Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆☆ Sims 4 Quality Control Practice Challenges ☆☆

Comments

• WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Cbear13 wrote: »
    Oh my *slaps self
    @WiggleyTuff I am sooo sorry I have no excuse other than just having the worst memory known to man.
    If you do want to re enter a challenge or want me to look at one then I will make it my priority before I do anything else on here

Hahahah i might give another practice challenge a try later this week and maybe i should messgae you about it this time haha
  • PaigeottoPaigeotto Posts: 127 Member
    > @Cbear13 said:
    > Um its up to you @Paigeotto I have some time this morning to go through the practice challenges have another one to do as well as yours so if you want to re enter if you could do it soon that would be great

I decided to wait until I enter the second challenge.. I'd have to remove everything else I have done, haha. Who knows, maybe I already fixed things you mention in my feedback! I know I have some things sticking in walls.. definitely went back and double & triple checked that and fixed those things.
    1f4bGKv.jpg
  • Cbear13Cbear13 Posts: 6,278 Member
    Ah no worries @Paigeotto I should get to it today and have it posted today
    New%20siggie%2011th%20Nov%2015.jpg
    ✦✦ Origin ID: cbear1313 ✦✦ Gallery: cbear1313 Gallery ✦✦ Cbear's Creations ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Practice Challenges ✦✦
    @Paigeotto feedback for Challenge 1, part 1
    Practice Challenge 1

Part 1: Landscaping

My first impressions were that it looks very beautiful and natural and that you did a great job using a few different terrain paints, different plants, garden lights, rocks and trees. So there is a nice variety going on in the gardens.

Starting with the pond, great natural look being fully surrounded by rocks and also including water decorations with the reeds and Algae Clumps. There is a few things though that I could see that could be improved on.
    Firstly we look for things to be realistic and natural and that even goes for the flooring and wall covering in ponds, fountains and pools. So when building a natural pond try chose a natural looking wall and floor covering.

1_2.jpg

Next I noticed from the side view that the pond rocks were placed on top of the path you made so just make sure you arent blocking the way, I felt with such a small pond there was no need to oversize the rocks as the big ones made if feel a bit cramped

2_2.jpg

I also felt here that the hedging in front of the house wall made it a bit to cramped and that it could of been left out so I removed that and moved the flowers back a little to allow more space for the path. I also thought you could add another side gate on the side and continue the path to it (just some suggestions as it was fine without a gate there but I thought it would be better having the path leading to something)
    The other option would be to not put a path going to the left behind the pond and just left it as grass around that area.

I also cleaned up the pathing near the fence so that it ran just to the gate and not just ending half over the fence and half over the house wall.

3_2.jpg

On the other side I left the hedge in front but cleaned it up a little, so you dont want to have terrain paint that is stone or rock or tiles under plants and flowers because it is not natural having them look like they are growing out of stone.
    I moved the path forward a little so that there was grass under the plants. I also cleaned up the pathing so that it ran directly to the door way instead of up against the house wall.
    On the right I defined the path more to go directly to the gate and not stop infront of fencing. I also moved the gate over one tile and added a shrub on the right for decoration but you can leave the gate right over on the side as long as you run the path to it.
    You did a great job it just needs cleaning up a bit

4_2.jpg

Back to the pond the other thing I noticed is the water reeds look to be sticking through the solid rock, in the challenges you will lose points for this as its unrealistic having solid objects sticking through other objects

5_2.jpg

In terms of other placement errors there is only a few very minor placement errors that I thought I would point out just so your aware

These flowers placed near the rocks look to be growing out of the solid rock, if you hold down the ALT button while placing the flowers and also rotate the flowers until you find a good position so that they are placed next to the rocks but look natural and realistic. It is another error that we will take points off for in the challenges.

6_1.jpg

A few more placement errors I found though they are very small put will most likely cause you to lose points, these 3 plants were sticking into the wall of the house slightly so just be careful to have no leaves/flowers sticking into walls

7_1.jpg

Lastly when I build I always start off with a sim in play mode on the lot, that way you can switch between build mode and play mode to test things with sims or to create things to make your build look better. For example the vegetables and things you put in the planter boxes but didnt plant them. Planting them doubles up as nicer decoration and you can speed up the game in play mode to allow them to grow better to look nicer

8_1.jpg

Another great reason to use a sim is you can paint some paintings to place in your build to give it a more unique look with different decoration

I think you did a great job with the terrain painting and the pathing around the sides of the house, you chose some really beautiful and colorful flowers for the garden and I loved you included a bird feeder and pool.

