Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You have to use Origin nowadays.

This is what someone else told me: "You have to use Origin nowadays. I don't think there's a way around it. When I installed everything on my laptop when I first got it, it made me download Origin first."

I'm getting rather agitated, is anyone awake to help with this? Should I cancel the Sims 3 base I ordered?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm awake and an unused base game disc manufactured before Sept. 2012, as the Collectors Edition in the green box would be if they have described it accurately, would not require Origin. If used for a clean installation of the game, the offer will come up to install either the EADM (EA Download Manager, that's Origin's predecessor) or Origin itself, or both, but they aren't requirements.

Base game discs manufactured after Sept 2012 or so that come in a white box, often with "Going Social" at the top, were a product refresh at the time and do require Origin.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Like it's for said, with a base game manufactured before 2012, even used, can be used without origin. I have the original base game from release day and run Sims 3 on my desktop without origin everyday.

You could buy used, just know you more than likely won't be able to register a used game to your Sims 3 account. That doesn't stop you from installing and playing the game, but I can't vouch for the store and how that works. My base game is registered and I own the store and haven't had a problem downloading or buying from the store, even without using origin. Just my experience.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited June 2017
    Adding to what's been said already...

If you don't have the base game registered to your account then you want to buy the base game sealed and new to have store access. Register that to your account with the store stuff owned. (pre-2012 copy of course) EA shouldn't yank this one from your account since it's a code straight from a never been opened box. Otherwise, a used base game pre-2012 copy would work if you already have one registered. The packs can be used and I posted about used copies in your other thread.

Currently in the process of installing my disc collection as we speak. Halfway through and I'm still on patch 1.67. Store stuff works but I have a registered account to download from. Here are the steps I took:
    1. In the Origin client, at the top Origin > Application Settings > Automatic game updates - OFF
    2. Uninstall digital collection. (If it's currently installed.)
    3. Download and Run CCleaner to clean registry. (free version)
    4. Download 1.67 superpatch
    5. Turn off wifi
    6. Install Base Game pre-2012 (When it asks, say NO to EA Download Manager and Origin.)
    7. Open the Sims 3 launcher, Game Updates > uncheck Automatic updates
    8. Install 1.67 superpatch
    9. Install the rest of the packs. (Must be physical copies like the base game.)

*I don't know if step 5 is necessary but I was afraid Origin would phone home. After it's all done, you can turn it back on.
    E.T-Phone-Home-Film-Movie-Gifs-Funny.gif

If you don't need Origin for any other game, you can uninstall it completely.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I am bookmarking this for future reference. I eventually want to detach Sims 3 from Origin. :)@Simasaurus09 you mentioned uninstalling the digital collection. Does that apply to all physical (registered) copies as well? I have an all disc install (except for store only items). I originally bought the starter pack which ties me in to Origin, but my daughter found the older copy used for $4. Is it possible to just uninstall the physical base game? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    edited June 2017
    UPDATE: Got all the disks and installed the base game, I'm at version 1.0.631.00001 per the launcher... when I got to installing superpatch I got this:

Calpture.png

UPDATE to the UPDATE: Nevermind, I found the manual .exe version, the rebuild continues...

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    MadIris wrote: »
    UPDATE: Got all the disks and installed the base game, I'm at version 1.0.631.00001 per the launcher... when I got to installing superpatch I got this:
    You did clean the Registry before re-installing the base game?

Try installing an EP if you can, that will raise the patch level. Then try the Super Patch again.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    edited June 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    MadIris wrote: »
    You did clean the Registry before re-installing the base game?

Try installing an EP if you can, that will raise the patch level. Then try the Super Patch again.

Yes, with ccleaner. The deed is already done per above (found the executable patch version that worked perfectly)
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    @Odonata68 I'm sorry I only got around to responding now. You have the game installed already by disc but you're on patch 1.69 because of the starter pack. This means you must uninstall your disc installs because you're on patch 1.69.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited June 2017
    @Simasaurus09 thanks for your response. :) That's what I was afraid of :/ I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that because the only game in the Origin folder is the base game (D: > Program Files(x86) > Origin). All the other eps and sps are in a different path (D: > Program Files(x86) > Electronic Arts). Oh well :)
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    Today's mess started when Windows 10 and El Capitan decided not to support the Sims 3 DRM of SecuROM and SafeDisc citing poor support (I would have said nonexistent support - my opinion). Your game should continue to play until you reinstall or try to install any new DLC. If you used the version 1.67 manual super patch, Origin will patch the game to version 1.69 which removes and/or disables SecuROM and SafeDisc. After that there is no install limit and you no longer need a disc in the optical drive to play. At this time Origin is the DRM. I rather have Origin then a rootkit like SecuROM on my system. I have games in both Steam and Origin and have no problems running Sims 3 on Origin.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.