Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Traits, and too many of them.

I have a sim who I saved to the CAS sim bin. At the time I saved her she had two extra traits, one for graduating University, and one from reaching the top of a social group.
I abandoned the save she was in to begin afresh, and so tweaked my copy of her that I had in the CAS Bin, and then moved her into a house with the usual five traits.
I quickly switched from her home to another, to set up another sim that I would be playing rotationally. However, when I returned to my original Sim, she had been assigned two extra, random traits. I removed them with MC, and went on my way. But every time I switch away from her, and come back again, she again has two more random traits.
Does anyone know how to stop the game from assigning her the extra traits? I am assuming it is because she had two extra when I saved her, but it's becoming very annoying.
Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
PoppySims Archive
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
I ♡ Pudding

Comments

• GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    Just deal with it? The traits can be very interesting. Or ignore them?
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I don't want to just deal with it. I would like a solution because it isn't supposed to be happening AND because I don't want this Sim to have more than her allotted traits.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    Maybe you could save her in CAS, select the sim, and there randomize and change back the traits, like she had a 'trait-reset' ? I never had this problem so I'm sorry, but if there isn't anything that helps you should just deal with it. It isn't such a big thing anyway.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to stop the game from assigning her the extra traits? I am assuming it is because she had two extra when I saved her, but it's becoming very annoying.

I've never been in this situation so don't have a solution, but I have some ideas on what I would try. First, back up your game. Actually first, have you tried using MC to reset the sim?

Next I'd look at her hidden skill level for the social groups. If one or more of them is high enough to earn the social group trait, perhaps that is why the game is assigning her one of those extra traits. I think the level to get that trait slot is level 8. If you find the skill levels for the social groups too high, try setting them to 0 or 1.

The 2nd idea I have is a shot in the dark type suggestion. MC (Cheats module) has a Clean command under Traits. That command "Wipes out all traits and lifetime rewards for the specified sim" and in my experience returns your sim to a totally blank slate as far as traits are concerned. First you should into MC>Advanced>Traits>Change Traits and write down all the traits she should have, including hidden ones. Also note which LTRs she has and the amount of Lifetime Happiness points she has. Then use the MC>Advanced>Traits>Clean command. Then use MC to add back the traits (normal and hidden) she should have, an finally adjust her lifetime happiness points if necessary and repurchase her LTRs via MC (you can do them all at once provided she has the points for them).

I've used the Clean command to fix sims with trait related issues that I couldn't fix by simply removing problematic hidden traits. I've only used it on 3 sims (with the same issue) so I don't have a lot of experience with it. I don't know if it will fix your issue, but it's something I would try if nothing else works.
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    Make two of her in CAS. Make one of the doubles a guy. Then make a baby with the two sims in CAS. Age the baby up and it should look just like her. If not try a couple more times. Assign her the traits you want her to have and that should work because according to the game she would an entirely new sim.

• TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I had that issue once when I had story progression set to add missing traits to empty trait slots once and had increased the max slots for sims in Retuner.I had to disable that "feature" and ended up manually editing the traits with Master Controller to add traits of my choosing to the empty slots.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    You can try NRaas: MasterController's Reset Sim. It's more in-depth than the games reset cheat. Cheat module required.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The problem here isn't that the trait data associated with the sim is wrong (incorrect or missing traits), it's that they have seven trait slots open to be filled instead of the expected five. Yes of course try a MC Reset Sim, but I like the sound of @TreyNutz suggestions as well.

If all else fails, I'm sorry but I would just play through it and give the sim 2 "extra" traits that don't affect gameplay or their personality very much. Maybe Vehicle Enthusiast (if that's not too annoying) or Loves the Cold, something like that. I often hand out Vegetarian to sims for whom I need a placeholder trait, I know this is just me but 98% of the time my sims eat veg anyway because the player directing them does. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited June 2017
    The fix for that extra traits issue is to just go into NRaas>story progression>general options>sim options>traits and lifetime rewards and set add missing traits to sims to false if it's been set to true.It means that sims who fail to get a trait on aging up will have to be given one with Master Controller manually later and I'd choose one that fit them at that time.
    I use handy or green thumb for filler traits if I need to fill empty slots or just leave them empty and they'll stay empty unless I decided to add more traits later with MC.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    TadOlson wrote: »
    The fix for that extra traits issue is to just go into NRaas>story progression>general options>sim options>traits and lifetime rewards and set add missing traits to sims to false if it's been set to true.It means that sims who fail to get a trait on aging up will have to be given one with Master Controller manually later and I'd choose one that fit them at that time.
    First of all, it's General Options > Options:Sims > Options:Traits/Lifetime Wants. It's not under "Sim Options" unfortunately or she would be able to set that selectively on the one sim or household in question without bothering the rest of the world.

That is a solution yes, but I doubt it's the one that the OP is looking for. Many players would not want to be burdened assigning traits manually to what could be hundreds of inactive sims as they age up, graduate Uni, or acquire high level social group status throughout the course of their game. The result will more likely be a majority of sims with empty trait slots all over the place.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I did try a reset but it didn't fix it.

What actually has fixed it ( and I can't believe I am saying this ) is using EA's "Mid Life Crisis" reward and getting rid of the two extra traits. So far they haven't come back again.
    I just can't believe that an actual EA feature fixed a bug. I'm shocked.

Thank you all for trying help, I appreciate it. I know it may seem odd to some of you, but when things don't work the way they're expected to, I unfortunately find it difficult to let go of said "problem" until I find a solution to fix it.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    In EA's defence, I have been playing the game vanilla for years and managed to get rid of a bug without using a mod at more than one occasion ;) Too bad it was always players that handed me those solutions, never EA...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Peach77Peach77 Posts: 313 Member
    Glad you fixed it. I was going to suggest taking into CAS and changing her age down to a teen or child, which will limit and remove the amount of traits. Then put her back to the proper age before exiting. Although you'll probably have to redo her hair, clothes, makeup this way.
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I did try a reset but it didn't fix it.

What actually has fixed it ( and I can't believe I am saying this ) is using EA's "Mid Life Crisis" reward and getting rid of the two extra traits. So far they haven't come back again.
    I just can't believe that an actual EA feature fixed a bug. I'm shocked.

Thank you all for trying help, I appreciate it. I know it may seem odd to some of you, but when things don't work the way they're expected to, I unfortunately find it difficult to let go of said "problem" until I find a solution to fix it.

LOL at EA feature fixing a bug. Strange indeed! Glad you got it sorted out. And you don't have to apologize for something that bothers you. It's not up to anyone else to tell us what's a big deal or not. (Can't believe the rudeness of some people, jeesh.)

I was wondering if she still had her college diploma in her inventory but if it had to do with the number of open trait slots, I guess I can see why it was happening. I liked @Peach77's idea to age down/back up in CAS. I'll have to remember that if I'm ever in the same boat!
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes, I think that might work as well. I recently changed a sim in MC-CAS (wanting to use all the skills this sim had built up but giving him a different look and different traits) and I remember he lost those two extra traits that way.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I was referrring to sims under general otions in stroy progression is where the forcing traits on empty slots can be stopped by setting add missing traits to sims to false instead of true.I always change it to false if it's set to true as I don't want traits being spammed on my sims.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited June 2017
    Maybe you could try a "body swap". Make a sim with the 5 traits, etc. that you want, place her in your town and then take her into CAS and overwrite her looks with binned sim.

Edit to add: Oops. I see you fixed it :)