go? I don't seem to be able to get into RCT games, I bought some of the older ones and did not play them much, then tried Planet Coaster but found it differed from my expectations so have hardly touched that either.

    I ought to try playing Simcity 2000, as I got that free through Origin and haven't even looked at it yet.
  • KayosCatalystKayosCatalyst Posts: 313 Member
    Anyone played theme hospital? use to spend hours on that game building and running a hopsital
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    Origin gave it Theme Hospital) away for free back when they started the free ON the House games. You can still play it if you want to. I find it a bit monotonous though - a little funny - but old.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Anyone played theme hospital? use to spend hours on that game building and running a hopsital

    I tried the version they gave away on Orgin. But I didn't understand how to play lol.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    james64468 wrote: »
    Anyone played theme hospital? use to spend hours on that game building and running a hopsital

    I tried the version they gave away on Orgin. But I didn't understand how to play lol.

    Here's a you tube gameplay for Theme Hospital I used to get the hang of it:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=theme+hospital+gameplay&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • skm36skm36 Posts: 2,754 Member
    edited April 2017
    Awesome! Have you installed it and had a go? I don't seem to be able to get into RCT games, I bought some of the older ones and did not play them much, then tried Planet Coaster but found it differed from my expectations so have hardly touched that either.

    I ought to try playing Simcity 2000, as I got that free through Origin and haven't even looked at it yet.

    Nah, I haven't even tried to load it up on my computer to see if it works. Maybe sometime in the future I will give it another go. That is if it will even work on my current computer. :)
    I have Simcity 2000 also, like you I got it during the free give away through Origin. I haven't played it yet though. When I have time to play a game, I am going to load up Sims 3 or Sims 2. Occasionally, I will play Sims 4 since they added toddlers.
    j7zqrt.jpg
  • skm36skm36 Posts: 2,754 Member
    @Writin_Reg I never played the Sims golf or the Theme Hospital. Back when those games were released, my life was so busy I barely had time for much of anything. Lol Seeing these older games, shows just how far we have come in video games over the years.
    j7zqrt.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    I was actually at my most busiest back in those days - my kids were all home then - I worked during the day as a Geriatric/pediatric dietitian at a Healthcare Facility, and at night I worked on writing books, making time with my husband for making dinner, doing a bit of gardening, housework, laundry, etc - but spending time with the kids was a priority and we would sit and play a game or two together after my work and their school while I unwound with a cup of coffee, my hubby, and my kids - I enjoyed helping them play various games. It was something we had always done since they were little and these type of games were fun, funny, and very family friendly. When the kids had their weekends with their real dads family - well hubby and I would still come home and unwind by playing these games - helped me not miss my kids and they were always excited to see how I might have moved the game ahead while they were gone. We were really a gaming family then and still are today. It was funny when each of the boys went off to college almost always when they called home every week they would ask how "our" games was going - and when the Sims themselves came along - they asked about the Sims as if they were family. LOL.

    I have always used gaming as a relaxation tool as nothing beats just sitting back with a cup of coffee or tea, and laughing in game. It cleared work out of my head, and allowed me to energize myself for household tasks I needed to get done - plus it actually put my head in the right frame of mind to write a few hours every night.

    Gaming - you could say kept me sane - lol in a very busy life.

    Also when I got seriously ill a few years ago - well being a gamer made it all bearable and some might even say it is what helped me fight and win that battle. It was a long 5 plus year battle, but being a simmer and a gamer I swear is a major part of how I am still here today.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • skm36skm36 Posts: 2,754 Member
    @Writin_Reg
    Our go to games back then, when we had down time, were on the Nintendo, playing games like - Super Mario Brothers and Zelda and before that Pac Man. Boy, oh boy! Did I like playing Pac Man! We really didn't play computer games until Sims - and then my sister and I, are the only one's who play the Sims games.

    Sounds like you had a very busy and full life back then. My kids were involved in activities - that had us out of the house more than in it - while they were growing up. Lol My Mini van had a lot of mileage put on it with all the driving I did - getting kids to their events. I actually, had a pillow and blanket in my van - so I could catch some naps. Lol
    Now my husband and I are raising two of our grand-kids. So, we are back on the fast track with getting kids to school and all their activities - that they are involved in. Maybe some day - things will slow down.