Dont forget with pools you can get creative use different wall and floor coverings in them, add statues on the sides to decorate it more or fountains going into the pool. Also you can create different shaped pools instead of standard rectangle to give a really unique look.

Cant wait to see the next parts keep up the great work and I hope this helps

✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    I do have the interior decorated in this, but it's just for me to get an idea of what I want to do and how I want to do it. I made the changes that you suggested to the landscaping as well as added a bunch of other things. Hope you like it!

Origin ID: Paigeotto
    Challenge/Part no: 2
    Lot name that you built on: Fern Park- Newcrest
    Would you like feedback: Absolutely
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/3683BEC05C0A11E78D1EC9CBD14E8863
    Pictures:
    h ttp://imgur.com/ymF1jwu
    h ttp://imgur.com/dZXmWBs
    h ttp://imgur.com/nadYCHU
    h ttp://imgur.com/JCZaKDl
    1f4bGKv.jpg
    Thanks @Paigeotto sorry only had time to do the comp results yesterday.
    I have time now to check over part 2 :)
    I totally understand! Figured I'd message you as a reminded :P
    1f4bGKv.jpg
    Reminders are always good with my hopeless memory haha
    Paigeotto wrote: »
    I do have the interior decorated in this, but it's just for me to get an idea of what I want to do and how I want to do it. I made the changes that you suggested to the landscaping as well as added a bunch of other things. Hope you like it!

Challenge/Part no: 2
    Lot name that you built on: Fern Park- Newcrest
    Would you like feedback: Absolutely
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/3683BEC05C0A11E78D1EC9CBD14E8863
    Pictures:
    ymF1jwu.png
    dZXmWBs.png
    nadYCHU.png
    JCZaKDl.png

@Paigeotto feedback for Challenge 1, part 2
    Practice Challenge 2

Part 2: House Exterior and Roofing

Firstly a review of part 1, fantastic job fixing it up it looks much cleaner now with the beautiful well defined paths and love what you did on the left side with the columns and fencing.

Still remember to be careful with placement I did find "Hollyhocks" plant sticking into a rock behind the tree which wasnt in your first post

9.jpg

Fantastic addition to the rear garden to with the fenced in little garden bed behind the lounge chairs and love all the little bits added like fountain, pool flooring/wall coverings, plant pots and planted havestables in planter boxes. I really love the changes you made and placement looks fantastic.

Ok onto the exterior and roofing
    Not sure I can critique this at all I absolutely love it, great roofing its unique and creative. It all blends in well and the trim looks great. The exterior is gorgeous I love the wall covering choices and the use of the "Ahhhh-ning" looks fantastic to break up the grey walls and matches the roofing perfectly. I also love the "Artisanal Lattices" used they add a great pop of color which when using plain colors like greys, whites etc on exteriors a bit of color is always great to break it up and brighten it up.

Dont forget night view we always judge and check on night view. While the gardens look great with tons of lights the front of the house is a bit dark and the lights also double up as great decoration.
    Below are before and after shots with just adding a couple lights

10.jpg
    11.jpg

Alot of people do add exterior lights just to the ground floor exterior walls but always forget to do the top levels

As you can see with the rear you lit up the bottom level great but the top part is a bit dark

13.jpg

Though we may not critique this because it is so minor I thought it was worth mentioning just so your aware of it
    Be careful with rugs placed near doorways more often than not we find them sticking under the door frames, while it is very slight it could possibly get picked up on while judging

12.jpg

Well that's all I can mention on this part I absolutely loved it, great use of decoration on the exterior and fab roofing :)

Thank you so much @Cbear13 !!

I can't believe I missed the hollyhocks :c I was sure I got everything, and you're totally right about the added lighting. I was afraid that it would look too cluttered, but since I removed the hedges it looks great. Can't wait to finish the interior of this!
    1f4bGKv.jpg
    It looks amazing @Paigeotto and dont worry about the missed Hollyhocks it happens and we never expect anyone to be perfect in every build (I am sure my builds have tons of errors lol but shhh dont tell anyone)

Im without a laptop for a day or two so will be a bit delayed on doing any feedback until I get it back
  • kimartistkimartist Posts: 455 Member
    edited August 2017
    @Cbear13 I thought this might be fun and learn some new things. I know this is an old challenge, but I hope you still have time to review.