    I think I remember - you mentioning at one time in a thread - here on the forum - you were fighting cancer. If, I remembered this right - I am happy you won that battle. It is a hard battle to fight! * Hugs*
    My sister is currently fighting cancer and is going through chemo - right now. We are praying it will work. Otherwise they say - she will need a bone marrow transplant. So, we are waiting to see if - the chemo will work.

    j7zqrt.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    skm36 wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg
    Our go to games back then, when we had down time, were on the Nintendo, playing games like - Super Mario Brothers and Zelda and before that Pac Man. Boy, oh boy! Did I like playing Pac Man! We really didn't play computer games until Sims - and then my sister and I, are the only one's who play the Sims games.

    Sounds like you had a very busy and full life back then. My kids were involved in activities - that had us out of the house more than in it - while they were growing up. Lol My Mini van had a lot of mileage put on it with all the driving I did - getting kids to their events. I actually, had a pillow and blanket in my van - so I could catch some naps. Lol
    Now my husband and I are raising two of our grand-kids. So, we are back on the fast track with getting kids to school and all their activities - that they are involved in. Maybe some day - things will slow down.

    I think I remember - you mentioning at one time in a thread - here on the forum - you were fighting cancer. If, I remembered this right - I am happy you won that battle. It is a hard battle to fight! * Hugs*
    My sister is currently fighting cancer and is going through chemo - right now. We are praying it will work. Otherwise they say - she will need a bone marrow transplant. So, we are waiting to see if - the chemo will work.

    Yep - I had leukemia - It is funny they never say cured though - they say remission - besides the resulting side affects to get here has been worse than the disease. But that is a long story no one needs to hear anyway. LOL.

    Oh my sons also had their activities (besides my three son I also had 4 foster sons and one foster daughter I raised through their teen years and got into college) - all were in the Boy scouts (but the girl - she was a volunteer Candy Striper at the hospital after school), my hubby was an assistant Scout Master for their troupe too. My eldest son played Football and in fact got a college scholarship thanks to it. My middle son was in Band and made it to first trumpeter by his Junior year - he started trumpet in 3rd grade and still plays a mean trumpet - lol. But he had a serious love of computers and he is the one who ended up becoming a computer C++ programmer, - tech, etc. My youngest son was into radio equipment, dj and eventually sound Bass competitions. He ended up eventually becoming a world competitor in DB Bass automotive competition. My foster sons all had their own activities as well. lol - but we always made time and fun for every one - I guess it is how you look at life. It was busy, but always happy busy. Wouldn't trade those days for any in the world.

    So yes - we also had plenty of attending ball games, hockey games, music related things and helping the youngest moving his equipment and such - but that was just sort of part of life anyway for almost any parent. We still always made fun time between it all as a daily requirement for everyone to just let their hair down and enjoy each others company. Thanks to gaming though even when I was real sick - my kids and foster kids would be there on line for me - Around here Mother's and Father's Days are a big event nowadays. LOL.

    Oh we had consoles too - but they were more or less something we did when we had a few minutes here or there. We had Nintendo entertainment center, Sega, VOX, you name it - we had them. But when the kids went off to college and had their own apartment - I had each one take a couple consoles with the games with them.

    Ah my time on console was - Asteroids, Missile Command, Zelda of course, Mario Brothers etc - Kings Quest, Castlemania - oh so many - but they were not like my pc time - they were games I amused myself with when I just wanted a few minutes to escape and laugh one on one with one of the kids or hubby.

    Prayers for your sister for sure - Chemo royally rots - and prayers she comes through it all with out the terrible side affects I was left with. But I am grateful just to be here and able to see my kids and their growing families.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • PhoenixArrandePhoenixArrande Posts: 90 Member
    I had that game back then! I downloaded and played it again from the Playstation Store just last year....Ahh, memories!
  • skm36skm36 Posts: 2,754 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    skm36 wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg
    Our go to games back then, when we had down time, were on the Nintendo, playing games like - Super Mario Brothers and Zelda and before that Pac Man. Boy, oh boy! Did I like playing Pac Man! We really didn't play computer games until Sims - and then my sister and I, are the only one's who play the Sims games.

    Sounds like you had a very busy and full life back then. My kids were involved in activities - that had us out of the house more than in it - while they were growing up. Lol My Mini van had a lot of mileage put on it with all the driving I did - getting kids to their events. I actually, had a pillow and blanket in my van - so I could catch some naps. Lol
    Now my husband and I are raising two of our grand-kids. So, we are back on the fast track with getting kids to school and all their activities - that they are involved in. Maybe some day - things will slow down.