ENTRY FORM
    Origin ID: kimartist
    Challenge/Part no: QC Practice Challenge Part 1
    Lot name that you built on: Willow Creek (Goth)
    Would you like feedback (must supply gallery link if yes): Yes Please :)
    Gallery Link: https://thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/AD614B35677111E7873EC13EA108331C

All images can be seen here

[07_12_17_10_15_32nbsp_PM_zpsycnluiri.png
    07_12_17_10_15_49nbsp_PM_zpswfcnz2z4.png
    07_12_17_10_16_04nbsp_PM_zpspkfqdb8b.png
    07_12_17_10_16_22nbsp_PM_zpsk1l0krz7.png
    07_12_17_10_16_45nbsp_PM_zpsimitywbb.png
    07_12_17_10_17_27nbsp_PM_zpsmpz6fzfz.png
    Post edited by kimartist on
    revisedsig2.png

* * Origin ID: kimartist * * Gallery: kimartist * * Showcase: My Creations * * Picture Albums * * Google+ Collection **
    Follow me for the most current creations.

@kimartist oh wonderful so glad you having a go at the practice challenges and all the challenges are designed to do at any time
    I will find time over the next few days to take a look and do up some feedback :) It looks very pretty from the pictures
    @Cbear13 Thank you, I know your very occupied right now, so when you get to it, that is fine with me.
    revisedsig2.png

* * Origin ID: kimartist * * Gallery: kimartist * * Showcase: My Creations * * Picture Albums * * Google+ Collection **

• arintiaarintia Posts: 251 Member
    I just went through the first practice challenge in this thread. I posted all the screenshots on my simblr, but I'll put down a few here just for fun, but I don't want to make the post too long. I'd appreciate some feedback- I don't care if it's private or public, feedback is feedback. I'll get on to the next challenge soon enough.

My ID is bitgarum, and I named it 'Blue Aura' just for the giggles.
    There is more information on the family I made it for in my post on tumblr.
    tumblr_inline_ot4v8dSkRZ1ullwel_500.png
    tumblr_inline_ot4vok6fsH1ullwel_500.png
    I hope you don't mind that I put down in words how wonderful life is while you're in the world! [ Elton John, Your Song ]
  • Alli-beagleAlli-beagle Posts: 111 Member
    edited July 2017
    Challenge #1 - All Parts
    Small Coastal/Beachside Themed Family Home for YA/Adult Couple and Toddler
    Origin ID: Alli-beagle
    Challenge/Part #: Challenge #1 - All Parts
    Lot name that you built on: Beach Byway
    Would you like feedback?: Yes please, this is my first time trying one of these and I'm curious to see how well I did.
    Gallery Link
    Pictures:
    t1xgTeh.png
    sTARqU2.png
    xP2I4eF.png
    wf2LNU4.png
    6tt9HgL.png
    NA1jIPY.png
    QPRlxu1.png
    SxB9QKZ.png
    0HYaefV.png
    skEo96d.png
    gdDbZuK.png
    sAnCL3k.png
    Nkgt7SD.png
    oqfiaQu.png
    WipAKcC.png
    amQOSnp.png
    CUaVuNo.png
    laknLuu.png
    GX3OBDw.png
    LhZyNI7.png
    hAtDzq1.png
    KyVj4r2.png
    3h6dD7N.png
    Oy1oUHj.png
    dhQpt71.png
    EkP2d1g.png
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    edited July 2017
    Hi @Cbear13 --- I'm still interested in doing the practice challenges because I want to get even better at building B)! Could you give me feedback on it when you have time :D?

Oh, and you may post your feedback publicly in the practice challenge thread. When I wanted you to respond via pm, I hadn't gotten the hang of ALT.

Thanks so much for you help!

Coolsim
    Post edited by coolsim9999999 on
    4kkjdXo.png

Hi @Cbear13 ... I haven't seen you on in a couple days, but I'm sure you are busy. I'm at the same stage (I think) as @coolsim9999999 and don't want to proceed till I hear what you have to say. I'll keep checking back for your critique, as I'm sure there is lots of room for improvement.

Thanks again @Cbear13
    revisedsig2.png

• coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    edited August 2017
    ENTRY FORM
    Origin ID: cat315118
    Challenge 1/Part no: 1, 2 and 3
    Would you like feedback): yes
    Lot name that you built on: Asphalt Abodes in Newcrest
    lot name in gallery: Practice Challenge 1
    @Cbear13 --- I updated the hashtag to #QCpractice --- so you can find it better in the gallery and the lot name in the gallery. It is the same as it was, if you've already downloaded it. I just wanted it to be easier for you to find. I updated the gallery link, as well, in case you need it.
    gallery link:
    https://www.thesims.com/gallery/5156A3987F1F11E7870C5A9D93EC551C?category=lots&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=cat315118&max=50&maxis=false

@Cbear13 --- I made all 3 parts better than they were in my pm's to you, so please give me feedback in this thread --- of this updated version.