    I think I remember - you mentioning at one time in a thread - here on the forum - you were fighting cancer. If, I remembered this right - I am happy you won that battle. It is a hard battle to fight! * Hugs*
    My sister is currently fighting cancer and is going through chemo - right now. We are praying it will work. Otherwise they say - she will need a bone marrow transplant. So, we are waiting to see if - the chemo will work.

    Yep - I had leukemia - It is funny they never say cured though - they say remission - besides the resulting side affects to get here has been worse than the disease. But that is a long story no one needs to hear anyway. LOL.

    Oh my sons also had their activities (besides my three son I also had 4 foster sons and one foster daughter I raised through their teen years and got into college) - all were in the Boy scouts (but the girl - she was a volunteer Candy Striper at the hospital after school), my hubby was an assistant Scout Master for their troupe too. My eldest son played Football and in fact got a college scholarship thanks to it. My middle son was in Band and made it to first trumpeter by his Junior year - he started trumpet in 3rd grade and still plays a mean trumpet - lol. But he had a serious love of computers and he is the one who ended up becoming a computer C++ programmer, - tech, etc. My youngest son was into radio equipment, dj and eventually sound Bass competitions. He ended up eventually becoming a world competitor in DB Bass automotive competition. My foster sons all had their own activities as well. lol - but we always made time and fun for every one - I guess it is how you look at life. It was busy, but always happy busy. Wouldn't trade those days for any in the world.

    So yes - we also had plenty of attending ball games, hockey games, music related things and helping the youngest moving his equipment and such - but that was just sort of part of life anyway for almost any parent. We still always made fun time between it all as a daily requirement for everyone to just let their hair down and enjoy each others company. Thanks to gaming though even when I was real sick - my kids and foster kids would be there on line for me - Around here Mother's and Father's Days are a big event nowadays. LOL.

    Oh we had consoles too - but they were more or less something we did when we had a few minutes here or there. We had Nintendo entertainment center, Sega, VOX, you name it - we had them. But when the kids went off to college and had their own apartment - I had each one take a couple consoles with the games with them.

    Ah my time on console was - Asteroids, Missile Command, Zelda of course, Mario Brothers etc - Kings Quest, Castlemania - oh so many - but they were not like my pc time - they were games I amused myself with when I just wanted a few minutes to escape and laugh one on one with one of the kids or hubby.

    Prayers for your sister for sure - Chemo royally rots - and prayers she comes through it all with out the terrible side affects I was left with. But I am grateful just to be here and able to see my kids and their growing families.


    I am very happy to hear that - the leukemia you were battling - is in remission. *Hugs* My sister has been having some bad side effects and she has more bad days than good - lately. We are all hoping she will beat this - as it is so hard watching her go through it.

    My husband was is the military throughout our kids growing up - he was gone for most of their growing up years - I was pretty much a single parent - doing both the father and mother roles, because he was gone so much. The hardest thing was him coming home because, the kids and I were - so use to doing everything without him. We would have to stop - we would realize he was home - before going out the door and include him in the plans. Lol


    j7zqrt.jpg
  • skm36skm36 Posts: 2,754 Member
    I had that game back then! I downloaded and played it again from the Playstation Store just last year....Ahh, memories!

    That's awesome! :smiley:
    j7zqrt.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    skm36 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    skm36 wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg
    Our go to games back then, when we had down time, were on the Nintendo, playing games like - Super Mario Brothers and Zelda and before that Pac Man. Boy, oh boy! Did I like playing Pac Man! We really didn't play computer games until Sims - and then my sister and I, are the only one's who play the Sims games.

    Sounds like you had a very busy and full life back then. My kids were involved in activities - that had us out of the house more than in it - while they were growing up. Lol My Mini van had a lot of mileage put on it with all the driving I did - getting kids to their events. I actually, had a pillow and blanket in my van - so I could catch some naps. Lol
    Now my husband and I are raising two of our grand-kids. So, we are back on the fast track with getting kids to school and all their activities - that they are involved in. Maybe some day - things will slow down.

    I think I remember - you mentioning at one time in a thread - here on the forum - you were fighting cancer. If, I remembered this right - I am happy you won that battle. It is a hard battle to fight! * Hugs*
    My sister is currently fighting cancer and is going through chemo - right now. We are praying it will work. Otherwise they say - she will need a bone marrow transplant. So, we are waiting to see if - the chemo will work.

    Yep - I had leukemia - It is funny they never say cured though - they say remission - besides the resulting side affects to get here has been worse than the disease. But that is a long story no one needs to hear anyway. LOL.

    Oh my sons also had their activities (besides my three son I also had 4 foster sons and one foster daughter I raised through their teen years and got into college) - all were in the Boy scouts (but the girl - she was a volunteer Candy Striper at the hospital after school), my hubby was an assistant Scout Master for their troupe too. My eldest son played Football and in fact got a college scholarship thanks to it. My middle son was in Band and made it to first trumpeter by his Junior year - he started trumpet in 3rd grade and still plays a mean trumpet - lol. But he had a serious love of computers and he is the one who ended up becoming a computer C++ programmer, - tech, etc. My youngest son was into radio equipment, dj and eventually sound Bass competitions. He ended up eventually becoming a world competitor in DB Bass automotive competition. My foster sons all had their own activities as well. lol - but we always made time and fun for every one - I guess it is how you look at life. It was busy, but always happy busy. Wouldn't trade those days for any in the world.

    So yes - we also had plenty of attending ball games, hockey games, music related things and helping the youngest moving his equipment and such - but that was just sort of part of life anyway for almost any parent. We still always made fun time between it all as a daily requirement for everyone to just let their hair down and enjoy each others company. Thanks to gaming though even when I was real sick - my kids and foster kids would be there on line for me - Around here Mother's and Father's Days are a big event nowadays. LOL.

    Oh we had consoles too - but they were more or less something we did when we had a few minutes here or there. We had Nintendo entertainment center, Sega, VOX, you name it - we had them. But when the kids went off to college and had their own apartment - I had each one take a couple consoles with the games with them.

    Ah my time on console was - Asteroids, Missile Command, Zelda of course, Mario Brothers etc - Kings Quest, Castlemania - oh so many - but they were not like my pc time - they were games I amused myself with when I just wanted a few minutes to escape and laugh one on one with one of the kids or hubby.

    Prayers for your sister for sure - Chemo royally rots - and prayers she comes through it all with out the terrible side affects I was left with. But I am grateful just to be here and able to see my kids and their growing families.


    I am very happy to hear that - the leukemia you were battling - is in remission. *Hugs* My sister has been having some bad side effects and she has more bad days than good - lately. We are all hoping she will beat this - as it is so hard watching her go through it.

    My husband was is the military throughout our kids growing up - he was gone for most of their growing up years - I was pretty much a single parent - doing both the father and mother roles, because he was gone so much. The hardest thing was him coming home because, the kids and I were - so use to doing everything without him. We would have to stop - we would realize he was home - before going out the door and include him in the plans. Lol


    I am sorry your sis is also going through the awful side affects. Hopefully none remain permanent or long lasting. Bless her though - I know well how she feels. The on line Leukemia society is a Godsend. Maybe when she feels up to it - she can check it out on Facebook and Twitter. They can link her up with a lot of help as well as useful guidance and info. That is if she does not already know about such things.

    My hubby had 6 years in the military but thankfully before we knew each other very well.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • skm36skm36 Posts: 2,754 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    skm36 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    skm36 wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg
    Our go to games back then, when we had down time, were on the Nintendo, playing games like - Super Mario Brothers and Zelda and before that Pac Man. Boy, oh boy! Did I like playing Pac Man! We really didn't play computer games until Sims - and then my sister and I, are the only one's who play the Sims games.

    Sounds like you had a very busy and full life back then. My kids were involved in activities - that had us out of the house more than in it - while they were growing up. Lol My Mini van had a lot of mileage put on it with all the driving I did - getting kids to their events. I actually, had a pillow and blanket in my van - so I could catch some naps. Lol
    Now my husband and I are raising two of our grand-kids. So, we are back on the fast track with getting kids to school and all their activities - that they are involved in. Maybe some day - things will slow down.

    I think I remember - you mentioning at one time in a thread - here on the forum - you were fighting cancer. If, I remembered this right - I am happy you won that battle. It is a hard battle to fight! * Hugs*
    My sister is currently fighting cancer and is going through chemo - right now. We are praying it will work. Otherwise they say - she will need a bone marrow transplant. So, we are waiting to see if - the chemo will work.