I got really excited about doing this build, so I did all 3 parts.

style/theme you went with and also who you decorated it for (how many sims and what ages/sexes are they?) 4 Sims --- 2 parents, 2 school age children --- I used a Little House on the Prairie theme, therefore, I used made a log cabin with a thatched roof. However, it does include some wood siding.

one parents' bedroom and one children's bedroom
    #QCpractice

This is the farm house of the Ingalls family from "Little House on the Prairie" --- with a slightly modern twist --- This house is for 2 parents and the 2 older girls ( Mary and Laura as children) in the family (so 4 Sims) --- they had 4 children eventually for real.
    iJBGTVU.jpg
    street view
    WTK71Dq.jpg
    back and side yards
    J33Zcio.jpg
    both bedrooms and the bathroom
    fp8964Y.jpg
    kitchen with dining area and living room with study nook

Notes:
    I accidentally inverted the intentional layout of this house. I noticed that as I was uploading my last two screenshots! However, it is symmetrical :# --- and the front of the house does face the street. Luckily, there is a hallway, so guests will still enter a public area of the house.

The Ingalls family had an oak tree in Wisconsin in the "Big Woods" before they moved out west to the prairie. I even included Pa's fiddle :)!

Creative Notes:
    Some bareness is present in the build because the Ingalls family was poor. Their crops kept getting ruined a lot of years. I used decorations that they could have made by hand. Pa could have carved or made the wooden items, and Ma could have sewn things, such as the flower decals on the girls’ bedroom wall (pretend the decals are cloth or made from her bag of scraps. The real flowers could have been gathered on the prairie. There picture of the oranges is meant to be a wooden piece that Pa made, with an embroidered piece that one of the girls made and Pa nailed to the wood to make that decoration in the living room. I did, however, place a cookie jar, among several additional store bought items because when Pa would go to the nearest town 40 miles away, he would always buy a few items for which they had saved up.

However, I did put a stove and refrigerator, as well as items with running water, such as sinks and the bathtub. Therefore, I kept it basically within that time period (the 1870s/ 1880s) --- so things are from maybe the 1910s or 1920s, but they blend well.

Thanks a lot,

Coolsim
    Post edited by coolsim9999999 on
    4kkjdXo.png

This is the first home for the Chang's; Newlyweds with a bundle of joy. They wanted each room to have its own personality, a little bit eclectic with a homey feel. They also did not want to over-do the kitchen and compromise space when they are cooking delicious meals for the family. Although their bathroom is very small, they wanted it to be luxurious. With such a big back yard, they thought that this home would be perfect for them and when they are ready to have a second child, they will be able to expand.

Challenge/Part no: Challenge 1- Part 3
    Lot name that you built on: Newcrest- Fern Park
    Would you like feedback: Yes
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/04EC26327A4111E78D8A7920F38E5392
    Pictures:

h ttp://imgur.com/VrK34yP
    h ttp://imgur.com/9wv7VSX
    h ttp://imgur.com/c0tLRuG
    h ttp://imgur.com/zKOCQD5
    h ttp://imgur.com/sBJZlhq
    h ttp://imgur.com/V90EkuF
    h ttp://imgur.com/zEcYiEh
    h ttp://imgur.com/6KQUQnl
    h ttp://imgur.com/U0wx7iM
    h ttp://imgur.com/9C5Nzyx
    1f4bGKv.jpg
    For part one of this practice challenge I really just wanted to add some basic details and get the feel of where I am going to go with my build. Like in the previous challenge, I'm sure I will change a bunch of things.

Challenge/Part no: Challenge 2- Part 1
    Lot name that you built on: Civic Cliffs
    Would you like feedback: Always
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/gallery/A9B6A6E27AE111E78A827920F38E5392
    Pictures:

h ttp://imgur.com/jRKIjyK
    h ttp://imgur.com/PSTAdkD
    h ttp://imgur.com/zulkyDV
    1f4bGKv.jpg
    @Cbear13 Are you still reviewing the practice challenge?
    revisedsig2.png

> @kimartist said:
    > @Cbear13 Are you still reviewing the practice challenge?

Ahhh, I'd like to know this as well. From scrolling through the other QC threads, I think there are some personal issues that she is dealing with. Not 100% sure of that. I really want to start the challenge though D: I might just do it, haha.
    1f4bGKv.jpg
    Yes, her brother has been sick. Enough other challenge going on to keep me busy.
    revisedsig2.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top