    Yep - I had leukemia - It is funny they never say cured though - they say remission - besides the resulting side affects to get here has been worse than the disease. But that is a long story no one needs to hear anyway. LOL.

    Oh my sons also had their activities (besides my three son I also had 4 foster sons and one foster daughter I raised through their teen years and got into college) - all were in the Boy scouts (but the girl - she was a volunteer Candy Striper at the hospital after school), my hubby was an assistant Scout Master for their troupe too. My eldest son played Football and in fact got a college scholarship thanks to it. My middle son was in Band and made it to first trumpeter by his Junior year - he started trumpet in 3rd grade and still plays a mean trumpet - lol. But he had a serious love of computers and he is the one who ended up becoming a computer C++ programmer, - tech, etc. My youngest son was into radio equipment, dj and eventually sound Bass competitions. He ended up eventually becoming a world competitor in DB Bass automotive competition. My foster sons all had their own activities as well. lol - but we always made time and fun for every one - I guess it is how you look at life. It was busy, but always happy busy. Wouldn't trade those days for any in the world.

    So yes - we also had plenty of attending ball games, hockey games, music related things and helping the youngest moving his equipment and such - but that was just sort of part of life anyway for almost any parent. We still always made fun time between it all as a daily requirement for everyone to just let their hair down and enjoy each others company. Thanks to gaming though even when I was real sick - my kids and foster kids would be there on line for me - Around here Mother's and Father's Days are a big event nowadays. LOL.

    Oh we had consoles too - but they were more or less something we did when we had a few minutes here or there. We had Nintendo entertainment center, Sega, VOX, you name it - we had them. But when the kids went off to college and had their own apartment - I had each one take a couple consoles with the games with them.

    Ah my time on console was - Asteroids, Missile Command, Zelda of course, Mario Brothers etc - Kings Quest, Castlemania - oh so many - but they were not like my pc time - they were games I amused myself with when I just wanted a few minutes to escape and laugh one on one with one of the kids or hubby.

    Prayers for your sister for sure - Chemo royally rots - and prayers she comes through it all with out the terrible side affects I was left with. But I am grateful just to be here and able to see my kids and their growing families.


    I am very happy to hear that - the leukemia you were battling - is in remission. *Hugs* My sister has been having some bad side effects and she has more bad days than good - lately. We are all hoping she will beat this - as it is so hard watching her go through it.

    My husband was is the military throughout our kids growing up - he was gone for most of their growing up years - I was pretty much a single parent - doing both the father and mother roles, because he was gone so much. The hardest thing was him coming home because, the kids and I were - so use to doing everything without him. We would have to stop - we would realize he was home - before going out the door and include him in the plans. Lol


    I am sorry your sis is also going through the awful side affects. Hopefully none remain permanent or long lasting. Bless her though - I know well how she feels. The on line Leukemia society is a Godsend. Maybe when she feels up to it - she can check it out on Facebook and Twitter. They can link her up with a lot of help as well as useful guidance and info. That is if she does not already know about such things.

    My hubby had 6 years in the military but thankfully before we knew each other very well.


    Thank you for the information - I will definitely pass it on to her. They may have already given her some contact info for support but, I will tell her about this too. Again - thank you for the info. *Hugs*
    j7zqrt.jpg
  • FreakAboutSimsFreakAboutSims Posts: 787 Member
    That wasn't actually a Sims title surprisingly. It was apart of the Theme Park line of games. Also, that game always crashed.
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 350 Member
    I had that too, but I always felt Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 was still better (even if it was just 2d).
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I would love to play all these older games if I get a chance one day. Was a wee little 3 year old in 99 :p
  • residentevilobresidentevilob Posts: 141 Member
    skm36 wrote: »
    @king_of_simcity7
    They did come out with a lot of great games that year. :smiley: I just love coming across things from the past. Especially, when I have semi forgotten about them. :smiley:

    @Klthf
    Oh, wow! I didn't know it had another name either. I was so surprised I still have it. It has been packed away and moved several times. :smiley:

    The THEME and SIM franchises were both EA properties but when ThemeParks sequels hit certain areas like the USA EA had them drop the Theme label and adopt the "Sim" branding instead since EA was trying to continue building up the SIM franchise. This kinda killed the Theme series which was basically the same as the SIM series anyways.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top